Ok.....a question that is probably rhetorical. Why can't RIM say "Hey guys, we are releasing OS 2 on (insert date here)". Do they think speculation makes them more interesting? Is there a bounty available for developers every time someone pushes the software update button? Are the hundred or so posts.in the forums trying to guess the date fun for anyone?

There.....I said it. I feel better. Have a nice weekend.
    speedypear and cdelcampo216 like this.
    02-10-12 06:24 PM
    Same reason Apple doesn't release dates either I'd guess.
    02-10-12 06:27 PM
    I think they have so much riding on OS2 that they are afraid to announce it.

Kind of like your wife getting dressed to go out, she just can't get it right no matter how long she takes.
    02-10-12 06:30 PM
    It's always better to let them ripen on the tree, before plucking it off for consumption.
    02-10-12 06:30 PM
    The working theory is that they're simply not 100% done fixing all the gating issues. (For clarity: that means the issues they've chosen to label "gating" and thus prioritized for this release, as opposed to others which will simply be deferred until the first maintenance update.)

They don't want to be in a position where they've given a firm release date only to say at the last minute "we're going to delay three more days to finish retesting now that this one last fix is complete". The press would eat them (as, clearly, would almost everyone posting in these threads).

Feb 17 has been and still is the internal target date, but I can't really think why they would want to limit their flexibility by announcing, for example, "Feb 21 is it!" more than a few days in advance, if at all.
    02-10-12 06:34 PM
    well gotta wait then we can all try guessing and so on, but eventually we have to wait till it's there.
    the *date* has been set so yah hope it's gonna be that day!. meanwhile dream along.
    02-10-12 06:37 PM
    they are just giving a little bit of extra time for more people to go out and purchase a playbook..the more people they can make happy the more positive responses we will give..sorta like just sharing the happy moments..lol...although i might add..the faster the better now...so all thoses playbook non-believers can convert away from their "other tablets" to real working piece of art
    02-10-12 06:41 PM
    Same reason why the cable guy says "I'll be there any time from 9am to 5pm"
    speedypear and rppaul like this.
    02-10-12 06:47 PM
    Why all the mystery? Poor planning, uncontrolled processes and uncertain results...
    patpatiar likes this.
    02-10-12 06:53 PM
    The longer we wait, the shorter the time to bb10 release... 5 seconds after PB2.0 is released, everyone will be asking for bb10 and PB3.0 and complaining when it will be coming...
    pelletizer and Hgouck like this.
    02-10-12 06:58 PM
    5 seconds after PB2.0 is released, everyone will be asking for bb10 and PB3.0 and complaining when it will be coming...
    LOL. True enough, I guess.
    02-10-12 07:01 PM
    They would be announcing it if they are so close to it..I am guessing feb 17th or just before end of feb,.
    02-10-12 07:06 PM
    Same reason why the cable guy says "I'll be there any time from 9am to 5pm"
    ...and he shows up during that 10 minute window that you decide to take a shower.
    Vee_G and VanCity778 like this.
    02-10-12 07:10 PM
    It's not a kidney for transplant or your UN rations package. They probably aren't holding it up to tweak a few thousand hardcore users nor are hard at work making major changes. It's an update. They are polishing and getting everything in order as much as possible. And because of the size, they'll want to make a media splash so a little buzz is good, but they've built that with the demos. Sure, it will make the PB much better, but it's such a huge change that people must put their life on hold until it happens. You guys have just worked yourselves up into a lather. It's like a dog chasing its tail.

Relax, it's Friday. It's not coming out over the weekend.
    Tailrotor and jafobabe like this.
    02-10-12 07:27 PM
    Let me ask you, if RIM gives a date, say Feb 17th, is it in lets say Apples best interest to squash that news with a news release of their own?

or how about this do you open your Christmas presents before Christmas?

I'm guessing RIM wants to make sure all their ducks are lined up in a row. As Mr. Heins has already said its now about execution.
    02-10-12 07:27 PM
    How many sleeps?
    02-10-12 07:31 PM
    oh that sleep, it's a wonderful thing that's i'm going to do now.
    OS2.0 not 2morrow but some more sleep and it would do.
    02-10-12 07:33 PM
    Same reason Apple doesn't release dates either I'd guess.
    1.) It's a software update. Not a product release. Apple announces software updates.
    2.) though imitation is considered the highest form of flattery, I don't think this best route for RIM to go.
    02-10-12 07:37 PM
    Let me ask you, if RIM gives a date, say Feb 17th, is it in lets say Apples best interest to squash that news with a news release of their own?

or how about this do you open your Christmas presents before Christmas?

I'm guessing RIM wants to make sure all their ducks are lined up in a row. As Mr. Heins has already said its now about execution.
    You're kidding right? I doubt the folks at Apple are overly concerned with RIM's release date. Why would they be?
    02-10-12 07:41 PM
    Ok.....a question that is probably rhetorical. Why can't RIM say "Hey guys, we are releasing OS 2 on (insert date here)". Do they think speculation makes them more interesting? Is there a bounty available for developers every time someone pushes the software update button? Are the hundred or so posts.in the forums trying to guess the date fun for anyone?

There.....I said it. I feel better. Have a nice weekend.
    They are working with Crackberry to increase the post count. Its working. If you wear tin foil on you head they can't read your mind.

Some of the people on this site must be a handful when the presents get put under the tree.

James
    02-10-12 07:45 PM
    If SW is not ready, they will not be able to tell exactly when it can be released. Was BBM supposed be part of OS 2.0 release? I suspect they have problems, just trying to sort out what can be included as part of release. It's too late trying to fix anything right now.

If that is true, it is disappointing since I got different impression from the new CEO's message.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    02-10-12 08:17 PM
    It's always better to let them ripen on the tree, before plucking it off for consumption.
    Blackberries grow on bushes not trees according to the bears I was speaking with the other day as I wandered aimlessly across a meadow until they started chasing me crying out "blackberry! blackberry!".
    jafobabe likes this.
    02-11-12 12:19 AM
    Can't tell you........It's a secret......I will tell you we will know right after they tell us. Enjoy your playbook now. It is a great tablet. You will eliminate one stress point in your life.
    02-11-12 09:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD