It's the antagonist fanboys that get these threads closed and themselves banned. If they could accept a little justified criticism things would go a lot smoother here.
    Imagine that, PB enthusiasts on a PB forum? What's the world coming to?

I bought a PB because, all things considered, it's superior to the competition.

Love my PB.
    Mr.Monty likes this.
    12-09-11 02:39 PM
    Imagine that, PB enthusiasts on a PB forum? What's the world coming to?

I bought a PB because, all things considered, it's superior to the competition.
    Ok, I'll bite... Other than the form factor (which there are many 7" tablets now) and the bridge function, what specifically is superior to what the competitors offer right now...

And I don't mean generic crap like "the browser is the best". More like what specifically makes the browser better than all of the competitors browsers right now...
    12-09-11 02:43 PM
    @papped: I bought it in September, so I am not one of the early adopters.

@lynntarbox: Sorry to hear that.

Like I said, I bought it for Media and Browsing, and it meets my needs. If you feel the need to dissect it and compare it to other devices that's fine. I did my homework and purchased the device that met my needs. If they add more functionality (would LOVE to have PowerAMP from Android) awesome; If they don't, that's fine by me too.

~Ex
    Mr.Monty likes this.
    12-09-11 02:47 PM
    Like I said, I bought it for Media and Browsing, and it meets my needs. If you feel the need to dissect it and compare it to other devices that's fine.
    It's not just me. Anybody considering a purchase is going to weigh the device against what other options they have. That's just what people do... Thinking I'm the only person that is going to do this is ludicrous....

Also the general state of the tablet and ecosystem did not change to a great extent by September, except for the bridge and gaming ports.
    12-09-11 02:49 PM
    Because its a great piece of hardware that doesn't live up to its potential.
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-09-11 02:49 PM
    amen brother amen
    12-09-11 04:27 PM
    Ok, I'll bite... Other than the form factor (which there are many 7" tablets now) and the bridge function, what specifically is superior to what the competitors offer right now...

And I don't mean generic crap like "the browser is the best". More like what specifically makes the browser better than all of the competitors browsers right now...
    What you are saying is mostly crap IMO.
    alnamvet68 and Mr.Monty like this.
    12-09-11 05:06 PM
    There is far too much resorting to four-letter words and insulting terms for the competition, and too little honest offering of reasons for expressed opinions.

I do not have an iPad, but I have played with it enough to know it is a very capable device. Calling it and its users names is pointless and not going to change anything. I do have a Samsung Android tablet, and it also is quite capable. More importantly, it has access to the Android Marketplace, which, like the Apple market, offers all the main programs that should be available for the Playbook, but aren't. All Playbook users should be griping about that, in the hopes that RIM will listen and pay a few programmers overtime to bring Gmail and a few other apps to the PB market.

PB browser vs others? I think it is quite good--just as good as Dolphin, for instance--if you leave aside the things it won't do. When I pick up a tablet, I generally bring up the browser and go to a few main websites, to see how smooth they load, and how smoothly I can bring up lower linked pages. The PB browser, to me anyway, seems as good as any on this (admittedly subjective) test--sites load quickly and smoothly and there's no problem getting around. I sometimes check playback and streaming of video, to see if there is any "stutter." The PB does well on this test. What the PB browser won't do, unfortunately, is stream Netflix--lacks the needed plugin. Nor does RIM make a Netflix App available. This should be more overtime work for the programmers, and it should have happened six months ago.

I generally like my Playbook. I'm not sure the 7" form factor is a good thing for my eyes, but I can take it places that I would not take a larger device. The three things I tend to need it for in these situations is browsing, email checking and calendar. At present, I feel it is "crippled" in that it lacks native email and calendar programs. Sure, I can (and do) use the browser to access those functions through a browser-interfaced service; but, it would be nice to have the data "pushed" to me, like on my larger Samsung tablet. I shouldn't have to switch to a BB smart phone to get those basic functions, either (I don't even use a smart phone).

Well, I hope this isn't considered "hate," and that it also does not provoke "hate." As I said, I think complaints about deficiencies in the PB are constructive, in that they might prod RIM to do something--like pay a few programmers overtime to produce some basic software apps. (I know, it's been 6 months and it hasn't happened, yet.) Even if not, they at least spread information on deficiencies and might cause useful feedback from people with clever work-arounds and solutions for the problems.
    Last edited by Unsure2; 12-09-11 at 05:54 PM.
    12-09-11 05:32 PM
    There is far too much resorting to four-letter words and insulting terms for the competition, and too little honest offering of reasons for opinions.

I do not have an iPad, but I have played with it enough to know it is a very capable device. Calling it and its users names is pointless and not going to change anything. I do have a Samsung Android tablet, and it also is quite capable. More importantly, it has access to the Android Marketplace, which, like the Apple market, offers all the main programs that should be available for the Playbook, but aren't. All Playbook users should be griping about that, in the hopes that RIM will listen.

PB browser vs others? I think it is quite good, if you leave aside the things it won't do. When I pick up a tablet, I generally bring up the browser and go to a few main websites, to see how smooth they load. The PB browser, to me anyway, seem

Therein lies the rub, most PB owners don't feel it's an issue worthy of all the angst ascribed to the PB by most non or former PB owners; most of us are quite satisfied with the way the Playbook is.
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-09-11 05:39 PM
    Therein lies the rub, most PB owners don't feel it's an issue worthy of all the angst ascribed to the PB by most non or former PB owners; most of us are quite satisfied with the way the Playbook is.
    Therein lies the other rub: if rim does not change anything, we will remain a very strong, sturdy, 600,000 users with few developers interested in our supremely perfect device. And if we are all satisfied, rim will never improve on a device which is half-baked - even by their own initial INTIMATIONS on what it would have.
    12-09-11 06:24 PM
    High expectations, poor support, missed deadlines.
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-09-11 06:26 PM
    Therein lies the other rub: if rim does not change anything, we will remain a very strong, sturdy, 600,000 users with few developers interested in our supremely perfect device. And if we are all satisfied, rim will never improve on a device which is half-baked - even by their own initial INTIMATIONS on what it would have.
    Using that logic, it would reaffirm what I have always believed, that Apple product owners are really an unhappy bunch; this more then accounts for the constant and frequent changes to their product line.
    12-09-11 06:28 PM
    In which case it'll never measure up.

Apple allowed native apps simply because of market pressures and look what happened to sales when the AppStore opened!!! Without market pressure they would have continued with their assertion that web apps were good enough. Boy were they wrong! Just like you.

RIM have to be pressured or this tablet will always be no more than an "also ran". It's great that you're happy but wouldn't you like to see more from the playbook? I know most people would. If everyone is apathetic RIM will never get anything done.
    12-09-11 06:29 PM
    You're going to see the PB talk from RIM die down after the Feb OS release anyhow unless they release new tablet hardware (which might even be more risky and expensive than not releasing new hardware). Just like how the BB phones lost a lot of focus from RIM in the last year+ to pave the way for the PB. They are going to shift focus to BB10 in general and having it run on phones in order to focus on phone sales for 2012 rather than trying to revive tablet sales a year later with the same hardware.
    12-09-11 06:30 PM
    I would like ask anyone in here that is knowledgeable on the OS workings if any of the delays with everything have anything to do with the change in UI?

I've read so much sometimes I tend to forget or think I read something other than what I'm thinking.

Was the original OS UI done with adobe air? And now they are changing to TAT and Cascades? If so, does this kind of mess with apps that were all ready done and functions?

Thanks to anyone that knows what they are talking about.
    12-09-11 06:55 PM
    You're going to see the PB talk from RIM die down after the Feb OS release anyhow unless they release new tablet hardware (which might even be more risky and expensive than not releasing new hardware). Just like how the BB phones lost a lot of focus from RIM in the last year+ to pave the way for the PB. They are going to shift focus to BB10 in general and having it run on phones in order to focus on phone sales for 2012 rather than trying to revive tablet sales a year later with the same hardware.
    Your posts are vacuous. Go back to lurking or, better yet, get a PB and learn it. BB10 is the PB OS with updates. OS7 is the last version of the BBOS. QNX tablet OS is BB10 which will be the latest iteration of QNX tablet 1.0 which will be deployed on existing and future tablets and phones.
    alnamvet68 and jafobabe like this.
    12-09-11 06:56 PM
    Thank you for informing me that BB10 is actually QNX rebranded.. I literally had no idea...
    xandermac likes this.
    12-09-11 06:58 PM
    Thank you for informing me that BB10 is actually QNX rebranded.. I literally had no idea...
    I know.

PB hardware is more than adequate and is in many ways superior to the leading competitors'. The OS in its initial cautious and conservative release already outperforms the competition in many ways. You don't appear to understand that it's not RIM's highly regarded engineering that makes the PB the best tablet on the market for the discerning electronics consumer. It's the infinitely scalable and easily updateable RTOS. The UI is so sweet. Best there is.
    12-09-11 07:29 PM
    I know.

PB hardware is more than adequate and is in many ways superior to the leading competitors'. The OS in its initial cautious and conservative release already outperforms the competition in many ways. You don't appear to understand that it's not RIM's highly regarded engineering that makes the PB the best tablet on the market for the discerning electronics consumer. It's the infinitely scalable and easily updateable RTOS. The UI is so sweet. Best there is.
    In what was is the hardware superior iyo?
    12-09-11 07:53 PM
    Using that logic, it would reaffirm what I have always believed, that Apple product owners are really an unhappy bunch; this more then accounts for the constant and frequent changes to their product line.
    You may have a point. But Apple has perfected the "art" of getting its supporters to want the next generation as much if not more than they wanted the current generation device. Rim has not managed to get its first generation device popular. In MY OPINION there will not be many who clamor for PB - The Next Generation.
    12-09-11 08:08 PM
    You may have a point. But Apple has perfected the "art" of getting its supporters to want the next generation as much if not more than they wanted the current generation device. Rim has not managed to get its first generation device popular. In MY OPINION there will not be many who clamor for PB - The Next Generation.
    Probably not me until the one I have dies. Then Yes.
    12-09-11 08:10 PM
    Probably not me until the one I have dies. Then Yes.
    But, see, that's where Apple appears to shine. Out with the old, in with the new. They create demand even if the older tablet still serves its purpose. But then it seems that the old units do retain a modicum of value. I'm not sure we can say the same for our esteemed pb's.

I am speculating based on stuff I've read but I could see rim adding to internal memory since it sounds as if the Android aspect is pretty memory demanding.
    12-09-11 08:16 PM
    Who else's opinion would it be? Certainly not the opinion of most members of this forum as can be extrapolated from the numerous polls. You should take into account that you possess an opinion that is in the distinct minority on this forum and frame your posts in a manner that is cognizant of that established fact.

The clamour for PB has some desperate folks launching law suits because they can't get them into their sweating hands fast enough.

The PB is an excellent device even in its nascent form and it's high time you admitted it. That's not just my opinion.
    12-09-11 08:19 PM
    But, see, that's where Apple appears to shine. Out with the old, in with the new. They create demand even if the older tablet still serves its purpose. But then it seems that the old units do retain a modicum of value. I'm not sure we can say the same for our esteemed pb's.

I am speculating based on stuff I've read but I could see rim adding to internal memory since it sounds as if the Android aspect is pretty memory demanding.
    Yeah I would be the same way if I had an ipad. I'm cheap and like to keep my stuff until either it's getting too old or I get tired of it. Certainly that doesn't happen for me for a couple years at least. And yes our pb I'm sure won't retain their value like apple stuff does.

Well damn them on the memory thing. Are talking drive space or memory? I only have a 16gb'er.
    12-09-11 08:19 PM
    Lack of Angry Birds? How about lack of Calendar. Email. Stuff we business people use.

I'll take a 'puffed up phone os' over a handicapped accessory to a phone (which is all the Playbook is at the moment) just so I can get real work done.

"Amateur hour" refers to the OS. BB10 is a dedicated tablet app not a puffed up phone one. There is plenty of room for improving the average consumer experience but already the PB OS surpasses the competition in many areas. The browser is the best. Hardware top notch. Bridge is excellent. UI the most advanced. The list goes on.

Perhaps that's is from where much of the strife originates: some see the power of the PB and some see the lack of angry birds. If an angry birds app is important to some (though some play the flash version and report that it is good), well, they have reason not to like the PB though why they would make a special trip here to complain about it is what puzzles me. I'd never consider going to a roid or ifad site to complain about bugginess or lack of web content.
    12-09-11 08:29 PM
256 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD