There seems to be a bit of confusion as to if we can connect our PlayBooks to a VGA monitor. I'll try to clear things up a little bit

There's two different forms of video signals: Digital and Analog.
    Analog signals are the video signal sent in it's true form without any sort of compression or quality confirmation. Digital waves are compressed into an algorithm that ensures quality.

And there's many different types of ports that can be used to send video signals, but the relevant ones are: HDMI, DVI, and VGA.

The VGA standard is analogue only.
    The DVI standard is digital, but is designed to support analogue VGA.
    The HDMI standard is digital only and only supports digital DVI.

While there is cases where there's a device with a HDMI port that supports VGA, that is a non-standard port and is specific to those devices.

The PlayBook most likely does not support VGA, and I believe the TI OMAP processor is incapable of working with VGA anyways.

NOTE:

You can purchase a converter that does this. HD Furys are considered the best and range from $100 to $250 directly from the company, but you can probably get them cheaper elsewhere.

However they are not guaranteed to work, and can fail for unexplicable reasons.
    Last edited by grahamf; 04-16-11 at 09:34 PM.
    04-16-11 11:54 AM
    people really dont get this kind of stuff?
    04-16-11 11:57 AM
    Agreed, you need a converter to bridge between the two incompatible signals.

AR
    04-16-11 12:15 PM
    people really dont get this kind of stuff?
    Apparently not. It's been mentioned a few times in threads but I figured a specific thread would make it more prominent and less likely to be missed, causing the person to make financial decisions based on the assumption that it does work.
    04-16-11 09:26 PM
    Apparently not. It's been mentioned a few times in threads but I figured a specific thread would make it more prominent and less likely to be missed, causing the person to make financial decisions based on the assumption that it does work.
    Pfft. Who wouldn't know this?
    04-16-11 09:32 PM
    What about THIS converter?
    04-16-11 09:42 PM
    Everything I've researched indicates that it should work. Just make sure you use a good quality VGA cable to prevent crosstalk, and you may need to downscale the image.

I now kinda wished I didn't make this thread, because my original point is not accurate.
    04-17-11 12:08 AM
    That may not be compatible with HDCP, which I expect the PlayBook will support (though we're not sure yet). It also doesn't handle audio. I haven't seen any reviews test if presenter mode also separates audio so that the movie audio goes out over HDMI and things on the internal screen use the speakers/headphone out. If audio is separated you'll want a device that can also decode the audio. I've heard good things about the HD Fury, which both has audio and breaks HDCP. Specs

I have of course not tested it with a PlayBook, but I expect it would work.
    04-17-11 01:02 AM
    I can personally attest that this digital to analog converter box works:
    Amazon.com: HDMI to Ypbpr Component RGB / VGA Converter: Electronics

I'm able to run slideshows, play videos and use presenter mode without a hitch, connected to an Epson 3X1 projector on VGA. Needing to lug this extra converter box which needs its own power is a slight hassle, but being able to present from the Playbook is very handy.
    05-03-11 06:49 PM
    A colleague bought that converter and it worked flawlessly connected to our Panasonic projector.
    Xecutioner88 likes this.
    05-05-11 06:20 PM
    A colleague bought that converter and it worked flawlessly connected to our Panasonic projector.
    Most projectors in my country (Dominican Republic) dont have HDMI in only VGA, and not being able to use VGA on my playbook was a huge setback for me

Thank you for the feedback on that converter. i was holding back on the Playbook for this reason, and now that you have pointed that it works im going to buy it first thing tomorrow!.

Thanks again!
    05-05-11 06:28 PM
    i bought this HP converter and it worked. 40 bucks in amazon.
    05-05-11 06:44 PM
    Sorry for digging up an old thread, but the HP adapter - is this a MICRO HDMI to VGA adapter, or a regular HDMI to VGA adapter?

Also, could someone explicitly say that it worked with their Playbook?
    06-09-11 08:28 AM
    Also, could someone explicitly say that it worked with their Playbook?
    Did you actually read the post above yours, where the poster stated "i bought this HP converter and it worked"?
    06-09-11 08:43 AM
    Which states that "it works", not that it works with the Playbook. It IMPLIES the Playbook due to the forum and thread, but doesn't say it outright.
    06-09-11 10:24 AM
    There is another vga thread which says it works, too. And mentions a cheaper device which may not work.
    06-09-11 11:15 AM
    Got it, thanks! Shoulda searched first... Friggen newbie. (16 years doing forums, you'd think I'd have though of that...)
    06-09-11 12:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD