I think frfghtr totally lost the idea behind the name "playbook". When I think of "playbook" I think of a book every player on a football team has. The playbook has to be intensly studied and contains a trillion "plays", being game strategies. This is the aspect of football that has nothing to do with "playing" whatsoever.

So the name is quite appropriate.

With that off my chest, this article is amazingly helpful. I was about yo jump on the iPad 3 bandwagon but I realize that my initial thoughts of nabbing a playbook were spot on.
    I switched from Verizon Crapberry to iPhone n I don't want a giant iPhone in addition. We'll see how this v2 thing comes along ....
    And I think you forgot to click the link I provided after stating, "Interesting Review", or you would noticed the article was written by Hillel Fuld and I only posted it on CB after finding it with my twitter account. But thanks for the compliment even though it was misdirected.

With that off my chest, yes, this article is amazingly helpful.
    Last edited by frfghtr; 08-26-11 at 08:29 AM.
    08-26-11 08:21 AM
    written something like this yesterday before i went to work after learning my friend bought an iPad 2 in HK and after almost everyone of my clients in the studio have been asking me tons of questions.

here's mine: 73 | 16

i'm by no means techie. my review is solely based on my own experience with PB
    08-26-11 08:39 AM
    With all the updates, these articles are old by the time they are written. What about the last update that brought 3G to the PB via Bridge! That's huge if you have a BB already! She's just another whiner (native email) that doesn't get all the benefits of a BB product because she didn't want a BB? I just don't get some ppl
    Not everyone has a BB. This person is clearly experimenting all over the market and giving their opinion as to what the normal consumer wants. And not all consumers have a BB, therefore, a native email client is crucial.
    08-26-11 09:14 AM
    One important thing you forgot to mention is the ability to transfer files wirelessly through LAN from a computer to your PB. Heck, I've written a nice article on how to do it in Linux which a lot of people don't seem to know how to do it over here

The only complaint I have about RIM as a whole is they are moving to QNX platform but yet wouldn't release a version of Desktop Manager for Linux users.

I'm somewhat tired of hearing the whole no native email complaint, you're COMPLETELY missing the point. RIM wants you to have a platform where you have their phone and their PB, kinda like how Apple's iPod only worked on Macs and left Windows users out in the dark.

Playbook is building on security hence you lose your PB they don't have access to your emails or anything while still having your phone with all the info on it.
    08-26-11 09:17 AM
    Playbook is building on security hence you lose your PB they don't have access to your emails or anything while still having your phone with all the info on it.
    And I believe that most reviewers and consumers forget that RIM is in the business of security, first and foremost. This thing has federal certification, government approval.

Personally, I think RIM's biggest mistake, when they developed the playbook, was their shortsightedness in offering a product to the general public and the business/government community at the same time.

Most the complaints about the playbook consist of things like, native email, android, facebook, twitter, youtube and whatever. Name me a business/government office that would want to give that to an employee. "Hey Chuck, what time did you get in NFS?" "Don't care Phil, I'm playing Deadspace. "Hang on, gotta check my facebook. Chuck! Chuck! Did you close video chat with the boss or is it running in the background?"

Now from a business perspective it is not a bad unit. Yes they do need spell correction, but it's totally secure, with a lot of great features that make it an extraordinary business accessory.

If the playbook was only available to the business community I would be jealous. As a general consumer, I consider myself fortunate that I can purchase an item that has cutting technology and is being adapted to suite the needs/wants of myself and others without compromising it's original intent.

And not to leave Apple out of the equation. Yes they do make great products and no one can discount that. But rather than arguing about the two, why not just buy the two? People have two cars, 4 tvs, 5 computers, 4 cellphones, 3 gps etc. I doubt they're all the same. Why not have two tablets? And if you can only afford one, buy the one that suites your needs and don't worry about the other guy. He'll be ok.
    danimalchil likes this.
    08-26-11 11:10 AM
    The reason why 9/10 people dont own one is also the fact that if you product follows other you will lose market share. NOONE will buy two, three tablets just see which one they will eventually settle for.
    08-26-11 01:17 PM
    dont care what anyone says i wouldnt swap my bb storm & playbook for any IOS out there bb all the way baby !!
    08-26-11 01:25 PM
    Nice review. I would get a Playbook but I am cheap so I got a $150 Touchpad which I am waiting on arrival at the moment.
    BBisthefuture likes this.
    08-26-11 07:11 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD