View Poll Results: What is the MAIN reason for buying a Playbook?

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll
  • Price

60 26.09%
  • Bridge Functionality

56 24.35%
  • BlackBerry Brand and support for RIM

77 33.48%
  • Other (please specify)

37 16.09%
    I was bullied by peer pressure into buying a PB on the first day.

Naw, I knew I wanted one, bought it when it came out. Already had a BB, so figured, why not?
    06-04-12 06:45 PM
    I bought the PB because it was cheap. I have since discovered the reason why.
    Excellent; I guess you shouldn't be posting here any more. Good luck to you matey.
    06-04-12 06:47 PM
    It works perfectly with my 9900
    06-04-12 06:49 PM
    Mainly because I love my BB phone, and RIM's offerings (products, services, quality, etc) and am not disappointed with it at all. Yeah, there is still things that could be slightly better, but it's not like they aren't working to making it the best dam tablet they can. Can't wait for BB10 upgraded on this!
    06-04-12 07:59 PM
    No real need for apps, but they had me at scrapbooking. The rest: intuitive, not 'too touchy,' Flash, I can read outside in the sunlight, size, bridge, I use it for absolutely everything!!! I love it, I have never stopped loving it. No regrets, no worries!
    06-04-12 08:01 PM
    Excellent; I guess you shouldn't be posting here any more. Good luck to you matey.
    Why not? He bought it, and like myself he is frustrated with some of the short comings. I bought 3 of them, and a big factor was price and the promise of good things to come.

Let me ask you:
    Full Web experience? Try logging into quickbooks online... Don't need an app right? We have the browser.

Is the email experience anywhere near what it is on any bb phone?

Is the notification system anywhere near as good as any bb phone?

The poll asked why someone bought it, he answered but you didn't like the way he did. Failing to recognize the short comings is exactly why RIM is where they are now. I have vested interest in seeing RIM succeed and it has nothing to do with the stock.
    MEJazz, kennyliu, chr1sg and 1 others like this.
    06-04-12 08:11 PM
    I bought for my mother, for reading before bed. Was going to to get Nook Tablet, then I saw the price of $199 for the 16g. Nice size. Great value. Gave it to my mom. Said too heavy (to hold in bed). Since most 7" tablets are the same weight, got her a 10".

Now I use it everyday. Don't bridge, but I still love it. Best mistake of my life. Too bad I didn't get the 64g.
    06-04-12 08:57 PM
    I voted for other.

I had been looking for a tablet for a while a lusted after a few(my wife can attest to that ) I knew I wanted a 7 inch for the portability. Originally I was wanting the HTC Flyer. Unfortunately it was discontinued so I stopped looking for it. After that I was in limbo and decided to take a look at the Playbook when OS2 came around. After playing with it in the store I still wasn't totally convinced. That's when I started my research.

Anyway, to make a long story short I'm now typing this on my less than week old Playbook so far I love it, but I'm still getting used to it. I like the full browser and fluid user experience, two of the reasons I bought it. Solid construction is another reason. A different OS than my phone(android) was a deciding factor.

I'm excited to see what BB10 brings in the future! For now I'm keeping Android on the phone and BB on the tablet, but it seems likely BB may be making its way into other parts of my life
    06-04-12 09:05 PM
    I bought mine because Kevin said it was cool...

He was right!

CB ROCKS
    06-04-12 09:12 PM
    i mainly bought it for the size, bridge is a nice bonus.
    06-04-12 10:12 PM
    Was originally looking at a convertable tablet PC. Saw a friends iPad and thought, tablet would do very well for my work. Saw RIM putting out the Playbook and had just bought myself a torch 9800. Seemed like the logical thing to do. No regrets!

Edit: I orginially bought it when it was first released in Australia
    06-04-12 10:14 PM
    Because it was the only tablet designed to be a, you know, tablet. Portable, functional, secure, gesture friendly OS, speaker quality, HD screen. Stuff like that.
    06-04-12 10:25 PM
    I bought the PlayBook because of the size and the functionality that it advertised: true multi tasking, the solid OS based on QNX; and because I wanted to be an early adopter of the shift in software of a brand that, for me, was a paragon in the corporate sector.

I voted other, and that was me specifying.
    Sums my choice up perfectly.
    06-04-12 10:59 PM
    Where to start.....when the iPad came out I told everyone, it's too big to be portable. The playbook was announced and I had(have) the 9800, I saw the 7" screen and thought now that's how big a tablet should be.

The playbook flopped upon release and I was thinking I might have to go 10", I surely wasn't going iCrap due to a deep seeded dislike for how controlling they are with their products and because I find people with Apple products have an "I am better than you because of what I am displaying in my hand" type of attitude, which just annoys me to no end. So I started looking android and was going to buy the transformer prime (cause I love asus). It of course had issues with supply and so through all of January and February I waited for the prime to arrive but to no avail. So I started looking elsewhere.

That's when OS 2.0 was coming out and the price was unbeatable. For the same price of a prime the wife and I could each have a PB. The Android app support was huge as well. So it was a no brainer.

So on to the next iteration of the thread, why do I still have my PB?

Form factor - can't beat the 7" size for any situation besides watching tv and even then I plug it in via hdmi to my projector and it becomes 110"! I take transit to work and it is perfect for being mobile. 10" screens don't leave the house much.

Portrait mode typing
    Bridge
    Android sideloading
    Perfect size gps
    Gestures, gestures, gestures!
    Both my kids have caught on super quickly to using it
    And as I have been finding out, the crackberry nation Rox and I couldn't be here without a BB otherwise I would be a troll.

The list gets bigger every day.

My wife has actually had to restrict my time on it.

The only thing that bugs me about it (majorly) is the slow keyboard response in some situations. Oh and for some reason the wifi drops out when I am in app world trying to download a large game usually about halfway through. I have found I just need to stay close to the router when doing that, but otherwise the wifi is good.

Excited for 2.1 to see what it brings!
    06-04-12 11:34 PM
    I travelled a lot for work. I had an IPAD I used, but was totally frustrated with no Flash support for browsing. Some websites with Flash menus I could not access at all the IPAD. So I decided to give the PB a shot just when 2.0 was coming out. Since then I have fallen in love with this tablet. I like the smooth logical interface, the bridging and the browser not to mention the email and contacts features. I also love the size of this tablet. So easy to take anywhere. The HDMI is also a nice feature.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    06-04-12 11:50 PM
    When I saw the price drop to 199 I didn't think twice and got it I was looking at the kindle but for the same price you get double the space plus the cameras it was a nobrainer now use it daily mostly for Web browsing.
    06-05-12 12:12 AM
    Got it for the price, size and camera. I have a big camera but it has a big case with different lenses and is just a hassle, my wife can slip this in her purse and we have a decent camera.

I've had it about a month and am learning about it, so far so good. I will get brave and sideload something soon.
    06-05-12 12:46 AM
    To sum it up quickly, UI, portability, bridge functionality, and supporting the brand. many more reasons along the way that I'm glad I choose the PlayBook.
    06-05-12 01:16 AM
    For me it was the fact that the cheapest tablet out there in terms of price could afford me the greatest security in terms of accessing data on my bb. Bridge functionality for me was the biggest reason. Once I break the link my PlayBook becomes nothing more than a dumb terminal.

Durability is also a factor for me. It just feels solid.
    06-05-12 01:27 AM
    I played with one in store when they first came out and loved the responsiveness of the OS. Always wanted one from then on, not knowing it didn't had a messaging app. Bought one for under 200 bucks to "try" it out and for most part am happy with it. But as I mainly use a Yahoo mail account, I hate picking up wife's ipad just so I could see my email folders. A proper Yahoo mail support and Skype/Netflix apps would make this perfect for me.
    Dunmanway Emar likes this.
    06-05-12 01:35 AM
    For me, the reasons were:

1) The price. PB was the cheapest tablet at that time. Good value for the price I paid.
    2) The UI (swipe/bezel gestures).
    3) Screen quality.
    4) Portability.

Overall, great little tablet with a promising OS, but, alas, horrible implementation.

I will most probably wait and see what we get with BB10, but if BB10 still lags behind the competition (both in functionality and ecosystem), I will most probably be getting a Win 8 tablet as an upgrade.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-05-12 at 02:11 AM.
    06-05-12 01:58 AM
    I think you should have split 'BlackBerry Brand and support for RIM' into two.

I can fully understand why some would have decided to buy a PB because of previous positive experience of BBs and even for reasons of brand familiarity but it is (and always has been) beyond me why anyone would consider buying a product to support a manufacturer unless they have a very personal connection with the a person or persons in the company. The inference of this is that there are some who are so deluded that they think that a huge corporation such as RIM really give a toss about them. Their primary motivation is profit.

At the time of writing 34.26% have given their reason in the poll as 'BlackBerry Brand and support for RIM'. I wonder how many of those actually did purely wishing to support the company.

Let the onslaught begin
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-05-12 03:15 AM
    It was price for me, and thats it. All the cheap android tablets where junk when i was looking to buy.
    06-05-12 03:25 AM
    1. UI - great no-button multitasking/navigation
    2. QNX - modern OS
    3. 7" display - with Kobo great for ereading
    4. Price - no tablet is worth �400, ever!
    06-05-12 04:11 AM
    I think you should have split 'BlackBerry Brand and support for RIM' into two.

I can fully understand why some would have decided to buy a PB because of previous positive experience of BBs and even for reasons of brand familiarity but it is (and always has been) beyond me why anyone would consider buying a product to support a manufacturer unless they have a very personal connection with the a person or persons in the company. The inference of this is that there are some who are so deluded that they think that a huge corporation such as RIM really give a toss about them. Their primary motivation is profit.

At the time of writing 34.26% have given their reason in the poll as 'BlackBerry Brand and support for RIM'. I wonder how many of those actually did purely wishing to support the company.

Let the onslaught begin
    My thoughts exactly. RIM is a corporation whose only concern is what its shareholders get. Simple as that. It is not Red Cross or United Way.

The last thing you want to do to ensure a company's viability and competitiveness is to buy its products just to show your "support".
    06-05-12 04:29 AM
89 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD