If the webpage has embedded audio playing (internet radio/flash video etc.), you can listen to it while working in another app.r.
    This is not unique to the playbook. The ipad can listen to pandora and surf the web or any other app. Is the "showcase "feature the only multitasking differentiation from other tablets?
    04-27-11 07:28 PM
    It is amazing the number of PB haters that only now decide to get a CB account and post. Dude, your son has an iphone and you have always had an iphone.

Why even bother? So business is going to go buy ipads?

My company bought us PB's to be more productive and they are fantastic.

No one in my company would ever consider the ipad as a business tool. They are too big. Their size is silly and cumbersome.

No one in my company would ever consider an iphone either. iphones have lousy battery life, poor call quality and are lousy for typing messages on.

I know. I have an iphone. The apps are great though!!! Out of this world. ichalky is awesome!!! As you correctly pointed out, iphones are for kids.
    Kids that can actually browse the internet and not get error messages like "Not enough memory"? That like half-way decent and productive applications for their phones? Where the e-mails don't say "Message has been truncated?"

I love my 9700 and probably will never part with it, but I definitely disagree with your sentiment. Blackberries definitely have some key issues with them. And now, iPhones today aren't just for kids, nor are BlackBerry's made solely for business people. And the reason why there is such a discrepancy between RIM and the likes of Google/Apple is that I think Apple/Google (especially Apple) have done a much better job penetrating the business market than RIM has at the consumer market.
    04-27-11 08:58 PM
    Bridgebrowser is a new connectivity feature so it got its quirks but the iStone and iTrash doesn't even talk to each other so you need two contracts to get wireless service...
    This is not quite true - with iOS 4, and a tethering plan on the iPhone, you can tether an iPad (as well as an iPod Touch and a computer, all simultaneously) over Bluetooth.
    04-27-11 09:04 PM
    After a week of playing with the Playbook, here are the reasons why I am returning it.

5. Why did Rim not package a more powerful charger with this, why are they juicing me when I paid a premium for this unit already. Not being a fanboi, but apple packaged a more power 1amp charger with Ipads (not the same as Iphone 3 or iphone 4s), - I mean, come on, show some loyalty to your Blackberry Followers.
    Just one little comment here, at least RIM do not 'force' me to sit two feet from the wall outlet to use my tablet while it recharges. I don't understand while Apple supplies such a short cable with its iPhone/iPod and iPad...

Edit : Just checked my Torch adapter, 750 mA. My Playbook adapter, 1.5A. So, RIM do package a more powerful adapter with the Playbook, with a 6 feet cable.
    Last edited by sylvaing; 04-27-11 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Added adapter power rating
    04-27-11 09:12 PM
    well i wass gonna point out all the flaws in your report.. such as the multi-tasking (you should check your settings) but it seems like you didnt do as much investigating in your playbook as you did complain
    I was going to say the same thing. This person obviously has not really used the playbook nor done any research. Because the playbook is actually the only tablet (released) that does not pause an app when minimizing it and opening a new app. They all continue to run in the background. Now I have noticed that opening several tabs in the browser when there are multiple videos or songs on each page only one will play, but aside from the browser all the apps run at the same time.
    04-27-11 09:34 PM
    I got my PB yesterday. i have BB bold 9700 - ATT with unlimited data plan.

i setup my PB just few hours back (currently it is under charging and browsing) since i want to really check the battery life as well.

so the story is i setup by PB, literally effortlessly. I had installed the Blackberry bridge by following the instructions on this forum in the morning itself. so connecting / bridging was a very smooth affair.
    BTW - i used manual pairing mode to do that and no issues. and

I am on AT&T but - YES YES / NO NO to tethering. I did not use tethering at all.
    since I was at home and used my home wi-fi to try out all these functionalities.

Everything worked just fine. no issues what so ever !!

tomorrow I am going to try out the other internet connection I have - The SPRINT Overdrive Pro mobile 3G/4G hot spot, which I use for my work primarily. i will use that to connect to PB as well as my BB phone. and test all of the connectivity issues and bridging issues

I have tried all of the key features that RIM provided with this version like multi tasking etc and yes I did not see any issues, I had two browsers, two videos , one excel file , one word document, my BB email client, Calendar.
    All of the applications were open and in fact i send out test emails to check if i was receiving emails when I was on you tube searching videos.

Everything works perfectly. i do not see any issues.

i think the poster did not know how to use multi tasking and/or his interpretation of multitasking is something that is available in other planets.

i had no issues what so ever in the entire setup process, checking with all installed applications, and general browsing of the device in about 3 hours from the time I opened the box.

This PB is sure to go places with each of the updates that are due to come as RIM is promising.

Way to go RIM !!!
    04-27-11 09:54 PM
    After a week of playing with the Playbook, here are the reasons why I am returning i

2. The Playbook is a great device, but I am not sure on the multitasking. For example, I am happy that I can log into flash sites such as Sirius XM and have it play, but is it really multitasking? Changing the app to something else or even opening a new browser window stops the original window from playing.

3. Probably the biggest disappointment is the bridge browser. I wasnt expecting much, but give me at least 56.5 k speeds. I mean, this thing is totally useless. 90% of the time, it wants to save a page to a file?? and the other times, I have to click like 20 times to get a page to load, and when it loads, it takes 8 mins to load a non intensive web page. Its not the carrier, as if I move to the web browser on the Torch, it is almost instant. I dont see any reason to carry this device when I can easily carry my Ipad 2 3g instead, the speed is insane, I can stream netflix app on the Ipad 2 on 3g.

8. I constantly get the glowing red corners and I am not even doing that much on this machine, I am not sure what it is stressing it out, one browser window?
    You can adjust the multitasking on the settings.

The BridgeApp is still unapproved. I too am disappointed but the performace has to be gimped by AT&T.

I load a ton of apps just to see how much it takes you may have a defective unit or it could be an app that is the issue,use the BB Desktop software to backup, wipe and restore your OS after you have removed some apps.
    04-27-11 10:07 PM
    I guess many people are mixing browser tabs multi tasking with applications multi tasking, I was listening to online fm radio and was able to search app world while radio running in background, but if I click on another browser tab the online radio stopped and could only play if I open its browser again.
    04-27-11 10:41 PM
    Can someone please explain what true life need( or desire) is filled with the showcase feature? *I might be missing something but i cant see how having thumbnail windows actively playing serves any need because they are too tiny to read, watch or do anything in. *If you could do a splitscreen with two web pages open that would fill a need but i understand the playbook can only have one page running. *As far as presentation mode, the ipad can easily project a video to tv while multitasking other things on the ipad at the same time.

It is almost like they put showcase in just as a sales tool for demos.

Is there any other multitasking i am missing on the playbook?
    yeah you missed streaming audio....
    04-28-11 12:18 AM
    I waited forever for this thing and I must say, I'm returning this too, I bought it for the bridge browser, which we all know is useless at this point. I'm typing this from my iPad right now lol. I'm just gonna take back the pb, and trade this iPad wifi for a 3G model or roll with the xoom. I'll save my money for a new bb when one drops and continue to use my bold 9700. I even had the torch and gave it to my gf after a week of use. Traditional bb is the best with a traditional keyboard for me.

I can still do things faster on my bb, than using the pb, even with the bridge, I'd rather just use my bb.
    04-28-11 03:56 AM
    I'm in Canada, using Bell service. My bridge browser works wonderfully.

To answer the multitasking thing:

From what I understand, the Showcase option, will make your PB work pretty much exactly like your computer at home.
    04-28-11 07:13 AM
    I haven't used my bridge browser yet. Well I tried last night but I wasn't paying attention and just opened the program but not sure if there are any settings that I need to change.

However I was somewhat delighted to hear that my living room TV which I planned on moving to the basement for the kids, xbox, etc broke. So now I need to buy a TV sooner rather than later.

DLNA here I come.

Oh, back to the point.

I opened up the memo pad on the bridge and typed some notes and took some pictures at best buy. Once I clicked save on the PB my phone updated instantly. The Best Buy asked if it was a phone but then I showed him and he was impressed.
    04-28-11 08:44 AM
    I don't know why we should care someone wants to return PB. That type of threads should be banned.

I don't mind reading opinions, good or bad but couldn't care less you return it. You're not writing to Lazaridis or a place you got it from after all.
    04-28-11 09:53 AM
    The search function works fine - as well as it does for your Torch. Perhaps the bad taste has jaded you.

If the PlayBook doesn't work for you, at least have legitimate reasons. If not, then your conclusion was a forgone one in the first place.

Thank you for your post.

However, search is indeed was not working for me on the Playbook. I have 10 email accounts on my Torch, with a an average of 15,000 emails on the Torch (per month emails). It does work on my Torch, but I can assure you that it did not work on my Playbook. Even after reboots.

Thank you for the insight on the other features.

My main reason was posting, was for the price they are charging me for my 32 gigabyte version, I really could not justify it.

If they would have made the bridge more robust with the integration of emails, and given it more of an incentive to use the playbook instead of the Torch, it would have been a win.

Dont get me wrong, like I said, I do like the following features of the Playbook

1. The build quality, it felt very good compared to apple products, if not better. It has a good quality feel to it.
    2. Flash, yes, I understand it is in it's infancy.
    3. The form factor, the small size was great
    and lastly
    4. I like the OS of the device. It is something unique, and no one else has it. Its not iOS nor is it Android. This appealed to me.
    04-28-11 10:01 AM
    Give the guy a break....many true points.

I really want the playbook to work like it should (and how Rim wanted it to work), but it has to go back for many of the reasons stated.
    The situation kinda reminds me of when I picked up the first Storm, it could have been great, but Rim just seems to have a hard time getting it right (even close) the first time.
    Was at a get together this weekend, a Rim employee was there, we had an interesting discussion, she said that the playbook is good for beta testers, said to wait for the second version.....this from an employee.
    My kids really like it, but as a business tool it just doesn't cut it for me.

As a shareholder of Rim, it worries me that in the weeks to come this is going to be considered a serious failure and I will be losing more than my playbook.

This was another one of my points. Do you have a Torch.

How many "MONTHS" did RIM take before the 9800 was even up to an acceptable level, without bugs, able to search, the MISSING BIS CONNECTION bug issue which disconnected your Torch completely, browsing issues on the build in browser.

It took months.

1. Are you willing to wait months for RIM to figure the playbook out and to provide updates?

2. Are you thinking there will be a major revamp of the features or the layout of the Playbook? Are you expecting something spectacularly to be changed in the layout or operation? I dont know. But i believe what you see now is what you get. - I base this on OS6.1 - which might get touted as OS7.0 - It looks like 6.0 with a little bit of tweaking and some NFC added. (and I think you know this)
    04-28-11 10:05 AM
    Just one little comment here, at least RIM do not 'force' me to sit two feet from the wall outlet to use my tablet while it recharges. I don't understand while Apple supplies such a short cable with its iPhone/iPod and iPad...

They supply the shorter Ipad charger cable because I believe they sell another AC wall outlet with a LONGER cord.

I believe it also has to do with the 1amp charging, the small converter that apple uses may be only able to push the amperage through a shorter length. I believe the longer cable, has a more powerful (and larger) AC converter.
    04-28-11 10:11 AM
    [QUOTE=naudurivsm;6277164]I got my PB yesterday. i have BB bold 9700 - ATT with unlimited data plan.

i setup my PB just few hours back (currently it is under charging and browsing) since i want to really check the battery life as well.
    /QUOTE]

There are ISSUES with TORCH (9800) and Playbook connectivity.

You can find HUGE threads and HUGE steps you have to do to connect the 2 devices when there are problems. I posted original links. I mention nothing about other Blackberries, I am sure they pair properly.

However, the Torch is RIM'S flagship device, if anything should work out of the box, it should be a TORCH 9800 (FLAGSHIP) on ATT (Who developed the Torch)
    andy957 likes this.
    04-28-11 10:13 AM
    I don't know why we should care someone wants to return PB. That type of threads should be banned.

I don't mind reading opinions, good or bad but couldn't care less you return it. You're not writing to Lazaridis or a place you got it from after all.
    Again, it is my impression RIM monitors these forums. How else can I reach them? I am trying to help them improve.
    04-28-11 10:15 AM
    Worked for me. The search feature is the magnifying glass on the bottom left.
    04-28-11 10:24 AM
    Worked for me. The search feature is the magnifying glass on the bottom left.
    It didnt work for me, across 10 email accounts, and 15,000 emails.
    and I am on ATT TORCH 526 -

This is MY experience, it may not be yours.
    04-28-11 10:31 AM
    They supply the shorter Ipad charger cable because I believe they sell another AC wall outlet with a LONGER cord.

I believe it also has to do with the 1amp charging, the small converter that apple uses may be only able to push the amperage through a shorter length. I believe the longer cable, has a more powerful (and larger) AC converter.
    For charging, the length of the cable is only affected by the amount of amperage going through it and the diameter (gage) of the cable. To allow the same current for a longer cable, they only had to increase the diameter (lower the gage) of the cable. They cheap'ed out by supplying such a short cable with the iPad. I'm glad RIM went with a 6 feet cord. Which is btw, usually the minimum length a lamp cord has to be. Power outlets are usually spaced every 12 feet in a modern house for that reason (or is it the other way around ).
    bbquincar likes this.
    04-28-11 10:42 AM
    Click This link

Ipad 2 Scrolling vs Blackberry Playbook on Vimeo

Ipad 2 Scrolling vs Blackberry Playbook on Vimeo

This is a video I made with my Ipad 2.

I am demonstrating the gestures and how a flick will quickly or slowly move a page, it also demos that hovering and "gesturing" over an "ad" or a "link" does not open a window. This is clearly more shown during the end of the video, as I am gesturing right on top of an advertisement.

Q: Has an ipad been on the market longer?
    A: Yes

But: RIM could have been, and should have been copying the implementation of all available tablets on the market.

Because of this, "I" felt, in my "opinion" that the Ipad offered a better environment for browsing, for ease of use, and to the quality of gestures in navigating web pages.
    Last edited by concepts99; 04-28-11 at 11:31 AM.
    04-28-11 11:26 AM
    For charging, the length of the cable is only affected by the amount of amperage going through it and the diameter (gage) of the cable. To allow the same current for a longer cable, they only had to increase the diameter (lower the gage) of the cable. They cheap'ed out by supplying such a short cable with the iPad. I'm glad RIM went with a 6 feet cord. Which is btw, usually the minimum length a lamp cord has to be. Power outlets are usually spaced every 12 feet in a modern house for that reason (or is it the other way around ).
    This is partly true, it is also the converter involved, the converter may not be able handle the push over the distance of the cable. I believe that apple kept the cable the optimum length for charging, without degrading the voltage and amperage through the cable, because this is how apple plays, they play it "safe"

Keep in mind, the cable that comes with the RIM is long, but it is not the "fast charger" (ala the dock or other higher rate chargers) - it is a normal micro usb charger, that charges at a slow rate. The optional FAST charger is extra, just like the longer cable for the apple ipad 2 is extra.

Also, I am not understanding this, why are we praising Rim for supplying a longer charging cable when there are more deeper issues with the Playbook?
    04-28-11 11:38 AM
    The real underlining point of Concepts99 post is that if the above average technical user (I'm assuming Concept99 is the above average user because he's a member and poster of this forum.) has this many problems, just think about the frustrations the average consumer will have. There's going to be alarming rate of returns simply because the average user is going to be confused and frustrated, even more so than Concept.

Which brings me to another point: In order for a tablet to be successful in terms of sales, the tablet needs to be simple to use and have a clean UI and be prone to "just work". From my limited experience of having a playbook at work to mess around with and from all the crackberry posts, it sounds like RIM dropped the ball on this.
    04-28-11 11:52 AM
    The real underlining point of Concepts99 post is that if the above average technical user (I'm assuming Concept99 is the above average user because he's a member and poster of this forum.) has this many problems, just think about the frustrations the average consumer will have. There's going to be alarming rate of returns simply because the average user is going to be confused and frustrated, even more so than Concept.

Which brings me to another point: In order for a tablet to be successful in terms of sales, the tablet needs to be simple to use and have a clean UI and be prone to "just work". From my limited experience of having a playbook at work to mess around with and from all the crackberry posts, it sounds like RIM dropped the ball on this.
    I dont know, maybe RIM has better plans for this Playbook.

I am not even sure if they are marketing this thing to the mass consumer.

This is probably one reason why there are so few tv commercials, until after launch. But then, again, we didnt see Torch 9800 commercials till weeks after launch.

So I really have no idea how Rim thinks, whether they are very clever or just unorganized (ie: Marketing does not talk to development, etc etc)

Maybe their ideal market are technical users, who already own a blackberry and the corporate enterprise market.

Maybe RIM and the enterprise market are developing custom apps at the moment, and all the stuff that comes out the box may NOT be used for their core market anyway. Who knows!
    04-28-11 12:11 PM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD