The BlackBerry PlayBook is not a toy you insensitive clod. An ill-named product does not a toy make. And yes I am aware of the US-centric meaning of "playbook."
    Is the PlayBook a necessity in life? Is it needed in your everyday survival like food, water, and shelter? If not, then like most everything else we use in our daily lives, it's safe to call them "toys". But props on the name calling..I can see you are highly skilled in the world of debate.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    12-09-11 10:16 AM
    LMAO! Etch-a-Sketch....that is too funny.
    It is indeed. Was my first tablet.
    12-09-11 10:22 AM
    It is indeed. Was my first tablet.
    Didn't even have portrait mode. How far we've come.
    12-09-11 10:26 AM
    I still shake the tablet to reset everything.

Last edited by jamesbondOO7; 12-09-11 at 10:34 AM.
    modine and FF22 like this.
    12-09-11 10:30 AM
    Well, I didn't buy my playbook to have to use a phone to take care of its shortcomings. And most people don't want something that is just an extension of their phone. But then you say its redundant to have duplicate functions? I think that just shows you're ignorant of what people want in a tablet - which is a wide range of desires including the ability to sms, email, play games etc.
    Well, that's some pretty strong language, but no worries, I'm not going to press the "Mommy" button on you. A more appropriate and realistic description of what people like me want in a tablet is simplicity and function, without duplication of unnecessary bells and whistles, which, I will add, are nice if it came with them, and nice if in fact we get them next year, but I won't miss them if I don't ever get them.
    12-09-11 10:33 AM
    Well, I didn't buy my playbook to have to use a phone to take care of its shortcomings. And most people don't want something that is just an extension of their phone. But then you say its redundant to have duplicate functions? I think that just shows you're ignorant of what people want in a tablet - which is a wide range of desires including the ability to sms, email, play games etc.
    I bought a Bold in back in Feb. because I learned that the PB would bridge to it, it would play flash and the 7" form factor. The super combo delivers "native" email. Lovin' my PB.
    12-09-11 10:35 AM
    I do not understand the notion that the phone takes care of the shortcomings of the tablet. I accept that the power of the PlayBook needs a BlackBerry phone to be fully used, but it can certainly be very useful on its own.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-09-11 10:39 AM
    I bought a Bold in back in Feb. because I learned that the PB would bridge to it, it would play flash and the 7" form factor. The super combo delivers "native" email. Lovin' my PB.
    Cool. Isn't that off topic? I have bridge too. But that doesn't mean everyone has a bb phone or even the convenience of using bridge all the time. Please post on topic, I think that's why threads are derailed so easily on this forum, because we got some people here that are too opinionated and never tone it down.
    12-09-11 10:43 AM
    Having started this thread yesterday, I am frankly surprised at how much attention it has received over the past 24 hours. One thing it proves, there are still people out there who are still very emotional when it comes to their BlackBerry products - whether it be a BB phone or the BB PlayBook. And rightly so! I too still love my BB phones. As I matter of fact, I just upgraded to the 9930 last week!

Thankfully this thread has not become a place of insults or name calling, which no doubt would have led to its being closed (the mods are doing a great job, by the way. I'm sure its not been easy in recent times).

But just to add a few points:

Just because one is not happy with a product (eg PlayBook) does not mean one is a RIM hater. Personally I did not like the PlayBook and returned mine. But I am still a huge BlackBerry phone fan, and for MY needs, they are still the best phones out there.

At the end of the day, everything is relative. A good device is only deemed to be good, based on our own needs and assessment. And yes, we are ALL entitled to our own opinion.

Hopefully we can all continue to discuss the many pros and cons of our beloved devices without having to resort to name calling and insults.

Thanks guys......may the discussion continue.

And long live BlackBerry!!
    12-09-11 10:43 AM
    Well, that's some pretty strong language, but no worries, I'm not going to press the "Mommy" button on you. A more appropriate and realistic description of what people like me want in a tablet is simplicity and function, without duplication of unnecessary bells and whistles, which, I will add, are nice if it came with them, and nice if in fact we get them next year, but I won't miss them if I don't ever get them.
    I hope your feelings aren't hurt because I used "strong language". Wow... the feigned sensitivity is high in this forum. Maybe that is why the forum has issues.

The shortcomings aren't unnecessary bells and whistles... they're basic features that tech and mobile devices have had for years.

I do not understand the notion that the phone takes care of the shortcomings of the tablet. I accept that the power of the PlayBook needs a BlackBerry phone to be fully used, but it can certainly be very useful on its own.
    I don't understand how you don't understand the notion. I think its clear that the playbook lacks things the bridge is required to fulfill. Anyway, I guess you're entitled to your somewhat blind opinion.
    Last edited by esqlaw; 12-09-11 at 10:49 AM.
    12-09-11 10:46 AM
    Cool. Isn't that off topic? I have bridge too. But that doesn't mean everyone has a bb phone or even the convenience of using bridge all the time. Please post on topic, I think that's why threads are derailed so easily on this forum, because we got some people here that are too opinionated and never tone it down.
    ^^ you for one really need to tone your posts a bit..... opinions are ok to be voiced, but don't get down to personal attacks.

Threads will be derailed, no one follows any rules here or for that matter on any forums- this is after all the internet, where on the other side of a computer/tablet/cell screen sits an individual and says what he/she wants, with the maximum repercussion of been banned from the forums, and having the added advantage of coming back with a different name. In real life and face-to-face it would be a complete different ball game.
    stubbornswiss likes this.
    12-09-11 10:51 AM
    ^^ you for one really need to tone your posts a bit..... opinions are ok to be voiced, but don't get down to personal attacks.

Threads will be derailed, no one follows any rules here or for that matter on any forums- this is after all the internet, where on the other side of a computer/tablet/cell screen sits an individual and says what he/she wants, with the maximum repercussion of been banned from the forums, and having the added advantage of coming back with a different name. In real life and face-to-face it would be a complete different ball game.
    What personal attack? I am sure if you read too deeply into a post you'll find some imaginary attack but I definitely intended none. In so called real life... words aren't toneless. You can read a negative tone in my post no matter how I phrase it. "In real life" it wouldn't come off with a negative tone, so yes it would be a different ball game.
    12-09-11 10:57 AM
    I think that just shows you're ignorant of what people want in a tablet - which is a wide range of desires including the ability to sms, email, play games etc.
    Perhaps you should have waited for real world feature lists and reviews instead of buying day one.
    12-09-11 11:16 AM
    I don't understand how you don't understand the notion. I think its clear that the playbook lacks things the bridge is required to fulfill. Anyway, I guess you're entitled to your somewhat blind opinion.
    It is stuff like this, that leads to threads being derailed.

PLEASE, lets keep it civil. We ALL love our devices, and we are all entitled to our opinions.

If you don't want to, or just find you cannot, partake in a civil discussion, please move on to the next thread. Thank you.
    jamesbondOO7 and Mr.Monty like this.
    12-09-11 11:19 AM
    Here we go....
    12-09-11 11:27 AM
    Wait a second ... what was this thread about? Browser crashes? Power plants?Rim's profit margin?
    Exactly. Doesn't take much does it? Within minutes they're complaining about browser crashes, Rim's profit margin, Rim competing.. etc., etc. etc., give it a few more posts and the insults will start. Honestly, if one is not completely satisfied with an item one has bought the solution is very simple. Return it. Or sell it. Or give it away. But to keep it and then keep complaining about how it lacks this and crashes that (the same things over and over again)...strikes me as being very odd.

As has been said before, it's a very exhausting forum.
    Last edited by JiveGirl14; 12-09-11 at 11:30 AM.
    Chaddface likes this.
    12-09-11 11:28 AM
    It makes me wonder since you no longer own a PB yet you stand by your claim that the PB browser sucks like anything (amongst so many other things thats awful with the PB in your eyes). Did you have it when the last few upgrades were released with various patches or were you too tired of finding further flaws with the PB and decided to ditch it.... whatever was your reason, I must say now that your claims about the PB browser or anything else no longer holds any water, as you dont even own a PB...... so please move on from our PB forums.
    Lol the self appointed forum police are out in full force I see
    12-09-11 11:29 AM
    Taking an adult One A Day Gummy Bear MVI to counter the exhaaustion.
    12-09-11 11:30 AM
    Lol the self appointed forum police are out in full force I see
    You bet they are.... after all the self appointed trolls are amass in these forums.. lol
    Last edited by anindoc; 12-09-11 at 11:40 AM.
    12-09-11 11:36 AM
    Hatred?? Well its obviously because the QNX OS is not availabe on any other tablet.......they gotta join the Rimpire warts and all
    12-09-11 11:38 AM
    So have we established that the hatred comes from a relatively small group of dissatisfied users? If that is the case we now need to determine why they are still users.
    12-09-11 11:45 AM
    As I have said before, not every dissatisfied user is a RIM hater.

Why cant we just have a decent, civil discussion? We are allowed to be dissatisfied, we are allowed to not agree with the next person. Why does it always have to sink to this?

Maybe its time for the mods to close this thread.

And as the OP, I am sorry to have to request this.
    12-09-11 11:51 AM
    It's the antagonist fanboys that get these threads closed and themselves banned. If they could accept a little justified criticism things would go a lot smoother here.
    esqlaw, FF22, papped and 2 others like this.
    12-09-11 11:55 AM
    I remember when my father purchased his first computer. He chose the Osborne - remember that? I was 12 and he let me take it to school. (Man, was that ever heavy.) We went to the Osborne user group in Edmonton and I was so excited to talk to other owners about their computers with dad at my age and learn on the same level as they were.

Entering lines and lines of code to make simple games work consumed me and I couldn't wait for computers to mature. I envisioned color graphics and dragging and dropping between apps long long before the chips to do that were possible.

Now, in the palm of my hand, I can carry around this astounding tablet. ALL the tablets astound me. My local shopkeeper just picked up the Asus EE tablet and OMG he loaded Windows 7 and ran Photoshop CS on it in front of my eyes. I felt 12 again. He doesn't bash me about having my pb.

I have my pb and it is everything I need and more. I selected it from any number of toys I could have - I come here to learn about it. Sometimes it's frustrating when you don't understand what "side-loading" is, but with the folks in here all you have to do is ask and then you have the tools to further enjoy your user experience.

Thanks to everyone here for contributing to my PB experience and making this forum still the best resource online for anything BB.
    Not only do I remember the Osborne, mine is still in a box in the basement. I even purchased a board that made it dual boot to MS-dos!!!! So, yup, I remember it. The SHE in my life back then was going to keep recipes on it - never happened - to tedious to retype all of that data. I still keep her computer running but at a different address!!!!
    12-09-11 12:11 PM
    You're right for some people, other people not so much. About the only thing I want on my pb besides the typing functions is a multi client chat app that doesn't time out.
    12-09-11 12:11 PM
256 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD