01-22-12 11:13 PM
99 123 ...
tools
    Apple jumps into digital textbooks fray - Yahoo! News

the market potential is incredible. Pair up the software with a stylus based note taking app to annotate on the book and you're golden.

But, of course why do that? Better work on that combover, MIke...
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-19-12 02:41 PM
    Apology video statements without comb over? Are you kidding?

Anyway, I don't think RIM has to become another content company to succeed. Making sure Amazon Kindle app lands on the Playbook will do the trick. Rather focus on great hardware, solid OS with lots of apps, and push the enterprise stuff you are best known for.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-19-12 at 03:15 PM.
    blue-b and artie like this.
    01-19-12 02:49 PM
    Research in Motion is busy scrambling to get the basics done with its next lineup of products. They don't have time for things like this.
    artie and The_Kills like this.
    01-19-12 02:56 PM
    Research in Motion is busy scrambling to get the basics done with its next lineup of products. They don't have time for things like this.
    No worries, they will get there. And you'll be finally happy again.
    01-19-12 04:14 PM
    Google Announces Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2011 Results - Google Investor Relations

Seems they have a lot of scrambling to do.

Google today announced its Q4 2011 earnings. Money-wise, Google say $2.71 billion in profit on $8.13 billion in revenue.

For our purposes, the news is that El Goog announced that some 250 million devices -- that's a quarter-billion devices, or 250,000,000 if you're into numbers -- have been activated, up 50 million from Q3 2011. Or, 555,000 or so activated every day. (Remember that Android is now up to 700,000 activations.) Of those 50 million devices activated for the final three months of the year, 3.7 million came over the holidays, a number Google had already announced.

Google also announced that the Android Market has seen 11 billion downloads. That's 1 billion more than when Google had its 10 billion-download celebration a month ago.

Google's in the middle of its earnings call. We'll update with any new developments.

Source: Google
    Last edited by grncherry1; 01-19-12 at 04:21 PM.
    01-19-12 04:18 PM
    I don't think I'd want to try to use a textbook on a PlayBook: the screen is too small.

Frankly I'm not to sure about textbooks on the iPad. I don't know if I'll be able to get all of my textbooks in iPad format, and I'm worried about what restrictions of use there will be.
    01-19-12 04:21 PM
    I don't think I'd want to try to use a textbook on a PlayBook: the screen is too small.

Frankly I'm not to sure about textbooks on the iPad. I don't know if I'll be able to get all of my textbooks in iPad format, and I'm worried about what restrictions of use there will be.
    They have been used in schools and Universities here for several years.
    01-19-12 04:23 PM
    And you'll be finally happy again.
    I doubt that. They'll find something else to b***ch about.
    01-19-12 04:27 PM
    Don't worry this is coming for the pb

Soon we'll get the Zinio app and they sell textbooks

And Kobo was purchased by a Japanese company and they'll most likely sell textbooks as well
    01-19-12 05:12 PM
    you don't even want to try this on 7" tablet. Even 10" tablets such as IPad could be pushing the limits for text books.

Anyway, a lot of what comes out of Apple did not happen overnight. They have a bookstore and hardware, so they can do this.

I'm not going to ask RIM to do this, until 10" playbooks are out.

However, I'd like to see the "ITunes University" type of content available on PB, that would be awesome. I can download them from ITunes and put them on PB, but it'd be easier to do that directly on PB, similar to the podcast app.
    01-19-12 05:26 PM
    Apple's always had a history in education. RIM would not stand a chance in this area. Enterprise.. enterprise.
    01-19-12 05:30 PM
    Apple's always had a history in education. RIM would not stand a chance in this area. Enterprise.. enterprise.

high school/university/college students that have BBs and pbs want access to textbooks

This has to be available in the BB ecosystem.
    01-19-12 06:14 PM
    RIM needs to get its house in order first before it can strike favorable deals with content publishers, otherwise the negotiations will be all one sided.

Apple had to work its b*tt off to create an entirely new ecosystem with music and movie providers, and now they've done it with textbook publishers, I just don't see RIM going after something like this at the moment, they are more concerned with hardware. Yes, hardware such as that Porsche Design phone. That's going to be a winner for the company.
    01-19-12 06:26 PM
    high school/university/college students that have BBs and pbs want access to textbooks

This has to be available in the BB ecosystem.
    Even if every single PB user is a student who wants textbooks, that's still <=1 million units, even after 9 months. In other words, the group is still small enough to ignore with minimal penalty. Plus, as others have stated, the 7-in format is a little small for this application.
    01-19-12 06:31 PM
    Be serious Amazon, we're not going to buy a Fire. It is useless for anything other than content consumption. And even then, it's not great: no HDMI out, portrait format, weak audio. If you can open your eyes, there is a huge market for Kindle + Lovefilm on PB.

It's not about just about the PB users, but the potential sales to people who want a real
    tablet. The iPad is good + you don't make it. The android on PB Kindle is really rubbish.

Please release a native version of Kindle (and then Lovefilm) for Playbook.
    bbzoomr and DaveTheA like this.
    01-19-12 06:39 PM
    RIM needs to get its house in order first before it can strike favorable deals with content publishers, otherwise the negotiations will be all one sided.

Apple had to work its b*tt off to create an entirely new ecosystem with music and movie providers, and now they've done it with textbook publishers, I just don't see RIM going after something like this at the moment, they are more concerned with hardware. Yes, hardware such as that Porsche Design phone. That's going to be a winner for the company.

The only thing that's needed is publisher websites selling their ebooks and having the proper ereader

Ex. students would visit a courses website and download ebooks from publisher websites

This is probably already happening and Apple is just creating a media event between device launches
    01-19-12 06:56 PM
    eBooks are nothing new for textbooks... They have just always used Flash. So once again its only news because now Apple supports it even though everything that supported flash (pc, PlayBook, etc) has had this for a long time.
    01-19-12 07:04 PM
    To be honest I'd prefer a more open eTextbook method, where Publishers can license their textbooks directly to the user/student, who then can load them onto their eTextbook-certified devices, weather it be an iPad or a low end textbook eReader, such as a 16" (yes SIXTEEN INCH) version of a Kobo Touch with calculator, dictonary, etc that you can buy for ~$199 and can handle whatever a standard textbook can handle. Even if that thing only lasts a couple years, if I can license the eTextbooks for only $50 I'll save a buttload.
    01-19-12 07:13 PM
    lol apple just realesed pdf books on a table oooh wait i already have that...great....so if jotsy gets it rigth it would actualy be better than this... just saying...
    01-19-12 07:16 PM

the market potential is incredible. Pair up the software with a stylus based note taking app to annotate on the book and you're golden.

And will Apple leave its conservative, family friendly agenda, out of this deal or will they try to extort their views on publishers who publish content to which Apple, by their obvious moral superiority, deem unworthy for the rest of us?

Sorry, but there have been instances already where Apple's policies have prevented and/or delayed apps from appearing in their store simply because the content of the apps offended someone at Apple.

Until it's made clear that Apple can not comment or in any other way ban/alter the content of the book publishers, I remain decidedly against this announcement.
    01-19-12 07:59 PM
    And will Apple leave its conservative, family friendly agenda, out of this deal or will they try to extort their views on publishers who publish content to which Apple, by their obvious moral superiority, deem unworthy for the rest of us?

Sorry, but there have been instances already where Apple's policies have prevented and/or delayed apps from appearing in their store simply because the content of the apps offended someone at Apple.

Until it's made clear that Apple can not comment or in any other way ban/alter the content of the book publishers, I remain decidedly against this announcement.

Your opinions are totally unfounded.
    01-19-12 08:21 PM
    I say that there isn't a tablet that would succeed in this department. First off, a student using a tablet as a textbook would generally need their "textbook"'s battery life to exceed 6 hours or so of constant use without exception. Now say that the student didn't properly plug in their power cord for their tablet... No textbooks for the entire day. Secondly, curriculum would have to change a lot, since the way things are right now if you have a calculator or access to the world outside of the classroom during class you can VERY easily cheat. Also, I can think of many people who would have trouble paying attention in class if their favorite game was only a couple of taps away.

On the other hand, using a tablet as a textbook would mean having to only carry around <1 pound instead of a whole bag/backpack of stuff, and you could get more types of content, and it would be possible to set it up so that the teachers can see who actually read the textbook!
    01-19-12 08:53 PM
    Regardless of size 7 inch or 10 inch screens. RIM doesn't have market share in the tablet market to make exclusive deals with publishers that would be economically viable.
    01-19-12 09:53 PM
    No worries, they will get there. And you'll be finally happy again.
    im happy already. do we really need that. no biggie for me
    why doesnt apple bridge their phone.
    01-19-12 10:48 PM

whats the point? ive been using the site coursesmart to buy all my textbooks and run on my playbook. works really well imho. no downloading, access from anything with an internet connection (yes, ive used it on my torch before) and a cheaper price than buying a tangible text. i can highlight, bookmark, make notes, and print selected pages if need be. works like a charm.
    01-19-12 11:00 PM
99 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD