04-30-15 02:32 AM
46 12
tools
    UPDATE I got to the bottom of my WiFi issue -it's due to the tiny tiny wire on the top of right side speaker which the black n signal wire is connected to. It somehow has gotten broken from the solder, it's pretty light so probably not that surprising.

I'm past fiddling around so took advantage of an Argos offer of a Nexus7 for 190euro which I'm typing this post from. I may attempt a solder fix when I have the time but for now I'm very impressed with the Nexus.

EDIT - Just so it's clear where I'm referring to it's the longer speaker on the right (when viewed from the back with the cover off) with the antennae attached to the metal frame around the top of speaker - similar to what happened to the guy in this post (http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...5/#post8190447). I know this is the issue as manually guiding the wire onto the solder with the back off had instant results with Wi-Fi getting full signal and finding other networks in the neighbourhood (ie full functionality). Hope my trials and tribulations help someone else avoid the stress!
    Last edited by Richard Barry; 02-09-15 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Further info & clarification
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-07-15 06:27 PM
    Cool
    02-07-15 08:28 PM
    FINAL UPDATE I broke out my solder iron and took a run at the PB and despite my inexpert skills I fixed it!!! Fully functional playbook and it only took too many hours and too much money😁😁
    kbz1960 and Cynycl like this.
    02-11-15 04:28 PM
    02-11-15 09:07 PM
    This maybe the best playbook story ever. Makes me want to keep my last one that is currently for sale......but not quite.

Thanks for detailing the saga. It was interesting and you didn't let it beat you.

So go you 😁
    02-11-15 09:18 PM
    Thanks guys, for once my stubbornness paid off!
    Luckily I got the Nexus 7 with a gift card or I'd be annoyed at spending €190 only to have the Playbook back in action and superseding the need for the Nexus.
    Even thought the Nexus is an amazing device with a lot more app functionality than the PB, I think my Playbook still has a future as a jukebox and backup browsing device when the Nexus is charging (slowly compared to PB on a rapid charger).

If I had one piece of advice from all this, undertake hardware repairs extremely carefully and patiently! I swear the PB is full of booby traps with some other part becoming damaged while fixing something else! Particular care should be taken with the digitizer ribbon and the wi-fi antennae wires. Hope this helps someone thinking of doing hardware repairs on their (still useful) PB.
    02-12-15 03:13 AM
    The N7 2013 has pretty good audio, but still not like a PB. Video, while being better resolution, is just more harsh. Did you update to Lollipop? Wait till you start swiping the N7 trying to turn the thing on. LOL. I've done it a million times...and don't think it is redundant to have more than one tablet. I've got lots and none on them are good at everything.
    Cynycl, mh1983 and Richard Barry like this.
    02-12-15 08:12 AM
    If only Blackberry had put that time and effort in
    02-12-15 08:21 AM
    I don't miss swiping at all. My win tablet uses swipes, different from the pb but almost the same.
    mh1983 and Gooseberry Falls like this.
    02-12-15 08:28 AM
    I don't miss swiping at all. My win tablet uses swipes, different from the pb but almost the same.
    Well, in all fairness, the magnetic covers these days do turn on devices fairly easily. But I do like that feature of OS2/BB10. The 8.1 swipes are a bit more convoluted as you have to grab to minimize and hold it to toss it off the screen. I've missed holding it alot of times. LOL. With PB/Z30, I just swipe to minimize app and "X" it out.
    02-12-15 09:24 AM
    On windows you just pull it down from the top off the screen if it's a modern app.
    02-12-15 09:27 AM
    I see no big deal tapping a power button or the hepatic button to turn it on. No more effort lol.
    02-12-15 09:29 AM
    On windows you just pull it down from the top off the screen if it's a modern app.
    Yeah, I thought the typical Windows "X" was supposed to show in the upper right corner with 8.1 to close it but I find I have to toss it.
    02-12-15 09:33 AM
    My Windows Tab, Asus Transformer T100, has a wiggly power button. I feel like it will break if you use it too much. So I got the case with magnetic cover to activate it from sleep.
    02-12-15 09:36 AM
    I think it does if you're using a desktop and not if you're using a tablet.
    02-12-15 09:36 AM
    I did update, or at least the tablet kept offering me system updates so I kept accepting them until we got to Lollipop! I do miss the swiping to wake and I liked the definitive action of hitting the little x to close PB apps. I find the Nexus power button less responsive than the PBs and it takes a really long press to switch on but the weight difference is startling. I never realised how heavy a PB (in a journal case) is, especially when compared to the Nexus (admittedly uncased).
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    02-13-15 02:36 AM
    Yeah, you probably did have to go through a couple of updates to get to Lollipop. It is a Nexus device so Google will keep updating it OTA as the hardware allows. That is nice. I absolutely hate android apps management. I've tried everything imaginable to kill apps. The Nexus also can be shut off (sleep) and awaken with a magnetic cover if you get one.
    Richard Barry likes this.
    02-13-15 07:07 AM
    Yeah, you probably did have to go through a couple of updates to get to Lollipop. It is a Nexus device so Google will keep updating it OTA as the hardware allows. That is nice. I absolutely hate android apps management. I've tried everything imaginable to kill apps. The Nexus also can be shut off (sleep) and awaken with a magnetic cover if you get one.
    I used to try to manage/kill off open apps in Android, but I think Android is optimized in a way to kill certain processes automatically after some time. A manual task killer in a way "wakes up" apps, which often triggers Android to reopen them, ironically wasting more memory and battery which is what those task killer apps are trying improve.

Best to just hit the home button and let Android do its thing. As someone who likes to close apps/programs, this feels sloppy, but as I understand it's just the way Android is.

EDIT: Adding a thread on task killers: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1649874
    Last edited by mh1983; 02-13-15 at 07:50 AM.
    02-13-15 07:23 AM
    I'm coming to the same conclusion regarding android apps. I had a cheap android tab before the PB and the task killer was very necessary to keep it in anyway useable. Put me off android but that was a few years ago and I have to say the experience on my Nexus is a world apart. Android has become a hell of an OS. Just makes RIM's abandoning of the tablet market all the more disappointing.
    02-13-15 03:53 PM
    The Nexus also can be shut off (sleep) and awaken with a magnetic cover if you get one.
    I know and I've been looking at a few (recommendations welcome) but I love how light the N7 is so am reluctant to lose some of that with a case despite the protection gained.
    02-13-15 03:58 PM
    Got the same issue with my Playbook not charging now. Works via the normal charger, but the docking station is the main reason it's still in use (as my alarm clock and bluetooth music player).

Going to try the suggestions on here, before making a decision on whether it's finally time to let the ol' boy go *wipes away tear*.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 02:32 AM
46 12