Have bought my PB for 2 months. Very slow progress on apps and system improvement. So frustrating... Now considering to sell it.
    07-10-11 08:38 PM
    then go for it.
    you really made an account just to say that?

Welcome to CB, i guess.
    esqlaw, Dapper37 and Torontocell like this.
    07-10-11 08:41 PM
    Why no PB apps? Because many of us developers do not want to write apps in HTML/JavaScript or Adobe Air. RIM hasn't yet provided a way for us to use Java or C++ on the PlayBook. All that is due to come out over the next few months.
    howarmat, esqlaw and 5363767 like this.
    07-10-11 08:42 PM
    I think its always a good idea to reasearch the device you plan on buying to see what is available at that time as well as planned apps and system upgrades.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-11 08:43 PM
    Have bought my PB for 2 months. Very slow progress on apps and system improvement. So frustrating... Now considering to sell it.
    I'll take a shot, let me see um BECAUSE IT ONLY CAME OUT 3 MONTHS AGO. Your first post and thats what you say? Must be Steve Jobs new account. What does that make 10 accounts for Steve. How many apps were there when the Iphone just came out?
    esqlaw likes this.
    07-10-11 08:49 PM
    I've been a blackberry user for long time and I love its products all the time. That's why I bought pb even though it has not been well developed. I thought RIM can sort this out quickly. But...

P.S. I've been browsing CB without registering an ID. I know it's not good to write the first post with complaint. Sorry about that. But at least I am now still holding pb, expecting more apps and Chinese input method. Hope it will be very soon...
    07-10-11 08:52 PM
    Why no PB apps? Because many of us developers do not want to write apps in HTML/JavaScript or Adobe Air. RIM hasn't yet provided a way for us to use Java or C++ on the PlayBook. All that is due to come out over the next few months.
    Thanks for sharing
    07-10-11 08:56 PM
    PB 3 months.
    BB 12 years.

bluemax413 likes this.
    07-10-11 09:01 PM
    Take it easy on the OP... he/she had a thought and they expressed it. It would have been easier to just answer why (to those who didn't... thanks to those who did).

5363767... it's also been a couple of months since it's released. Unlike BlackBerry devices, the PB is based off of QNX, which means, it's not easy to just update the BB apps to work on the PB.
    trsbbs and 5363767 like this.
    07-10-11 09:05 PM
    I think its always a good idea to reasearch the device you plan on buying to see what is available at that time as well as planned apps and system upgrades.

Although RIM seems to be able to with Their implementation of native email and whatnot.

howarmat likes this.
    07-10-11 09:07 PM
    I'll take a shot, let me see um BECAUSE IT ONLY CAME OUT 3 MONTHS AGO. Your first post and thats what you say? Must be Steve Jobs new account. What does that make 10 accounts for Steve. How many apps were there when the Iphone just came out?
    Look I am not defending the OP's post but I cannot stand the argument about how many app the iphone had when it came out 4 YEARS AGO. There was not much of a precedent for apps. When the PB came out BB KNEW it needed apps to be competitive and it did not have any that made the PB a must have. They supposedly have this great app company TAT and what have we seen from them?????? Face it RIM could have really made a great impact with all this device COULD do but instead they rushed it out and are making promises that they are not keeping.

BTW, OP...not a good start to your Crackberry Career.
    07-10-11 09:14 PM
    If i was researching the PB a month ago i would find that the CEO mentioned PIM apps would be available somewhere around June 19th. I would see a statement from amazon promoting kindle. Skype saying "they have all the tools" to make their app. I would see alot of things promised or atleast hinted at being available very soon. One would feel fairly safe to purchase said tablet and and the updates that were soon to come. Its unfortunate nothing has come about in the way yet.

Its very hard to find concrete info out there on what will come and when.
    07-10-11 09:16 PM
    Take it easy on the OP... he/she had a thought and they expressed it. It would have been easier to just answer why (to those who didn't... thanks to those who did).

5363767... it's also been a couple of months since it's released. Unlike BlackBerry devices, the PB is based off of QNX, which means, it's not easy to just update the BB apps to work on the PB.
    I forgot that pb is based on different platform. Thanks! Hope RIM can really expedite the development. Am checking the system update and app world many times a day.
    07-10-11 09:17 PM
    It is really unfortunate a lot of the things we expected from RIM and major App studio's didn't happen

RIM clearly dropped the Ball developing SDK's

They had a GREAT Idea for a promotion giving away free Playbooks if you developed an App before launch... Problem was they limited people to such crappy languages to develop in, and didn't provide the UI tools to make them really shine!

I keep saying give the Playbook time, we'll see some killer apps by Christmas I'm sure, It has all the hardware magic to be great, the App developers just need the tools to make the quality apps!
    5363767, howarmat and dkonigs like this.
    07-10-11 09:21 PM
    Look I am not defending the OP's post but I cannot stand the argument about how many app the iphone had when it came out 4 YEARS AGO. There was not much of a precedent for apps. When the PB came out BB KNEW it needed apps to be competitive and it did not have any that made the PB a must have. They supposedly have this great app company TAT and what have we seen from them?????? Face it RIM could have really made a great impact with all this device COULD do but instead they rushed it out and are making promises that they are not keeping.

BTW, OP...not a good start to your Crackberry Career.
    Let me get this straight you are saying RIM rushed the PB out with an unfinished OS (I agree) but some how they should have had a bunch of apps ready to go on release and have them work on rushed, unfinished OS? No way in a billion years will there be any new tablets with a new operating system released that has a boat load of apps ready to go on release. Its the users that make the apps not the company.
    Last edited by dfaris; 07-10-11 at 10:26 PM.
    07-10-11 09:23 PM
    Let me get this straight you are saying RIM rushed the PB out with an unfinished OS (I agree) but some how they should have had a bunch of apps ready to go on release and have them work on rushed, unfinished OS? No way in a billion years with there be any new tablet with a new operating system released that has a boat load of apps ready to go on release. Its the users that make the apps not the company.

Boatload? No. Netflix, Yes, Better Document editing support? Yes, Some fun apps similar to Garageband, Iphoto, and Imovie? Yes. That scrapbook app was pretty cool from what I saw, but I have not seen RIM pushing that.

Let me see if I can set the scenerio that I think would have made the PB a little more desireable. At BB World somebody that has some energy comes out and says check out the PB, you want to watch movies on it via Netflix...got it. Wanna edit a document got it. Want to take a video of your kids and edit it while on vacation and play it back that night on the TV, got it...Want to fire off an email...got it. Want to make a cool slideshow of all the pics you took with this unbelievable camera, got it. Want to read a book, we got Kindle on here, oh and it fits in your pocket.

Instead you got a kinda release date with little to no marketing and terrible reviews from almost every tech site.

If they had kept this quiet, and not announced it 6-8 months before it was "kind of" ready they could have dropped a bomb on people. THey could have had all the big developers sign NDA's and really made a splash.

Oh and then at BB World said "And by the way its available to order today and will be in stores next week!!!!" People would have went nuts (IMO)

So a boatload of apps? No. But 15-20 that people really wanted and could have used? Yep!
    TBone4eva likes this.
    07-10-11 10:24 PM
    Well if you are going to make sense and say things that would have worked and made the Playbook a very hot item I'm just not gonna play any more
    07-10-11 10:30 PM
    Well if you are going to make sense and say things that would have worked and made the Playbook a very hot item I'm just not gonna play any more
    Well Played
    07-10-11 10:37 PM
    RIM clearly dropped the Ball developing SDK's
    This explains so much of the current situation, yet I doubt most people on these forums actually understand what that even means. As I jokingly said in a different thread a while back, most people here "seem to think a developer is a mythical creature that holds a magic hat that pops out apps if the right spell is cast. Casting that spell requires frog's breath, eye of newt, and the collected CrackBerry forum rantings about what's missing on App World."
    07-11-11 07:21 AM
    i dont think we people complain about lack of apps they are blaming the devs all the time. I think frustration lies with RIM and also on the devs both. There is beta NDK out there i think afterall
    07-11-11 01:30 PM
    I always have to wonder when these kind of posts pop up..

Clearly there are not as MANY apps as there are for some other platforms, but when you notice that please tell us exactly what apps you desire that are missing - the quantity of apps available does not matter, if most of them are useless to you.

It is the quality and functionality of the app that matters..

If there is an app you are missing, be part of the solution! tell us what it is and chances are a developer will pick up on it and create it.

Quality not quantity!

07-11-11 02:06 PM
    i dont think we people complain about lack of apps they are blaming the devs all the time. I think frustration lies with RIM and also on the devs both. There is beta NDK out there i think afterall
    Um, no there isn't a beta NDK yet. Nothing has been released publicly, as far as I know. (and I regularly monitor all the BB sites, including RIM's developer blog)

We know something exists that a few select partners (i.e. EA) have access to under NDA, but the broader community still have nothing but friggin WebWorks and Adobe Air.
    07-11-11 02:15 PM
    you are correct, the beta NDK is suppose to be available in...wait for it....SUMMER, like everything else
    07-11-11 02:28 PM
    I am in the BB Alliance program, and we haven't even seen any form of a native SDK yet. Makes me wonder what that $4K+ annual fee is really good for....
    07-11-11 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD