With all the negativity swirling around the Playbook, I was just wondering what is it about the device that causes so many people to consider it superior to all other tablets out there in the marketplace? It is a phenomenon that I have never fully and completely understood.
    08-21-13 12:18 PM
    tools not toys...

08-21-13 12:26 PM
    I think are passionate about it because they paid ipad prices for it and don't want to give in that they didn't get what they paid for. Some people so get every bit out of the device and it works great for them. Others feel betrayed by BB with it.
    08-21-13 12:27 PM
    With all the negativity swirling around the Playbook, I was just wondering what is it about the device that causes so many people to consider it superior to all other tablets out there in the marketplace? It is a phenomenon that I have never fully and completely understood.
    I can still, to this day, do things with my PlayBook in regards to PPT and video presentations that even the newest tablets can only dream of. On top of that it's by far the sturdiest device I've come across and can take some serious wallops while travelling. I'm dreading the day it dies, which it will, because there's nothing out there that can replace it and I'll have to go back to a laptop.
    08-21-13 12:27 PM
    It's been a pretty polarizing device ever since its release. It seems people either loved it or hated it. It was fairly unlike anything else on the market at the time...it was lacking basic PIM functions...and it utilized the immensely functional bridge. Dealbreakers depended on the individual. The Playbook was priced as high as the iPad when it was first released, and within months the price was slashed nearly in half. That upset many, but it seemed like just as many were bound and determined to make the most out of their purchase.

All that said, it wasn't for me. Tablets in general aren't for me, though. I had the Playbook, the Kindle Fire, and I've flirted with the idea of getting a Nexus 7, but ultimately it's not something I need.
    kbz1960, FF22 and gbpuntanegra like this.
    08-21-13 12:29 PM
    Hardware is superior, QNX, Advanced Camera app takes adjustable time-lapse videos, Fully charges from almost dead in less than 2 hrs, GPS works Navigation, Plays Asphalt 7 like a console, Email, Gmail, hooks up to my HDTV, Batteries (2) last a few days...need I say more?

EDIT: I only paid $299 for a 64GB...now able to buy 64GB ones for around $150 NEW!
    08-21-13 12:32 PM
    It's not necessarily "superior," it just has an interesting combination of usefulness and innovation. Kinda reminds me of the old Commodore Amiga in that way, I admire and love it for being something different and ahead of it's time.
    08-21-13 12:34 PM
    Beyond reasons stated above... I like the name. PlayBook. It's so dang clever.
    08-21-13 12:37 PM
    I have used an iPad, iPad2, Tab, Tab 10, Xoom, and Tab 7 in addition to my Playbook. I still love the playbook.

Why? Many reasons.

a) Web browser is fast (not BB10 fast, but damn close)
    b) Flash player support means sites work on it.
    c) 7" form factor meant I could carry it easily (I found 10" got left behind due to size)
    d) From and back 5MP cameras, ability to take 720p and 1080p video at good quality. Recording a youtube video of yourself rocked, since you could see the screen AND get a good quality output.
    e) Wifi access to file share, so I could put/take files on it whenever I was at home
    f) Bridge, for when I was on the go and still needed internet. (And eventually SMS through bridge)
    g) The Gestures man! the gestures. That I can unlock with a swipe from top to bottom was huge, and switching between open apps was quick. In 3 swipes I could unlock it, switch to another application, and be working in it. All in the time it would take me to find and press a button.

Until I got my Z10, it was my daily usage device. Now not as much (as I love the Z10, and the playbook lessons that went into it).
    08-21-13 12:45 PM
    I like the Playbook for the size, BB Bridge, and speed of doing things with multitasking. I understand it has problems but it still is a great little device. My PlayBook pretty much as replaced my laptop.
    08-21-13 12:50 PM
    I have used an iPad, iPad2, Tab, Tab 10, Xoom, and Tab 7 in addition to my Playbook. I still love the playbook.

Why? Many reasons.

c) 7" form factor meant I could carry it easily (I found 10" got left behind due to size)
    d) From and back 5MP cameras, ability to take 720p and 1080p video at good quality. Recording a youtube video of yourself rocked, since you could see the screen AND get a good quality output.
    e) Wifi access to file share, so I could put/take files on it whenever I was at home
    f) Bridge, for when I was on the go and still needed internet. (And eventually SMS through bridge)
    g) The Gestures man! the gestures. That I can unlock with a swipe from top to bottom was huge, and switching between open apps was quick. In 3 swipes I could unlock it, switch to another application, and be working in it. All in the time it would take me to find and press a button.

Until I got my Z10, it was my daily usage device. Now not as much (as I love the Z10, and the playbook lessons that went into it).
    I'm not sure about a) but agree with the rest. And the g) is on top of my reasons.
    And PB still excels in design and manufacturing, IMHO.
    08-21-13 01:02 PM
    I've had mine for over 2 years. I love it. The gesture based navigation just feels so addictive. The browser is awesome and has flash compatibility, blackberry bridge is a severely underrated piece of technology and it's ultra mobile and sturdy with a vibrant screen. Still use mine everyday.
    08-21-13 01:09 PM
    Because it works and for what I paid for 3 of them I still saved money over all the other ones out there.

Plus it works with BB Bridge with my 9930. Can the rotten apple do that? Can the android do that? Im not sure and dont care.
    Uncle Remus, dphjeff and bonche like this.
    08-21-13 01:14 PM
    Your question seems to be based on forum members.
    In the real world not many people love or hate a tablet. Most are indifferent.

The Nexus 7 is the only 7" tablet that I would buy to replace my Playbook and I have no intentions of doing that unless the Playbook dies. The build quality of the Playbook is impressive. I like the OS and screen gestures.

Some of the negativity is toward BlackBerry not the Playbook itself.
    08-21-13 01:19 PM
    Long story short, it's a great tablet! Many great features like the ones already mentioned and more. But the real stroke of GENIUS is bridge. Full bridge kicks a$$ and most of the world doesn't even know about it. Now with BB10 its severely crippled. Such a shame......

It is still, my everyday, all day device. I'm using it right now while my phone (Storm II) sits on the charger. Email, text, BBM, contacts, memos, calender, and task all from my pad. Even though it's really taking place on the phone without ever touching the phone........GENIUS!!!!

Hoot
    Last edited by Uncle Remus; 08-21-13 at 01:38 PM.
    08-21-13 01:27 PM
    Aside from all other Kudo's I travel overseas with mine (size & weight) I can use a micro HD cable & export (?) movies to a TV. I used to rely on Bridge heavily. It is how I log my hours when traveling (Bluetooth keyboard). LOVE the display (Clear/Crisp). Am considering suffering Momma's wrath & buying a second one (64GB).
    dphjeff likes this.
    08-21-13 01:29 PM
    Like anything, a person's experience with a device is partially dependent on what they use it for. For me, the PB is still relevant, it helped me up my game in my business (as mentioned, tools) and I hope BB comes out with another at some point. I also dread the day the two I have die. Not sure what I will do, since even today there isn't one device that can replace all the PB can do. I don't want to have to buy more than one tablet, so as someone else said, might be back to the laptop. I really thought I could kiss my laptop goodbye soon, but maybe not.
    dphjeff likes this.
    08-21-13 01:34 PM
    Its built like a tank, works well and um... what else is there? I use mine everyday. For a bit I thought mine had died and I shopped the Nexxus and Note tablet lines. I couldn't bring myself to buying either even at half the price I paid for my Playbook. Thankfully I didn't, because My Playbook was just having a rest-up. Im using it again just like before. Everyday, everyway. The Z10 handles some of the browsing duties, but when it comes to the nitty gritty, like reading msds sheets for example the Playbook is just an edge up on the Z10.
    08-21-13 01:46 PM

Why? Many reasons.

Since you have iOS and Android tabs, how can you say the Web browser is fast... Sorry, it's pathetically slow...
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-21-13 01:59 PM
    It still does all the things I want it to do. I'm too malware-phobic to get an Android tablet and too cheap to get an iPad. My Playbook is the best option for me.
    dphjeff and wyleybuster like this.
    08-21-13 02:43 PM
    The hardware is great... nice finish to it, awesome speakers, sturdy with a good heft... Bridge was wonderful until I hit up a Z10. I don't browser race with it, and don't require many apps (meaning hardware was more important to me than software was). I use it the same way that I would use a laptop except it's more portable. It keeps me company at night and wakes me in the morning. It's an all around great tool whether at home, vacation, or work. Yeah, it's missing a few things, but it's not supposed to be an everything device... just an almost everything device that suited me best. What little requirements I have, it fulfilled and surpassed. I would pay full price again for full bridge on a new BB10 PlayBook should the dream ever materialize, whether or not the current dozen PlayBooks have succumbed to the kids. That's how good it is. Yes, I stocked up and expect to have this thing around for a LONG time... maybe even pass it on to the grandchildren WAY off into the future like my car... at least, that's the dream.
    dphjeff, bob_tn and Shaif like this.
    08-21-13 02:46 PM
    Because I'm a stupid leprechaun?
    08-21-13 02:48 PM
    Like many have said up here, it's all up to useage case. I used to use mine for spreadsheets and reading pdf's easier than on my phone (9810 at the time 2 years ago) but have since relegated it to media consumption. They can watch movies on my and my girlfriend's PB's when we're out on long trips, or I can watch Doctor Who and Dexter via HDMI out when the kids take over the 360. Still use it for light browsing here and there when I want a bigger screen than my Z10. Lastly, it still makes for a good e-reader screen size-wise.
    dphjeff and rthonpm like this.
    08-21-13 02:52 PM
    Everything's been covered already about the many plusses of the PlayBook, so I have little to ad. I own two 64 GB models and both are used daily for business and leisure. It's a fantastic device imo and it still breaks my heart that BlackBerry has abandoned it.
    bob_tn and dphjeff like this.
    08-21-13 03:22 PM
    Everything already said (and, I am also typing on one right now). If the Bridge functionality would come back fully with BB10 I'd be a happy camper, but as it is, this still works best for me.
    08-21-13 03:43 PM
190 123 ...