My friend from down the road encountered which may be the reason why the 668 update was recalled. He just bought the 4G LTE model (running 668) today and attempted to bridge it to his 9700 Bold. The bridge didn't work so well. Instead of bridging the phone to the playbook, it decided to enable the password on his 9700. A password that he has never set since owning the phone.

He hasn't backed up the phone in well over a year and can't risk losing everything. RIM Tech Support will be receiving a call from him first thing in the morning.

That's a nasty bug! Anyone else encounter this?
    08-12-12 10:32 PM
    Hmm, I've never heard of a bug the can somehow setup a password on another device. That's a first...
    08-12-12 10:39 PM
    Sure...thats the reason why... Nothing else but for the same reason "your friend down the road" had issues. Youve figured out their secret....genius!!!!!!!

Methinks user error and not because of update for PB.
    luqman24 and Sith_Apprentice like this.
    08-12-12 10:43 PM
    .668 was causing issues to people running older versions (1.0.8( of the OS when they upgraded. It was pulled so the issue could be fixed.

It was on twitter the other day.
    08-12-12 10:47 PM
    i have no problem when bridging my 32GB wifi playbook with my 9900 on this .668 maybe u can try reboot ur phone 1st.goodluck..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-12-12 11:18 PM
    The truth is, people are complaining about the delay release of the OS 2.1... so, RIM released .668 (regardless of what)... and then when people are experiencing "bugs" on it, they wish that RIM should not release the update... "no wish" for updates + "no update" at all = "no whining" people... everyone is calm again and patiently waiting for OS2.1...

Nah, it's just only one of my weirdest theories...
    08-12-12 11:30 PM
    He hasn't backed up the phone in well over a year and can't risk losing everything.
    Not backing up in over a year! Bet you he also likes to play Russian Roulette.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 08-12-12 at 11:47 PM.
    08-12-12 11:45 PM
    Everybody uses the excuse of "my friend" when its themselves

Dood...just admit it.. The friend down the street is you.
    08-13-12 12:14 AM
    .668 was causing issues to people running older versions (1.0.8( of the OS when they upgraded. It was pulled so the issue could be fixed.

Hopefully this includes the battery issues many have been experiencing including myself which forced me to update to 2.1 beta. Other than that it's a great update!
    08-13-12 12:34 AM

OS 1.0.8 is a VERY old version of the Tablet OS (Yes it was called Tablet OS back in OS 1.0.x days). Considering that OS 1.0.8.6067 was released on December 6th 2011, I highly doubt the great majority of PlayBook owners were on this build.

In fact, in 1 month, 90 percent of all PlayBook owners updated to OS 2.0 from the launch date. RIM also reported that 50 percent of all PlayBook owners updated the same day the update was issued.

You may be absolutely right that it caused problems from updating from OS 1.0.8 but I would assume since the great majority of us were running at least 2.0.1, this would have taken RIM a while to figure out.
    08-13-12 01:33 AM
    The Playbook in question is the 4G LTE model which ships with 668 as noted in my original post. There is no older version to upgrade from. This was a first time attempt to bridge the devices together. Now, I will admit the user is not tech savvy, so user error is always a possibility. But, from Bridging a Blackberry to locking the entire device seems quite unlikely for a user to perform when following the Bridging instructions on the Playbook.

Is there a way a service provider (i.e. Bell) can send service books or something similar to unlock the Blackberry?

And in case you're wondering, no, this is no my phone. I don't have problems with my Blackberrys or Playbooks or computers or whatever. I got the call late last night so i popped over to try to help. Not knowing the password really limited my scope of assistance.
    Last edited by DoctorEvil8; 08-13-12 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections. Some ppl are very picky.
    08-13-12 07:17 AM
    I work in BlackBerry tech support for a UK carrier. There's hands down no way of unlocking a locked BlackBerry and no way of accidentally setting a lock when trying to bridge. User error, for sure. :-( We've all been there. I just hope that your friend manages to remember what he might have set as the password.
    08-13-12 07:56 AM
    Thanks CreaturesFarley. I am going to focus on user error for the moment. Here is my theory as to what may have happened...

1) Bought new playbook. Attempted to setup for the first time. Wifi, Blackberry ID, stuff like that.
    2) Got to the Bridge setup. Playbook tells him to go to App World to download Bridge on his phone. It asks for Blackberry ID and password. This is where things get fuzzy in detail. The phone is locked into his original Blackberry ID and cannot change it. I do not know if he created a new Blackberry ID on the PlayBook or not. This is where he cannot recall the password as he doesn't download apps.
    3) Goes to computer and resets Blackberry ID password for his phone.
    4) Goes back to phone to enter new password. This may be the step where instead of changing the Blackberry ID password, the phone password got enabled instead.
    5) After asking for password twice for verification, phone password is enabled.
    6) He goes back to App World on phone where it's asking for Blackberry ID and password.

I am assuming at this point that frustration may be creeping in as he thought the password was already enabled. From this point to when I get the phone call, the phone locks itself after half an hour and asks for the password.

So I've advised him to make a list of every password he used yesterday. The password he needs should be in that list. Here's hoping it IS user error. That means there's a chance of unlocking the phone.
    08-13-12 09:17 AM
    In regard to Passwords on bb phones, there is also the issue of whether it was doing Letters or Numbers. Some folks lose track of whether they might have had Numeric (alt) engaged.
    diegonei likes this.
    08-13-12 09:57 AM
    OS 1.0.8 is a VERY old version of the Tablet OS (Yes it was called Tablet OS back in OS 1.0.x days). Considering that OS 1.0.8.6067 was released on December 6th 2011, I highly doubt the great majority of PlayBook owners were on this build.

In fact, in 1 month, 90 percent of all PlayBook owners updated to OS 2.0 from the launch date. RIM also reported that 50 percent of all PlayBook owners updated the same day the update was issued.

You may be absolutely right that it caused problems from updating from OS 1.0.8 but I would assume since the great majority of us were running at least 2.0.1, this would have taken RIM a while to figure out.
    Feel free to doubt pal, but they are there. Even my app has some 1.0.8 users. 4 out of 2550 downloads.

You can question RIM's motive for pulling the update out, I will entertain the idea as I myself wonder if that was really the issue, but there are indeed plenty of people on early OS versions (OS. Tablet OS. 2dotOh OS. Take your pick, I never really said anything on this. :P).

My app, which has a very limited reach, has some. Imagine what devs with really popular apps would show.
    08-13-12 10:37 AM
    Wifi only here and. 668 is the best OS for me so far.
    diegonei likes this.
    08-13-12 11:10 AM
    i thought i was special and it was recalled solely for the problem i was receiving heheh, jks:

Updated, restarted > battery died after 2 days without usage

charged it, turned it on by holding the power button for a long time.

screen turns on..while loading...the screen turned off (as usual..the lock)

tried to power on with power button didnt work. swiped screen to turn on, it worked. tried to lock with power button, didnt work. tapped battery and locked it, powerbutton again, didnt work.

it seemed like powerbutton got damaged. i risked it by turned off the playbook (by tapping the battery)..

successfully turned the playbook back on with the power button.

happy it wasnt a hardware problem.

^^ this was why i thought 668 was recalled
    08-13-12 03:48 PM
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKKHSAE1gIs[/YT]
    kbz1960 and DOCTOREVIL8 like this.
    08-13-12 04:02 PM
    I've finally come to the conclusion that it was recalled just to mess with our minds, collective or individual.

Or to keep Crackberry rolling with more messages.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-13-12 04:58 PM
    I've finally come to the conclusion that it was recalled just to mess with our minds, collective or individual.

Or to keep Crackberry rolling with more messages.
    Ah, the conspiracy theory starts again. Just kiddin ya F2.
    08-13-12 05:00 PM

I'm guessing that it caused problems when updating a new PlayBook which probably comes with an 1.0 version loaded. That plus the forced update at startup would be reason enough to pull it, IMO.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-13-12 05:05 PM
    Problem has been solved! 10 passwords entered incorrectly. SYSTEM WIPE. Okay, maybe the problem wasn't solved, but he can only move forward now.
    08-14-12 07:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD