01-14-12 12:41 PM
35 12
tools
    I had a poster go after me trying to raise an arguement simply because I posted a video showcasing email functionality in OS 2.0 and said it would be coming in a few weeks.. I get a long winded response saying that I'm unreasonable for giving this information without a disclaimer discussing RIM's previous history with missing deadlines.. the thing they dont' realize is that I don't give a crap if I'm wrong on the timing.. if I am, i'll correct myself, my ego isn't so big that it prevents me from doing that. All I was there do to was pass the best information I had available at the time.
    blue-b, peter9477 and jamesbondOO7 like this.
    01-12-12 05:49 PM
    Type 2a Series 002 here - will try to use common sense to talk both fanboys and haters out of silly arguments.

I called a supporter a hater just two days ago and you know, I couldn't be blamed for it. It is not what is said, but how it is said, which in the internet gets a lot more complicated, because you can't predict how people reading will interpret/react...
    It get complicated though. "Fanboys" pose as "haters" and vice versa - then they make silly statements about petty things. The aim is to stir up a silly debate and suck others into it. They are hoping that you jump in an try to set them straight.

They get a huge charge out of upsetting people. The longer the silly debate goes on, the more they like it. So while I would never "blame" you calling someone a "hater", I wish you wouldn't do it. Then the "hater" (or the silly Fanboy) would just go away. I've seen it happen (albeit on rare occasions) so I know that the tactic works.

I've also seen good people get banned because they retaliated in the way that you did. In this case, the "hater" gets to play the part of an innocent victim who is under attack. They love it when this happens.

Another thing that works is the mommy button. It's the little triangle in the upper right of each post. Click it and a mod will take care of things - they are very good at what they do.
    peter9477 and Beakman like this.
    01-12-12 05:50 PM
    I own an iPhone & Playbook, my wife and daughter Blackberry. I don't hate my daughter because she has a Bold in her purse. If Rim has phone in the future that I think suits my needs, I will get one.. I don't hate Rim,Apple,Samsung,etc. Too much hate is Bad...
    mrrubus likes this.
    01-12-12 07:51 PM
    Eh Android eats battery and iOS is boring. I would have bought webOS or android if the playbook wasn't around. The hate thing against BB is always from one or two people in a thread and they usually just hate on flash and talk about how they don't need it. Kinda annoying. I like to have flash but I don't especially like flash in its current state. OS2.0 should give us buttery smooth scrolling with flash so once that happens I will like flash again.

EDIT: I've owned an Apple device, just don't like it.
    Last edited by Meltbox360; 01-12-12 at 09:38 PM.
    01-12-12 09:34 PM
    All forums suffer this fate. Every one is different, has differet needs and likings. We all have different requirements situations and financial positions. Once there are people, there are differences.

We should understand and accept this, and strive to co-exist respectfully, to ourselves and each to other, then the forum would really gain it's true potential of helping, educating and sharing among people that have a common interest or liking (in this case BB devices).
    Pdinos3 and mrrubus like this.
    01-14-12 10:42 AM
    some or all of the following:

-Internet anonymity a.k.a. keyboard warriors
    -trolling for kicks
    -lack of personal knowledge about tech devices. I'd rate that one as the #1 reason. You'll be very hard pressed to find someone who buys into popular opinion and marketing brainwashing who will pay attention to the actual capabilities of the device they're bashing over what they hear from other uninformed masses. Mob mentality in a walmart culture caters to the lowest common denominator and that's what marketers target. My sig is my sarcastic tribute to that example
    01-14-12 11:05 AM
    There's also a wierd tendency on this site to call anyone a "hater" who complains about any deficiencies at all on the part of the Playbook. That happened to me. (My gripes mainly concern apps or lack thereof.)

Personally, I appreciate actual comparisons between products, can be quite informative.
    Yeah well, there is no such thing as a perfect product. However, the only real concern about Playbook is the lack of apps, however Android might solve the matter though...
    01-14-12 11:28 AM
    People who fully realize that blackberries have shortcomings, but none that matter to them, and that other devices have features that blackberries don't and will readily admit it, but THEY dont care and dont need or wish to hear about it, because the device suits their own particular needs PERFECTLY. We did a careful analysis and research of what we want and need, researched all avaliable tech, and made our choice.
    How do these people recognize shortcomings if none matter to them?

Researching alone isn't sufficient. What RIM puts up in specs and such can't be compared with real life experience. To me, I've come to expect certain things in Playbook that did not live up to my expectations from a product that comes from RIM, and many others feel that way.
    01-14-12 11:50 AM
    All forums suffer this fate. Every one is different, has differet needs and likings. We all have different requirements situations and financial positions. Once there are people, there are differences.

We should understand and accept this, and strive to co-exist respectfully, to ourselves and each to other, then the forum would really gain it's true potential of helping, educating and sharing among people that have a common interest or liking (in this case BB devices).
    Well said, old mole!
    TTBGF likes this.
    01-14-12 12:20 PM
    The fan communities are extensions of the companies. RIM started this fight with everyone. They were not particularly civil when entering the fray. By contrast, when Apple entered the smartphone market, they were very humble in their goals and complementary of RIM in particular. They showed pride in their new product while acknowledging that they would be standing on the shoulders of giants.

By contrast, when RIM entered into the tablet market, they came talking all kinds of smack about their competitors, and they are still doing it. They have never shown an ounce of humility or respect for others who invented the category. To make matters worse, when they fired their gun, only water came out. The guns pointing at them fired bullets.

The RIM fans are just as obnoxious today as the Apple fans of the bad old days. This community exudes an attitude that makes people want to come in and knock you down to size. Complain all you like about media bias. The media is made up of people who don't like RIM's attitude any more than anyone else.

Finally, if RIM had introduced the PB as a nice accessory to BB users, and as something that would become more in the future with updates, NO ONE would be bad-mouthing the PB. In fact, I would dare say that everyone would speak well of it as an interesting product that fills a niche for a small, but important group of people.

People would be looking forward to the day when the PB was updated for greater appeal. Everyone would be wanting to try the PB instead of wanting to bash it. Instead, these stupid comparisons are made, and fights picked with competitors against which the PB doesn't stand a chance. In the words of the incomparable, Jim Croce:

"You don't tug on Superman's cape,
    You don't spit into the wind
    You don't pull the mask off that ol' Lone Ranger
    And you don't mess around with Slim."

RIM came out doing all of that. That's why the hate, IMO.
    conix67 likes this.
    01-14-12 12:41 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD