and the customer service and tech support is not friendly on this and not knowledgeable enough to help me...
    04-29-11 08:36 AM
    The real underlining point of Concepts99 post is that if the above average technical user (I'm assuming Concept99 is the above average user because he's a member and poster of this forum.) has this many problems, just think about the frustrations the average consumer will have. There's going to be alarming rate of returns simply because the average user is going to be confused and frustrated, even more so than Concept.

Which brings me to another point: In order for a tablet to be successful in terms of sales, the tablet needs to be simple to use and have a clean UI and be prone to "just work". From my limited experience of having a playbook at work to mess around with and from all the crackberry posts, it sounds like RIM dropped the ball on this.
    This is a very good point. I consider myself an average user, and I don't enjoy spending time on forums trying to make a device I just purchased work. Say what you want about how the pb has a new OS, and apple has been using the same OS for years so has had time to work out the bugs, the fact of the matter is this: when I got my IPad1, I opened the box, plugged it in, and used it. I have had no issues since I bought it. Since I bought my playbook on opening day, I spent hours on forums trying to make it functional. Which is why I am returning mine this week.

RIM made a big mistake launching this without working out the bugs. The average user is not going to spend that much on a tablet that is so quirky.
    04-29-11 08:37 AM
    I think a lot of you are close minded about your opinions on your playbook, go out and play with other tablets, ipad, android, whatever. See the differences. The playbook has some pros and some cons.

Lets be honest here, there are some issues with the playbook, and it needs to be addressed.

Will I repurchase the playbook?

The answer is yes, if they improve the browsing experience. Isnt what you use a tablet mainly for? The browsing experience? and - If they improve the email bridge to make it more useful, I will repurchase in a heartbeat.

As for apps, lets me fair.

If you were a developer, are you going to develop for a device that sold 50k, 500k by the year or something that has sold already 5 million devices. Also, the trend is that Android phones and Ios are taking over for cell phones. Rim just got knocked out. If Rim dont get their act together with a new OS for phones, they are going to drop off the chart. I dont think OS 6.1 is going to cut it. Nokia is the back just waiting to drop a ton of Windows phones onto the market.

Enterprise used to be Rim's trump card, but talk to people in the corporate environment, more and more companies are deploying iphones and androids. I've talked to a few people at big companies, and they were already deploying Ipads.

Remember, there is a lot of brand loyalty. This thread shows this.

Iphone users translate into Ipad sales.
    Android phone users= Android Honeycomb sales.

What kind of experience are people getting on their Os 5.0 and Os6.0 phones? 6.1 doesnt look all that different, and they now calling that 6.1 version 7.0 now?

At least microsoft had the sense to call their windows mobile .5 when it went for an update, and not jump into a whole new version #, when it is basically the same phone OS.

To give you an idea, I never flinched when I walked into an AT&T store on Torch launch and AT&T employees were giving me funny looks as I was the only one in line for it, nor when I went to Radio shack and other cell stores, showing off my Torch (the new Flagship) and those employess called it a "whack phone" (go figure)

I didnt give up, when my new blackberry bold on launch was full of bugs.
    I didnt give up when all of my Curves had a sub-par browser
    I didnt give up when 8800 worldphone seemed outdated compared to palms, etc

I wont give up on Rim, but what does it take to shake them up?

Look at what happened to Nokia.
    04-29-11 08:40 AM

I purchased my PlayBook on opening day and 2 days ago returned it. I really had high hopes for that device and it made my stomach hurt thinking that I was going to return it. So I kept trying to make myself like it. I am going to list a few of the things that for me, with business use in mind, didn't work.

2.) Secure Website access. The PlayBook could access our secure report site, but every time we switched pages we had to re-enter our login credentials. This was very annoying as we often have to dig down deep into folders to get to the reports we want. This especially was unacceptable.

4.) Bridge Email - The email was very very basic. I mean so basic that it got to where I would just pick up my Torch to do all my emailing because you couldn't click a link, couldn't highlight and copy text, or zoom in and out for better reading size. This was a very pesky problem.
    As a Blackberry Fanatic, I also tried my very best to make this Playbook experience work. I actually left my Ipad 2 and my Macbook Pro downstairs for a few nights, as I continued to use the Playbook. I wanted to give it a chance. I didn't want to "cloud" the experience.

The most enjoyable experience I got was probably watching movies on it.

the one thing I liked about it is that the file system is open on wifi, I set up a password and username, and I was able to transfer files (in this case movies) to the device wirelessly over my Network. Since I am using an Apple airport with N protocol, this was actually pretty quick for the large .avi files.

I agree with you on the password, username thing. This is something RIM has to work on. I work on a lot of backend web sites to check on things essential to my business, some of them I dont need a super secure login for (I usually use lastpass), but with an Ipad, or an Iphone, there is something called keychain which saves your username and password.

I believe this will be a great feature to add to a Blackberry or a Playbook. Heck, even for saving stuff for forum logins at Crackberry, etc.

This is just a logical step where everything requires usernames and passwords now.
    04-29-11 08:47 AM
    return the playbook...return it...dont buy it...i have it for 6 hours try to connect to my computer and its not working and the analyst cant solve my problem why it cant connect to my pc...now im staying with ipad cuz i could transfer my file n finish my job early...
    Try a different computer.
    04-29-11 08:47 AM
    return the playbook...return it...dont buy it...i have it for 6 hours try to connect to my computer and its not working and the analyst cant solve my problem why it cant connect to my pc...now im staying with ipad cuz i could transfer my file n finish my job early...
    Maybe if you start a new thread explaining the problem, a simple descrition of what you tried and what you see... some of the other users will be able to help.
    04-29-11 09:55 AM
    Actually, the iPhone (and presumably the iPad) does carry good apps. For example my mum has CoPilot on her iPhone. �26, lifetime free updates. On a motorway for example when you need to turn off, it tells you which lane you need to be in to get off the motorway at the right stop. As in, it displays all the lanes and where they're going, and puts arrows facing up in the lanes you can use to get off the motorway.

Please show me an app for my BlackBerry Torch that will let me do that. iPad apps are not crappy. And you're saying about the camera? In all fairness, how many pictures will you be taking from your tablet? And also, for Skype video calls, isn't a 3Mpixel camera little overkill?

Each tablet has their own merits and downfalls. I want a PlayBook yes, but don't underestimate the iPad.
    Ugh first of all I don't care about your mum's copilot whatever app.

Second I didn't say the iPad apps are crappy. I said the skype. I have iPad 2 and try the skype it's really small like the iPod touch. What I am saying is that qnx is a brand new OS there's not alot of apps and crappy apps. iPad is same as the iPhone or the iPod touch they just made it bigger.

Third I don't think 3 megapixel is an overkill. If you are really ugly person then get the iPad cause it's pixelated u really want to hide that bushy eyebrows and pimply face. And Playbook is for handsome and hot people. If you are hot don't you want to flaunt? 3 megapixel is good more details
    Last edited by forsakenwaste5; 04-29-11 at 10:26 AM.
    04-29-11 10:17 AM
    lol i love this comment.

if this was serious at all, I'd say try using Skype on the Playbook. Or any other kind of video chat. Sigh, it's coming

I'd say it doesn't matter what megapixel or resolution your camera is if you can't even use it. That's just my opinion I guess.
    Thanks.

Ugh! I said u can't really compare the two right now. Qnx is a brand new OS. There's not much apps andthey are crappy!
    Last edited by forsakenwaste5; 04-29-11 at 10:29 AM.
    04-29-11 10:23 AM
    we get it. it's a brand new OS.
    04-29-11 10:32 AM
    All I can say is that I also returned my PlayBook... almost with tears. My PlayBook experience was similar to having to sit through Episode 1 once Jar Jar Binks hit the screen. I have defended RIM in incredibly heated battles. This was even my signature:

-------------------------------------------