So I have the 2.0 and I have native mail...yay.... Well not quite.

I do not like to password lock my devices but now that my mailbox is there I have a problem. Earlier inwould leave my PB at home or if I'm in a meeting with a customer in would leave it in their office and head out for lunch or something knowing that there is no personal data on it. Now though I have all my emails in on the device.

So it brings no advantage as for emails my BB is all I needed, and its more of a disadvantage now with native mail. Bridge worked flawlessly.
    mandony and Uncle Remus like this.
    02-21-12 02:25 PM

I do not like to password lock my devices but now that my mailbox is there I have a problem. Earlier inwould leave my PB at home or if I'm in a meeting with a customer in would leave it in their office and head out for lunch or something knowing that there is no personal data on it. Now though I have all my emails in on the device.

So it brings no advantage as for emails my BB is all I needed, and its more of a disadvantage now with native mail. Bridge worked flawlessly.
    Why not just use Bridge then and disable the native email? We're not forced to use the native email, after all.
    02-21-12 02:29 PM

I have grown to like the Bridge for the same reasons. The native email in 2.0 does have a few enhancements that the 2.0 Bridge mail doesn't yet have, though, like more formatting options. I was never without my Blackberry anyway, and the Bridge was so dependable that I lost a lot of my desire for native email, particulalry when it turned out that the Bridge did not drain down the Blackberry battery to any great exent. The way I'm setting it up is to have work mail still on the Bridge, the rest on native.
    02-21-12 02:31 PM
    Dont use it. Seems pretty easy to figure out...
    Jeovex and soxypirate like this.
    02-21-12 02:32 PM
    Delete your account setup from you native apps and hide the icon.

Simples
    02-21-12 02:33 PM
    If you liked Bridge - continue to use it, and don't use native. Pretty simple.
    02-21-12 02:35 PM
    The bridge apps work fine.
    Really wanted to use the native ones, they are exciting and new.
    But it's not playing nicely with outlook, so........
    for now, till there's a fix, it's bridged.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-21-12 02:37 PM
    No different than if you leave your phone behind.

Seems to me you have a few choices. One, don't use native email. Two, lock your PB, it's only two taps.
    02-21-12 02:38 PM
    Yes I know how to delete the account. The point here I was going for was that few appreciated RIM's initial vision.The bridge made perfect sense for keeping email secure.

I tell you guys, you will see a couple of marriages being broken up with Playbooks lying around having "native" mail configured on them. Not to mention some careless folks sharing private emails with customers or suppliers.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    02-21-12 02:38 PM
    As a BB phone user, I'm going to continue to use Bridge, however, the updated Calendar, Email, and Contacts (native) apps have way better functionality and features. REALLY hoping RIM can somehow make the Bridge apps this good!
    OMGitworks likes this.
    02-21-12 02:40 PM
    Yes I know how to delete the account. The point here I was going for was that few appreciated RIM's initial vision.The bridge made perfect sense for keeping email secure.

I tell you guys, you will see a couple of marriages being broken up with Playbooks lying around having "native" mail configured on them. Not to mention some careless folks sharing private emails with customers or suppliers.
    Good thing competent IT departments will force their employee's devices to abide by sensible active sync policies hence a password protected work partition on the PlayBook
    02-21-12 02:43 PM
    Different folks. Different strokes. Pointless thread, delete the accounts and use bridge
    eternalemb likes this.
    02-21-12 02:45 PM
    What about those of us who don't use BB phones anymore?

I'm going to use this PB as my primary tablet for the rest of this trip. This will be the first time I've done that since we got these last summer. I've never been able to really use it before because it didn't have email (and I find web mail painful)
    02-21-12 02:52 PM
    Then you use native
    02-21-12 04:13 PM
    Mr Rim... "Dammed if we do, Dammed if we don't"
    grungebetty and DataWrangler like this.
    02-21-12 04:27 PM

Just like on FB, CB is also missing a "dislike" button...smh.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    02-21-12 04:41 PM
    I was worried that I could not read the email off my phone after the update and for a while I thought I shot myself in the foot when I could not setup my work email account, we are not given the password.

In the end I found that I did not need to set one up ... just tap on the top left at the unread messages and it asks if you want to connect via the bridge and it works like before.

No use for native email yet ... have always used gmail and that's available thru the browser.
    Goldwing07 likes this.
    02-21-12 04:51 PM
    Now I have it figured out!! If I have a BB phone I can ignore the email native app on the Playbook and look at the email and calendar through the BB Bridge!! I do not have to sync Gmail contacts unless I want to!!
    02-21-12 05:07 PM
    I wish there was a way to only have the native email password protected and not the entire playbook, it would be much easier...
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-22-12 06:25 PM
    ...just dont use it...
    02-22-12 06:27 PM
    If you've got a BB, I really can't see a use for native email. I tried it out just to see how Accounts work - and it does look slick - but I found it not only redundant, but more of a nuisance having the same mail in two places on the same device. Which is no big deal at all as I personally never saw the need for it anyway. Someone please feel free to enlighten me if I'm missing something.
    02-22-12 06:35 PM
    Agreed, it would be nice to be able to utilize the pretty new interface.
    But, since it can't be done simply (and sync'd), I'm super happy to have the bridge.
    02-22-12 06:37 PM
    If you've got a BB, I really can't see a use for native email. I tried it out just to see how Accounts work - and it does look slick - but I found it not only redundant, but more of a nuisance having the same mail in two places on the same device. Which is no big deal at all as I personally never saw the need for it anyway. Someone please feel free to enlighten me if I'm missing something.
    If you check the email on your BB then in a little bit it gets marked as "read" on your PlayBook, so thats good, however it doesn't work the other way around yet.

Native PB email might be good if your BB battery dies and you need email when you are in WiFi range.
    02-22-12 06:38 PM
    Didn't RIM promise native email out the gate, but at a later time? If not then "Bridge only" is a very limited view as far as customer base. It would benefit RIM to appeal to a wider audience of potential tablet buyers who have no need of smart phone but can use a media device at a good price point. \
    Bridge only was never a good idea, it was reflected in every media blog talking about the Playbook and lack of sales (among other missing items) proves that point. Thankfully RIM has corrected this.
    If that were true than the divorce rate in the US should be skyrocketing with all the "other brand", less secure tablet owners.
    Different folks. Different strokes. Pointless thread, delete the accounts and use bridge
    Better yet delete the thread.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02-22-12 at 06:46 PM.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    02-22-12 06:42 PM
    You're assuming all Playbook owners are also Blackberry smartphone users and I can assure you, that is not always the case.
    02-22-12 07:18 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD