In the same respect all the haters on here can vote they hate it.
    They can, but they also don't feel like the vocal minority. So I would wager a lot won't...

Also it's less effective at getting <insert emotion here> across than posting so....
    12-08-11 05:02 PM
    RIMs consumer facing contacts and support are actually pretty terrible and useless... If you're a business contact it's a bit different.
    What are "haters" doing here in the first place? That is what I am most curious about. Maybe I'm from different generation then most of the members here. A tablet doesn't make a big impact on my life. If I don't like a product I return it.
    Mr.Monty, Snap51 and DPSydBerry like this.
    12-08-11 05:21 PM
    What are "haters" doing here in the first place? That is what I am most curious about. Maybe I'm from different generation then most of the members here. A tablet doesn't make a big impact on my life. If I don't like a product I return it.
    I don't know where you're from but it seems the USA has been turned into a society of entitlement and it's all about ME. So if ME doesn't get what ME wants then someone has to pay.
    Chaddface, joski and rockpig like this.
    12-08-11 05:25 PM
    I appreciate your enthusiasm SS but polls on this site should show positive results. Most people that don't like a product aren't interested in visiting a forum to complain.

It's odd that one would come here to complain about a choice THEY made. RIM didn't raise your taxes they made a tablet. I like my PB and that's why I frequent CB.
    The opposite is what occurs actually. I've posted up a thread about my PB continuing to perform beautifully just because people rarely post except when they're experiencing issues. Throw in the fact that QNX is an OS that can do things the competitors can't and you have a perfect storm of trolls exploiting the issues. What happened to my positive thread? It sucked trolls out of the woodwork and it got locked.

Polls do show that the vast majority of PB owners like their devices. The vast majority of posts aren't made by those owners however.
    Mr.Monty and jafobabe like this.
    12-08-11 05:40 PM
    You're making a flawed assumption...

Say for example positive PB users WANT to vote on the poll to throw the results in a positive direction and other users vote less in general.

Say for another example the poll fails to have an option that accurately fits how the user feels (this happens a lot). The result is often a no-vote for a lot of people.

Polls only represent whoever responds to them (and in ridiculously small sample sizes on here as well), which is a complete unknown...
    Enough polls have been conducted with more than enough different answer options to indicate a clear trend and the results of the polls have been strikingly consistant.

The polls are conducted using only forum membership so the sample size is more than adequate for the determining sentiment of forum users. The open polls are interesting.

It should also be noted that constructing useful polls is a tricky business.
    12-08-11 05:47 PM
    I think you are misinterpreting critical comments with hatred. The disdain occurs when people can no longer debate a topic and resort to childish name calling because their toy is no longer viewed as a flawless article.
    12-08-11 05:54 PM
    I think you are misinterpreting critical comments with hatred. The disdain occurs when people can no longer debate a topic and resort to childish name calling because their toy is no longer viewed as a flawless article.
    A lot of people take them the same way. If you say something critical (even if it's dead on) people want it removed from the forum. They simply only want to hear positive info. No idea why...

That said, the PB section of the forum has been flooded with worthless comments (almost at Storm levels) for a while now...
    12-08-11 05:57 PM

So, ignore the urge to get in a contest of wrestling with a pig in the mud, they like that.

Have bacon instead. It makes you happier.
    Can I just say I can't believe I'm the first person to quote this little tidbit. This made my day; I laughed my @$$ off. So insightful! So wise! I may add this to my repertoire of social advice.

To that end I would just like to spread a little CB love. I'm totally new Blackberry. my 9930 was my first blackberry after leaving dumb-phones. I've since acquired a playbook and love the thing. my experience with blackberry has been augmented by my membership here at Crackberry to an extent i can't articulate. Sure there's the trolls with an agenda to get a rise out of people; but i try to read the forums through rose-tinted glasses, so I can only see the positive stuff

You guys are awesome!!!
    12-08-11 06:12 PM
    A lot of people hate the Playbook because of the arrogance with which it was launched.

4 clueless words sum it up best: "Amateur Hour Is Over"

Those that believed that statement and those that bought into the idea that this was somehow a "Professional Grade" device, or even an equal player in the market (and who even derided more worthwhile options as crap) often did so with incredible levels of arrogance and blatant denial.

I think now that is is priced realistically, it may find a place in the market. It will never again be priced equal to market leading products, and until it is one, that's how it should be.

People!

How is it that the PlayBook has caused so much disagreement, so much insult, and so much hatred right here on these CrackBerry forums?

Once upon on a time, we came here to discuss about our devices. We got help, and shared help about how to do certain things on our BlackBerries. I for one, learned almost everything I know about BlackBerry phones right here in these forums.

We shared operating systems. Both carrier based and hybrid. It was an exciting time. We tried out new things, and shared our findings.

But not so anymore. Now we call each trolls, kids, juveniles......and other names that I can't even post here. We are not afraid to be banned for our posts, because we simply come back with a different user name.

As much as I love CrackBerry and all things BlackBerry, I am really surprised to see how low some are prepared to go.

Please, lets get back to a place of civility. These things are only devices to be used by us, not demons to control us.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-08-11 06:21 PM
    A lot of people hate the Playbook because of the arrogance with which it was launched.

Those that believed that statement and those that bought into the idea that this was somehow a "Professional Grade" device, or even an equal player in the market (and who even derided more worthwhile options as crap) often did so with incredible levels of arrogance and blatant denial.

I think now that is is priced realistically, it may find a place in the market. It will never again be priced equal to market leading products, and until it is one, that's how it should be.
    Those that draw conclusions from marketing terms have no business complaining about anything. Those that bought first day(like me) have no business complaining. Those that bought recently(with all the information available) have no business complaining.
    jafobabe and highos like this.
    12-08-11 06:41 PM
    Yep. The only problem is there are several other tablets that are also not selling and going on fire sales as well (and they have better app support across the board because of the platform they run). That and if they ever try to raise the PB prices back to normal, it simply does not compete with stuff like the Asus Prime, ipad2, etc... Between tablets that have just released and what will release in 2012 it won't compete on the high end with the existing hardware and ecosystem. It's impossible...
    12-08-11 06:43 PM

"Amateur hour" refers to the OS. BB10 is a dedicated tablet app not a puffed up phone one. There is plenty of room for improving the average consumer experience but already the PB OS surpasses the competition in many areas. The browser is the best. Hardware top notch. Bridge is excellent. UI the most advanced. The list goes on.

Perhaps that's is from where much of the strife originates: some see the power of the PB and some see the lack of angry birds. If an angry birds app is important to some (though some play the flash version and report that it is good), well, they have reason not to like the PB though why they would make a special trip here to complain about it is what puzzles me. I'd never consider going to a roid or ifad site to complain about bugginess or lack of web content.
    alnamvet68 and rockpig like this.
    12-08-11 06:47 PM
    "Amateur hour" refers to the OS. BB10 is a dedicated tablet app not a puffed up phone one. There is plenty of room for improving the average consumer experience but already the PB OS surpasses the competition in many areas. The browser is the best. Hardware top notch. Bridge is excellent. UI the most advanced. The list goes on.
    The browser is not the best because it's not hard to reproduce browser crashes right now and the javascript processing is still significantly slower than other browsers available... Also it lacks customizable organization and other UI features. It's a good browser, but not the best.... Also the flash player updates lag behind other platforms because of how it's integrated into the OS instead of being a stand alone plugin install.

UI is not the most advanced if you consider customization part of that advancement, because it's one of the least customizable UIs still...
    FF22 and Lhendr like this.
    12-08-11 06:52 PM
    Yep. The only problem is there are several other tablets that are also not selling and going on fire sales as well (and they have better app support across the board because of the platform they run). That and if they ever try to raise the PB prices back to normal, it simply does not compete with stuff like the Asus Prime, ipad2, etc... Between tablets that have just released and what will release in 2012 it won't compete on the high end with the existing hardware and ecosystem. It's impossible...
    Most on this forum would disagree with your assertion that the PB can't compete. I bought my PB because it offers what the competition can't or doesn't offer and never will. The hardware is top notch and QNX exploits it beautifully.

Love my PB.
    12-08-11 06:57 PM
    Most on this forum would disagree with your assertion that the PB can't compete. I bought my PB because it offers what the competition can't or doesn't offer and never will. The hardware is top notch and QNX exploits it beautifully.

Love my PB.
    Yeah it competes in areas that others do not (such as bridge integration with BB platforms). However BB marketshare is declining in the US, which means that targetable market is shrinking as well. So that means the targeted market for anyone buying for that reason is more effective in countries where BB marketshare isn't shrinking.
    12-08-11 07:05 PM
    The browser is not the best because it's not hard to reproduce browser crashes right now and the javascript processing is still significantly slower than other browsers available... Also it lacks customizable organization and other UI features. It's a good browser, but not the best.... Also the flash player updates lag behind other platforms because of how it's integrated into the OS instead of being a stand alone plugin install.

UI is not the most advanced if you consider customization part of that advancement, because it's one of the least customizable UIs still...

This is where the strife begins. The PB renders flash wonderfully and the browser experience is excellent for me and most would agree. My browser rarely crashes. The slickness of the OS compared to those offered by others makes "customizable" organization a very minor point. Haven't lost a single thing on the PB yet and can find everything immediately so I could care less about that complaint.

Remember, this is a PB forum.
    12-08-11 07:12 PM
    This is where the strife begins. The PB renders flash wonderfully and the browser experience is excellent for me and most would agree. My browser rarely crashes.
    I can consistently crash the browser... Not randomly, consistently. Other browsers have flash AND the ability to make flash content toggle-able + ad blockers and you can organize the bookmarks.

PB browser currently offers none of that... These points aren't a debate (other than the one point if you want to believe the browser doesn't crash), they are currently facts.
    12-08-11 07:15 PM
    Enough polls have been conducted with more than enough different answer options to indicate a clear trend and the results of the polls have been strikingly consistant.

The polls are conducted using only forum membership so the sample size is more than adequate for the determining sentiment of forum users. The open polls are interesting.

It should also be noted that constructing useful polls is a tricky business.
    Yes, polls never ever ever lie They are consistent. The third one linked below is actually a useful poll.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...riends-664579/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-redux-671232/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...stolen-666680/
    12-08-11 07:18 PM
    Its called lack of maturity. its as though you better like what I like, or hate what I hate or your a "numpskull" .....I'm just saying......this is what I see and read. When I first joined in 09' it was not like this, information was prudent on all levels and expressed in a positive way. Its time to clean up CRACKBERRY boys and girls, Men and Women.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-08-11 07:26 PM
    I can consistently crash the browser... Not randomly, consistently. Other browsers have flash AND the ability to make flash content toggle-able + ad blockers and you can organize the bookmarks.

PB browser currently offers none of that... These points aren't a debate (other than the one point if you want to believe the browser doesn't crash), they are currently facts.
    you can toggle PB flash
    12-08-11 07:30 PM
    Most on this forum would disagree with your assertion that the PB can't compete.
    The few hundred people on this Playbook forum may disagree with the assertion that the Playbook can't compete. But the truth is, it is only a few hundred people RIM barely sold 150,000 Playbooks in Q3 even at the firesale prices. And even at those prices it couldn't even compete with the crippled android version of itself, that is the Fire. It's just a few hundred of people who decided to stay with the company whose shares plummeted over the last year or so. Sorry but what else can you say?

All this talk about how cool QNX is because it runs nuclear power stations just sounds non-sense. Especially, given it was rooted twice within a week. As much as the talks about how cool Bridging is because Bridging is the major reason why the Playbook is failing big time in the first place.

In the meantime let us enjoy our Playbooks. Don't know how long of that enjoyment we have left as the Playbook will most probably be discontinued soon, if not already.
    Last edited by jonqdoe; 12-08-11 at 07:40 PM.
    12-08-11 07:34 PM
    I just cant fathom why people cant be happy with what they have. Or if not happy with a device, then return it in time and make another purchase. Must be to hard to do......

I cant tell you how many times I have had to take something back. I also cant remember the last time I jumped on a forum to rant aboutt how crappy something was.

Sent from I am on Fire!
    12-08-11 07:34 PM
    My browser would crash at random times on 1.7 while browsing over bridge with the wifi browser. Since I installed the dev beta with the same habbits it has crashed once.
    12-08-11 07:35 PM
    The few hundred people on this Playbook forum may disagree with the assertion that the Playbook can't compete. But the truth is, it is only a few hundred people RIM barely sold 150,000 Playbooks even at the firesale prices. And even at those prices it couldn't even compete with the crippled android version of itself, that is the Fire. It's just a few hundred of people who decided to stay with the company whose shares plummeted over the last year or so. Sorry but what else can you say?

All this talk about how cool QNX is because it runs nuclear power stations just sounds non-sense. Especially, given it was rooted twice within a week. As much as the talks about how cool Bridging is because Bridging is the major reason why the Playbook is failing big time.

In the meantime let us enjoy our Playbooks. Don't know how long of that enjoyment we have left as the Playbook will most probably be discontinued soon, if not already.
    I believe the QNX that runs nuclear power plants is much different than the QNX that runs the playbook, I doubt the power plant QNX has a samba server in it but I could be wrong. Bridge is one of the best parts of the playbook for being able to use my data plan with no extra charge. Yes you can do that with others and work arounds.

Unless RIM does go under it doesn't matter if this version is discontinued as it will still be updated.

But yes enjoy.
    12-08-11 07:40 PM
    I believe the QNX that runs nuclear power plants is much different than the QNX that runs the playbook, I doubt the power plant QNX has a samba server in it but I could be wrong. Bridge is one of the best parts of the playbook for being able to use my data plan with no extra charge. Yes you can do that with others and work arounds.

Unless RIM does go under it doesn't matter if this version is discontinued as it will still be updated.

But yes enjoy.
    Agree with you, but somehow, the fact that QNX runs power plants is the most often used argument here on this forum

As for the Bridge, it may be a great feature but it severely restricts the enjoyment of the usefulness and somewhat full functionality of the Playbook to current owners of Blackberry phones. This is what I meant.
    12-08-11 07:44 PM
256 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD