Having read through this topic again, I can understand some benefits of the iPad over the PlayBook and vice versa. The factor now is while the BlackBerry PlayBook was designed while the iPad 2 was (and still is) king of the hill in many places but with the current generation iPad with it's retina display, Apple really raised the bar. The only advantage the PlayBook has over it in a technical sense is a far better front facing camera, Android compatability, portability, and Bridge mode for those who happen to own a BlackBerry smartphone.

Of all the friends I have, only two others have a BlackBerry smartphone, they are more of the consumer oriented models such as the Curve and Torch. Nobody else owns a PlayBook nor considered buying one even after playing around with mine after the 2.0 update.

My point, most people go with a far more popular device which garnishes the most software support. Even the BlackBerry smartphone OS has some apps that may never see the light of day on the PlayBook. Does that warrant hate for either my iPad or my PlayBook? Perhaps even my aging Bold 9700 running BB 6.0 on T-Mobile.

I am happy with my phone and without the native UMA support, I would miss a lot of calls at home since I live in a cellular "dead zone" (even for Verizon). The small display and it's look is rather "dated" in a touch screen world but for those crazy apps is why an iPod Touch comes in handy so I can get my mobile gaming fix without killing my battery.

Back to the subject at hand, is it a bad thing to like both tablets or perhaps even more? I've been wanting an Android Honeycomb based tablet or a Samsung Galaxy Tab just because I love my gadgets despite who made them or what OS they may run. My iPad 2 is a gaming powerhouse and after reading many reviews of the new ipad, the display sure sounds like something that would be perfect for my other hobby which is Photography. Having a high resolution display would be very beneficial for showing my photos over my current iPad 2.

If I didn't have such a need, I would stick with my current iPad as the newer model is only marginally faster in overall performance. When it comes to my BlackBerry PlayBook, it still goes with me nearly everywhere due to its portability and many features in it's web browser that can't be done on an iPad without having to use a dedicated app. Such an example would be a simple posting of an ad on Craigslist. On my PlayBook, the browser has access to the file system of the tablet for adding photos taken with the camera or photos stored on my BlackBerry Bold's microseconds card. With my iPad, Safari just doesn't stack up.

So with both, I really do have the best of both worlds. Both good and bad as I wish Google Maps was native on the PlayBook (it's a native app on my BlackBerry phone), I just don't like Bing! maps. It's unstable and not user friendly such as Google Maps on the iPad or even Google Earth which is also MIA for the PlayBook.
    barskin and BlackBerry Guy like this.
    04-07-12 03:51 AM
    So what???

Maybe that's all they need it to do. Maybe they have no interest in all the 'smart' things you or others can do with.

My buddy's a chemical engineer. He still uses a flip and still says 'floppy drives'.

He's by no means 'dumb' in any sense of the word.

Must really by nice for some here. Being so much 'smarter' than everyone else.
    When I say tweak their phones or tablets I mean basic things, like on bb if you asked 100 people out there if they knew their phone had beside mode how many do you think would know it. Or changing your backlight settings so you get better battery usage.

I fine with people who are happy with having their smart phones and it doing what they need and thts it. I was just trying to further the point that technology has been dumbed down over the years so they can draw in vast the majority of the market.
    04-07-12 11:36 AM
    Having read through this topic again, I can understand some benefits of the iPad over the PlayBook and vice versa. The factor now is while the BlackBerry PlayBook was designed while the iPad 2 was (and still is) king of the hill in many places but with the current generation iPad with it's retina display, Apple really raised the bar. The only advantage the PlayBook has over it in a technical sense is a far better front facing camera, Android compatability, portability, and Bridge mode for those who happen to own a BlackBerry smartphone.

Of all the friends I have, only two others have a BlackBerry smartphone, they are more of the consumer oriented models such as the Curve and Torch. Nobody else owns a PlayBook nor considered buying one even after playing around with mine after the 2.0 update.

My point, most people go with a far more popular device which garnishes the most software support. Even the BlackBerry smartphone OS has some apps that may never see the light of day on the PlayBook. Does that warrant hate for either my iPad or my PlayBook? Perhaps even my aging Bold 9700 running BB 6.0 on T-Mobile.

I am happy with my phone and without the native UMA support, I would miss a lot of calls at home since I live in a cellular "dead zone" (even for Verizon). The small display and it's look is rather "dated" in a touch screen world but for those crazy apps is why an iPod Touch comes in handy so I can get my mobile gaming fix without killing my battery.

Back to the subject at hand, is it a bad thing to like both tablets or perhaps even more? I've been wanting an Android Honeycomb based tablet or a Samsung Galaxy Tab just because I love my gadgets despite who made them or what OS they may run. My iPad 2 is a gaming powerhouse and after reading many reviews of the new ipad, the display sure sounds like something that would be perfect for my other hobby which is Photography. Having a high resolution display would be very beneficial for showing my photos over my current iPad 2.

If I didn't have such a need, I would stick with my current iPad as the newer model is only marginally faster in overall performance. When it comes to my BlackBerry PlayBook, it still goes with me nearly everywhere due to its portability and many features in it's web browser that can't be done on an iPad without having to use a dedicated app. Such an example would be a simple posting of an ad on Craigslist. On my PlayBook, the browser has access to the file system of the tablet for adding photos taken with the camera or photos stored on my BlackBerry Bold's microseconds card. With my iPad, Safari just doesn't stack up.

So with both, I really do have the best of both worlds. Both good and bad as I wish Google Maps was native on the PlayBook (it's a native app on my BlackBerry phone), I just don't like Bing! maps. It's unstable and not user friendly such as Google Maps on the iPad or even Google Earth which is also MIA for the PlayBook.
    Now, you are a poster after my own heart. Another device junkie who enjoys owning the gamut of platforms for the individual functionality and performance that they can give. Is it bad, you ask...Well, if it's bad, I don't want to be good!
    04-07-12 11:48 AM
    I was just trying to further the point that technology has been dumbed down over the years so they can draw in vast the majority of the market.
    And this is a bad thing? We must also state this "dumbing down" you speak of is not limited to just tablets. The vast majority of people want something easy to use not something they have to spend lots of time figuring out, be it BBOS or iOS. It's also done in an interest of saving time as much emphasis has been placed on this by all manufacturers. If ease of use/ time efficiency wasn't paramount Windows or OSX wouldn't be used by more people than Linux for instance.

Yes some people love to tinker with & figure out gadgets, that's part of the fun. For some people. But most people want smartphones & tablets that are easy to use & when used can be done so in a timely manner. Why else would RIM incorporate shortcuts into the firmware for instance? Ease of use & it's quick. Why do 99% of BlackBerry users prefer physical keyboards? Quicker & most would say easier to type on? Why do BlackBerry users love the BBOS multitasking? Because its simple and allows them to do multiple things at once while **wait for it** saving time.

I bring this up because you basically said BBOS/PlayBook was better because it wasn't "dumbed down" like iOS. Which gets back to my first post in this thread, that it's all subjective. All mobile firmware has been "dumbed down" mainly because it's just that, mobile and people have to get on with it quickly. But ease of use doesn't make one inferior to another, although many would argue just the opposite. It's all dependent on the end user and their needs.
    We don't have to paint one device with the same brush just like we don't have to be, shouldn't have to be, limited to one particular brand.
    04-07-12 12:11 PM
    You do know its possible to own both righr ? A device shouldn't define who you are.
    First, I can't really justify owning two tablets. My budget won't allow it.

BUT, I want to say that the latter part of your remark is spot on! Too many of us get defined by our technology, rather than our technology being defined by us.

I'm a new Playbook owner and I'm really enjoying it. But a Playbook alone doesn't feed a starving child, cure cancer, or bring world peace.

A Playbook is just a tool for other things in life.
    04-07-12 12:51 PM
    The points by the OP are well taken, but for the most part he is completely misinformed. The iPad is so much more than a toy, and as a business professional I can attest to that. It is SO much more a business tool than the PB its laughable. I own a playbook and IT is a toy. Its a toy to browse the web with, which is why business' are opting to purchase iPads for their employees instead of the PB.

Talk about drinking the cool aid. Just because RIM says its providing you a tool and not a toy doesn't make it so.
    DX9, kennyliu and Snafufubar like this.
    04-07-12 01:01 PM
    Why can no one say it works for me without being told no it doesn't........this is better blah blah.

Guess what not everyone needs a gazillion apps to be happy. Not everyone needs specialized apps for business not everyone needs skype to save money on international calls or for cyber, not everyone needs..........

The OP's title I think comes from all of the "I'm switching or ditching it if I can't skype, side load, netflix, hulu blah blah. The exception I have is the iPad is no more a toy than anything else including the pb.
    Thanks for your comments! I was just quietly trying to stick up for the little guy.

As for the tool/toy thing - I like that RIM's *emphasis* is more on tools than toys. But you do make a fair point that *any* tablet is at least partly a toy.
    04-07-12 01:19 PM
    Said it once, will say it again...tool or toy, a device is what you make of it.
    kennyliu and Geeoff like this.
    04-07-12 01:48 PM
    Said it once, will say it again...tool or toy, a device is what you make of it.
    Agreed.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    04-07-12 03:08 PM
    4. PDF reader. again, mentioned many times before. You're sitting at starbucks, your boss sends you a 150 page file to analyze and provide insights. BAM. Where's my laptop?
    Uh..boss...I'm out of the office doing some well needed business planning w/o interruptions , we'll talk when I get back to the office.
    Last edited by blackburberry; 04-07-12 at 03:44 PM.
    04-07-12 03:34 PM
    And this is a bad thing? We must also state this "dumbing down" you speak of is not limited to just tablets. The vast majority of people want something easy to use not something they have to spend lots of time figuring out, be it BBOS or iOS. It's also done in an interest of saving time as much emphasis has been placed on this by all manufacturers. If ease of use/ time efficiency wasn't paramount Windows or OSX wouldn't be used by more people than Linux for instance.

Yes some people love to tinker with & figure out gadgets, that's part of the fun. For some people. But most people want smartphones & tablets that are easy to use & when used can be done so in a timely manner. Why else would RIM incorporate shortcuts into the firmware for instance? Ease of use & it's quick. Why do 99% of BlackBerry users prefer physical keyboards? Quicker & most would say easier to type on? Why do BlackBerry users love the BBOS multitasking? Because its simple and allows them to do multiple things at once while **wait for it** saving time.

I bring this up because you basically said BBOS/PlayBook was better because it wasn't "dumbed down" like iOS. Which gets back to my first post in this thread, that it's all subjective. All mobile firmware has been "dumbed down" mainly because it's just that, mobile and people have to get on with it quickly. But ease of use doesn't make one inferior to another, although many would argue just the opposite. It's all dependent on the end user and their needs.
    We don't have to paint one device with the same brush just like we don't have to be, shouldn't have to be, limited to one particular brand.
    Im not saying its a super bad thing. I was explaining imo how starting with apple who "dumbed down" or made their products more user friendly easier to use, really revolutionized the whole "you don't have to be a geek to you use a smartphone or tablet scene" which they really capitalized on and pushed them further. (although i didnt try to name apple in my comments, just tried to keep in technology in general.) Like i said before if people like there smartphone or tablet the way it is and how it handles thats fine by me. But for my own personal preference, i like using a product that a can tweak a bit a control the settiings, not being extremely locked down. And as technology becomes more and more easier to used or dumb-down we start to lose control or preferences we have.

Im not stating that blackberry is better than apple for everyone because it is not more dumb-downed and easier to use than apple. But for me i feel that i blackberry is the best fit for MY needs. I Love on my blackberry how i dont need a bunch of apps to have my alarm clock, night clock, dim the background, disable any notifcations. I love how its just all belt into the native clock. For me this is what i need.

I have always been a firm believer that you get a tablet, smart phone, computer that you want, not what other people want for you

All i was doing was stating my 2cents
    Last edited by dave_2611; 04-07-12 at 03:45 PM.
    Geeoff likes this.
    04-07-12 03:34 PM
    Congrats on getting a tablet that works for you. Like I always tell people, "Get a device (it being a phone, tablet, or computer) that works for you."

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Geeoff and dave_2611 like this.
    04-07-12 04:29 PM
87 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD