Simply the PlayBook is a pretty good device . Not a lot of great apps, but enough good ones. Could it use more, yeah. But as far as emailing, playing videos, good games I think it is a great device. It really needs BlackBerry to fix the damn Bridge app it screwed up.

Posted via CB10
    Techno-Emigre, bob_tn and dphjeff like this.
    08-21-13 03:52 PM
    I was never in the market for a tablet. It was IPad 2 when playbook first price slashed. I pick up a 16G playbook try on a bit, was intrigue but need more storage. I returned it and have to go across the city to pick up a 64G. I second guess my decision and decided to visit an Apple store to try out Ipad 2 . I was aware the price was twice as much. At that time I figure if I'm going to invest in a tablet I might as well make sure I get one that I can live with. The plastic feel and the terrible camera at the time help me decide to go with playbook. The odd thing is I owned an IPod touch then . I never have the desire to get an IPad or Iphone, to me they are just a variation of IPod touch. I never own a cell phone until I got my playbook. It was playbook that sold me the Bold 9900, 2 more playbooks and later Z10. The eco system is not a big deal to me. I got hundreds of apps and games in my Ipod touch that I rarely even use. In fact, it's been sitting on the charging dock for months. I travel with my playbook and Z10 day in day out. Long distance or short. I could never get use to other tablet after BB swipe gestures. It feels primitive to me. My extended family mostly own Iphone, Ipad and Samsung Galaxy. I was never tempted to switch. Despite BB dropping the ball on continue support for it's tablet, ( Stupid , Stupid , Stupid management. Old management fumble at development, new management just want to move on). I echo all the positive points raised by many of the members above. Until than I'm not interested in other tablets. I'm keeping my finger cross hoping Apple, Samsung or other droids steal 90% of playbook functionality and produce something similar in the near future.
    dphjeff and jjs6w like this.
    08-21-13 06:00 PM
    Its portable, convenient, so useful, and, overall its more than just a tablet......I use it for both work and play. Very glad I bought it.
    dphjeff likes this.
    08-21-13 07:41 PM
    The playbook's browsing could be slower because it renders flash and executes web page scripts better than the other tablets' partial implementations. If you turn off fancy features to match the other tablets' capabilities, the browsing speed is not so different.

Origami is a pretty good browser too!
    dphjeff likes this.
    08-21-13 08:13 PM
    The PlayBook is a high quality tablet that allows one to get real work done efficiently and in style. The gestures and multitasking alone make iOS and Android look archaic in comparison.
    dphjeff and jmartin4077 like this.
    08-21-13 09:12 PM
    good hardware, speakers. wish we could load BB10 or even BB7 on it.
    08-21-13 11:00 PM
    Mine is collecting dust on the shelf after I got the ipad mini ( I also have nexus 7, HP touchpad)
    I got it for free and I thought I could live with it until the new OS but I gave up.
    Lacking of apps and games are not a problem but there are so many things I couldn't take any more
    - No Netflix , Hulu, amazon prime video.
    - Slow browser. Talking about flash, I can get browser with flash for the nexus 7.
    - File transfer: have you heard of airDroid?
    - Heavy, try to hold it one hand. After a week, my wrist started having problem
    - No basic photo slide show. I couldn't even turn it into a desk digital photo frame. This is really lame.
    - Constantly get pop up for yahoo password if I logged in the same account on my computer.
    - Stupid tiny power down/sleep button.
    - No other languages.
    Things I like:
    - form factor, I hate widescreen of the nexus.
    - beautiful screen
    - user interface, keyboard.
    08-21-13 11:28 PM
    It's a blackberry playbook! What do you know! I am on it right now as I am on it every night since I bought it probably almost two years ago. Need I say more? Well, I will anyways, it feels good on my lap, in my hands, on my belly and it does everything I want it to do except fully bridge with my Q10! Ughhhhhh! I just ruined it!
    08-21-13 11:55 PM
    Well, it's looking like the only tablet ever to be released by RIM/BB, and if the 2.5 million units sold stands it's a pretty rare device. If you're a BB fan, you should probably automatically be a PB fan as well
    08-22-13 03:44 AM
    Bit like a grandpa. Lots of chequered history. Bit let down by the Maker at times, not much future. Still has its uses. Hope not to die too soon.
    08-22-13 03:52 AM
    I'll retire mine after Z30 purchase..
    08-22-13 03:54 AM
    Apps are overated and what i like the most is good HTML5 support and Flash - lot's of kids TV and missed TV programme's working perfect in the browser in Holland. HDMI is also great on hollidays Why bother to buy a apple mini or samsung for 3-4 times the price of a 64Gb playbok
    dphjeff likes this.
    08-22-13 07:09 AM
    Bridge....
    dphjeff likes this.
    08-22-13 10:27 AM
    I'm not the only one probably who thinks the bridge function was a great feature. I haven't heard other tablet owners voice that although I read the ipads sync pretty well but I don't know.
    ShadowCruiserNB likes this.
    08-22-13 10:15 PM
    i remember those early days with
    - 60 days email coming after launch
    - depressed power button
    -revised playbook with raised power button
    - bridging with my 9900..sometime works sometime don't
    - operators pissed off at bridge stealing their bandwidth..and RIM being arrogant
    - wait and wait for 4G playbook which came a year later
    and high hopes of QNX, then BB10, then the write off, and eventual death of blackberry tablet.
    08-22-13 10:26 PM
    Are you talking about the BlackBerry PlayBook? I have one and would like to know about the advanced camera app you are talking about. Is it an app you side load or is it in the blackberry store?

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 12:30 AM
    Cause I just got real soccer 2013 for free

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 01:11 AM
    RE: Why does the Playbook have so many devoted fans?

Simple reason I believe, those so-called "devoted fans" see its potential... like me...
    08-23-13 01:31 AM
    I have used an iPad, iPad2, Tab, Tab 10, Xoom, and Tab 7 in addition to my Playbook. I still love the playbook.

Why? Many reasons.

a) Web browser is fast (not BB10 fast, but damn close)
    b) Flash player support means sites work on it.
    c) 7" form factor meant I could carry it easily (I found 10" got left behind due to size)
    d) From and back 5MP cameras, ability to take 720p and 1080p video at good quality. Recording a youtube video of yourself rocked, since you could see the screen AND get a good quality output.
    e) Wifi access to file share, so I could put/take files on it whenever I was at home
    f) Bridge, for when I was on the go and still needed internet. (And eventually SMS through bridge)
    g) The Gestures man! the gestures. That I can unlock with a swipe from top to bottom was huge, and switching between open apps was quick. In 3 swipes I could unlock it, switch to another application, and be working in it. All in the time it would take me to find and press a button.

Until I got my Z10, it was my daily usage device. Now not as much (as I love the Z10, and the playbook lessons that went into it).
    This... and I like the flash support in browser but the browser is not fast enough though... but the "g)" is probably my bigest reason.. I like the UI n UX when u easily swipe away through opened apps.. u can watch video or any other app while waiting the browser to load (internet in my country is not that fast) and u can go to the settings panel so easy.. that's why I was so upset when Thor declare that ugly statement of Playbook... it's like a potential child with incapable parent...

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 01:40 AM
    Just got back from Toronto and it was refreshing to use the excellent video and camera capabilities of the "old" PlayBook amongst the "sea" of iphones or samsungs. Nice size to preview the shot or view the shot taken. Got to be the most misunderstood tablet and those that missed out on the PlayBook strengths better get a Z10 to enjoy the intuitive swipes, gestures and the top notch OS. Small enough to be taken everywhere and used for surfing wherever free wifi was available.
    08-23-13 01:48 AM
    I love email playbook because it is no nonsense tablet.
    08-23-13 01:49 AM
    With all the negativity swirling around the Playbook, I was just wondering what is it about the device that causes so many people to consider it superior to all other tablets out there in the marketplace? It is a phenomenon that I have never fully and completely understood.
    Deliberately (= out of laziness, frankly) not reading the rest of the thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned before: I think there should be a clear divide between current feelings about Blackberry on the one hand and feelings about the Playbook on the other. The Playbook is a little device which you cannot just love or hate, but which you can easily "love and hate" at the same time while doing so "with a vengeance" IMHO. That might explain why so many users still stick around here, even if most of what they do is complain. I sure hope this makes some sense.
    08-23-13 03:33 AM
    i have a theory. I think many of us that support the playbook and indeed blackberry as a whole tend to like walking a different path to everyone else, and love to support an underdog maybe?
    08-23-13 05:50 AM
    Since you have iOS and Android tabs, how can you say the Web browser is fast... Sorry, it's pathetically slow...
    I see on this forum some comments that the browser is slow. I don't really understand it. My native browser on PB was faster than the Android ones (and I was using top specs Android tablet). Now, after switching to Origami, PB is like supercharged and you can't even compare it to Android, it is a different league.

Also PB hardware (design&built) is so excellent and durable. I am not a careful user, but my PB after over 2 years still looks excellent. My Android tablet, which I use much less, after 5 months looks like it is older than the PB.

One thing that nobody mentioned above is screen responsiveness (I am not sure is it software or hardware). I was playing the same games on PB and Android, to check the difference - and PB scores much higher. In my opinion, if you know what you want from your tablet and PB is able to deliver that, it is doing it much better than any competition. This is definitely the case with me and my use of PB.
    08-23-13 06:42 AM
    I like the build quality, very solid and reliable. Other things matter much less. I had Android and now Windows 8 tablet, mainly as laptop replacement. But for mobility PB is one of the best. Can note that I got it for much less than 200 usd.
    08-23-13 06:55 AM
190 1234 ...