Since it is quite evident that RIM is losing a lot of ground in the technology world, why don't they release small updates/groundbreaking apps for the Playbook a little at a time. They are instead saving them for V2.0.

It was nice when they were releasing them about a month apart. Why do they still have Skype in their App World advertisements? and the Astonishing Tribe Apps had better be in V2.0

Sorry about my rant
    09-23-11 01:17 PM
    While I agree, I think they are holding out to release it all in one big release so as to be able to do a "relaunch" of the playbook from a marketing stand point.
    09-23-11 01:40 PM
    I agree - a few small morsels between now and WHENever and WHATever IFever would be nice. Autotext/correction would make some of the unruly masses yearning to type-free a bit happier.

But why would we expect the tiger to change its faded stripes now.
    09-23-11 02:40 PM
    I'm guessing 2.0 is going to be a HUGE update and requires more changes then just tweaking 1.0.

Personally, the only update for 1.0 I can see is for small things in the background that is to prep for 2.0.

This assumption is based on the latest Bridge update and the new layout of the bridged email.
    09-23-11 03:07 PM
    Anyone else love the irony of laidbackguy posting a rant... j/k

Software isn't like Legos where you just snap another block on. There is a lot of interoperability that needs to remain intact.
    awattwell likes this.
    09-23-11 03:19 PM
    The RIM CEO gave their plan during the conference calls at time of the last quarterly reports.

RIM will issue a major OS2 upgrade at some time after the October DEVCON.
    RIM is doing a sale price promotion through the Fall selling season.
    At some time, when RIM issues the OS2, they will likely have promotion called something like a 'Playbook Relaunch'. At the same time they will likely announce release of their companion QNX phones.

It seems that they are attacking their lacking PB sales with an OS and price point push.
    09-23-11 05:11 PM
    why don't they release small updates/groundbreaking apps for the Playbook a little at a time.
    Regarding apps... I think RIM only writes the core apps, and these things take months to develop. The hope would have been that 3rd parties would churn out apps to fill the voids (NDK late release, and app-world approvals aside). The android player should help here.

Regarding OS updates.. sure, they could keep putting out monthly updates, which are mainly bugfixing exercises, but they would be released at the expense of the major updates.
    09-23-11 09:39 PM
    Lets see os 2.0 lives up to the hype.
    09-23-11 10:01 PM
    Lets see os 2.0 lives up to the hype.
    The longer it takes them to deliver the more I will expect from it. I'm not sure they can even deliver on what they promised so far, much less more.
    09-23-11 10:10 PM
    I definitely felt like one of Pavlov's dogs last week. For the first time since launch, we got a bridge update without being immediately followed by a PB update.
    09-23-11 10:29 PM
    RIM will issue a major OS2 upgrade at some time after the October DEVCON.
    I just only remember when I attend a meeting with of our biggest project in Dubai, and the project is already delayed by 2 months and the Project Manager is asking one of the Project Engineer of when the needed materials are going to be delivered, he said, exactly the same statement at some time after this month... he was fired rigth after that...

The point is, at some time after is not acceptable in Project Management... it has to be specific... a measureable... afterall, how can you manage something that is not measurable?... so, with RIM's statement, it only denote that even them are clueless of the situation... simply, they are not in control...

So, why RIM does not release the OS upgrade as they used to be? because they are not in control of the situation... and nobody care... since PlayBook, the product, is great... perfect... and the best tablet in the wholewide universe... no need to improve... that's what they are getting from majority feedback...
    09-23-11 10:49 PM
    The longer it takes them to deliver the more I will expect from it. I'm not sure they can even deliver on what they promised so far, much less more.
    Same here will be disappointed they dont include some good stuff.
    09-24-11 03:17 AM
    I just only remember when I attend a meeting with of our biggest project in Dubai, and the project is already delayed by 2 months and the Project Manager is asking one of the Project Engineer of when the needed materials are going to be delivered, he said, exactly the same statement at some time after this month... he was fired rigth after that...

The point is, at some time after is not acceptable in Project Management... it has to be specific... a measureable... afterall, how can you manage something that is not measurable?... so, with RIM's statement, it only denote that even them are clueless of the situation... simply, they are not in control...

So, why RIM does not release the OS upgrade as they used to be? because they are not in control of the situation... and nobody care... since PlayBook, the product, is great... perfect... and the best tablet in the wholewide universe... no need to improve... that's what they are getting from majority feedback...
    not having a specific date is indeed terrible, but if they hadn't received terrible feedbacks I bet 2.0 wouldn't have been conceived... let's just hope that 2.0 development is proceeding well.. I think it's time for cb to go visit waterloo again
    Mr.Softberry likes this.
    09-24-11 03:53 AM
    not having a specific date is indeed terrible, but if they hadn't received terrible feedbacks I bet 2.0 wouldn't have been conceived... let's just hope that 2.0 development is proceeding well.. I think it's time for cb to go visit waterloo again
    I suspect that what has happened is that the incremental updates have not been well received by the public with people only picking on what isn't in those updates and so they have scrapped that approach for now leading to the main update that will include android player, native email etc.
    09-24-11 04:29 AM
    I hate to disappoint but I do not think that RIM is working on anything for the PB right now and has all if it efforts in a QNX phone.
    anon(2692400) likes this.
    09-24-11 06:47 AM
    Trolls squabbling and off topic trash. 12 posts removed... keep it on topic or face the risk of a timeout.
    09-24-11 07:20 AM
    It's because they are working on a huge update NOW.
    The hardware will be fine for years, let's wait and see what they can get out of it!
    09-24-11 07:29 AM
    Because they don't want to get on these forums & see 100 threads about what a useless update that was

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-11 05:37 AM
    Its just on a month now from the previous update, something might still come out, maybe tuesday? Who knows...

09-25-11 05:42 AM
    Since it is quite evident that RIM is losing a lot of ground in the technology world, why don't they release small updates/groundbreaking apps for the Playbook a little at a time. They are instead saving them for V2.0.

Sorry about my rant
    I think that V2.0 is such a major upgrade that they can't release it in small upgrades. My son and I both own Playbooks and are anxious for the upgrade. My son was fortunate to have a "play" with a Playbook with a V2 Beta on it and he was very impressed with it. Since they are still in the Beta cycle I don't see a release in the next few weeks.

I think in the next 60 days we will see something which will make us happy. I don't mind waiting.
    09-25-11 05:59 AM
    I think that V2.0 is such a major upgrade that they can't release it in small upgrades. My son and I both own Playbooks and are anxious for the upgrade. My son was fortunate to have a "play" with a Playbook with a V2 Beta on it and he was very impressed with it. Since they are still in the Beta cycle I don't see a release in the next few weeks.

I think in the next 60 days we will see something which will make us happy. I don't mind waiting.
    The words '60 days' makes me shiver...

09-25-11 06:06 AM
    I think "after DevCon" was vague enough already. RIM has already lost credibility regarding its ability to deliver. Only hardcore BB supporters like us still believe in them. In my opinion, if they don't deliver a major update that includes native email and the Android player within two weeks of DevCon, even the believers will lose faith.
    09-25-11 06:59 AM
    I'll lose faith when they announce that they are done with the playbook and will no longer support it. Then my next purchase would be something other then a RIM product. But for now I'll wait and enjoy what I do have.
    09-25-11 07:05 AM
    RIM wont release small updates because they dont care about their existing Playbook customers. They think by doing a huge overhaul in the OS and releasing it all at once is the right thing to do as it will attract new customers. Kinda of crappy since we have all been using the Playbook "as is". RIM should care more about us and the Playbook and work harder getting it where it needs to be. I personally dont want to wait for the "2.0", I want weekly updates instead. Lets say 2.0 is more flawed that 1.0, what do we do then? Wait for 3.0? lol please god no. I prefer weekly updates so if something doesn't work right then a quick update the following week will take care of it. So on and so on until we have a full featured and bug free os.
    Last edited by mypb16; 09-25-11 at 07:30 AM.
    09-25-11 07:20 AM
    RIM wont release small updates because they dont care about their existing Playbook customers. They think by doing a huge overhall in the OS and releasing it all at once is the right thing to do as it will attract new customers. Kinda of crappy since we have all been using the Playbook "as is". RIM should care more about us and the Playbook and work harder getting it where it needs to be. I personally dont want to wait for the "2.0", I want weekly updates instead. Lets say 2.0 is more flawed that 1.0, what do we do then? Wait for 3.0? lol please god no. I prefer weekly updates so if something doesn't work right then a quick update the following week will take care of it. So on and so on until we have a full featured and bug free os.
    Yes RIM doesn't care about us or any of their customers because they want to go under. Just because you or I or someone else doesn't get what they want doesn't mean they don't care.

You know how easy it is to update an OS that is brand new for how it is being used because you've written so many OS's yourself? As for a bug free OS, I don't think one exists that doesn't have some kind of bugs somewhere or another. Just look at how long it can take and windows still isn't bug free.

A history of Windows - Microsoft Windows

But yes I understand the frustration but I think they are working hard to get it right. It does take time esp on something new for the way it is being used.
    09-25-11 08:01 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD