View Poll Results: What is the MAIN reason for buying a Playbook?

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll
  • Price

60 26.09%
  • Bridge Functionality

56 24.35%
  • BlackBerry Brand and support for RIM

77 33.48%
  • Other (please specify)

37 16.09%
    My #1 PB: great price for a 64GB device, 7in. screen, gestures, and a brand
    the #2 PB I just got: 16GB bought because my son would not let me take mine (#1) when going out of town, which I do every week
    06-05-12 05:17 AM
    so I don't have to lug a laptop around everyday (I'm disabled)

size, portability, weight, functionality, security

I've posted at greater length about this before....

In summary - lugging around a heavy laptop everyday was costing me a bundle in cab fares (as well as causing me a lot more back pain), having a small portable lightweight tablet means that I can use public transport instead of having to take a taxi in the evenings. PlayBook paid for itself in less than a month.
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 06-05-12 at 08:13 AM. Reason: typo
    06-05-12 08:10 AM
    Size and browser.
    06-05-12 08:39 AM
    Pretty much everything in the poll made the choice of tablet pretty clear. What cinched it for me was the UI.

The moment I saw it I was hooked. The more I read about it the more certain I was that this tablet would be something I'd use for a long time in various applications.

Still has yet to disappoint.
    06-05-12 10:04 AM
    Size and its integration with my BB phone made PlayBook the only tablet I had any interest in. And that still holds true. If my PB died and RIM weren't making it any more, I'd likely not get another tab.
    06-05-12 10:09 AM
    The Bridge function which meant sticking with bb brand. The size was more portable. I did expect more and was disappointed in things like pdf, docs-to-go, browser bookmarks. And I did STILL EXPECT those things to be fixed by now. That said, I still generally like it but that does not mean I will not complain about its ongoing weaknesses.
    h20work likes this.
    06-05-12 10:20 AM
    Bridge Functionality! its damn good n cheap man!
    wonder this at Malaysia people spend MYR20 permonth for BIS with 100mb data and u cant youtube..with bridge u can do everything without extra charge..youtubing...surfing till die and also u can download HD youtube without extra charge its super powerful and good man! IOS and ANDROID doesnt have this! <3 Be Bold
    06-05-12 10:25 AM
    Attachment 111659
    and much more...
    06-05-12 10:48 AM
    I travelled a lot for work. I had an IPAD I used, but was totally frustrated with no Flash support for browsing. Some websites with Flash menus I could not access at all the IPAD. So I decided to give the PB a shot just when 2.0 was coming out. Since then I have fallen in love with this tablet. I like the smooth logical interface, the bridging and the browser not to mention the email and contacts features. I also love the size of this tablet. So easy to take anywhere. The HDMI is also a nice feature.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Wasn't there an app for that? LOL I'm sure if there is the usual will come along and let you know.
    06-05-12 10:52 AM
    Perfect size and bridge. No regrets here.
    06-05-12 11:35 AM
    Wasn't there an app for that? LOL I'm sure if there is the usual will come along and let you know.
    No, but the web is changing. What was true one or two years ago, isn't necessarily true today.
    06-05-12 12:16 PM
    Price was a huge factor in my decision. How can u pass up this tablet for $199. The tethering is icing on the cake. Also, i love the portable size. The ipad is way too big for me to carry around.
    06-05-12 12:30 PM
    Bridge was the main reason for me. We waited for the price to come down a little at the office so the firesale was beneficial to us as well.
    There has NEVER been a fire-sale of the BlackBerry PlayBook. The discounted prices reflect the perceived value to buyers in the marketplace. I pre-ordered a BlackBerry PlayBook in April 2011 and paid full price. No regrets. BlackBerry Bridge was still in early development and not yet available. Subsequently, I bought 6 more BlackBerry PlayBooks, during the various sales, for family and kept two of the six tablets for use in my professional and academic life. The original tablet became my entertainment tablet (music, games, movies).
    06-05-12 12:47 PM
    I can't say price since I bought mine last April at top dollar! BUt I still love it! For me it was the fact that it was BlackBerry, it had the best browser in the business, and the bridge functionality.
    06-05-12 12:54 PM
    Full Web experience? Try logging into quickbooks online... Don't need an app right? We have the browser.
    I signed up and Inuit only supports four web browsers excluding the web browser installed on the BlackBerry PlayBook. I bet the BlackBerry PlayBook web browser could handle the website if Inuit did not actively block us. Email Inuit and file a complaint.
    06-05-12 01:04 PM
    I like the 7in form factor, the UI, the quick responsiveness of the processor, HDMI support and I can't believe I'm getting all that for the price I paid!
    06-05-12 01:28 PM
    definitely because of the price! it's only $200 FFS! dirt cheap! but it's at the cost of profit loss for RIM
    BlackBerry-maker RIM
    06-05-12 01:58 PM
    I bought mine on release day, and basically I bought it because I wanted a tablet, I chose Blackberry essentially for the bridge functionality. Its for the most part, a replacement for my (non-work) laptop minus a few more powerful programs like Photoshop and video editing
    06-05-12 02:28 PM
    I paid full whack for mine so it wasn't because of the price. I liked the way it would interact with my Blackberry phone and use my phone's data plan.

Overall I have been slightly disappointed, though OS2 was a good improvement. I can't quite put my finger on the reason for my disappointment, but I reach for the iPad first if the kids don't have it. They don't go near the Playbook so at least I do have it to myself.
    06-05-12 02:34 PM
    Sorry if that has been asked before, but I've had my Playbook for a little over 2 months. I'm wondering what is the Main reason you bought a Playbook?
    Didn't need it - just wanted another toy, so got one. A pleasant surprise was the side-loading ability allowing me to use it as a Kindle reader, which is where it now sees most of its use. The fact that I can get internet through bridging is another nice bonus.
    06-05-12 03:10 PM
    ...so I could go on a fansite and b!tch bitterly about all the ways it has failed

Seriously, because of the BB phone integration, smooth UI, form factor, and cool little things it CAN do, such as HDMI output and 1080p video. Also, it's completely replaced my laptop in my service truck on road trips, the combination of the Torch 9810 and the PB is unbeatable on the road in Northern Alberta. Remote desktop back to the office works well even under adverse/ crappy cell conditions, bridged internet, photo and video documentation at jobsites, watching flash training and safety videos for site orientation (like these guys are ever going to upgrade their in-house vids to HTML5!)...

Liked it so much, I bought another for home use.
    Max741 likes this.
    06-05-12 03:28 PM
    First off just wanna say my PB is awesome ...... However I must say the bridge functionality sold me on the PB not to mention the price and then the ability to run Android apps was the second reason; I though of it as having the best of both worlds in one tab . Going for an Android Tab would leave my poor 9900 a lonely girl but now she has a new best friend
    06-05-12 03:32 PM
    ...so I could go on a fansite and b!tch bitterly about all the ways it has failed

Seriously, because of the BB phone integration, smooth UI, form factor, and cool little things it CAN do, such as HDMI output and 1080p video. Also, it's completely replaced my laptop in my service truck on road trips, the combination of the Torch 9810 and the PB is unbeatable on the road in Northern Alberta. Remote desktop back to the office works well even under adverse/ crappy cell conditions, bridged internet, photo and video documentation at jobsites, watching flash training and safety videos for site orientation (like these guys are ever going to upgrade their in-house vids to HTML5!)...

Liked it so much, I bought another for home use.
    BRILLIANT!........I couldn't have said it better
    06-05-12 03:34 PM
    I paid full price for my first Playbook (16 GB), so it wasn't the price (although it certainly was when I bought my 64 GB at $199! I have used a 9930 and a DROID Bionic with Mobile hotshot so bridge was nice, but not the #1 reason. I had tried an Android tablet and hated it. I have had all of the Nooks and a Kindle Fire, and they are all okay, but nothing has compared to my Playbook. I like the format factor, the OS, the size.......it just feels right in my hands, and it does everything I need it to do. I know that is not very technical, but I just don't leave the house without my phone and my Playbook.
    06-05-12 03:42 PM
    Bought mine for a more portable tablet to work alongside my iPad 2, have subsequently sold the iPad as it was never getting used. Great features I didn't buy it for but subsequently use a lot:
    • HDMI - I work in professional gaming and the ability to stream twitch tv at home, on the road, at hotels etc on the biggest screens available is great.
    • Great filesystem, don't need an app to upload and download stuff unlike iToys. Can directly upload to Privatepaste, upload avatars etc.
    • Brilliant browser - I'm a HTML5 developer and the Playbook has top notch for bleeding edge web standards.
    • Battery life - I'm on my fifth hour of travel, been using the browser and music player the whole time and got 60% left. My ipad would have died by now.

All in all, the Playbook is absolutely central to the way I work and the way I play. It has replaced my laptop in many tasks, and totally obsoleted my ipad. It's also truly portable, which matters a lot as I travel 18+ hours a week.
    06-05-12 04:20 PM
89 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD