i remember those early days with
    - 60 days email coming after launch
    - depressed power button
    -revised playbook with raised power button
    - bridging with my 9900..sometime works sometime don't
    - operators pissed off at bridge stealing their bandwidth..and RIM being arrogant
    - wait and wait for 4G playbook which came a year later
    and high hopes of QNX, then BB10, then the write off, and eventual death of blackberry tablet.
    The BlackBerry PlayBook does not steal carrier bandwidth despite the lies of certain wireless carriers. BlackBerry Bridge always functioned until BlackBerry 10 smartphones were released. The BlackBerry 10 development team has proved itself not up to the task.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    blueberrymerry and Carl Estes like this.
    08-26-13 12:40 AM
    The BlackBerry PlayBook does not steal carrier bandwidth despite the lies of certain wireless carriers. BlackBerry Bridge always functioned until BlackBerry 10 smartphones were released. The BlackBerry 10 development team has proved itself not up to the task.

bridge works on and off..it was never reliable. even then it's slow. if it works, then everyone else (android, ios, wp) would use similar mode (using bridge/bluetooth modem). whole company fails, just like when they eliminate trackpads on blackberry handsets..stupid decisions.
    08-26-13 02:16 AM
    Because it has/had so much potential. With the hardware with which it was released, the ability to multitask better than any tablet in its form factor at its time (besides some expensive windows 7 tablets that were being released), the very effecient swiping gestures, and robust bridge features (now completed removed) it had the components of being an incredible tablet. Right now, with a clean install and basic apps (i.e. origami browser, blaq, neutron music, kingsoft office port etc.) loaded it is still a very capable machine from a company that already had some very die-hard fans so it makes sense that their only attempt at a tablet still garners a following. It still amazes me how much of a screw up its launch and execution seems to have been (no email client!!!) but its also an indicator of its versatility of the OS and hardware if even with such a botched launch it still garners this kind of following.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-26-13 08:20 AM
    Amazon prime works perfectly fine with playbook....its one of my most visited sites for content consumption. One caveat is that the new silverlight videos or DRM content doesn't work but i've only encountered that a tiny number of times- the same with slideshow albeit its prmitive when compated to available apps for slideshows. the other gripes are valid, i think the 3/4G version was designed with a more prominant power button cause of the compliants.
    08-26-13 08:29 AM
    I can still, to this day, do things with my PlayBook in regards to PPT and video presentations that even the newest tablets can only dream of. On top of that it's by far the sturdiest device I've come across and can take some serious wallops while travelling. I'm dreading the day it dies, which it will, because there's nothing out there that can replace it and I'll have to go back to a laptop.
    what PPT and video presentation that you can do with the PB that the newest tablet can only dream about? example?
    08-27-13 10:35 AM
    what PPT and video presentation that you can do with the PB that the newest tablet can only dream about? example?
    I assume that he's talking about presentation mode on the Playbook. In presentation mode, with hdmi out being used,the Playbook's screen is NOT mirrored on the external screen, so you can be playing a video using the stock Videos app that will play on the external screen while doing something else on the Playbook's screen- surfing the net, say. Can any other tablet do this? I don't know.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-27-13 01:24 PM
    I assume that he's talking about presentation mode on the Playbook. In presentation mode, with hdmi out being used,the Playbook's screen is NOT mirrored on the external screen, so you can be playing a video using the stock Videos app that will play on the external screen while doing something else on the Playbook's screen- surfing the net, say. Can any other tablet do this? I don't know.
    I think I watched a you tube video of this on the Z10 also. It was wireless, or DLNA or something besides using the micro HDMI out. It was fluid.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 11:00 PM
    Positive - I was able to hook up to Airport Wifi when my Ipad 2 would not.
    Negative - Like my BBOS sometimes a website site will not open up willingly, and checker boarding.
    Negative - Apps - I just side loaded an App for my WIFI thermostat - doesn't work and other Apps do not work as well as the iOS app.
    Negative - Poor battery life
    Positive - Gestures
    08-27-13 11:28 PM
    Like most people have already said: it all comes down to the use case. I bought my 64 GB during the fire sale as a travelling device. With the PlayBook, I can keep service manuals and documentation close by so that if I'm on the road and a customer needs an answer on something or I want to review something before meeting with a client I have a decent sized screen, good resolution, and a reliable device. Add on the functionality of Bridge (even with my Q10) and it's all but replaced my laptop for most situations. I even order parts or other supplies online right from a customer site instead of waiting to get into wireless range with my laptop. For a few customers, I can even RDP into a server or two from the road over Bridge so the use case has just piled up.

Along with the work case, it also works as a convenient multimedia and gaming device for long flights. Coming back from San Diego last month, I was able to watch two full length movies, play a game, and listen to some music on a full charge. What had been a long and gruelling six hour flight with a laptop balanced on my legs was now a little more comfortable: tray table down sit back and relax...

Just for the time and the use I get out of it, my PlayBook has already paid for itself at least twice over. Hopefully one of these days there will be an adequate replacement device for it; until then I'll keep it with me and keep rolling.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    08-28-13 10:21 AM
    Duplicate posting... First time that's happened for me!
    08-28-13 10:22 AM
    bridge works on and off..it was never reliable. even then it's slow. if it works, then everyone else (android, ios, wp) would use similar mode (using bridge/bluetooth modem). whole company fails, just like when they eliminate trackpads on blackberry handsets..stupid decisions.
    BlackBerry Bridge always worked for me. My only complaint was large documents could not be opened; they had to be copied to the tablet. BlackBerry Bridge was very innovative.

Carl Estes likes this.
    08-28-13 02:54 PM
    Why? Because it's a good tablet with plenty of features.

A better question is, why does the iPod/iPad have so many devoted fans? One sees them in Starbucks ... young, trendy things who can sit all day in an expensive coffee shop, not having to worry about silly things like work, or worry about knowing how technology works, because the 'Apple magic' just shines on them just like the sun always shone out of Steve Job's a-hole.
    sad_old_man and Carl Estes like this.
    08-28-13 05:55 PM

A better question is, why does the iPod/iPad have so many devoted fans? One sees them in Starbucks ... young, trendy things who can sit all day in an expensive coffee shop, not having to worry about silly things like work, or worry about knowing how technology works, because the 'Apple magic' just shines on them just like the sun always shone out of Steve Job's a-hole.
    Because apple (god forbid I said that word) gives the customer regular updates. Now that may be in the format of "you have to buy a new device" but it's consistent. Let's be honest, how long has the iPhone/pad been on the market? How many versions of each of them are there now in such a short space of time? That's why? People perceived that new is better or it fixes thing in their current handset/tablet that they want so they must have it. BB sent out half finished devices that are crap (in which they are not alone), but then bb do nothing, say nothing about fixes, updates, new models or anything at all to the dissatisfied customer!

Apple (there I said it again) have produced some crap over the last few years, like an unusable handset because the designer incorporated the ariel in the trim but the fix for it was almost immediately.

If you read many of my post you will realise that I'm not normal! On this forum I have collected more points than the redskins did last season but the way Kevin responds to problems is just about the perfect example of customer response that you could wish for. BB need to take Kevins example of how to respond to a customer base. That does not mean I'm a blind lover of everything that happens on this forum and just wish to promote him?, far from it but as far as problem response is concerned in my view he is faultless!

BB PLEASE TAKE NOTE! oh I'm too late again?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-29-13 10:00 AM

Apple makes very nice looking devices that are light, thin and use premium materials with hardly any visible plastic. Their devices are works of art. The OS is boring, but very stable. I rarely reboot iOS, but I have to reset my Nexus and PB tablets often enough. The iOS apps run smoother.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-29-13 11:07 AM
    Because apple (god forbid I said that word) gives the customer regular updates. Now that may be in the format of "you have to buy a new device" but it's consistent. Let's be honest, how long has the iPhone/pad been on the market? How many versions of each of them are there now in such a short space of time? That's why? People perceived that new is better or it fixes thing in their current handset/tablet that they want so they must have it. BB sent out half finished devices that are crap (in which they are not alone), but then bb do nothing, say nothing about fixes, updates, new models or anything at all to the dissatisfied customer!

Apple (there I said it again) have produced some crap over the last few years, like an unusable handset because the designer incorporated the ariel in the trim but the fix for it was almost immediately.

If you read many of my post you will realise that I'm not normal! On this forum I have collected more points than the redskins did last season but the way Kevin responds to problems is just about the perfect example of customer response that you could wish for. BB need to take Kevins example of how to respond to a customer base. That does not mean I'm a blind lover of everything that happens on this forum and just wish to promote him?, far from it but as far as problem response is concerned in my view he is faultless!

BB PLEASE TAKE NOTE! oh I'm too late again?
    Maybeline has those press powders that help cover those brown spot on your nose.
    Available at Boots.

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-29-13 11:17 AM
    Maybeline has those press powders that help cover those brown spot on your nose.
    Available at Boots.

Posted via CB10
    Gooseberries don't have noses?
    08-29-13 02:55 PM
    1. right form factor
    2. well built
    3. great price...especially now.
    FF22 and sad_old_man like this.
    08-29-13 05:30 PM
    1. right form factor
    2. well built
    3. great price...especially now.
    Ooooooooohhhhh what's her name?
    FF22 and Carl Estes like this.
    08-30-13 06:11 AM
    I'm a fan of the PlayBook as it's:
    -got the ability to link up with a BlackBerry smartphone for easy access to text messages
    -cam be found used in good nick for less for $200 at pawnbrokers or on eBay. Mine was $99 at Cash Converters
    -solid build
    -using the black border for gestures
    -good selection of apps
    -Documents to Go with editing support
    -OS 2.0 brought many improvements
    -1080P video and 5MP fixed focus camera does well in daylight.
    -camera UI is simple to use
    -7" form factor is perfect-can carry my PlayBook in various 7" carry cases
    -screen is quite nice (not super res like Retina iPads)
    -1GHz SoC performs well
    -micro-HDMI output

Downsides are:
    -no microSD expansion
    -no BlackBerry OS 10 officially ( yet was promised last year) due to performance constraints

Actually there could be leaked builds floating around

And other things:

-no official Instagram and Vine apps
    But there are Instagram like photo filter apps on BlackBerry world
    -ABC iView catch-up TV works great on the PlayBook (that's a site offered by one of our public broadcasters in Australia).
    Last edited by amsblackberry; 08-30-13 at 08:13 AM.
    08-30-13 08:00 AM
    I'm a fan of the PlayBook as it's:
    -got the ability to link up with a BlackBerry smartphone for easy access to text messages
    -cam be found used in good nick for less for $200 at pawnbrokers or on eBay. Mine was $99 at Cash Converters
    -solid build
    -using the black border for gestures
    -good selection of apps
    -Documents to Go with editing support
    -OS 2.0 brought many improvements
    -1080P video and 5MP fixed focus camera does well in daylight.
    -7" is perfect
    -screen is quite nice (not super res like Retina iPads)
    -1GHz SoC performs well
    -micro-HDMI output

Downsides are:
    -no microSD expansion
    -no BlackBerry OS 10 officially ( yet was promised last year) due to performance constraints
    -no official Instagram and Vine apps
    Unless you upgrade to bb10?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-30-13 08:02 AM
    Playbook has fans because it's a table and its cheap

Sent from my Rise using CB Forums mobile app
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-30-13 10:16 AM
    Playbook has fans because it's a table and its cheap

Never thought about mine as a TABLE? Well I did put my pasty on it once, well several times but a table? No.

Love you fish!
    08-30-13 10:42 AM
    Never thought about mine as a TABLE? Well I did put my pasty on it once, well several times but a table? No.

Love you fish!
    The fish speaks nothing but the truth except for the times I lie but I don't wanna talk about that

sad_old_man and Carl Estes like this.
    08-30-13 10:47 AM
    The fish speaks nothing but the truth except for the times I lie but I don't wanna talk about that

Your just perfect as you are to me fish!
    08-30-13 10:49 AM
    Your just perfect as you are to me fish!
    Someone summoned the fish and he rises to the bait.
    sad_old_man, FF22 and Carl Estes like this.
    08-30-13 11:22 AM
190 ... 34567 ...