Why is there a "no time-out" option for backlight and standby? Why is the user not given a choice and must pick from a pre-defined drop-down list with a maximum of 5 minutes?

Why do I want this? So that I can use my PlayBook as a digital picture frame when it's not doing anything or if I simply choose to do so without the PlayBook going into standby or the backlight dimming.

Yes, it's a small thing but should have been simple enough to change and include with OS 2.0.

02-21-12 03:50 PM
    +1 on that.
    02-21-12 04:20 PM
    I don't understand their lack of thinking about this issue!!!
    I have tried to use the playbook for public speaking and the
    DocsToGo app has been updated as well.
    BUT, with the screen going dark every 5 minutes and having
    to swipe the screen again to get it back on...I lose my place
    and it's just so frustrating I've had to go back to paper!
    And NO, the "streaming" backlight override programs DON'T work
    in keeping the backlight on while trying to use a Document.
    I've tried free, and even paid for a worthless backlight override app.
    Darlaten likes this.
    02-23-12 01:37 PM
    I second that - and do not understand why standby timeout was limited to 5 mins EVEN WHEN ON POWER chord !?
    This is completely pointless. Why is there no option like e.g. "always on", at least when on a charger? Or at least to allow the user to pick longer intervals than 5 mins?
    How can I download large apps or games, without having to remember to touch the screen every other minute to keep it on? If it goes into standby mode, the download gets suspended. How annoying is that?
    Darlaten likes this.
    02-23-12 06:02 PM
    The development team obviously lack any real-world experience as end-users of anything except gaming consoles maybe. Seriously, as a presentation medium such a time-out is mandatory; imagine giving a lecture and having to remember to swipe the tablet and then waiting for the video signal to synchronize with the projector or HDTV monitor each time. Time to slice off a few genitalia from the development team as a motivator.
    02-23-12 06:10 PM
    This stupid issue has been with the PB from the moment it was released.
    02-23-12 06:17 PM
    Just chiming in on how this was a ridiculous oversight which should have been implemented from the start.
    02-23-12 06:50 PM
    probably to help conserve battery life, sucks i know, but i bet that's why
    02-23-12 06:57 PM
    This has been the biggest pet peeve of mine since day one. And RIM knew that this was an issue - within hours of the Playbook being released to the public, people were posting complaints about this very issue on their official forums. And to this day, they are still posting comments. So much for RIM looking at their forums to see what their users are requesting.

I think everyone who thinks this is an issue should tweet Alec Saunders of RIM, politely of course, and put the bug in his ear that we want an option to keep the device on at all times.
    02-23-12 07:20 PM
    i concur with the OP on this one..

lets see this in the next, but soon update
    02-23-12 07:28 PM
    clueless on this, I am still surprised that some enterprising developer hasn't come up with some simple app - Android is full of them.

I would be more than willing to pay a few $ for such an app and maybe we could even offer a bounty to the first dev that comes up with something.
    02-23-12 07:59 PM
    probably to help conserve battery life, sucks i know, but i bet that's why
    If this is to save battery life why do they have separate entries for plugged and battery? They just do not have real world experience with devices like users here.
    10-19-12 10:12 AM
    Good news, I have it straight from the RIM Public Relations Manager that "I have confirmed that the development team has added a “never dim” functionality to the roadmap for inclusion. They are unable to share a timeline with me but it is on the list for a future incremental feature update." This "never dim" is the same thing as the screen timeout that so many have wanted but the sad news is that there is no definite time for the update.

At least I got an answer one way or the other.

Jeff Gedgaud

Mr Donut, Darlaten and Boight like this.
    11-26-12 10:30 AM