I see lots of articles saying that RIM cant sell the PB even at the reduced price, is this true? I walked into London Drugs (in west edmonton mall) last night, all the tablets were on display (Sony, Samsung etc.), apart from the PB. I asked the clerk why, he said all sold out, even the demo. All the futureshops were sold out within 2 days of the price drop. I dont get how the PB isnt selling, can anyone enlighten me?

P.S I got a 64G for 400
    12-05-11 01:32 PM
    the press is anti blackberry. It seems they want to make sure they fail.
    misskalunji and chiefbroski like this.
    12-05-11 01:40 PM
    why?? it does have its flaws but its not like its fatal
    12-05-11 01:42 PM
    Never trust the "lame stream media."
    misskalunji likes this.
    12-05-11 01:49 PM
    Amongst other things... they don't want to be ignored for Apple's big lucrative advertising contracts. And the print/media industry has been married to Apple products for many years.
    12-05-11 01:51 PM
    so its like apple is paying them to screw over RIM?
    gladiatorofyale likes this.
    12-05-11 01:54 PM
    I would not be in the least surprised, though things may now change now that Jobs OTD.
    12-05-11 01:56 PM
    The reports are also reporting old news, prior to the sales over the past few weeks.

Another thing they fail to mention is that a charge on an inventory write down will need to be reversed or partially reversed if they actually sell all the inventory at more than they wrote it down to. Rim may have to revisit this in a later quarter if the PlayBook sales are going as well as they seem to be.
    12-05-11 01:58 PM
    The reports are also reporting old news, prior to the sales over the past few weeks.

Another thing they fail to mention is that a charge on an inventory write down will need to be reversed or partially reversed if they actually sell all the inventory at more than they wrote it down to. Rim may have to revisit this in a later quarter if the PlayBook sales are going as well as they seem to be.

but i highly doubt they'll sell now at regular price. they should have moved it up $100~150 instead of going back to full price
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-05-11 02:01 PM
    The press reaction may be unfair, but it's understandable.

1) You only get to make a first impression once. The PB's timing, pricing and incomplete functions are all just bad at release.

2) It's fun to pile on. It's sick, but it's also fun, which explains the continued bad press since release. Rim is a company undeniably in trouble. Hopefully they could find a way to reverse the momentum both in the media and in real life. A couple of consecutive real and positive pieces of news, that's all.
    12-05-11 02:02 PM
    I would not be in the least surprised, though things may now change now that Jobs OTD.
    Even though Blackjack got banned, it's like he never even left in here.
    12-05-11 02:03 PM
    Even though Blackjack got banned, it's like he never even left in here.
    You say that like it's a bad thing. Oh, and you forgot to also quote the MOD's post as well...it is in the same spirit of the other posts you quoted.
    BlackStormRising and kbz1960 like this.
    12-05-11 02:06 PM
    but i highly doubt they'll sell now at regular price. they should have moved it up $100~150 instead of going back to full price
    They did move it up $100, at least in Canada. I haven't checked today, but the day after the sale ended, they were $200 off at Staples instead of $300.

The write down is such a large number that it is if they don't think they will sell what they have in inventory or make any more with the parts they have in inventory. I think they may rethink this.
    12-05-11 02:06 PM
    I didn't realize the "press" released the Storm and the PlayBook.
    FF22, jtfolden, Shlooky and 1 others like this.
    12-05-11 02:08 PM
    You say that like it's a bad thing. Oh, and you forgot to also quote the MOD's post as well...it is in the same spirit of the other posts you quoted.
    It is a bad thing, BJ got banned for a reason
    Toodeurep, Toodeurep and Shlooky like this.
    12-05-11 02:09 PM
    They did move it up $100, at least in Canada. I haven't checked today, but the day after the sale ended, they were $200 off at Staples instead of $300.

The write down is such a large number that it is if they don't think they will sell what they have in inventory or make any more with the parts they have in inventory. I think they may rethink this.
    for staples its $200 staples gift card, which means its not really money, u have to buy more stuff from staples, so not really much off. Futureshop and best buy all went back to release prices
    recompile likes this.
    12-05-11 02:10 PM
    Everyone loves a success, but they love a failure even more--just look at Lindsey Lohan. I wouldn't take it too hard because the public also loves a good comeback story.

Despite what the press says, if RIM can just get it together and release that critical update in February and then follow that up shortly with a stellar hardware revision that is priced realistically then they could come roaring back. The question is, will RIM's leadership be able to pull this off. If the story about the RIM executives getting so drunk and disorderly on a jet that it had to turn around are any indication, then it may not be good. I don't think RIM would close up shop, but I could see it getting bought by another big player that would gut the management.
    12-05-11 02:12 PM
    Despite what the press says, if RIM can just get it together and release that critical update in February and then follow that up shortly with a stellar hardware revision that is priced realistically then they could come roaring back.
    I have never heard of a software update turning around a multi-billion dollar company.
    12-05-11 02:13 PM

Despite what the press says, if RIM can just get it together and release that critical update in February and then follow that up shortly with a stellar hardware revision that is priced realistically then they could come roaring back.
    As usual with the "this is how RIM could turn things around" arguments, there are some huge "ifs." by the way, when you say "priced realistically," do you mean based on the actual cost of the hardware, or on what people are willing to pay for it? Based on recent events, what people are wiling to pay and what is profitable for RIM are two drastically different numbers.
    12-05-11 02:17 PM
    for staples its $200 staples gift card, which means its not really money, u have to buy more stuff from staples, so not really much off. Futureshop and best buy all went back to release prices
    You are correct on Staples, it is a gift card, but they seem to be out of stock except for the 64gb. I had bought a 16gb from them last week at the $199 price, missed the delivery of it Friday and it arrived today.

The Source has them on the web site only $200 off, but once again, only 64gb in stock.

What was the media that was saying they were slow selling? They may have to update their report to reflect reality.
    12-05-11 02:22 PM
    The press can't be trusted. These are the same people that say Obama, Pelosi and Reid are doing a good job...don't trust the media, they have agendas.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-05-11 02:33 PM
    Since none of us have or are able to share proprietary information, we of course will propose scenarios that involve "if". So there is nothing wrong with stating our opinions in that manner, and in fact is shows they we understand that future circumstances and actions will impact future results. This is a key part of economica, running scenarios.

Past performance does not dictate future action or performance, so you need to look at the current picture and then consider what if RIM carries through on its plans. Yes, if they follow through. Spotty history there, but the stakes are now much higher.

What they deliver, and at what cost to us will be very interesting. But QNX and BBX added to their existing backend infrastructure will be a set of compelling products. If they deliver.
    12-05-11 02:37 PM
    I have never heard of a software update turning around a multi-billion dollar company.
    Well, it would need to be a solid software update *followed* by or at the same time as a significant hardware revision--as stated in my previous post. At this point, that means a quad-core processor, maintaining the metal enclosure, and possibly a screen resolution upgrade.

As usual with the "this is how RIM could turn things around" arguments, there are some huge "ifs." by the way, when you say "priced realistically," do you mean based on the actual cost of the hardware, or on what people are willing to pay for it? Based on recent events, what people are wiling to pay and what is profitable for RIM are two drastically different numbers.
    Of course, this is all "what if". What I mean by "priced realistically" is that based upon the hardware features and software combination, they cannot demand a premium just because they are RIM. If they release a Quad core, 10 inch IPS tablet with a high resolution display and pair that with a everything they promised in the 2.0 upgrade, then they can charge a price that's up there with the iPad. Anything less than that and they will have to price it lower.

Consumers don't care how much an inventory of parts costs.
    12-05-11 02:58 PM
    Well, it would need to be a solid software update *followed* by or at the same time as a significant hardware revision--as stated in my previous post. At this point, that means a quad-core processor, maintaining the metal enclosure, and possibly a screen resolution upgrade.

Of course, this is all "what if". What I mean by "priced realistically" is that based upon the hardware features and software combination, they cannot demand a premium just because they are RIM. If they release a Quad core, 10 inch IPS tablet with a high resolution display and pair that with a everything they promised in the 2.0 upgrade, then they can charge a price that's up there with the iPad. Anything less than that and they will have to price it lower.

Consumers don't care how much an inventory of parts costs.
    Your suggestion would be a disaster. Consumers don't care about hardware they want to know what they can do with it and how easy it is to do what they can do and how "cool" it is. Trying to take on the I-Pad3 (A6 quad core & retina display)at a similar price point with a 10" screen = death. I guarantee 98% of all consumers can't tell you the difference in processors. Give them a true professional tablet in the 7" form factor at a decent price and you have a fighting chance.
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 12-05-11 at 03:11 PM.
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-05-11 03:07 PM
    If they release a Quad core, 10 inch IPS tablet with a high resolution display and pair that with a everything they promised in the 2.0 upgrade, then they can charge a price that's up there with the iPad.

They can charge whatever price they want, as they did with the PlayBook 1, but that doesn't mean it'll sell.
    12-05-11 03:08 PM
100 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD