I just got my brand-new Playbook last night, and have only had minutes here-and-there to get into it.

Today I'm tinkering with it a bit, and got it Bridged to my Torch 9810. Happy day!

But... I'm on AT&T, and do not have a tethering plan... nonetheless, I can use the BlackBerry Browser, and surf through my phone.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you... but WTH? I didn't expect to be able to use the internet in any way through Bridge. Is this going to come back to bite me, or is it some loophole that I haven't been made aware of yet?
    01-27-12 10:20 AM
    The latter. Tethering is not required unless on a non BB phone
    01-27-12 10:23 AM
    Where did you download the bridge app from?
    AT$T users should download from rroyy.com or go to this link and follow the directions in the first post.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-7-5-a-621230/
    Last edited by Chaddface; 01-27-12 at 10:42 AM.
    01-27-12 10:38 AM
    I downloaded to AppWorld a few weeks ago while I was debating buying the Playbook, and I wanted to see how it worked in a store w/ a demo model.

The only thing I can think is that when I first started the Playbook on my WiFi at home, it loaded up a new OS immediately (1.0.8.6067)... is there something in this update that gets around it?
    01-27-12 10:43 AM
    I would delete the app from your phone and download the one I linked to. You may be fine but better safe then tethering fee.
    apg300 and kbz1960 like this.
    01-27-12 10:45 AM
    Did you also load a different OS on your phone?
    I hear that AT&T phones are restricted from downloading/using the BB Bridge app on Appworld. That's why Chaddface was asking where you got the BB Bridge app (phone) from.
    If you're unsure, and afraid it may come back to bite you with charges from AT&T, I would suggest following the link Chaddface gave and download that BB Bridge version onto your phone.
    01-27-12 10:47 AM
    We can download and use the app from app world but it comes with restrictions. AT$T had rim make a "special" app just for them. The app that can be downloaded OTA is the app everyone else uses.
    I have heard some stories of AT$T users being able to browse with the app world version of bridge. I wouldn't risk it.
    01-27-12 10:53 AM
    download the one from rroyy and you'll be good, delete the one you have now
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-27-12 11:03 AM
    Thanks all; I'm currently uninstalling the Bridge app from my phone, and will download Rroyy's as soon as I can.

One thing someone mentioned triggered something; last month, my 9810 got bricked (JVM Error 5710, or somesuch), so I had to reinstall from scratch. Maybe something about the OS image I installed had something to do with it, although it was supposed to be the AT&T image.

Either way, I won't be taking any risks. I don't trust AT&T, and I'd dump them if I could get my unlimited data anywhere else.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-27-12 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD