03-02-12 11:06 PM
44 12
tools
    Who is using the dock for their playbooks? exactly how does it charge? is there a plug in or does it charge magnetically? i wanted to pick one up when they were on sale at Staples, but the shelfs were empty.
    12-28-11 10:19 AM
    It has a magnetic port and the PB sits on the dock. Its safer as there is no plugging cords into the PB ports, which can sometimes damage the port itself.
    Hard luck you couldnt pick up when the dock was at $13 at staples, the retail is $40-60.
    12-28-11 10:23 AM
    There is an A/C plug that has a male connector for the wall and a female connector for the back of the dock. Seating of the PB is where the magnet comes into play. You just put the PB into the slot and the magnet ensures that the charging connector makes contact.
    12-28-11 10:26 AM
    I use one. It looks nice on the bedside table. You can get one a lot cheaper than retail on eBay (like I did).
    12-28-11 10:32 AM
    I use one every night, it comes in handy for viewing the time in the middle of the night not to mention the ease of charging. They are hard to find at Staples these days due to the "SALE". I wanted a second one, but all the Staples in my area were sold out
    12-28-11 10:39 AM
    the only issue is that sometimes not all thee magnetic connectors make contact. you can have the lightning bolt icon over the battery and still not be charging. I run Battery Guru and Ive had this issue maybe 10% of the time. Removing the PB and reseating it solves the problem. overall i like the dock, it looks nice and holds the PB at a good angle. I have mine next to my Torch cradle.
    12-28-11 10:53 AM
    I agree, I always use Battery Guru in conjunction with the pod, because even with the lightning bolt showing, it often isn't actually charging.

BG, on the other hand, will display "Power" instead of "Charge"---causing me to reseat the PB (and utter various expletives).
    12-28-11 11:24 AM
    Yep. I love Battery Guru
    12-28-11 11:44 AM
    Nice charging pod, if you can get at $30 or less (not worth more IMHO, as it's not a real dock, just for charging). But you have to take the Playbook out of any case in order to fit on pod.
    12-28-11 11:45 AM
    Try best buy an see if they will price-match staples: $13.00
    12-28-11 11:46 AM
    I have to ask why staples is selling them so cheap? I just picked up 2.
    12-28-11 12:23 PM
    I currently have both the charging dock and rapid wall charger. Both use the magnetic connector. Only problem i have with my charging dock is that i have to remove the playbook out of its case each time i want to use the dock. I dont have that problem with my rapid wall charger. So if you ask me i would recommend the rapid wall charger IMO.
    12-28-11 12:54 PM
    I use the BlackBerry Rapid Charging Dock both to charge the tablet as well as a stand to watch videos and movies and tutorials and lectures while seated at my desk.
    12-28-11 01:17 PM
    Although I have to remove my PlayBook from its leather journal case it does not bother me. I usually use the casing when I am around and about.

This is my current setup.
    12-28-11 01:17 PM
    I currently have both the charging dock and rapid wall charger. Both use the magnetic connector. Only problem i have with my charging dock is that i have to remove the playbook out of its case each time i want to use the dock. I dont have that problem with my rapid wall charger. So if you ask me i would recommend the rapid wall charger IMO.
    +1
    1.8A from Rapid Wall Charger charges the PB pretty fast, compared to connecting it to a computer's USB port
    12-28-11 01:23 PM
    quick question.

i just got the dock and wanted to know if leaving the PB on the dock would damage the battery. I can unplug the dock at the back to let the battery drain but is it safe to leave it on the dock after it is fully charged?

right now im transferring data over wifi so its on the dock
    03-01-12 10:11 PM
    You can leave it on the dock.
    The PB(like most modern electronics)monitors and varies the charge until full. Once the PB is at 100% it will cut the charge.
    03-01-12 10:20 PM
    Love it. Thats where my PlayBook sits when not in use. So PB is always charged up.
    Last edited by CairnsRock; 03-01-12 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Clarify
    03-01-12 10:25 PM
    Sometimes the left pin doesn't stick out far enough, and as said before this makes the playbook show as charging while it isn't. I often use a pin to push down on the gold colored contact and ensure the spring loaded mechanism makes it pop out far enough. If it looks like it's far out enough put the playbook on and tap the battery symbol. Wait a minute or two to see if it is actually charging. You will know this because charge percentage will go up.
    03-01-12 10:38 PM
    are we SURE about this... i dont want to mess up the battery bc it would be expensive to replace
    03-02-12 01:18 AM
    Bought mine from walmart for 30.
    03-02-12 01:45 AM
    i got mine in a bundle from shopping channel.

it was $30 more then JUST the PB and i got the HDMI cable, Convertible Case and Dock!!!
    03-02-12 01:55 AM
    Got 2 for $14.99 each when cdw had the pricing error/sale.

Haven't used them yet.
    03-02-12 02:00 AM
    rapid charger dock, I use it when I am playing flash games that needs keyboard control, i set up my playbook like mini laptop, or use it when I need to charge my playbook in short period of time
    03-02-12 02:10 AM
    I have one but I'm not using it at the moment because my PB is in a journal case and it's a bit of a pain to remove. It's a great accessory though.
    03-02-12 05:57 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD