People!

How is it that the PlayBook has caused so much disagreement, so much insult, and so much hatred right here on these CrackBerry forums?

Once upon on a time, we came here to discuss about our devices. We got help, and shared help about how to do certain things on our BlackBerries. I for one, learned almost everything I know about BlackBerry phones right here in these forums.

We shared operating systems. Both carrier based and hybrid. It was an exciting time. We tried out new things, and shared our findings.

But not so anymore. Now we call each trolls, kids, juveniles......and other names that I can't even post here. We are not afraid to be banned for our posts, because we simply come back with a different user name.

As much as I love CrackBerry and all things BlackBerry, I am really surprised to see how low some are prepared to go.

Please, lets get back to a place of civility. These things are only devices to be used by us, not demons to control us.
    12-08-11 02:25 PM
    I noticed in your sig you wrote returned playbook? Why did you return it? Not trying to start anything, just genuinely curious.
    12-08-11 02:28 PM
    I noticed in your sig you wrote returned playbook? Why did you return it? Not trying to start anything, just genuinely curious.
    I bought my PB on launch day. First person to buy it out of my local Best Buy. But I soon realized that it did not meet my expectations (and yes, I had done all my homework prior to buying it). So I returned it within the 14 day window.

I have stayed in these forums, because I am still hoping that one day the software will be upgraded to where it will meet my needs.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    12-08-11 02:31 PM
    I bought my PB on launch day. First person to buy it out of my local Best Buy. But I soon realized that it did not meet my expectations (and yes, I had done all my homework prior to buying it). So I returned it within the 14 day window.

I have stayed in these forums, because I am still hoping that one day the software will be upgraded to where it will meet my needs.
    Oh okay. Yeah I agree it's not for everyone. And it definitely can use some improvement. I'm definitely enjoying mine, but I hope they can make it better soon!

I agree about the hatred from the playbook. But I just joined here, but on other forums, it seemed to start all out wars. But of course there are always fanboys who will come in and say things suck, or just enjoy getting people all worked up for kicks.
    12-08-11 02:39 PM
    It's our own fault (more or less) because we keep on reacting on the negatives.

CB must consider to make an "I don't like playbook" forum so the mods can move all negativity to that forum. (or an "Compare apples with prunes" forum)
    12-08-11 02:48 PM
    People!

How is it that the PlayBook has caused so much disagreement, so much insult, and so much hatred right here on these CrackBerry forums?

Once upon on a time, we came here to discuss about our devices. We got help, and shared help about how to do certain things on our BlackBerries. I for one, learned almost everything I know about BlackBerry phones right here in these forums.

We shared operating systems. Both carrier based and hybrid. It was an exciting time. We tried out new things, and shared our findings.

But not so anymore. Now we call each trolls, kids, juveniles......and other names that I can't even post here. We are not afraid to be banned for our posts, because we simply come back with a different user name.

As much as I love CrackBerry and all things BlackBerry, I am really surprised to see how low some are prepared to go.

Please, lets get back to a place of civility. These things are only devices to be used by us, not demons to control us.

You think this site is bad? You should see all of the trolls on BGR. You can't read the comments on a RIM article on iBGR without seeing Apple and Android fanboys talking smack... pretty pathetic if you ask me.
    12-08-11 02:51 PM
    Whether it is a marked decline of civility of members, people seeking an inordinate amount of attention, or even paid trolls, we can help by not quoting them, fighting with them, or taking the bait.

The Report Box is there for that reason. The only thing necessary for trouble to spread is for good members to stand by and do nothing, to paraphrase a classic quote.

The PlayBook is a work in progress, utilizing a new system that hasn't been grown from an existing framework people are familiar with. It isn't the alpha-omega of app-ville.

Some people want it all and want it right now. PlayBook doesn't have it all, yet. Microwaves are too slow for some of them. You cannot drown out the incessant shrieks, as the wailers increase volume and frequency if you challenge them to grow up.

So, ignore the urge to get in a contest of wrestling with a pig in the mud, they like that.

Have bacon instead. It makes you happier.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 12-08-11 at 03:04 PM.
    RAG78, bayotte, Willard814 and 5 others like this.
    12-08-11 02:53 PM

CB must consider to make an "I don't like playbook" forum so the mods can move all negativity to that forum. (or an "Compare apples with prunes" forum)
    Really, something similar was done with the Storm Rants and Raves. It was a fiasco. The problem with troublemakers is they don't always play within boundaries. If you condone bad behavior, it will only breed and grow out of control.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-08-11 03:00 PM
    Was there a storm rant and rave section? That would be great. Playbook rant and rave. I can think of a few threads that should go there.
    I enjoy helping others with less knowledge and learning from others with more. It's gotten a bit nutty around these parts and the hatered in those threads seem to bleed over into simple question and answer threads.
    12-08-11 03:26 PM
    I think its the same situation on almost all technology forums. As a matter of fact, I've seen the same types of posts (Why the hate?) on macrumors.com and androidcentral.

Just try to ignore the obviously nasty posts.
    12-08-11 03:41 PM
    2 reasons:

1. unhappy users want a place to rant and be heard
    2. fanboys unwilling to accept criticism and try to defend the products

notice the spike in "unhappy users" as of late? compared to the days of the 9700. RIM is losing it. I love my blackberry, albeit a lot less than before. And I blame the management at RIM. in fact, I hate them with a vengeance.
    semicoln and FF22 like this.
    12-08-11 03:54 PM
    I think it's because there is no autosuggest except in word to go.
    spatialmongrel likes this.
    12-08-11 04:03 PM
    2 reasons:

notice the spike in "unhappy users" as of late? compared to the days of the 9700. RIM is losing it. I love my blackberry, albeit a lot less than before. And I blame the management at RIM. in fact, I hate them with a vengeance.
    Multiple polls have shown that a large majority of forum users rate their PB positively. What becomes apparent from the poll results is that the negative types post in amounts that are disproportionate to their numbers.
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-08-11 04:07 PM
    It's aggravating to see so many threads turn into a flame war; filled with personal insults and Salem "troll" hunts. What starts as a simple question turns into which device was constructed by angels (none were, btw. Don't believe what you read ) and how the OP should have bought *some other device* to solve his/her problems.

I think this could be solved by fanboys staying in their proper forum, or those that despise a certain product to stay out. I guess the old expression of "If you don't have something nice to say..." could go a long way here. Unfortunately there are folks here who get their hourly dose of attention through this site and the solution is to not give it to them.
    12-08-11 04:23 PM

That would be great.
    12-08-11 04:26 PM
    Yes, one comes to a forum to enjoy the company, expertise, and experience of like minded folks, only to find an overwhelming presence of agitators, anti-RIN/BB/PB,QNX/OS, etc, ad nauseum. It's very easy for one to fall prey to some of these well disguised troll traps, and have those very same trolls press that "Mommy" report button when they are losing their hate filled rhetorical arguements.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, this is the very first enthusiast forum I have ever seen where the enthusiasts are in the minority.
    12-08-11 04:37 PM
    Multiple polls have shown that a large majority of forum users rate their PB positively. What becomes apparent from the poll results is that the negative types post in amounts that are disproportionate to their numbers.
    I appreciate your enthusiasm SS but polls on this site should show positive results. Most people that don't like a product aren't interested in visiting a forum to complain.

It's odd that one would come here to complain about a choice THEY made. RIM didn't raise your taxes they made a tablet. I like my PB and that's why I frequent CB.
    Lhendr likes this.
    12-08-11 04:40 PM
    2 reasons:

I think this is what the OP was talking about.
    12-08-11 04:46 PM
    You're making a flawed assumption...

Say for example positive PB users WANT to vote on the poll to throw the results in a positive direction and other users vote less in general.

Say for another example the poll fails to have an option that accurately fits how the user feels (this happens a lot). The result is often a no-vote for a lot of people.

Polls only represent whoever responds to them (and in ridiculously small sample sizes on here as well), which is a complete unknown...
    12-08-11 04:47 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, this is the very first enthusiast forum I have ever seen where the enthusiasts are in the minority.
    Hear, hear!
    12-08-11 04:55 PM
    2 reasons:

1. Return it and buy something you like. Call RIM and complain to them.
    2. Not an issue anymore.
    12-08-11 04:55 PM
    There is offcourse the problem how some posters phrase their contempt or liking or complains while posting. The lack of chosen and proper words can really stir the pot.
    For obvious reasons when people come to CB and complain about the playbook, and just goes on a rant, and sometimes this is also the persons first post, it just triggers bad reaction from some.
    If only the same rant was put a bit mildly the outcomes can sometimes be a bit different.

At the end of the day, there are some who will come here on the CB to instigate a flame war, make an inflamtory post and then vanish off creating a total chaos. And sometimes things are taken out of context for no obvious reasons and get blown out of proportions.

Is there a solution to this, maybe when both sides decide to turn down, but thats never possible. As some of us think that feeding the fire makes the flame go higher, but no matter how much a few of us so restrain there will always be someone to keep adding those drops of jet fuel... a few drops can go a long way.

Nevertheless, I have been here on CB (not counting the many years when I hadnt signed into the forums officially) for a few months, some threads have infuriated me and I have spoken my mind, and in some I have just walked away.

But at the end of the day, my goal is to learn from others and help anyone who comes at CB with playbook questions to the fullest..... and I do that everyday.
    Last edited by anindoc; 12-08-11 at 05:00 PM.
    Lhendr and black hole like this.
    12-08-11 04:57 PM
    1. Return it and buy something you like. Call RIM and complain to them.
    RIMs consumer facing contacts and support are actually pretty terrible and useless... If you're a business contact it's a bit different.
    12-08-11 04:58 PM
    You're making a flawed assumption...

Say for example positive PB users WANT to vote on the poll to throw the results in a positive direction and other users vote less in general.

Say for another example the poll fails to have an option that accurately fits how the user feels (this happens a lot). The result is often a no-vote for a lot of people.

Polls only represent whoever responds to them (and in ridiculously small sample sizes on here as well), which is a complete unknown...
    In the same respect all the haters on here can vote they hate it.
    12-08-11 04:58 PM
    Yes, one comes to a forum to enjoy the company, expertise, and experience of like minded folks, only to find an overwhelming presence of agitators, anti-RIN/BB/PB,QNX/OS, etc, ad nauseum. It's very easy for one to fall prey to some of these well disguised troll traps, and have those very same trolls press that "Mommy" report button when they are losing their hate filled rhetorical arguements.

I tend to think they are the silent majority.
    Mr.Monty and jafobabe like this.
    12-08-11 04:59 PM
256 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD