The PB is back up on the Bestbuy website, but all are showing sold out online. Looks like all the angst paid off.
    11-28-11 11:31 AM
    Oh well, too bad for BestBuy and better off for RIM, at least from me. I already put out my $$ and they lost a chance at getting it!
    11-28-11 12:43 PM
    I think a fire sale is coming..HP offered a similar discount to its employees right before it went on sale for $99 everywhere.
    11-28-11 12:44 PM
    Best Buys loss? What? If anything Best Buy just gained more shelf space to sell something else.

I think the PB is a very nice tablet so don't take this as a diss, but how is Best Buy losing when the PB wasn't a hot seller to begin with?

Having the PB in more places to sell is better for RIM. More hands on the device equals a better chance to sell it unless the device is garbage therefor actually being able to use the device would persuade people otherwise. That is not the case wit the PB though IMO.
    I heard SEARS online has them for 72 bucks......
    11-28-11 01:38 PM
    I heard SEARS online has them for 72 bucks......
    I think that was their mistake, since the page isn't working...
    11-28-11 02:11 PM
    UPDATE: Best Buy sent an e-mail to PCWorld with the following statement:

"Customers have responded very positively to this short-term promotion available until Dec. 3 and, as a result, we are currently sold out of our inventory. We will have additional units available in the near future, at which time customers will be able to purchase the devices online at www.bestbuy.com." - 11/28 3:30pm ET
    VeGiTo likes this.
    11-28-11 02:57 PM
    Knew it. BLOCKBUSTER!!!
    11-28-11 03:12 PM
    I guess BestBuy won't be stocking or selling Playbooks. Not a good sign.

I'm just guessing here, but could be that RIM and bestbuy might have had a falling out.
    A lot of posters here have drawn attention to the fact that BestBuy was hardly making an effort to sell them. With dead PB's on display and staff that couldnt care less.

Or maybe BestBuy decided its not worth it. Who knows...
    I was at my local BestBuy in Edmonton Canada this morning and I found they have more 50 16GB PB's availabe while their website doesn't show any availablity at all, I asked the sales associate about it and his reply was that they don't want to show the PB's on the website so they don't get sold very fast even they will be sold before most of the customers reach the store and their system needs 4 hours to update the status stating that they are sold out, and it seems they are not in rush to sell them with this low margin, my advice to call your local store to check the availability if you want one happy shopping.
    11-28-11 04:16 PM
    My thoughts...
    Could it be that people really do not like the 7" form factor? Look at all the other 7" tablets: Dell's Streak, HTC's Flyer and I know there is another but I forget. I don't think any of these devices are doing well at all. HTC has been pretty much gone away from BB as well, the Dell Streak I saw it only once on display and that was at a Staples and kinda hidden.

I used to own the iPad 1, gave it away recently, but I remember that after a while I did get tired of holding that device, I still do not have a tab and not sure I really need or even want one, having lots of fun with my 9930. I think I'd like to get my own PB just for the geek factor of the BB Bridge.
    11-28-11 06:03 PM
    My thoughts...
    Could it be that people really do not like the 7" form factor? Look at all the other 7" tablets: Dell's Streak, HTC's Flyer and I know there is another but I forget. I don't think any of these devices are doing well at all. HTC has been pretty much gone away from BB as well, the Dell Streak I saw it only once on display and that was at a Staples and kinda hidden.

I used to own the iPad 1, gave it away recently, but I remember that after a while I did get tired of holding that device, I still do not have a tab and not sure I really need or even want one, having lots of fun with my 9930. I think I'd like to get my own PB just for the geek factor of the BB Bridge.
    That is definitely possible. Or just as likely, folks think a 7inch tablet should cost substantially less than the larger 10inch ipad. The quality of the screen and other components may not figure into the equation those folks are thinking about. "Smaller = cheaper!"
    11-28-11 08:18 PM
    That is definitely possible. Or just as likely, folks think a 7inch tablet should cost substantially less than the larger 10inch ipad. The quality of the screen and other components may not figure into the equation those folks are thinking about. "Smaller = cheaper!"
    I think this is true in general. The average consumer doesn't care about specs and they look at tablets just like they do at TV's and monitors. A smaller screen should carry a smaller price.

The Amazon Fire shows what a decent 7" tablet with solid support and an active ecosystem behind it can do.
    11-28-11 10:45 PM
    All Playbooks's are listed again on Bestbuy.com. Additionally I noticed that they are listing refurb units at a very attractive price point: $149 for 16GB and $169 for 32GB and only $199 for 64GB. They don't currently have any in stock, but at these prices once they do they could be a real deal! Something to keep an eye out for in the coming days.
    11-28-11 11:57 PM
    I got my 32gb from bestbuy on monday!
    11-30-11 04:36 AM
113 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD