There has been plenty of rumors flying around the world wide web that a bigger PlayBook is in the works. Some even claim to have seen prototypes used by RIM employees that seem like a bigger version of PlayBook.

I have no doubt at all that there are consumers in the market who would love a bigger screen, and having more choices is definitely good for consumers. But my question today, is that can RIM afford to put out a bigger PlayBook now?

My opinion, NO.

Here is why.

Firstly, If there were indeed a bigger PlayBook, perhaps 10 in screen size as rumoured, a higher resolution display would be necessary. Which is the bulk of the issue here, RESOLUTION.

That means that current PlayBook apps which is on 1024 X 600 would require the need for developer to update their apps. Much like what happened with the new iPad with retina display. With what i see currently in the ecosystem, RIM is still trying to pursue more developer to jump on board into developing for their platform. They are still working hard on that, but from what I am see, still more work needs to be done. I honestly do not think that they could put on the additional stress on current developers to update their app. They are not Apple, they cannot afford to do whatever they want and risk losing any current developers. (Taking into mind that the new BlackBerry platform is still not picking up enough traction fro developers just yet.) OR. They could go the Android route of just scaling up phone apps to tablet size, but I think that would make the apps look crappy.

Keeping in mind my points above, there is no way to release a bigger tablet with the same resolution of the current PlayBook at 1024 X 600. It would just make the whole tablet look cheap. The current 7 in PlayBook is currently standing at 169ppi, which looks fantastic, and is higher ppi than the previous iPad 2 at 132 ppi. Doing something like that now, with the new retina iPad already out, would be suicidal.

So in my humble opinion, RIM should just keep to their 7 in screen form factor at 1024 X 600 and only consider a bump in their resolution, or release a bigger tablet until later. After the BB10 phones are out, and there are enough developers on board already.

my 0.2 cents.
    CairnsRock and BB10FTW like this.
    03-21-12 10:39 PM
    After i posted about wanting a 720p (1280 X 500) display in a 4.5in size and posting a drafted picture, deRusett pointed out that for my idea, it would not be doable due to the space requirements for the components. He suggested 4in instead. Which got me thinking. Maybe a 4in screen with 1024 X 600 would be a better idea.

Having the same resolution as the playbook would mean that the new BB10 phone could run the same apps already on the PlayBook. The developers would not need to resize their apps specifically for the phones. This mean that in the app world, there would only be 2 kinds of apps. One for legacy BBOS device, the other for BB10 devices (PlayBook and Phones). This would be a bonus for developers as they would not have to do extra work to get their app onto different devices. 1 app that could fit into any device. Without the need to scale the apps. This would eliminate the problems developer are facing with the Android platform. With the wide array of different phones, different screen sizes, resolution, and what not.

I am not saying that RIM should not improve on the resolution of their devices, but i am just saying not yet. Not until BB10 picks up traction and more developers are already on board.

Also, with 1024 X 600 on a smaller device like a phone, we can have something that is super high resolution. This resolution on a 4 in screen would mean 296 ppi. Which although is still less pixels per inch compared to the iPhone 4(S) but is frankly, already more than sufficient.

From what i have imagined, the phone could be no wider than a Bold 9900 even with a 4 in screen. In my opinion, 4 in is a pretty perfect size to have on a phone. Still portable, and pocketable for most. Plus the width on the Bold 9900 makes it easy to type on. I used to have an iPhone as my daily driver for at least 2 years, and I have found it a little tight when it comes to typing.

Well, although i would still love to have a 720p (1280 X 750) display on BB10, 1024 X 600 seems to be the more logical way to go. Also it really isn't that bad at all. I mean playing a 720p video on my PlayBook still looks pretty awesome.
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 03-21-12 at 10:50 PM.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    03-21-12 10:46 PM
    You make excellent points... However you left out one important fact... The 7" Playbook is now being firesaled at $199.95... At that price RIM will not be able to raise the price to the point where they make a profit.... The Playbook like or not is now viewed at a $199 tablet.... and any attempt to sell it at its original price would be met with the usual critisism.... and total lack of interest.... In essence the Playbook in its current incarnation is dead in the water....

What is interesting is that the 10" Playbook with bb10 may be the only way for RIM to continue in the tablet community... I think a name change along with a size change would be a good idea just to distance itself from the current Playbook and its discounted price.....
    03-21-12 10:50 PM
    You make excellent points... However you left out one important fact... The 7" Playbook is now being firesaled at $199.95... At that price RIM will not be able to raise the price to the point where they make a profit.... The Playbook like or not is now viewed at a $199 tablet.... and any attempt to sell it at its original price would be met with the usual critisism.... and total lack of interest.... In essence the Playbook in its current incarnation is dead in the water....

What is interesting is that the 10" Playbook with bb10 may be the only way for RIM to continue in the tablet community... I think a name change along with a size change would be a good idea just to distance itself from the current Playbook and its discounted price.....
    Very true, but there is very little RIM could do about that right now. The playbook is now selling, mostly because of its price. It can never go back to its previous price again.

They should do a 10" version, just not now. Not until BB10 for phones is out and well received. Not until BB10 is made available on the current playbook. Not until there is enough quality apps in the appworld. Like it or not there are still a few crucial apps that people want, but are still not available yet. I have everything i need on my playbook already, but i'm not everyone. IMO, a 10" playbook, even with BB10 would not change anything without a supporting ecosystem.

When BB10 has been well received by the critics, and there are enough apps and developer support for the platform, release both a 7" and 10" PlayBook with BB10 as a 2nd iteration of PlayBook, with a pricing that would actually yield profit for RIM. Then it will allow RIM to be competitive and viable to go on in the tablet market.
    03-21-12 11:51 PM
    I think it doesn't matter how the size is. More important is that how good they optimize the UI and the contents for that size of tablets. 7"inch playbook is fine but they could improve few things there (split keyboard on landscape mode, thinner body, smaller bezel, better accessible buttons...)
    peargood likes this.
    03-22-12 02:55 AM
    I think it doesn't matter how the size is. More important is that how good they optimize the UI and the contents for that size of tablets. 7"inch playbook is fine but they could improve few things there (split keyboard on landscape mode, thinner body, smaller bezel, better accessible buttons...)
    It's not a good time to have a 10" tablet until the app ecosystem is more robust, as well as having a captured market of users substantial enough for developers to remain interested in the PB, therefore, more willing to tweak their existing apps for the larger screen.

As of now, they should focus on what makes people buy the PB, and improve on the it.
    03-22-12 03:43 AM
    Good points here. But one issue I disagree with is this idea that if the BB10 phones have the same physical resolution as the PB, then we can just make one UI for both.

I don't think that will work well. A UI that is designed correctly for the PB would be way too small on a 4" screen. Developers will still need to make a new UX for the phone in most cases.

Another point I would make is that Android has a layout and device independent resolution scheme that works decently with multiple resolutions. I think RIM can do an even better version of that, learning from what Android did.

And I *hope* this is part of cascades. But they need to get broad feedback from developers before they bake that in. It would be a disaster if they wait until the last moment to spring that on us. So far they haven't even mentioned such a thing in anything I've read.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    03-22-12 06:31 AM
    The big reason not to do a 10" PlayBook is it goes head to head with the iPad. 7" tablets go head to head with the Kindle Fire. Which would you rather be compared to?

Asus has an excellent reputation as a HW manufacturer, and the Transformer design is brilliant. They're already working on a 1080P screen model, and a 2560*1440 one isn't a huge stretch either. Windows 8 is also well suited to the hybrid tablet/laptop design. They can go against the iPad because they're offering something the iPad can't, and in a sense are going against the MacBook Air.

Samsung is running with the Note at every size, and a properly supported stylus (rather than the capacitive hacks used nowadays for the iPad) is also a strong selling point, particularly for artists.

What would a 10" PlayBook offer that on immediately looking at it puts it in a certain advantage over the iPad? I can't think of anything, because for me the advantage of the PlayBook is that it's 7".
    shemaree09 likes this.
    03-22-12 08:06 AM
    RIM needs to repair or rewrite their rep on the tablet market before they can afford to get creative with new hardware. I like the gadget but popular opinion of it isn't in their favor right now.
    03-22-12 08:15 AM
    In some ways the current aspect ratio is good especially for movies. Alot of people see 4 x 3 as obsolete, as an old television format. My computer monitor has the same aspect ratio as the PlayBook's, I can rotate it but almost never do, except when editing difficult photos. This is a painters trick which forces you to focus on composition rather than image. Could be good for APP developers and their visuals. Back to the subject at hand, l wonder if the "new" PlayBook will be made by same company as now, there are currently rumors of a larger Kindle Fire. This could be difficult for BlackBerry. I think it needs to differentiate itself from KF even though KF cunning usurped PlayBook, not even redesign, same shell! 1/4 of hardware capabilities . Average consumer is unable to see this in a store or online unless they read specs, most don't. Is it possible for BlackBerry to provide a tool to developers to upres their apps to new resolution if new PlayBook arrives?
    03-22-12 08:34 AM
    they'd have to be out of their minds. There's going to be a huge 10" tablet war being waged between Apple and Google against that windows 8 beast that MS has come up with. I just came off looking at the reviews for it. A tablet with the capabilities of a full blown PC? YES PLEASE!!!
    03-22-12 08:49 AM
    Good points here. But one issue I disagree with is this idea that if the BB10 phones have the same physical resolution as the PB, then we can just make one UI for both.

I don't think that will work well. A UI that is designed correctly for the PB would be way too small on a 4" screen. Developers will still need to make a new UX for the phone in most cases.

Another point I would make is that Android has a layout and device independent resolution scheme that works decently with multiple resolutions. I think RIM can do an even better version of that, learning from what Android did.

And I *hope* this is part of cascades. But they need to get broad feedback from developers before they bake that in. It would be a disaster if they wait until the last moment to spring that on us. So far they haven't even mentioned such a thing in anything I've read.
    exellent point! though it might not be a huge issues for games like cut the rope, plants vs zombies,etc, since they came from ios in the first place, but for most apps, I'm guessing the buttons will look too small.the designated touch areas would be different as well. (all the things I heard from iterate is coming back, I can hear Rene going NOOOO! that's blasphemy! hahaha) but still I think it won't hurt if it were the same, some apps like games, which already has big menu buttons and icons would probably get by without any change. might make it easier some developers.

the layout and device independent resolution scheme sounds like a brilliant idea. since RIM is going for similar aspect ratio, the only thing is to sort out screen sizes, and resolution. Since they only make a few device, I'm sure its entirely possible. I haven't read anything like that on cascades as well. hope that's its there. would make life easier for developers.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 03-22-12 at 09:29 AM.
    03-22-12 09:24 AM
    The big reason not to do a 10" PlayBook is it goes head to head with the iPad. 7" tablets go head to head with the Kindle Fire. Which would you rather be compared to?

What would a 10" PlayBook offer that on immediately looking at it puts it in a certain advantage over the iPad? I can't think of anything, because for me the advantage of the PlayBook is that it's 7".
    Exactly! The main advantage of the Playbook right now is the size and price. Compared to the Kindle Fire it has the upper hand (spec/feature wise).

Unless it could compete with the biggest selling 10" tablet right now (iPad) its no point.

Portability is important and not everybody wants to spend $600 on a tablet or even $200 on an eReader with "tablet-like" qualities.
    03-22-12 11:08 AM
    The main reason RIM should not be making a 10" tablet is that it needs to focus on getting the BB10 devices ready and out. If they fail or are delayed further, that's virtually certain disaster.
    03-22-12 01:56 PM
    You should send this info to RIM. They've probably never even discussed the pros/cons or researched the market or have knowledge about costs and demand...

They'll probably offer you Thorsten's job...
    03-22-12 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD