You guys need to remember that Google bought Motorola. That means one certain brand will be getting all the bells and whistles while the others wait. Who will want a Samsung or HTC when Motorola will have all the options first? This is why Samsung is working on their own OS and others trying out Windows. There's no doubt in my mind at least one top mobile brand would bring out a QNX line to try out if it were possible.
    12-20-11 09:51 PM
    You guys need to remember that Google bought Motorola. That means one certain brand will be getting all the bells and whistles while the others wait. Who will want a Samsung or HTC when Motorola will have all the options first? This is why Samsung is working on their own OS and others trying out Windows. There's no doubt in my mind at least one top mobile brand would bring out a QNX line to try out if it were possible.
    That is not how Google works. They bought MM for one reason. Patents.

Even if Google decided, uncharacteristically, to give only MM the golden panties, Samsung and HTC will continue to use the free OS. they cannot afford to have hurt feelings; they will use the OS that makes them money Android makes them money... so much so that they are willing to pay MS fees to keep using it. Android is the only OS that has the ecosystem that allows companies to have a chance at competing with Apple.

Google does not play favorites. I believe Moto will stay independent. Google couldn't care less about how MM is run. They need patents.

If Samsung and HTC figure out that another OS makes them more money, they will move on. For now, they need Android and (more importantly) the Android/Google ecosystem.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-20-11 10:05 PM
    Never mind licensing the OS what RIM needs to do is sign up top tier software companies to provide exclusive games and apps for the PB. EA is a good example of what can be achieved on the playbook in terms of great graphics and control (Dead Space). I feel RIM will have to bite the bullet and lower or completely remove developer fees in the short term in order to entice the better software companies to develop for RIM. This way they can focus on the hardware side of the business until they achieve a competitive market share of the tablet market.
    12-21-11 02:15 AM
    lets try to get back on topic.
    12-21-11 04:37 AM
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic?

It's well known that Microsoft paid Nokia a large sum of money to choose WP7 over Android. And it's also known that Google gives their OS to manufacturers for free.

The business model of licensing a mobile OS as a source of revenue is not a business model that currently exists in the market. No one would pay RIM (or anyone else) a penny.

I apologize if I missed the sarcasm in your post.
    You are wrong.Nokia will pay Microsoft royalties for using it's OS.In return Microsoft will support the partnership with huge add dollars.You can check the conference calls of Nokiato verify this.
    12-21-11 05:20 AM
    Take a look at the QNX website for some interesting technical info about how the OS actually operates. QNX Neutrino RTOS It has huge potential. I'm not a fan of the BB phone OS at this point, except for the security features available. I've listened to the earnings calls these past few quarters and have read almost anything I can about the company and this new OS. I really think they are underestimated. To license it now would be useless, they have said themselves that the tablet market is in its infancy, which really cannot be denied. Perfecting the system and releasing a breakthrough phone with an OS that nobody can match, sounds worth the wait to me. I will be able to ditch my LG Android phone I had to put a custom rom on to make it usable.
    12-21-11 05:23 AM
    That is not how Google works. They bought MM for one reason. Patents.

Even if Google decided, uncharacteristically, to give only MM the golden panties, Samsung and HTC will continue to use the free OS. they cannot afford to have hurt feelings; they will use the OS that makes them money Android makes them money... so much so that they are willing to pay MS fees to keep using it. Android is the only OS that has the ecosystem that allows companies to have a chance at competing with Apple.

Google does not play favorites. I believe Moto will stay independent. Google couldn't care less about how MM is run. They need patents.

If Samsung and HTC figure out that another OS makes them more money, they will move on. For now, they need Android and (more importantly) the Android/Google ecosystem.
    Not exactly. Early reports shows Motorola were ready to close much of it's design centers for phones and tablets. Employees were offered a job in the Google design center. This only means Google is going to design (or at least have a big influence) how future hardware looks. It runs much deeper than just patents. Google could have bought those patents outright without buying a company with a lot of overhead and employees.

I fully agree they need Android. But they also have to be diverse in any and every market they're in.
    12-21-11 07:01 AM
    You are wrong.Nokia will pay Microsoft royalties for using it's OS.In return Microsoft will support the partnership with huge add dollars.You can check the conference calls of Nokiato verify this.
    Microsoft disagrees with you. From their own press release on the matter (also echoed in their filings) I quote:

"3. In recognition of the unique nature of Nokia’s agreement with Microsoft and the contributions that Nokia is providing, Nokia will receive payments measured in the billions of dollars."

Nokia and Microsoft Sign Definitive Agreement Ahead of Schedule: Key contributions to new global mobile ecosystem agreed and significant progress made on engineering of new products.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-21-11 at 07:45 AM.
    12-21-11 07:43 AM
    Microsoft disagrees with you. From their own press release on the matter (also echoed in their filings) I quote:

"3. In recognition of the unique nature of Nokia�s agreement with Microsoft and the contributions that Nokia is providing, Nokia will receive payments measured in the billions of dollars."

Nokia and Microsoft Sign Definitive Agreement Ahead of Schedule: Key contributions to new global mobile ecosystem agreed and significant progress made on engineering of new products.
    2. Microsoft will receive a running royalty from Nokia for the Windows Phone platform, starting when the first Nokia products incorporating Windows Phone ship. The royalty payments are competitive and reflect the large volumes that Nokia expects to ship, as well as a variety of other considerations related to engineering work to which both companies are committed. Microsoft delivering the Windows Phone platform to Nokia will enable Nokia to significantly reduce operating expenses.

3. In recognition of the unique nature of Nokia�s agreement with Microsoft and the contributions that Nokia is providing, Nokia will receive payments measured in the billions of dollars.

4. An agreement that recognizes the value of intellectual property and puts in place mechanisms for exchanging rights to intellectual property. Nokia will receive substantial payments under the agreement.

Nokia will pay royalty.microsoft will pay Nokia One time payment ... that's what I make out of it.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    12-21-11 07:52 AM
    Take a look at the QNX website for some interesting technical info about how the OS actually operates. QNX Neutrino RTOS It has huge potential. I'm not a fan of the BB phone OS at this point, except for the security features available. I've listened to the earnings calls these past few quarters and have read almost anything I can about the company and this new OS. I really think they are underestimated. To license it now would be useless, they have said themselves that the tablet market is in its infancy, which really cannot be denied. Perfecting the system and releasing a breakthrough phone with an OS that nobody can match, sounds worth the wait to me. I will be able to ditch my LG Android phone I had to put a custom rom on to make it usable.

If QNX dies a sad death thank Lazaridis for it.RIM case will a perfect case study at Harvard MBA, how EGO can destroy a company.
    12-21-11 07:55 AM
    RIM would not pay $$ to another manufacturer to have them use QNX, they would collect license fees from the manufacturer. It would be a source of revenue, not a cost to RIM.
    Reports suggest RIM is already trying this. Why isn't anyone licensing QNX/BB OS 10 yet? Are there potential licensees being rumored?
    12-21-11 12:02 PM
    Reports suggest RIM is already trying this. Why isn't anyone licensing QNX/BB OS 10 yet? Are there potential licensees being rumored?
    its already been answered. why would anyone WANT to license it? how would it benefit anyone else really? any reasons why they should choose QNX/BB10 over WP7 or android?
    12-21-11 12:06 PM
    RIM has tried licensing it to others but no one wants it. Why should they now, when WebOS is open source. Most everything the UI created by RIM on top of QNX does, WebOS does it better, except for the brilliant 'Showcase' mode and the ability to load Android apps.

I have both a touchpad and playbook and WebOS in the Touchpad is miles ahead in maturity of the cards system than the QNX OS in playbook.

The 'Showcase' mode, Android apps, ability to play flash smoothly are the only reason why I have stuck to the playbook so far.

I think compared to other OS, only the showcase mode is the standout feature. Once Android OS gets a showcase mode the appeal will drop dramatically for me.

As impressive as showcase mode is though, it's still quite buggy, making it very hard to open a browser when video is playing or keeping more than three apps open, and when you have both Android app player and video player running the touchscreen sensitivity goes way down and you have to hit 5 times to make one click register.

So, in short the GUI is not that appealing for anyone to want to license it save for some features which sooner or later will come to other OSs.

When Windows 8 comes along it's game over.
    12-21-11 12:24 PM
    Nokia will pay royalty.microsoft will pay Nokia One time payment ... that's what I make out of it.
    so how many phones would Nokia need to sell for Microsoft to actually make money on this deal?
    12-21-11 12:33 PM
    If QNX dies a sad death thank Lazaridis for it.RIM case will a perfect case study at Harvard MBA, how EGO can destroy a company.
    This is always a possibility. There is potential to go either way; I'd consider doing some of my future MBA and PhD studies on the subject. It will be very interesting to see what happens in the next year. My main point was that it is a very unique OS, how well it is implemented to the phones? We'll have to wait and see. I did use a playbook for about a week from a friend, it is quite nice. Yes, lacking some key features at this point. However, it is not a bad OS by any means.

I doubt QNX for all of the other hardware they power will completely die, it is essential in many other devices that many people are unaware of. It's quite possibly running on the hardware in your car.
    12-21-11 04:02 PM
    Looks like Barbara Stymiest read my post!

RIM reportedly agrees to license BlackBerry software to Samsung, HTC

I think these kinds of alliances could be what is required to "jump start" the ecosystem despite giving up some apparent competitive advantage.

Samsung and HTC may be looking for alternatives to Android that will allow them to create compelling devices to compete with Apple.

What’s Wrong with Android?
    01-06-12 10:59 AM
    Long ago (~2002) QNX was available on a mobile device. It was not the factory installed OS but it was easily available. Check out QNX iPAQ Hardware Requirements and eQip: QNX on Pocket/Personal Devices
    01-07-12 05:36 PM
    RIM has tried licensing it to others but no one wants it. Why should they now, when WebOS is open source. Most everything the UI created by RIM on top of QNX does, WebOS does it better, except for the brilliant 'Showcase' mode and the ability to load Android apps.

I have both a touchpad and playbook and WebOS in the Touchpad is miles ahead in maturity of the cards system than the QNX OS in playbook.

The 'Showcase' mode, Android apps, ability to play flash smoothly are the only reason why I have stuck to the playbook so far.

I think compared to other OS, only the showcase mode is the standout feature. Once Android OS gets a showcase mode the appeal will drop dramatically for me.

As impressive as showcase mode is though, it's still quite buggy, making it very hard to open a browser when video is playing or keeping more than three apps open, and when you have both Android app player and video player running the touchscreen sensitivity goes way down and you have to hit 5 times to make one click register.

So, in short the GUI is not that appealing for anyone to want to license it save for some features which sooner or later will come to other OSs.

When Windows 8 comes along it's game over.
    What is this showcase mode your talking about?

James
    01-07-12 06:23 PM
    What is this showcase mode your talking about?
    Look in the Settings, on the General page, under Application Behaviour. There are three options.

The Default effectively freezes all apps except the one that is fullscreen or, if none are, the last one that was fullscreen.

Paused freezes all apps that aren't fullscreen.

Showcase never freezes any apps, except when you enter Standby (where this Application Behaviour setting is not used, and all apps are frozen).

Individual applications can override how they behave regardless of the above settings, though relatively few developers have chosen to use that feature yet (in fact, probably most still aren't even aware of it).
    Flexin likes this.
    01-07-12 07:20 PM
    Look in the Settings, on the General page, under Application Behaviour. There are three options.

The Default effectively freezes all apps except the one that is fullscreen or, if none are, the last one that was fullscreen.

Paused freezes all apps that aren't fullscreen.

Showcase never freezes any apps, except when you enter Standby (where this Application Behaviour setting is not used, and all apps are frozen).

Individual applications can override how they behave regardless of the above settings, though relatively few developers have chosen to use that feature yet (in fact, probably most still aren't even aware of it).
    Ok thanks. I did notice that in there before but never really tried it or thought much about it.

James
    01-07-12 07:39 PM
    Look in the Settings, on the General page, under Application Behaviour. There are three options. ...

I am one of the unaware. Can you point me to some docs in case I need to make use of this feature?
    01-07-12 07:45 PM
    BuzzStarField, you must have missed my reply with that info in the other thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7005890

Cheers.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    01-07-12 10:10 PM
    BuzzStarField, you must have missed my reply with that info in the other thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7005890

Cheers.
    I did indeed miss it or more likely I read it and forgot to tuck it away in non-volatile memory. The human brain (at least my human brain) sucks at multitasking. Thanks.
    01-07-12 11:29 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD