If the life cycle of the PlayBook appears to be near and BlackBerry Bridge is no longer supporting OS 10 why did BlackBerry release an OS 2 update?

How useful will my PlayBook be this time next year if my Z10 is doing my PlayBook type functionality that I couldn't do on my 9810 Torch?

Why?????
    09-14-13 12:09 AM
    IMO, your playbook will be as useful next year as it was last year.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-14-13 12:25 AM
    LoL so how come I cannot text or send mms from my PlayBook like with OS7 and BlackBerry Bridge?

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and Carl Estes like this.
    09-14-13 12:33 AM
    IMO, your playbook will be as useful next year as it was last year.
    Is there another update coming?

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 12:34 AM
    the update was for a security patch I think mostly.
    09-14-13 12:40 AM
    LoL so how come I cannot text or send mms from my PlayBook like with OS7 and BlackBerry Bridge?

Posted via CB10
    That's on you. Nobody forced you to get rid of your OS7 phone.
    cmdr_dan and Carl Estes like this.
    09-14-13 12:41 AM
    Actually, that "update" is supposedly to be released before they trick us with BB10 coming to PlayBook... that's why it doesn't really addressed important issues... so, to lessen the suspicion that BB10 will not come to PlayBook, they halted it release... so, why they released it now? what to do it right now?... instead of deleting it, they released it... afterall, it is already finished and available since then...

Posted via Z10
    09-14-13 12:47 AM
    BB's just takin' out the trash before getting bought,,, ditching all the updates & stock they have on hand...
    BerryClever likes this.
    09-14-13 12:57 AM
    The number of updates downloaded tells BB the level of remaining interest in the Playbook.
    nappp and jkomo001 like this.
    09-14-13 03:11 AM
    So much bad information here.

Posted via CB10
    KDB84, deemgee, vespajet and 1 others like this.
    09-14-13 07:11 AM
    So much bad information here.

Posted via CB10
    And you can refute this bad information right?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-14-13 08:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    Excellent point. Altho, as Pacoman noted, that pb still does what it did. They just CRIPPLED BRIDGE on the bb10 devices, sadly.
    cmdr_dan and Carl Estes like this.
    09-14-13 11:23 AM
    BB's just takin' out the trash before getting bought,,, ditching all the updates & stock they have on hand...
    Well, that makes as much sense as...well, nothing else I can think of.
    09-14-13 12:10 PM
    Excellent point. Altho, as Pacoman noted, that pb still does what it did. They just CRIPPLED BRIDGE on the bb10 devices, sadly.
    I never really used BlackBerry Bridge beyond what it currently does with BB10 devices. I do miss being able to access files on my phone like in the versions for the older BBOS and that's able it. I never used it to send texts (I barely text anyway) nor did I ever use BBM on it.

BlackBerry will still provide software updates for the foreseeable future, but at some point, they will discontinue updates and support. This is not unusual, as for example, Microsoft will end extended support of Windows XP next April, Windows Vista will see the same fate in April 2017 and Windows 7 will in January 2020.
    09-14-13 12:30 PM
    I never really used BlackBerry Bridge beyond what it currently does with BB10 devices. I do miss being able to access files on my phone like in the versions for the older BBOS and that's able it. I never used it to send texts (I barely text anyway) nor did I ever use BBM on it.

BlackBerry will still provide software updates for the foreseeable future, but at some point, they will discontinue updates and support. This is not unusual, as for example, Microsoft will end extended support of Windows XP next April, Windows Vista will see the same fate in April 2017 and Windows 7 will in January 2020.
    I used the pb and Bridge constantly. I opened most of my email or calendar events on the pb. I did not set up native email or calendar. I only read the email that came to the 9930 (9650) preferring the larger size of the pb to read the email that was nicely FILTERED by BIS.

I can still access Z10 files using my pb. I just opened the included FileManager app and it shows the z10 and I even just played a music track residing on the phone ON THE PB.
    09-14-13 01:04 PM
    Let's see.. SMS via bridge had been a nice one. Except that you still have the rest like email, contacts, calendar. Phone files can be accessed via manager, bridge or file&folder app. Most phone stuff can be viewed on PB via sharing. All that being put aside the PB remotely controls PC, runs a lot of native or Android apps or games, browses i-net, plays music and movies, HDMIes, does GPS guidance, reads books, has fully functional office..
    But you're right - same time next year your PB would still refuse to jump into a lake and fetch a ball. Though I'm not nilling that other tablets just might..
    09-14-13 03:03 PM
    Well, that makes as much sense as...well, nothing else I can think of.
    which is exacty why it makes perfect sense...
    09-14-13 04:25 PM
    the update was for a security patch I think mostly.

Wow! A 367Mb patch?
    09-14-13 10:33 PM
    Or one can be optimistic or high from inhalation of medicinal prescription that BB is laying groundwork for a major update.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-14-13 11:05 PM
    Happy with what you have.
    09-15-13 06:04 AM
    TH told us there will be BB10 on Playbook, so I purchased 2 Playbooks. Now I feel totally Jerked by this Company. Does this not bother anyone? Update? Big deal! This is exactly how to win back customers? And what happened to Netflix? Another broken promise. We can criticize Apple, but they NEVER lied to me! Goodnite!
    09-15-13 11:58 PM
    TH told us there will be BB10 on Playbook, so I purchased 2 Playbooks. Now I feel totally Jerked by this Company. Does this not bother anyone?
    Nope. You're the first person to bring this up.
    09-16-13 12:11 AM
    Wow! A 367Mb patch?
    Don't forget that it should include all the previous updates. New stuff will be this update minus the previous one
    09-16-13 04:06 AM
    And you can refute this bad information right?
    As easily as you can prove it.
    09-16-13 05:33 PM
    Since the download is to solid state storage it may not be possible to delete pieces of old code and insert snippets of new code.. Thus the procedure may be to dump the the old OS and replace it with the new. Since this seems to bother a lot of people perhaps some one who really understands the process might clear this up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-16-13 06:30 PM
34 12