My skepticism about RIM investing more in the PB is well documented on these boards. Having said that, I have seen, over the past nine months, a harsh disdain for data versions of tablets. Many PB supporters have been extremely vocal about the absurdity of a data plan tablet due to the ease of tethering.

We also know that the vast majority of iPads sold are wifi only. Personally, I like to have a persistent connection for all of my devices. I realize I am the exception to the rule. I would think that adding a data plan to a tablet would bring you fewer customers, not more.

With that in mind, who's buying the expected HSPA+ PB, and why?
    01-30-12 09:35 AM
    i dont see anything wrong with hspa+ playbooks. Just a bigger selling point for those that do not own a blackberry handset. This will also allow cell phone providers to push these playbooks out. Also this puts a foot in the door for those that like the playbook for its size, yet they are not convinced with blackberry handsets. In the end, I personally think its designed to sway people to the "new RIM". I think its a smart move, apple did not get to where they are without improving on products. Got to invest money to make money, improving a product to allow more attraction to it....is a great investment in my eyes.
    DanielLui1 likes this.
    01-30-12 10:28 AM
    OK, but if fewer people are attracted to data devices than wifi devices, who is this supposed to attract? Those who want such devices seem to be a pretty small niche of which I happen to be one. There is also the question of what this will do to pricing. I suspect this is a play to get carriers to subsidize. That hasn't worked for anyone so far.
    01-30-12 10:39 AM
    i see how some people may buy it and there is definitely a market for such tablets with a 3g antenna but for me i will just stick to the wifi playbook since i can just tether it if i want data
    caper001 likes this.
    01-30-12 11:30 AM
    IMO, another feature to look forward in HSPA+ would be (video) calling feature.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-30-12 11:37 AM
    I think the point of the PlayBooks with a cellular radio in them is the carriers will begin offering them at a discount when a data contract is signed. In the current form, there is no incentive for the carriers to promote or sell them.
    VerryBestr and NaijaBerry like this.
    01-30-12 11:39 AM
    For me, a 3g/4g mobile tablet would be great as long as i could still bridge.

This is because i would love to tether whilst on my native network, but use the mobile signal on a different mobile provider for the pb when roaming to reduce my costs.

I'd be tempted to jump on one that's for sure!
    DanielLui1 likes this.
    01-30-12 11:43 AM
    If it was a GSM device with a SIM card slot, sold unlocked, for say, $150.00 more then its wi-fi equivalent, I could see buying one for overseas travel where wi-fi may not be a readily available option.
    01-30-12 11:48 AM
    When HP launched their first WebOS phone, they decided to go after the people who wanted a smartphone just like the Pre, only a lot smaller. This initiative brought us the HP Veer. The market still hasn't stopped laughing. Were there some people who wanted such a phone? You bet, but very few.

I understand that RIM wants to expand beyond the base, but they have yet to really appeal to the base. Their efforts might be more useful there. If they do want to reach the masses, why focus on a feature that the masses have demonstrated they do not really want? Why go after the smaller piece of the pie?

As for the non-BB appeal, I don't see it. Isn't 2.0 supposed to bring all the features to that device that previously required a BB? How does 3G make that more attractive. Who is the market just dying to buy a PB, but are waiting for it to get more expensive with an added data plan.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 01-30-12 at 11:57 AM.
    01-30-12 11:53 AM
    i dont see enough of an incentive since I own a 9900. Specially with the hot spot option on my phone so, i will be keeping my current playbook.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-30-12 11:54 AM
    dandbj13 - they will continue to sell the wifi only version, adding the 3g to the mix expands their market. I can see businesses using the 3g version for field support techs as well as others uses.
    01-30-12 12:20 PM
    I bought the PB for two reasons.

1) i thought it was AWESOME

2) i dont need 3g data plans (or bills), and i dont even have a BB

Fro some people wifi is good enough and adding 3g to increase the price may be a turn off... it also sort of takes away from the importance/coolness of using the bridge.

I will be interested to see how this unfolds
    caper001 likes this.
    01-30-12 12:58 PM
    You guys. Don't you see what is happening. Rim is going to create a hspa+ pb so that they can beta test the software so that QNX phones will be more polished. Look at it as an investment Plus, they will get more QNX devices with mobile data into the hands of consumers by slashing prices heavily.It as an investment.

In all seriousness, I think RIM is just throwing money out of the window by creating this hspa+ model. That I am sure of. They are creating a niche product for a niche market (which is those of us who love blackberry, which believe it or not includes me). However, what I am not sure about is the impact if RIM does not release a 4G model. Still mulling over that...because not having a 4g device might give tech reviewers more ammunition and a chance to create negative press...anyways, those are my initial thoughts.
    01-30-12 01:36 PM
    I don't want one, because I don't want to pay for another data plan. I already spend $162 a month for mobile phones. This is for people with real money, not me.
    dimm0k, WaelIT_ and aneftp like this.
    01-30-12 01:46 PM
    is it not a LTE playbook come spring? Thorsten stated in a interview last week.
    01-30-12 01:49 PM
    is it not a LTE playbook come spring? Thorsten stated in a interview last week.
    Oh no, not an LTE playbook. Does it have even less native software than the current PB? Where does RIM do it's market research? Or conversely, who internally dreams up these initiatives? Jobs must be laughing...
    01-30-12 02:16 PM
    dandbj13 - they will continue to sell the wifi only version, adding the 3g to the mix expands their market. I can see businesses using the 3g version for field support techs as well as others uses.
    We already deploy PBs in the field but won't use a radio version because our security is tied to the phone associated with it. One of the reasons we chose them, as well as not needing another data plan.
    01-30-12 02:52 PM
    With that in mind, who's buying the expected HSPA+ PB, and why?
    corporations n business travelers for obvious reasons.
    01-30-12 03:09 PM
    We already deploy PBs in the field but won't use a radio version because our security is tied to the phone associated with it. One of the reasons we chose them, as well as not needing another data plan.
    I was think more for techs that aren't issued phones.
    01-30-12 03:48 PM
    Our company will be sticking with the WiFi version only.
    01-30-12 03:53 PM
    Just imagine if they had put this development and retooling cost into a slight processor bump, a price drop, and serious R&D of a killer business app as GarageBand is for creation on the iPad. Now that would have been a relaunch.
    01-30-12 04:05 PM
    i got mobile hotspot on my phone (company paid for), so i have no need for the upgraded model
    01-30-12 04:22 PM
    Def not me since everywhere I go already have wifi hotspots so I wouldn't see the point in buying another one just for data service.
    01-30-12 05:50 PM
    Business should like 3G+ playbooks. I doubt the market will be flooded with 3G+ playbooks.

Will it have the ability to make calls Some posters on this forum state they barely use their phones when paired with the pb. A person could use an ear piece and make video calls.

Maybe carriers will have special pricing for phone + 3G+ playbook customers
    01-30-12 06:21 PM
    I have no interest what so ever in a 3g PB. The bridge was why I chose the PB in the first place. Of course, I'm sure there are some people out there who are burdened with way too much disposable income, but I am not one of those people.
    01-30-12 07:48 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD