Lack of Angry Birds? How about lack of Calendar. Email. Stuff we business people use.

I'll take a 'puffed up phone os' over a handicapped accessory to a phone (which is all the Playbook is at the moment) just so I can get real work done.
    If you were a business user that owned a bb you would have that. But yes and it's coming, just not soon enough for some.

BTW I don't find it handicapped and do find it so much more than an accessory to my phone but that is just me
    12-09-11 08:35 PM
    If you were a business user that owned a bb you would have that. But yes and it's coming, just not soon enough for some.
    I think 6+ months out from the release is a more than generous timeframe for stuff like an imap/pop email client and a native calendar application... None of this was originally supposed to be tied with OS v2...
    FF22 likes this.
    12-09-11 08:39 PM
    The Playbook was a massive failure. It is interesting to watch you attack other posters for pointing that out. You remind me of Blackjack.

You can deny it all you want, but RIM took a half billion dollar write-down because of the failure of the Playbook. The public rejected it because it just wasn't good. If it was a success, there never would have been a fire-sale. You like to say 'discerning' users pick the PB, but that's just not the case.

You can call a Pinto a Porsche all you want, but that won't make it so. It would be nice if you just agreed to disagree instead of screaming at the rain to stop falling.

Have a good weekend.

Who else's opinion would it be? Certainly not the opinion of most members of this forum as can be extrapolated from the numerous polls. You should take into account that you possess an opinion that is in the distinct minority on this forum and frame your posts in a manner that is cognizant of that established fact.

The clamour for PB has some desperate folks launching law suits because they can't get them into their sweating hands fast enough.

The PB is an excellent device even in its nascent form and it's high time you admitted it. That's not just my opinion.
    xandermac likes this.
    12-09-11 08:39 PM
    I think 6+ months out from the release is a more than generous timeframe for stuff like an imap/pop email client and a native calendar application... None of this was originally supposed to be tied with OS v2...
    You're right. None of it was suppose to be on it all because RIM wrongly assumed they had a great idea with that stuff not being on the PB so there would be no harm with a lost PB and several users could use the same PB with none of the other users info on it except when bridged.

We all know how that turned out. So it was like they had to start all over again to get what people wanted. Still sounds good for a corporation. I agree they should've been able to get an email client on it but then everybody would just bit ch it wasn't push or blackberry email.
    12-09-11 08:44 PM
    Lack of Angry Birds? How about lack of Calendar. Email. Stuff we business people use.

I'll take a 'puffed up phone os' over a handicapped accessory to a phone (which is all the Playbook is at the moment) just so I can get real work done.
    Got bridge capability? Your complaints are moot if you do. The bridge is sweet. Very sweet. Completely outperforms anything the competition has to offer.
    12-09-11 08:45 PM
    The Playbook was a massive failure. It is interesting to watch you attack other posters for pointing that out. You remind me of Blackjack.

You can deny it all you want, but RIM took a half billion dollar write-down because of the failure of the Playbook. The public rejected it because it just wasn't good. If it was a success, there never would have been a fire-sale. You like to say 'discerning' users pick the PB, but that's just not the case.

You can call a Pinto a Porsche all you want, but that won't make it so. It would be nice if you just agreed to disagree instead of screaming at the rain to stop falling.

Have a good weekend.
    this made me laugh........ wow......
    12-09-11 08:46 PM

Have a good weekend.
    May I ask what devices you use? You sound like a disgruntled fired RIM employee.

I do like shoots but agree he could tone it down a little but understand him too.
    anindoc likes this.
    12-09-11 08:50 PM
    You're right. None of it was suppose to be on it all because RIM wrongly assumed they had a great idea with that stuff not being on the PB so there would be no harm with a lost PB and several users could use the same PB with none of the other users info on it except when bridged.
    That's not entirely correct though, because the roadmap was already slated (officially) to have native email/pim 60 days after launch, and then once more near devcon after the 1st deadline was missed. They didn't have to start from scratch those specific features were already planned ahead of time... Over promising and undelivering isn't the same thing as misreading the market and having to start over. They did the former, not the latter.
    this made me laugh........ wow......
    By her logic, the Porsche is a failure because it doesn't sell as well as VW.

QNX is heavyduty. A puffed up phone OS is not.
    anindoc likes this.
    That's not entirely correct though, because the roadmap was already slated (officially) to have native email/pim 60 days after launch, and then once more near devcon after the 1st deadline was missed. They didn't have to start from scratch those specific features were already planned ahead of time... Over promising and undelivering isn't the same thing as misreading the market and having to start over. They did the former, not the latter.
    I'm not so sure. I could be wrong but I think that was the initial plan before all of the complaining after it was released. It was advertised as your bb phone amplified or something like that.
    12-09-11 08:53 PM
    The way I see it RIM thought the PB would be widely adopted by the existing BB users in the business sector. The bridge would allow employees to use the tablet but leave no information on it. That would be the reason there is no native calendar, email, or even the ability to take a screen shot while connected to BES. Seems it was all by design. The first professional grade tablet. Well it wasn't a big hit for business and Rim needed to change direction. The problem was they didn't have a backup plan.

Here comes OS2. A more consumer oriented OS. So if things stay on schedule RIM released a tablet, waited, redirected, developed a new OS and re-release in 10 months. Not so bad in my opinion. I happen to think OS2 will be here before February but that is pure speculation. Infact this whole post is speculation. Just my take on the saga.
    AggreX, kbz1960 and anindoc like this.
    12-09-11 09:09 PM
    You guys are too fast. I don't remember any promises at launch. I could be wrong. I don't care enough to remember all the details. I do remember hearing about andriod at launch though.
    12-09-11 09:16 PM
    I'm not so sure. I could be wrong but I think that was the initial plan before all of the complaining after it was released. It was advertised as your bb phone amplified or something like that.
    That's how I remembered it too. And in Sept/2010 it was even considered "clever".

RIM announces 7-inch BlackBerry PlayBook tablet (updated) | VentureBeat
    12-09-11 09:37 PM
    its just like it has been and more than likely will be. remember way back before the internet all the kids in any givin school had their own idea of what is cool and town to town it was a bit or a lot different. back to today with world wide instant comunication it has only gotten worse and more global. at first it was BB phones or old junk. then came apple and android and the winds changed a bit. then tablets and boom. war was on (in the lame tech blogs and media that is) and it was driod vs ios all the way. i dont see why but the "haters" on the net gained power and now it seams thats all there is left. why cant people like one thing without saying all other choices suck? why? anyway. if 10% of the people ******** tried the playbook they would shut up pretty fast. i mean most people i know use a browser to check email. whats the big deal? and remember iphone in the begining. no apps and lots of complaints. time moves a bit to fast for me these days.

to all the haters. SHUT UP TILL U USE IT.

and man o man do i use it

and one more thing. why is it that anytime someone says anything about the compeditors devices they are a fanboy? i hate that damn word. its as bad as epic fail. yes there are people who love their apple stuff and others that love android and so on but must everyone be a fanboy?

ok all done now
    Last edited by CanadianThomas; 12-09-11 at 10:00 PM.
    Mr.Monty likes this.
    12-09-11 09:51 PM
    "Amateur hour" refers to the OS. BB10 is a dedicated tablet app not a puffed up phone one. There is plenty of room for improving the average consumer experience but already the PB OS surpasses the competition in many areas. The browser is the best. Hardware top notch. Bridge is excellent. UI the most advanced. The list goes on.

Perhaps that's is from where much of the strife originates: some see the power of the PB and some see the lack of angry birds. If an angry birds app is important to some (though some play the flash version and report that it is good), well, they have reason not to like the PB though why they would make a special trip here to complain about it is what puzzles me. I'd never consider going to a roid or ifad site to complain about bugginess or lack of web content.
    well i agree a bit. it should be noted that ios is mac os x, a bit stripped down and with different api's for the ui and all but.....
    12-09-11 10:04 PM
    It's too bad the PB cannot be a stand alone device. It's too bad it needs to lean on a phone to do basic communication and scheduling. What if you have to pull the battery on the phone?

For $200 though, not a bad deal any more. An affordable Blackberry accessory.

Got bridge capability? Your complaints are moot if you do. The bridge is sweet. Very sweet. Completely outperforms anything the competition has to offer.
    12-09-11 10:07 PM
    I have one thing for you.... the playbook is not for everyone, its for smart people who have outgrown the need for a device that has billions of useless apps.......
    please, how can u say that. i have apps for my autistic son on his ipad that have no equal in our appworld. show me anything as good as airvideo, orb lol right.

in my house we have a lot of apple toys but i do prefer my bb phone and playbook combo

but to imply the extra apps in the ios world are useless is just an uninformed outlook. sorry, not "hating"on you but it had to be said.

medical apps for doctors, apps for education needs of special needs kids. the list is verry long
    FF22 likes this.
    12-09-11 10:13 PM
    By her logic, the Porsche is a failure because it doesn't sell as well as VW.

QNX is heavyduty. A puffed up phone OS is not.
    Except a porsche has a specific aura (desirable, high end, expensive, rich) while the playbook has the complete opposite (undesirable, cheap, clunky)

If we're to get analogies correct, in this case the ipad 2 would be the porsche, and the playbook would be the VW in a world where no one bought VW's
    12-09-11 10:21 PM
    Who else's opinion would it be? Certainly not the opinion of most members of this forum as can be extrapolated from the numerous polls. You should take into account that you possess an opinion that is in the distinct minority on this forum and frame your posts in a manner that is cognizant of that established fact.

The clamour for PB has some desperate folks launching law suits because they can't get them into their sweating hands fast enough.

The PB is an excellent device even in its nascent form and it's high time you admitted it. That's not just my opinion.
    It is YOUR opinion it is excellent. Review the polls again. The distinct minority was a sizable number of folks. If I recall at least 20%. And as has been noted so many times, on an enthusiasts site, the number should have been better. It is a decent device but it is not excellent.

But you and I will almost never agree so let's accept that now.
    12-09-11 10:21 PM
    The way I see it RIM thought the PB would be widely adopted by the existing BB users in the business sector. The bridge would allow employees to use the tablet but leave no information on it. That would be the reason there is no native calendar, email, or even the ability to take a screen shot while connected to BES. Seems it was all by design. The first professional grade tablet.
    But it wasn't even that - it could not spell. If you wanted your email to be correct (unless you were a flawless typist on a glass surface), you needed to read it on the pb and reply on the phone. It had and still has, at best, anemic professional apps - Word, Sheets and PDF apps are poor imitations of their counterparts on bb phones.

Just today I was typing an email, went to another app to check something and returned to the partially composed email, I had no cursor. I could not figure out where it was and trying to correct a typo was even more of a problem with no cursor whatsoever. Professional? Something to strive for, I guess.
    12-09-11 10:33 PM
    It's too bad the PB cannot be a stand alone device. It's too bad it needs to lean on a phone to do basic communication and scheduling. What if you have to pull the battery on the phone?

For $200 though, not a bad deal any more. An affordable Blackberry accessory.
    The super combo is awesome. Smokes anything from the competition. The bridge is sweet and free.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-09-11 10:47 PM
    http://crackberry.com/native-email-a...aybook-60-days
    12-09-11 10:52 PM
    the playbook is pretty solid. but given the way rim has been treating it, it outrightly deserves to fail and it has. if they disappoint again in feb, nothing will save them.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-09-11 10:52 PM
    It is YOUR opinion it is excellent. Review the polls again. The distinct minority was a sizable number of folks. If I recall at least 20%. And as has been noted so many times, on an enthusiasts site, the number should have been better. It is a decent device but it is not excellent.

But you and I will almost never agree so let's accept that now.
    You are in the distinct minority. Facts are facts.

Remember as well that the open polls showed that people who had never owned a PB were voting and choosing the worst opt they could. Gotta love open polls.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-09-11 10:54 PM
    Lol shootscores saying "facts are facts".....
    12-09-11 10:57 PM
256 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD