Y'know, a lot of people criticise the PlayBook, but I had my sysadmin hat on this morning and once I again I realised what a superb piece of kit it is.

The pic below shows me reading mail (off-screen), listening to music, using an SSH session via the Big Server to provide SSH tunnels to the Raspberry Pi that I'm setting up as a VOIP hub (I have ports open for http and VNC), browsing the FreePBX admin screen on the 'Pi, and finally, watching the 'Pi desktop using a VNC viewer (off-screen). All at once. Fast and reliable.

Could I do this on any other tablet? No. The PlayBook rocks!!

Why I really love the PLayBook-img_00000041.jpg
    Nels and axllebeer like this.
    03-21-13 07:12 AM
    Yep. It's a great tool for those of us in the IT profession. I work with a bunch of IT techs who universally hate all things BlackBerry but they occasionally see what a skilled tech can do with these great BB tools.
    03-21-13 07:24 AM
    The multitasking capabilities of the PB definitely set it apart from the competition, especially for power users. I once published a video of myself swiping through a dozen concurrent apps on a PB. It was a mix of Native and Android apps and it ran the gamut from productivity to communications to entertainment.

I would be hard pressed to reproduce such a scenario on my Jelly Bean-equipped Acer Iconia - the multitasking simply isn't robust enough and the task switching mechanism has proven quirky and unreliable for me. Even if I could get everything running concurrently, it wouldn't hold up over time as every version of Android I try becomes increasingly unstable the more I throw at it.

By contrast, the PB is virtually bulletproof - the only thing you need to worry about is running out of RAM and having an app force-closed on you while the window focus is elsewhere. It's the closest thing to a PC-level multitasking experience out there in a truly mobile (i.e. sub-8") form factor.

RCK
    03-21-13 11:26 AM
    Thanks, guys. Your skills are way past mine and I enjoying getting your view. Hopefully the PB can interact with the Z10 in a way that gets more attention (I think Bridge is brilliant).
    03-21-13 07:20 PM
    All good points. I still miss os 1.O when you could have 3 running apps on the same screen. They need to bring that back with Bb10 and the next gen Playbooks.
    03-21-13 07:55 PM