no troll, just wondering
    08-30-12 11:31 AM
    I'm not sure why it should be IMHO but CB has a great app that you can download right from this website works great for me.
    08-30-12 11:35 AM
    The CB app is a skinned tapatalk app, and tapatalk hasn't developed an app for PlayBook/BB10. Hopefully they will at some point...
    08-30-12 11:44 AM
    That is a good question that I would love to hear the answer to as well. I have the CB forum app and to be honest it is really nice and works much better then the CrackBerry Blog app which I deleted one day after installing...but why an Android app vs a native app?? Kenin?? Adam??
    08-30-12 11:53 AM
    I was kind of surprised when I ran it yesterday and the Android Player launched. I've never used or seen tapatalk. It looked nice and I only checked out one or two threads.

What's the NATIVE one?

Frankly, on my pb, I prefer the full version of the site when NOT logged in. You know, with the Ads on the right side but I can zoom the shorter left hand items and don't have to scroll to read them. If I log on, then the lines get extended across the entire screen (the ads are gone) and when zoomed, I have to scroll left/right. I find that a bit Quirky that it is easier to read when NOT logged in.
    08-30-12 12:21 PM
    I think that people who use the word "native" in the context of BB10 apps should say exactly what they mean by the term. Failing that, they should avoid using the term altogether. The problem is that the term is ambiguous to the degree that it is meaningless. If you don't believe me, lets discuss whether an app written using the Air SDK or Webworks is "native" or not. While we're at it, lets also discuss whether an existing app written in c and using open source libraries is "native" after having been compiled using RIM's NDK but without changes to the UI. Can it be considered "native" if it does not even attempt to conform to what RIM is calling the the "native look and feel"?

Here is a quote from an email that I received from RIM this morning:

"With bbUI.js you can easily create BlackBerry� apps using HTML5/WebWorks that have a native look and feel. Attend the webcast to learn everything there is to know about bbUI.js; what it is, how it works, and why we built it. Plus, get the answers you’re looking for from our RIM� expert."

Apps written using this tool will be indistinguishable from apps written using the NDK/Cascades. There will be varying reasons why a developer might choose one SDK over another. But, in the end, a developer would be a fool to choose the Native Development Kit for the sole reason that she thinks this particular SDK is vastly superior to the others. This is simply not the case.

Obviously RIM is trying diligently to make it possible to write "native" apps using a wide variety of development tools. Using the word "native" to mean "not compiled intoi an APK file before converting into a native PB app" is just wrong in my mind. To me, "native" means "complying with the BB10 native look and feel". Nothing more, nothing less.
    08-30-12 12:34 PM
    CB the true blackberry fan Site not even offering a native app, thought with these new tools it was made easy for development. Downloaded and deleted so as soon I realized it was a port.
    08-30-12 12:34 PM
    Yea I'm not a fan of Android ports either

As it's a skin of tapa talk's Android App, let's hope that they make an app that's specific to BB10 soon & that CB can then skin that one & update their current one.
    08-30-12 12:54 PM
    CB the true blackberry fan Site not even offering a native app, thought with these new tools it was made easy for development. Downloaded and deleted so as soon I realized it was a port.
    why does it matter if its a port or not? It works... really well actually so i don't understand why you would delete it
    SifJar, drjay868 and anon(3896606) like this.
    08-30-12 12:59 PM
    I like cb in the browser full site on my pb. Just like on my laptop.
    drjay868, Hgouck and saudadeii like this.
    08-30-12 01:05 PM
    Um maybe because this site for some time has been all about the movement to develop apps for playbook and the phones and it takes the easy road out and skins a port? Just an observation.
    So you're saying that while Cascades isn't available and the best option is to port over an android app isn't good enough for the community?

Kevin and others work damn hard on this site, and they decided to do something fun while waiting for the ability to create an app for the site, they help us out and give us something at least and your saying it's not good enough?

It doesn't matter if it's ported or not, the crackberry team worked on this for us, and it's a shame people are "disgusted" and delete it because it's not native? Geez people are never happy....
    Last edited by QuIcKsIlV3r; 08-30-12 at 01:10 PM.
    08-30-12 01:07 PM
    You do realize that any app that goes through App World is a BlackBerry app yes? There are MANY ways to get it there, but they are all BlackBerry applications. Port or not, it doesnt matter. How many people play GoF? How about most of the emulators? There are TONS of ported apps. Why do you care if its from an Android dev? Showing malice will only ever prevent them from developing for the device again.
    SifJar, BuzzStarField and drjay868 like this.
    08-30-12 01:11 PM
    Kevin pretty much summed up the reasoning in a comment in the blog post. Download the FREE CrackBerry Forums for PlayBook app from App World today! | CrackBerry.com

2nd comment down.
    08-30-12 01:26 PM
    Well, it doesn't require as much work as it would take building a native app.

That was easy.
    08-30-12 01:35 PM
    meh! Quite frankly, I see no advantage to using this app. I simply bookmark the forums and use the native browser.

I do not have to login every time.

It runs as fast as the CB app on my PB.

Navigation is the same as using my PC and it's browser.

I don't mind the ads as they are not intrusive.
    08-30-12 02:16 PM
    thanks, kevin's comment pretty much answers my original question.
    08-30-12 03:41 PM
    I think MY definition of NATIVE is not needing the Android Player.

At least, with the official OS, only ONE android app runs at a time. The interface is not as friendly, not that every "native" (not android nor ported) uses a standard or friendly interface or MENU system.
    Darlaten and BBPandy like this.
    08-30-12 03:49 PM
    I see Shao dropped my answer in here. But just to reiterate... definitely trying to line things up to kick with a native BB10 CrackBerry app for when the phones launch. Ideally want an all encompassing BB10 app - tying blogs, forums, store, etc. all in one. That's a big task as we have a LOT of stuff going on in our service offering...

In the meantime, we didn't want to have no apps for our forum users who have been asking for them. So we worked with Tapatalk, who has app clients for our forum content management system, to get CB versions done. We got the BBOS one done for the phones. For the PlayBook, our only near term solution with them was to bring over the Android app. As I said.. this app isn't the end game - it's a hold me over. I agree with many too who say the website on the PlayBook is great. That's still my preference too. But the app runs pretty well, even if in the android player.

It's free.. if you like it, use it. If not, don't. And in the meantime we're working behind the scenes to ramp things up for BB10.
    08-30-12 06:23 PM
    I see Shao dropped my answer in here. But just to reiterate... definitely trying to line things up to kick with a native BB10 CrackBerry app for when the phones launch. Ideally want an all encompassing BB10 app - tying blogs, forums, store, etc. all in one. That's a big task as we have a LOT of stuff going on in our service offering...

In the meantime, we didn't want to have no apps for our forum users who have been asking for them. So we worked with Tapatalk, who has app clients for our forum content management system, to get CB versions done. We got the BBOS one done for the phones. For the PlayBook, our only near term solution with them was to bring over the Android app. As I said.. this app isn't the end game - it's a hold me over. I agree with many too who say the website on the PlayBook is great. That's still my preference too. But the app runs pretty well, even if in the android player.

It's free.. if you like it, use it. If not, don't. And in the meantime we're working behind the scenes to ramp things up for BB10.
    Any chance that even if we LOG IN, we can see the narrower column mode that you get when not logged in and the ads show up on the right side? I can zoom nicely the UNLOGGED version and not have to scroll but as soon as I log in, the narrow column widens and the larger font needs left/right/left scrolling. I log in only to reply which then throws off the width. Just a consideration....
    08-30-12 07:03 PM
    I like CB in the browser.... but I also like this app. Its snappy and kinda organizes the forum nicely. I was amazed at the amount of functionality the app actually has. Edit posts, subscribe to threads, favorites,... etc. You guys may wanna give it a try. Its SOLID on the latest 2.1 beta. The android player on this build works so well, that it blurs the lines between android player and "native" apps. :thumbup:
    08-30-12 07:13 PM
    I agree with most should not be ported app at least not for crackberry to playbook..
    08-30-12 07:22 PM
    I was a pretty solid devotee of the website launched from the cb app, but I gotta say this tapatalk app is fast and really easy to use. it used to me off to have to try and zoom in to peck the page numbers. I like this better.

for some reason the keyboard seems to work better too. maybe the app uses less memory than the browser?

smooth and fast. can't wait for os10 and the full cb app!
    08-30-12 08:51 PM
    I was kind of surprised when I ran it yesterday and the Android Player launched. I've never used or seen tapatalk.
    I was surprised too, and disappointed.... and it didn't seem to work very well for me. Note: none of my Android apps have worked very well since I upgraded to the (now pulled) 2.0.668 release

I assume that when BB10 is released to the PlayBook, they will upgrade to a true PlayBook app... I hope so!
    08-31-12 02:41 AM
    Well we still have the option of using the CB website through the PlayBook's browser! (or whatever browser you choose)
    08-31-12 02:47 AM
    why does it matter if its a port or not? It works... really well actually so i don't understand why you would delete it
    Yep I have Tapatalk on both my playbook and my DROID razr. The two work exactly the same. Early ports on the playbook had some issues. They worked it out. So why not use it.

Sent from my flip-phone.r
    08-31-12 03:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD