Agreed OP. Its not like I need to videochat with everyone but I live away from home so I got my parents a PB at their current amazing prices so I could with and my siblings. I still have to get back to show them all the other amazing things it can do. I'm impressed they were able to figure out the videochat on their own.
    Cracklen likes this.
    06-02-12 02:14 AM
    All RIM has to do is to write an iOS an android version of Video Chat. Then there will be less need for Skype.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-02-12 03:18 AM
    I don't care if the RIM Video Chat can make coffee and cook my breakfast.
    If no one else can see it do this, it sucks at video chat.

No one I know has a PlayBook.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-02-12 06:28 AM
    We all need Skype (or anything that will give us ability of cross platform capability to communicate with each other). It’s 21st century. We need more than a pen and paper to stay in touch. Period.
    I’ve been trying to stay out of Skype threads for long, long time for now. It seems to be pointless to prove the obvious. There are too many false prophets around trying to convince all PB users not to deal with the reality around us and to stay in the bubble and to limit ourselves.
    I love to video chat with my wife, it’s awesome. But I would like to also chat and video chat with my family, friends and friend of my friends in Americas, Europe and Australia. But I cannot. And they can between each other thanks to Skype mostly.
    All you trolls claiming you don’t need Skype just stop trying to adapt others into such thinking. If you’ve been convinced that buying PB for all contacts you know in order to video communicate or simply put to just interact with each other is the solution for you (and you can afford it) just make RIM’s day and do it. Sales will benefit from it. It’s a good deed too.
    BB is a very good phone. PB is a very good tablet. PB Video Chat is a very good video application. But we’ve been secluded from the world claiming we need nothing else. Oh yes we do, we need a lot. For one we need to stay in front of the pack in order to succeed.
    That is why we need Skype on BB and PB. Period again.
    …and OP, it’s not you it’s just a title of this thread and some lads that cannot see we should develop and move forward.
    jeremycrews and chr1sg like this.
    06-02-12 07:54 AM
    Right.. Playbook's chat is awesome. I never miss yahoo or Skype chat and probably I dont require them anymore.
    06-02-12 08:26 AM
    Right.. Playbook's chat is awesome. I never miss yahoo or Skype chat and probably I dont require them anymore.
    So everyone you know owns a pb? Or you don't bother with people who don't? Personally I do use video chat but I'm not a dolt to think they don't need cross platform, mobile and computer, for it to be useful.
    jeremycrews likes this.
    06-02-12 08:57 AM
    I'm loving the Video Chat finally! I just today got my wife and stepdaughter both the 16 GB PlayBooks so we can all chat. I've had my 32 GB since day 1 but was never able to use it but just with my father. I work overnights in home health and she started a new job working out of town a lot so now we can always be in touch for free It really is a great feature of the PlayBook and I'm glad to finally have most of my family connected.
    06-11-12 12:06 AM
    Yes it's good. Is there any way to lock it without locking the entire machine? My toddler likes to call grandma.

Plus we also need skype.
    jeremycrews likes this.
    06-11-12 12:14 AM
    If RIM made a client that is easy to install on other devices/platforms, then we don't need skype. It's the same issue with Face Time. Alternatively, RIM should just do something like Airtime that allows cross-platform chat through a website...

In any event, a cross-platform video chat app is IMPERATIVE to the success of BB10 (whether it be a RIM solution, a Skype solution, or some other solution)...
    bungaboy and BBPandy like this.
    06-11-12 12:21 AM
    I'm looking forward to testing the Playbook Video Chat when I unwrap it on Wednesday (Birthday present). Unfortunately, everyone I know that uses Blackberry is with the phone only. I may ask one of you members to chat with me once just so I can see how it works. I'm really excited about taking it out of the box, charging it, udating, then using.
    06-11-12 02:14 AM
    Ok this whole Skype thing is getting STUPID!!!!

It is coming, it IS being integrated with the contact list and video chat (like FB, twitter and linkedin)

So everyone needs to shut up... it is coming, they are working with the new Cascades AND also waiting for BB10 OS to release to the Playbook

And this is info coming from my friend who is one of the network engineers working on the back end for things like Skype and BBM
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-11-12 09:18 AM
    Who needs Skype? Playbook video chat is amazing!

Me, because no-one else I know has a Playbook.
    Everyone I know has skype.
    so no matter how good the Pb chat is, it's total rubbish when you have to tango by yourself.
    Oh, and the post before mine here, citing "...it is coming..." don't help much does it.
    J
    06-11-12 10:28 AM
    Who needs Skype? Playbook video chat is amazing!

Me, because no-one else I know has a Playbook.
    Everyone I know has skype.
    so no matter how good the Pb chat is, it's total rubbish when you have to tango by yourself.
    Oh, and the post before mine here, citing "...it is coming..." don't help much does it.
    J
    it helps, because then it will SHUT people up!! I'm so tired of all you whiners that want want want want....
    06-11-12 10:29 AM
    I know one person who needs to shut up until it's time to say "I told you so".

Otherwise, hearing "It's coming, trust me. I have credible sources" for many many months now is getting a bit annoying.
    06-11-12 11:51 AM

Otherwise, hearing "It's coming, trust me. I have credible sources" for many many months now is getting a bit annoying.
    Yes it's been coming for more than a year now.

I guess it's not coming from Estonia then, but from a remote place in Siberia with no railway station.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-11-12 12:32 PM

hey, it's better then... WHEN is it coming and I WANT IT and Wahhh I'm a huge cry baby cause I have to use something else to skype...

They are rewriting in cascades right now and it will be available when BB10 OS releases for the PB
    06-11-12 12:40 PM

Well you are a bit kurt but I agree with the position that the same old "coming soon, inside sources tell me..." Song and dance is a waste of time. Consumers that bought the device in the beginning that saw the skype image on that (apparent) playbook mock-up home screen had a right to believe it was on the device.

Saying skype is there, buried in the code now, just not revealed yet, is not at all a wise move at this juncture. This is one app that is heavily sought after and if RIM has told us sms bridge texting is coming, then they would be exhilerated to announce skype was coming. Heck, they told us angry birds was coming... so the natural conclusion to be drawn from this is clear.

Again, how far has RIM's stock plunged? Let's hope Thorsten learn from dumb and dumber's mistakes, and give the consumer what they want so rim devices will sell.... and not say "We will give you what we do, and you will like it or shut up... Enjoy the third rate options and not the first choices out there." Kobo instead of kindle, playbook dead end chat and not skype, etc...
    Last edited by kb5zht; 06-11-12 at 01:41 PM.
    jeremycrews likes this.
    06-11-12 01:36 PM
    hey, it's better then... WHEN is it coming and I WANT IT and Wahhh I'm a huge cry baby cause I have to use something else to skype...

They are rewriting in cascades right now and it will be available when BB10 OS releases for the PB
    Until this is officially announced by RIM, you are just as part of the group that should SHUT UP. As far as I am concerned, you could just as well be a major shareholder wanting to see the stockprice go up by spreading 'inside' rumours.
    jeremycrews and kb5zht like this.
    06-11-12 02:08 PM
    Until this is officially announced by RIM, you are just as part of the group that should SHUT UP. As far as I am concerned, you could just as well be a major shareholder wanting to see the stockprice go up by spreading 'inside' rumours.
    why should I be the one to shut up? because I am tired of seeing all whiners on the back of the wahhhbulance that post here ever day... where's skype, I want skype, my life can't go on without skype...
    06-11-12 02:28 PM
    why should I be the one to shut up? because I am tired of seeing all whiners on the back of the wahhhbulance that post here ever day... where's skype, I want skype, my life can't go on without skype...
    And we are tired of all the 'whiners' complaining about the 'whiners' as they have all the so-called inside information ...... (it's just more promises)
    Where is your proof? Where is in in black and white?
    What makes you so special that we should believe you and stop complaining?
    06-11-12 02:37 PM
    And we are tired of all the 'whiners' complaining about the 'whiners' as they have all the so-called inside information ...... (it's just more promises)
    Why must you be so bitter? And the information is from my ex gf's brother, and he's smart enough not to put it in black and white for legal reasons... everything he tells me are over beers. Get a friend who works in the right department and they may just spill the beans for you... over some beers
    06-11-12 02:40 PM
    and before you say it... he and I are fairly close, he works in Waterloo but comes home to Toronto every weekend to spend the weekends with his fiancee and friends
    06-11-12 02:42 PM
    and before you say it... he and I are fairly close, he works in Waterloo but comes home to Toronto every weekend to spend the weekends with his fiancee and friends
    why didn't you said this sooner! LMAO
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-11-12 at 02:52 PM.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-11-12 02:48 PM
    ... over some beers
    I all depends how many beers you had.
    06-11-12 02:55 PM
    Skype is a must have for bb10 to survive. RIM knows this so I am sure the rumors of it being integrated into video chat are probably true. Who needs Skype? Rim needs Skype #fact
    ^x10....
    06-11-12 04:48 PM
125 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD