As with any customer service. Thanks for posting. Off topic? What topic? Oh browser crashing...
    I can make my browser crash consistently if I set my homepage to yahoo and open 24 tabs. Tried and true. 24th tab every time. I just limit myself to 23 tabs. Sucks but that's all my PB can do. Maybe I should start a new thread about this annoying issue.
    24 tabs, well, 23!!!! Yikes, paging between even 5 or 6 is a bit much. No easy way to jump - you must scroll those small pages and they don't always show what is in any particular tab. Which actually is another reason, the Browser is not the best.
    12-08-11 11:45 PM
    Does it really? My Bold is a great telephone and the PB browser is the best to be had in the tablet market.

Time for you to move along.
    I actually enjoy and appreciate papped's posts. Generally quite informative and has been in the forum a long time.
    12-08-11 11:47 PM
    Papped:

How do you make the Browser crash? Mine does implode quite regularly but I have not quite figured out what does it. Usually multiple tabs but sometimes, just one tab.
    12-09-11 12:05 AM
    I actually enjoy and appreciate papped's posts. Generally quite informative and has been in the forum a long time.
    I trust he'll be able to reestablish the trend.
    12-09-11 12:08 AM
    Agree with you, but somehow, the fact that QNX runs power plants is the most often used argument here on this forum
    It does? I did not know that.
    12-09-11 01:15 AM
    The Playbook debate does seem to evoke emotions. Some people here may be too emotionally invested in their toys. It's interesting the way that some people get all heated about their iPad, Playbook or other tablet, when they routinely interact with more capable computers in their homes and offices that don't arouse emotions at all (except for occasional cursing). It makes me think that tablets really are personal toys for a lot of people--and I don't exclude myself.

However, having been involved with microcomputers since before we had the CP/M operating system--does anyone remember that?--I try not to wax fanactical about operating systems. Without the right marketing strategies, alliances and pushthrough, a superior OS means very little.

The Playbook's OS does seem stable enough. I have rarely had to reboot to dispel weirdnesses. Usually, closing the offending application is enough. But, unless RIM can find some way to market the PB at a profit and attract developers, nothing else is going to matter...
    FF22 and CanadianThomas like this.
    12-09-11 01:16 AM
    Papped:

How do you make the Browser crash? Mine does implode quite regularly but I have not quite figured out what does it. Usually multiple tabs but sometimes, just one tab.
    Start a download from filesonic file host (while you have another tab open). Close the filesonic tab right after the download starts, browser crashes. There were some forums that would routinely crash with about 4-5 tabs open, but I no longer have my PB so I can't really check the various circumstances now.
    12-09-11 04:04 AM
    This is part of the reason I put in a feature request to have the download manager outside of the browser app. When the browser takes a dump you lose all your downloads. They never bothered doing it though.
    12-09-11 04:09 AM
    24 tabs, well, 23!!!! Yikes, paging between even 5 or 6 is a bit much. No easy way to jump - you must scroll those small pages and they don't always show what is in any particular tab. Which actually is another reason, the Browser is not the best.
    There are many that say "the browser is not the best" . What browser is the best. I'm not challenging you, just curious. I don't ever use that many tabs but I thought it handled the 23 quite well. I guess they could have allocated more space for the tabs but then some would complain "it takes up too much screen space". For a tablet browser it seems to work good. I also have the blank tabs sometimes. The title is always there but the screen shot disappears randomly. It's too small to see anyway.
    12-09-11 05:10 AM
    Start a download from filesonic file host (while you have another tab open). Close the filesonic tab right after the download starts, browser crashes. There were some forums that would routinely crash with about 4-5 tabs open, but I no longer have my PB so I can't really check the various circumstances now.
    It makes me wonder since you no longer own a PB yet you stand by your claim that the PB browser sucks like anything (amongst so many other things thats awful with the PB in your eyes). Did you have it when the last few upgrades were released with various patches or were you too tired of finding further flaws with the PB and decided to ditch it.... whatever was your reason, I must say now that your claims about the PB browser or anything else no longer holds any water, as you dont even own a PB...... so please move on from our PB forums.
    12-09-11 05:34 AM
    For me its because it was marketed as "The first Professional Tablet" which it is most certainly not "Professional" in my eyes. I say that because it can't do anything that any other tablet can do and I am more productive and can do more things on my iPad 2.
    12-09-11 06:05 AM
    For me I'm annoyed because I feel ripped off at paying so much more than the current market price (yes, I know, "boo hoo" me), and I believed the statements RIM made about Apps, integrated email and the like coming soon, not in Feb 2012. If I had known it would be that long I would not have bought the PB, end of. I just feel, as a loyal RIM customer, horribly let down by this. RIM, repeat after me, "under promise, over deliver..."

I haven't taken part in any negative debates about the PB and I prefer to hang out in the 9900 forum where everyone talks about battery life and bricks. Much more fun

I note the OP returned his PB.
    fatherslot likes this.
    12-09-11 06:29 AM
    I am more productive and can do more things on my iPad 2.
    Just the opposite for me.
    12-09-11 07:32 AM
    However, having been involved with microcomputers since before we had the CP/M operating system--does anyone remember that?--...
    I remember when my father purchased his first computer. He chose the Osborne - remember that? I was 12 and he let me take it to school. (Man, was that ever heavy.) We went to the Osborne user group in Edmonton and I was so excited to talk to other owners about their computers with dad at my age and learn on the same level as they were.

Entering lines and lines of code to make simple games work consumed me and I couldn't wait for computers to mature. I envisioned color graphics and dragging and dropping between apps long long before the chips to do that were possible.

Now, in the palm of my hand, I can carry around this astounding tablet. ALL the tablets astound me. My local shopkeeper just picked up the Asus EE tablet and OMG he loaded Windows 7 and ran Photoshop CS on it in front of my eyes. I felt 12 again. He doesn't bash me about having my pb.

I have my pb and it is everything I need and more. I selected it from any number of toys I could have - I come here to learn about it. Sometimes it's frustrating when you don't understand what "side-loading" is, but with the folks in here all you have to do is ask and then you have the tools to further enjoy your user experience.

Thanks to everyone here for contributing to my PB experience and making this forum still the best resource online for anything BB.
    Mr.Monty likes this.
    12-09-11 07:49 AM
    Just the opposite for me.
    Me too!
    12-09-11 08:02 AM
    In the end, those who complain about the PB not having this, or having that, or where are the egg laying invertebrate flying reptile games, etc forget that your smart phone, more often then not, has all these features; email, SMS texting, games, et al. The PB is just an extension of your BB phone, if you have one, and I find it redundant to have to duplicate what's on my phone on to the PB. For me, the PB as is, has all the apps I need, and then some. If I want to check my messages, that's where my smart phone comes in.

Bottom line, the haters, as evidenced by many admissions by these naysayers, no longer have or never had, a BB phone or PB.
    Mr.Monty likes this.
    12-09-11 08:09 AM
    The Playbook debate does seem to evoke emotions. Some people here may be too emotionally invested in their toys.
    The BlackBerry PlayBook is not a toy you insensitive clod. An ill-named product does not a toy make. And yes I am aware of the US-centric meaning of "playbook."

It's interesting the way that some people get all heated about their iPad, Playbook or other tablet, when they routinely interact with more capable computers in their homes and offices that don't arouse emotions at all (except for occasional cursing). It makes me think that tablets really are personal toys for a lot of people--and I don't exclude myself.
    That is your interpretation. You view the tablet as a toy simply based on passionate enthusiasm for the device. If you seek a toy tablet try an Etch-a-Sketch.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    12-09-11 08:16 AM
    LMAO! Etch-a-Sketch....that is too funny.
    12-09-11 08:21 AM
    For me its because it was marketed as "The first Professional Tablet" which it is most certainly not "Professional" in my eyes.
    I think we can mostly agree Research In Motion fell down in its marketing strategy and cultivation of a development community which could have helped the tablet live up to its professional-grade tag line. That said, this tablet has been useful daily for me and other people. As long as Research In Motion continues improving the operating system and environment and the ratio of high-quality applications in BlackBerry App World steadily increases maybe amateur hour will finally come to an end.
    12-09-11 08:27 AM
    I think we can mostly agree Research In Motion fell down in its marketing strategy and cultivation of a development community which could have helped the tablet live up to its professional-grade tag line. That said, this tablet has been useful daily for me and other people. As long as Research In Motion continues improving the operating system and environment and the ratio of high-quality applications in BlackBerry App World steadily increases maybe amateur hour will finally come to an end.
    With the arrival of the PlayBook RIM has been ramping up efforts to woo developers to the platform. I would say they're doing pretty alright; the tools and dev community are there and growing. It takes time to build up an app ecosystem and it's not even a year since PlayBook OS was released. Alec Saunders understands this and knows what he's doing. Nevertheless, even if App World does take off it won't mean that amateur hour is over. RIM has deeper issues to deal with - IMO some of them would be a clear company vision and culture.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    12-09-11 08:51 AM
    Well said.
    12-09-11 09:00 AM
    I really can understand some of it as it still isn't what RIM said and showed it would be long before now. Air your gripe, get it out, make yourself feel better.

But to constantly harp on it over and over and over again in every thread, why? Of course there are those who don't have one and never planned on having one that have to put their 1/2 cent in.......you should buy (insert any other device).

Heck I've done my share of complaining from time to time but at the end of the day I love it and it does most of what I wanted out of a tablet as is. It's not perfect but I still want it over any of the others.
    jamesbondOO7 and AggreX like this.
    12-09-11 09:13 AM
    RIM could learn a few marketing ideas from this guy.

Features:
    Native Email*

*Native email is available to users with a compatible blackberry smartphone when paired using the blackberry bridge application. Carrier rates may apply and is subject to carrier approval.

I can see the packaging now!

and native email tbrough bridge
    Last edited by xandermac; 12-09-11 at 09:46 AM.
    12-09-11 09:34 AM
    We got a couple people in here that are downright disingenuous about what the playbook is and what it isn't. I think a lot of the hatred comes down to the lacking of basic features.
    12-09-11 09:35 AM
    In the end, those who complain about the PB not having this, or having that, or where are the egg laying invertebrate flying reptile games, etc forget that your smart phone, more often then not, has all these features; email, SMS texting, games, et al. The PB is just an extension of your BB phone, if you have one, and I find it redundant to have to duplicate what's on my phone on to the PB. For me, the PB as is, has all the apps I need, and then some. If I want to check my messages, that's where my smart phone comes in.

Bottom line, the haters, as evidenced by many admissions by these naysayers, no longer have or never had, a BB phone or PB.
    Well, I didn't buy my playbook to have to use a phone to take care of its shortcomings. And most people don't want something that is just an extension of their phone. But then you say its redundant to have duplicate functions? I think that just shows you're ignorant of what people want in a tablet - which is a wide range of desires including the ability to sms, email, play games etc.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-09-11 09:54 AM
256 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD