I love my Playbook just hate the hate or rather I don�t really understand why so much hate?
    I am a Technophile and a Techno-hoarder�

To that end, in my household we use 4 BlackBerry products (1 PB& 3 Curves), as well as 4 Apple products (1Pad, 1 Touch, 1 Classic & a Shuffle). All our tech needs are met between the two product lines. I don�t understand the fan boy�s premise that the two cannot coexist ?

So If someone (intelligent) out there can explain why the hate and why it matters? That would be appreciated.
    01-12-12 01:17 PM
    It is a bit mysterious and annoying. As much as I love BB, I don't hate Apple or Android by any stretch of the imagination. It's all good to me, I just prefer BB. Some of the more rabid defenders here strike me as being insanely over-the-top. Or let's just say rational objectivity is not their strong suit. I'm sure there are similar types in the Apple/Android forums, however.
    9of13 likes this.
    01-12-12 01:22 PM
    The hate would not be this much, or one might say this evident in numerous posts and threads if only the people who post at the outset make an effort to keep it civil.

What tends to happen is that someone comes by and posts a thread about a certain 'good' feature about the PB, and then in comes someone who either doesn't own a PB or for some reason likes another device (pad/droid) and goes onto making a 'comparison' between the two devices. Its starts there and then the topic most of the time gets derailed and then comes the posters who take it to a different level.

This spiteful nature of threads and posts can easily be prevented if one just describes the feature they like, and leave it there--- instead of jumping into comparison with another device. No comparison required, just stick to the device on topic.... but alas it never happens.

So, hate stems from comparison, as when you compare there will always be two sides to the story- and with more than one side there will be arguements.

Its by human nature, we will keep comparing. When there is something good about the PB posters comment on it, then someone who feels otherwise comes by and makes a disparaging comment stating why it is bad because he/she felt it was not at par when "compared to"... you get my point

So, thats it..... my personal theory behind the hate threads.......it really dosent matter whether one owns both devices or multiple ones, when you are pitching one against another and voice personal opinions, people will differ.... some will remain civil while some will turn caustic.
    mrrubus likes this.
    01-12-12 01:30 PM
    There's also a wierd tendency on this site to call anyone a "hater" who complains about any deficiencies at all on the part of the Playbook. That happened to me. (My gripes mainly concern apps or lack thereof.)

Personally, I appreciate actual comparisons between products, can be quite informative.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-12-12 02:25 PM
    There's also a wierd tendency on this site to call anyone a "hater" who complains about any deficiencies at all on the part of the Playbook. That happened to me. (My gripes mainly concern apps or lack thereof.)

Personally, I appreciate actual comparisons between products, can be quite informative.
    conix67 likes this.
    01-12-12 02:26 PM
    A Agree with all, but I am also thinking that some of this may be political or just mis-communication with the exceptions to those that are just out right with it. In any event, I love my PB, and my BB. I've tried the other devices, but this PB suites me more, but not hating on the other devices.
    01-12-12 02:42 PM
    I agree with what is being said. Alot of the hate comes from blogs and news outlets and then carry over to the consumer market. People fall into the into same category cant make choices from their self. I like my PB really, I just need to see these improvements.
    a way to use apps that need a connection through your bridge. A way to play media on your phone through bridge especially music. I really want see netflix and hulu on the pb. I got my kids some kindle fires for christmas and they got hulu netflix and plenty of android apps. Thats what I want to see for the consumer market not just stuff for a business or business person.
    01-12-12 02:53 PM
    My guess is that the "haters" are TROLLS. They enjoy baiting unsuspecting people into arguments. It's a form of pranking!

In the Amazon Kindle forum there are way more trolls. Most of the people buying the Kindle Fire are not techies and are easy marks for these kind of pranks because they don't have the technical knowledge to know what is true and what isn't. The Amazon forum has an "ignore this customer" button on each post. One click and trolls are history, for me anyway. It is easy to tell who is trolling from their rants.

Playbook fans are much more technically knowledgeable and just ignore trolls. Eventually they go away when people realize them for what they are.

That said, I hope RIM gets OS2.0 out early next month. The demo's so far are fabulous. It makes me feel good that I got mine at the $199 price.
    Last edited by djnshores; 01-12-12 at 02:58 PM.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-12-12 02:55 PM
    I would be banned if I gave you my theory.
    Hint: none of the above.

You could always try asking a hater. A good clue is that they will not answer, because to answer honestly would reveal the truth.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-12-12 at 03:04 PM.
    bgriff25 likes this.
    01-12-12 02:59 PM
    My guess is that the "haters" are TROLLS. They enjoy baiting unsuspecting people into arguments. It's a form of pranking!
    Eh, to me trolls are painted with a broad brush here. There is a big difference between baiting people into arguments and expressing an opinion that a product is lacking, or expressing an opinion that one platform handles a certain task/feature better than blackberry. More often than not, I've seen people expressing the latter called trolls, including myself, even though I still happen to like & use RIM products.
    01-12-12 03:08 PM

I think the intent of the poster is the main issue here not the proposition that there is an unusual tendency on this site to call anyone a "hater" who complains about any deficiencies at all on the part of the Playbook.

Sometimes it is very difficult to sense the intent of a post and there is, in fact, a general tendency in this forum to jump to conclusions without giving certain posters a fair hearing.

For example, if I didn't know you better, I couldn't know that you did not mean any disrespect by making a sweeping statement about our collective ability to accept criticism. You did not mean that every single member of this forum is unable to accept any criticism at all about even the slightest defect. What you really meant was that we should try to develop thicker skins and be willing to discuss important issues with open minds.

That being said, I think that it is very important that we avoid using sweeping generalizations to illustrate our points of view. If we always speak about specific problems and specific solutions, it will reduce the incidence of misunderstanding and conflict.
    01-12-12 03:13 PM
    Eh, to me trolls are painted with a broad brush here. There is a big difference between baiting people into arguments and expressing an opinion.
    Unfortunately, there will always be victims of "friendly fire" or "collateral damage", if you will. The sad truth is that for every honest and legitimate opinion by one poster, there may very well be a large number of suspicious posts/threads that have nothing to do with an honest attempt at discourse, but rather an overt, and sometimes, very subtle attempt to inflame, bait, and just create a state of general chaos.

There are periods here where it is apparent we are under an assault by flyby posters who start an inflammatory thread, and in the end, a few good men bite the bullet, and the poster gets banned; in short order, these banned trolls return as sock puppets, and the cycle begins anew.
    pantlesspenguin and AggreX like this.
    01-12-12 03:18 PM
    I've seen many types of "haters" here.

Type 1: People that have used RIM products in the past, have moved on to other platforms, and think these platforms perform better than RIM products and want people to know their opinions.

Type 2: RIM users who still use RIM products but see other platforms "leapfrogging" RIM and want things to change. Basically they want the functionality of other forums in a RIM package and they clamor for change.

Type 3: RIM fanboys who insist that there's nothing wrong with blackberries and make fun of other platforms, and even the users of other platforms. They throw out terms like iSheep, iToy, etc.

Did I miss anyone?
    Hgouck, conix67 and blue-b like this.
    01-12-12 03:24 PM
    I've seen many types of "haters" here.

Type 1: People that have used RIM products in the past, have moved on to other platforms, and think these platforms perform better than RIM products and want people to know their opinions.

Type 2: RIM users who still use RIM products but see other platforms "leapfrogging" RIM and want things to change. Basically they want the functionality of other forums in a RIM package and they clamor for change.

Type 3: RIM fanboys who insist that there's nothing wrong with blackberries and make fun of other platforms, and even the users of other platforms. They throw out terms like iSheep, iToy, etc.

Did I miss anyone?
    Yes you did.

You missed Type 2a which most people on here including me fall into.

People who fully realize that blackberries have shortcomings, but none that matter to them, and that other devices have features that blackberries don't and will readily admit it, but THEY dont care and dont need or wish to hear about it, because the device suits their own particular needs PERFECTLY. We did a careful analysis and research of what we want and need, researched all avaliable tech, and made our choice.

This does not make them a blind ignorant loyal fanboy (3) (an insult) or want functionality that other devices have (2)

Huge gaping omission.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-12-12 at 04:12 PM.
    01-12-12 04:01 PM
    Yes you did.

You missed Type 2a which most people on here including me fall into.

People who fully realize that blackberries have shortcomings, but none that matter to them, and that other devices have features that blackberries don't and will readily admit it, but THEY dont care and dont need or wish to hear about it, because the device suits their own particular needs PERFECTLY. This does not make them a blind loyal fanboy (3) or want functionality that other devices have (2)

Huge gaping omission.
    Does that type of person really constitute a "hater" around here, though? You said it yourself, it's the category most people here fall into. In my observations it's typically this type of person that place the "hater" label on others.
    01-12-12 04:11 PM
    Does that type of person really constitute a "hater" around here, though? You said it yourself, it's the category most people here fall into. In my observations it's typically this type of person that place the "hater" label on others.

Yes because we are classified as haters of other devices, or those who are fans of them, because we dont want to hear about it or waste time debating about it and insulted for what is perceived as ignorance and narrow mindedness, and are insulted and harrassed for it to the point that yes we hate on those who do this.

Call me a hater.
    01-12-12 04:18 PM
    Call me a hater; I mean, I don't even like my friends or my wife.
    01-12-12 04:21 PM
    Yes because we are classified as haters of other devices, or those who are fans of them, because we dont want to hear about it or waste time debating about it and insulted for what is perceived as ignorance and narrow mindedness, and are insulted and harrassed for it to the point that yes we hate on those who do this.

Call me a hater.
    I was thinking in terms of "haters" of the blackberry brand. Granted, I haven't spent MUCH time in the Playbook subforum, but I know in other areas of CB users of other devices *typically* don't raise a stink unless provoked (ie misinformation given about the capabilities of a non-RIM device by someone who doesn't really know how it works, inflammatory comments like iToy and iSheep, etc). Further, in those instances those who have been wronged try to correct the mistake and go about their day. I'm NOT saying that there aren't trolls on this site (see type 1), but the MAJORITY of the people who use other devices are still on CB because we still like RIM, want them to succeed, and keep tabs on new devices. Again, though, I haven't spent much time on the PB boards so things here could be vastly different than what I have experienced.
    01-12-12 04:27 PM
    Hate is a bit strong; I prefer to call it P-Envy
    01-12-12 04:34 PM
    This is just my opinion. If you want to compare different platforms and devices start a post that states that. Not all post need or should be turned into a comparison. To many times a post is started with the intent of expressing a felling of excitement for owning a Playbook and BB antagonists come here to pee in there cornflakes. There is really no call for it but it happends regularly for some reason.
    Most tablets on the market have there pros and cons. If the one (or ones if you own multiple) you own does what you want it to do and you are happy.....Great. You made a wise purchase. Don't try and convince me I made a bad choice. Why would anyone care which tablet I own.
    The "hate" IMO comes from people who like conflict. The want to prove they are right and have made a good decision for some reason. That they are smarter than the rest of us. People are drawn to negative more than positive.
    DBH= Don't Be Hating. It is a waste of energy to argue with someone whose mind is made up.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    01-12-12 04:36 PM
    Oops!!.......
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 01-12-12 at 04:53 PM.
    01-12-12 04:45 PM
    Once again, why are we fighting each other about discussing the exact definition of the term "hater"? If I want to join in, at least I should know when I've won the argument debate. Because otherwise it would be pointless.

PS If the point of the discussion is to get the last word, please treat the above question as rhetorical.
    01-12-12 04:51 PM
    Type 2a Series 002 here - will try to use common sense to talk both fanboys and haters out of silly arguments.

I called a supporter a hater just two days ago and you know, I couldn't be blamed for it. It is not what is said, but how it is said, which in the internet gets a lot more complicated, because you can't predict how people reading will interpret/react...
    01-12-12 05:18 PM
    I use forums to trouble shoot real device/software issues on two platforms; Apple and BB. My point which I assume is moot, is that it is nauseating to filter through hate, just to get to a solution. It is interesting that the communities on both sides/platforms equally lose civility rapidly. Whereas we should be more helpful.
    Hgouck, spike12 and peter9477 like this.
    01-12-12 05:19 PM
    Yeah its kind of tiresome going through these threads as a new PB owner and constantly seeing bickering from Ipeople/Droids bashing PB. If you hate it so much move on with your life.

I currently have a Galaxy S and PB living together peacefully.
    TTBGF likes this.
    01-12-12 05:44 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD