07-22-12 09:54 AM
45 12
tools
    There is no reason for RIM to release a 4G PB. The current PB has cost them a ton in losses, and has sincerely damaged their reputation. The only purpose for this that I can see is a limited release to test the 4G capabilities widely. But if that is indeed the purpose, why not add 4G capabilities to the Alpha device and seed that to devs for a nominal fee? (ie allow them to purchase it for $200, which is what they sell the PB for). This will mean RIM loses less money on the device (smaller screen. Smaller battery, not a consumer device so it doesn't need a high quality finish, doesn't need high levels of customer service, etc) and you get to test it in a device which is a much closer approximation of upcoming BB10 phones than the PB.
    PB OS 2.1 is coming. We're told that eventually, the Playbook will also be running BB10. A 4G Playbook will presumably be similar in architecture (except for screen size) to the touchscreen BB10 phones. A 4G Playbook will prove out 4G capabilities as well as additional/changed functionality as 2.1 evolves toward BB10.

I certainly don't see RIM dropping everything to focus on a tablet at this point. I'm also certain that when it's announced, there will be maybe a few hundred initially available and anything over that will go on backorder. I'm also fairly certain that the supply chain for the Playbook 4G is very similar to that used for the Playbook. Since the only real changes in the OS would be the 4G capabilities, there would be no development fork required for the OS.

I don't think it would make sense to make a 4G dev alpha device because a) they're scheduled to brick as soon as BB10 comes out and b) these devices were distributed similarly to when the Playbook was released - give us an app and we'll give you a Playbook. But this time around, the dev alpha devices went out first and BB10 upgrades to those devices come when you submit an approved app.

We're six months away from a BB10 phone. The only things that RIM will have to offer in the meantime will be OS2.1 (and maybe more updates) and a 4G Playbook. With all of the coming activity scheduled for Apple, Android, and Microsoft, it's nice to know that we'll have at least something to look forward to in the shorter term.
    07-09-12 07:56 PM
    Even if we assume that is true (I don't buy it, but will play along for argument's sake) why do you think the 4G PB will not suffer the same fate?
    Yeah, this is what I don't get. Does anyone think RIM is going to put out a serious or effective marketing push for the PB 4G? I personally doubt it. What can they tout about it? 4G? A bump in CPU speed?
    07-09-12 08:04 PM
    If we can get a few big time apps to launch along side of it, you know what they are, it will do well.
    07-09-12 08:05 PM
    RIM needs to market this thing and let people know how good/great it will be/is. If they don't market it properly with good, exciting ads and promotions, they are just wasting their time.
    07-09-12 08:41 PM
    I think their going to push this in enterprises, maybe even offer it for free for big customers. Judging by my RIM rep's email It sounds like i'm going to get a free one.

I think they would be smart to not make a crap load of these, produce small batches then put the rest on back-order, imagine the headlines "RIMM 4G TABLE SELLS OUT!" lol.
    07-10-12 07:32 AM
    Correction bad marketing killed the wifi playbook. The first os wasn't as bad as sites like BGR made it out to be. Like I said bad marketing killed the playbook. Even a year later its still a competitive 7 inch tablet.
    Uhm yes it was. Think about it as someone who doesn't own a BlackBerry phone. How useful would the PlayBook be with it's first OS? If you couldn't use bridge; it was honestly a $500 internet browser. Do you really think it deserved glowing reviews when it first launched? You are living in a fantasy world if you don't think the PlayBook deserved the negative reviews it got.

And you really think it was just the bad marketing that killed the PlayBook? It may not of helped any, but I'm pretty sure that missing critical features for the first 11 months of its life played a huge role in the killing of the PlayBook.
    Last edited by berryboba; 07-10-12 at 11:04 AM.
    Witmen likes this.
    07-10-12 11:00 AM
    Uhm yes it was. Think about it as someone who doesn't own a BlackBerry phone. How useful would the PlayBook be with it's first OS? If you couldn't use bridge; it was honestly a $500 internet browser. Do you really think it deserved glowing reviews when it first launched? You are living in a fantasy world if you don't think the PlayBook deserved the negative reviews it got.

And you really think it was just the bad marketing that killed the PlayBook? It may not of helped any, but I'm pretty sure that missing critical features for the first 11 months of its life played a huge role in the killing of the PlayBook.
    So true. I think some people have forgotten just how bad the PlayBook really was when it first launched. Reviews were written for it at a time when it was simply crap. You couldn't even delete icons without getting popups for an OS update. I remember seeing the threads here everyday from excited people who thought they were the first to notice a new PlayBook update. The only good apps available were Need for Speed and Tetris, all of the others were utter crap written so developers could get a free PlayBook. If you didn't own a BB phone there was no email, no contacts, no PIM functions at all. Which meant that even a 10 year old Palm Pilot had more uses than a bridgeless PlayBook at launch. The only good thing about it was the browser, and even it has issues still to this day. Seriously, how long does it take for RIM to add the ability to edit bookmarks? People have been asking for that since the PlayBook first launched. At the time I was angry at all of the "bias" reviews. Now I just sit back in disbelief that Mike and Jim really thought the PlayBook was ready for prime time when it launched.
    07-10-12 11:41 AM
    Please forgive my naivet, but what does "NFC" stand for?

Too many TLA's!!
    07-10-12 11:42 AM
    NFC = Near Field Communications

It isn't very useful right now though.
    lcgoldman likes this.
    07-10-12 11:44 AM
    I see tablets being used from time to time in the work force. That being said, I hope RIM isn't jumping in way too late with this one. I very much want them to succeed but sadly it seems they're always playing catch up.
    07-10-12 11:50 AM
    I think it should end up being called the PlayBook 2.0 or something to that effect, as 4g is not the only addition. Anyway, if it's priced well it should do alright up here in Canada. Don't get me wrong, most Canadians don't even realized RIMM is Canadian but people simply don't hate it as much here, I've seen almost exactly the same number of PlayBooks as iPads in fact, even if that's not an accurate representation of there ratio.
    07-10-12 12:20 PM
    I'm getting one when they come out.

Why, cause of long road trips with no wifi. Tethering and bridging can be a pain.
    07-10-12 12:22 PM
    800 iPads in our Enterprise (50% corporate purchased) and zero Playbooks. We also do not buy 3G iPads as we procure MiFis which can support more than one device....

For us, the 4G Playbook will not sell more than the legacy Playbook.
    07-10-12 12:26 PM
    800 iPads in our Enterprise (50% corporate purchased) and zero Playbooks. We also do not buy 3G iPads as we procure MiFis which can support more than one device....

For us, the 4G Playbook will not sell more than the legacy Playbook.
    What do 800 employee's do with their ipads? this is a serious question, not a snarky one.
    07-10-12 12:56 PM
    here is 5 reasons why I feel the 4G will fail and keep in mind this is my PERSONAL FEELINGS...some might agree and others won't

1)market is already saturated... there is already a bunch of playbooks out there that people have purchased which they have already invested in so why on earth would they buy the 4G which cost more? which leads me to my next point

2)nobody can or will justify paying almost double the price for a 4g playbook when their current playbook can do everything the 4g can do with sofware update and tethering also because of the poor hardware update which leads me to my next point

3)hardware upgrade is poor! 1 ghz upto 1.5 is sad! you have to give it something that will draw people and make them interested in with a wow factor!!

4)people wont feel the need to buy a 4G when we can already tether to any smart phone and use the data from that, no one wants to pay 2 data plans

5) very unstable future for rim and I just saw on the news that all the investors are unhappy...sorry to say but it looks very grim for rim...

anyways thats my views
    Last edited by beman39; 07-10-12 at 10:25 PM.
    07-10-12 10:16 PM
    here is 5 reasons why I feel the 4G will fail and keep in mind this is my PERSONAL FEELINGS...some might agree and others won't

1)market is already saturated... there is already a bunch of playbooks out there that people have purchased which they have already invested in so why on earth would they buy the 4G which cost more? which leads me to my next point

2)nobody can or will justify paying almost double the price for a 4g playbook when their current playbook can do everything the 4g can do with sofware update and tethering also because of the poor hardware update which leads me to my next point

3)hardware upgrade is poor! 1 ghz upto 1.5 is sad! you have to give it something that will draw people and make them interested in with a wow factor!!

4)people wont feel the need to buy a 4G when we can already tether to any smart phone and use the data from that, no one wants to pay 2 data plans

5) very unstable future for rim and I just saw on the news that all the investors are unhappy...sorry to say but it looks very grim for rim...

anyways thats my views
    I don't see this failing, i just see it being successful in certain area's, specifically the enterprise.

1. I don't see many if any consumers that would want this, I see it targeted at enterprises

2. Enterprises can justify it. People don't want to have to tether their phone

3. I agree with ya

4. I disagree again, in the enterprise all our ipads are 3G ... all with active data plans, that's paired with their blackberry

5. Investors have been unhappy for over a year, nothing new....things will get better.
    07-11-12 06:44 AM
    4g playbook is for the people that dont have a blackberry phone. also it opens the door to have cell phone carriers to push it
    07-22-12 08:33 AM
    As a BlackBerry user who's really very happy with Bridge, and living in a country where 4G is not readily available, it would be solely the internals/processor bump-up which make me buy a next-gen PB.
    I will probably still do so, as my girlfriend has designs on this one, but I most definitely wouldn't put a sim in it.

Would rather buy one with only the bluetooth & wifi radios in it to be fair...
    07-22-12 09:32 AM
    Yes there are benefits of a 4G PlayBook but I don't think it will sell all that great because BlackBerry didn't sell a lot of regular PlayBooks. I enjoy the current PlayBook but the new 4G will not cause me to run out to upgrade.
    Hopefully I am wrong and the new PlayBook out sells the Ipad.
    07-22-12 09:40 AM
    Constant connectivity is the key here. I have a 3G iPad 2. Use it every day even though I'm in the office and my laptop is there and wifi is available. It's just the convenience of just switching the iPad on and being able to instantly browse a site, reply a mail or even speak on Skype without needing to bridge to another device.

I have contemplated of purchasing the Playbook but am holding off until the 4G Playbook is launched. I can't imagine having a tablet with wifi only as I prefer to have my tablet constantly connected to the internet.
    Bridge is completely seamless, invisible and automatic. You only need to set it up once, and then you never need to touch it unless you wipe one of the bridged devices.
    BLu likes this.
    07-22-12 09:54 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD