Today its the 2nd month i have with my PlayBook and as a heavy BlackBerry user i must say this is what i needed. Totally fits in my daily life and it is the perfect partner for my BB Torch specially on college, and pretty much everywhere, i take it to most places (i got a fancy case lol). Now, lets get real.. I love BlackBerry and BB7 devices are awesome but thats what BB6 needed to be. These arent great times for RIM but i think this Tablet which has been sold a lot due to the discounts and i've seen loads of people with PlayBooks will help RIM.. When OS2 comes i know it will bring lots of features most of us havent seen yet and arent available on the OS2 beta but on RIM's internal builds... So, who else thinks like me this Tablet will help RIM stay on the market through this transition to BB10?
    I guess my only concern is that perception can become reality. There's at least one negative major article a day about the company. This morning the NYTimes named the R.I.M and Netflix CEOs the world worst CEOs of 2011. Even if these things aren't true, they have an impact on perception. And sometimes, these things can be hard to turn around no matter what you try.

Part of me hopes they announce something at CES in Vegas next month, but another part of me remembers that Palm's Pre was product of the year at CES 2009 and it's now extinct. I grabbed the Palm Pre as soon as it launched, and would always whip it out when someone bragged about their iPhone. I remember that it was Palm that innovated the touchscreen PDA's. Then the Treos(any one remember those? I had every model. My friends and I used to 'beam' mssgs to each other across the room). Now others have taken a technology that Palm pretty much put on the map and did to Palm what Cro-Magnon did to the Neanderthal and they were powerless to stop it. Palm innovated, but something failed.

Palm made the mistake of saying 'We're not trying to be the product for everyone. We're for the business owners and people who are serious about organization." This is what I'm afraid BB is doing. Unintentionally shunning the part of the market that thinks only their parents carry BB's.

BB has an 11% share of the cell phone market and the majority of that is Enterprise. They need to take off the suits and ties, and walk around the office in jeans and tees for a month or two.

Change is hard for some some companies. Many don't adapt to change fast enough to survive.

Apple has launched a new product every year since '2007. The odd part is that most of their new stuff is only an improvement or slight upgrade on something they've already put out. BUT, the perception is that Apple is always innovating, upgrading, or improving on their product line.

R.I.M needs to work on image repairing while as much as working on it's product lines. I have two PBs now and snagging a 3rd of a guy from Craigslist tomorrow morn. I'm helping a friend build an infrastructure for his small start-up and suggested that he and his small mgmt team use the PB for networking and other biz related stuff. They are already using BBs for cell service. But he was leaning towards the iPad.

Imagine what a major FOOL I will look like if R.I.M goe belly-up by Summer.

Disclaimer: I own and an iPad2 and I'm honestly eagerly awaiting the new iPad 3. I also own a PS3 and an XBox. Have for years. I don't think liking one product means you have to hate all else.

Cheers!
    12-29-11 12:41 AM
    I guess my only concern is that perception can become reality. There's at least one negative major article a day about the company. This morning the NYTimes named the R.I.M and Netflix CEOs the world worst CEOs of 2011. Even if these things aren't true, they have an impact on perception. And sometimes, these things can be hard to turn around no matter what you try.

Part of me hopes they announce something at CES in Vegas next month, but another part of me remembers that Palm's Pre was product of the year at CES 2009 and it's now extinct. I grabbed the Palm Pre as soon as it launched, and would always whip it out when someone bragged about their iPhone. I remember that it was Palm that innovated the touchscreen PDA's. Then the Treos(any one remember those? I had every model. My friends and I used to 'beam' mssgs to each other across the room). Now others have taken a technology that Palm pretty much put on the map and did to Palm what Cro-Magnon did to the Neanderthal and they were powerless to stop it. Palm innovated, but something failed.

Palm made the mistake of saying 'We're not trying to be the product for everyone. We're for the business owners and people who are serious about organization." This is what I'm afraid BB is doing. Unintentionally shunning the part of the market that thinks only their parents carry BB's.

BB has an 11% share of the cell phone market and the majority of that is Enterprise. They need to take off the suits and ties, and walk around the office in jeans and tees for a month or two.

Change is hard for some some companies. Many don't adapt to change fast enough to survive.

Apple has launched a new product every year since '2007. The odd part is that most of their new stuff is only an improvement or slight upgrade on something they've already put out. BUT, the perception is that Apple is always innovating, upgrading, or improving on their product line.

R.I.M needs to work on image repairing while as much as working on it's product lines. I have two PBs now and snagging a 3rd of a guy from Craigslist tomorrow morn. I'm helping a friend build an infrastructure for his small start-up and suggested that he and his small mgmt team use the PB for networking and other biz related stuff. They are already using BBs for cell service. But he was leaning towards the iPad.

Imagine what a major FOOL I will look like if R.I.M goe belly-up by Summer.

Disclaimer: I own and an iPad2 and I'm honestly eagerly awaiting the new iPad 3. I also own a PS3 and an XBox. Have for years. I don't think liking one product means you have to hate all else.

Cheers!
    RIM won't go belly-up by summer... What you have to worry about is what people have been clamoring for: new CEO's. Instead of letting Blackberry 10 run its course, a new CEO will kill the project, making the assumption that all previous decisions were wrong.

Look what happened to Nokia. MeeGo was well received when released on the N9 but it was already killed by the new CEO. Look what happened to HP. New CEO killed Palm... and all hardware, while attempting to turn HP into a software company with the purchase of a 10 billion dollar software house.

For us Playbook users, the worst thing to happen would be the changing of the guard.
    peter9477 likes this.
    12-29-11 03:15 AM
    RIM won't go belly-up by summer... What you have to worry about is what people have been clamoring for: new CEO's. Instead of letting Blackberry 10 run its course, a new CEO will kill the project, making the assumption that all previous decisions were wrong.

Look what happened to Nokia. MeeGo was well received when released on the N9 but it was already killed by the new CEO. Look what happened to HP. New CEO killed Palm... and all hardware, while attempting to turn HP into a software company with the purchase of a 10 billion dollar software house.

For us Playbook users, the worst thing to happen would be the changing of the guard.
    Possibly, but if you were a share-holder(not a user) and you watched 75% of your value vanish into thin air over the course of a year, would you still be so inclined to let Captain(s) that ran your ship aground stay at the helm?

New CEOs are usually parachuted in to restore investor confidence. We make see a point where investors demand that they go.

I saw this same thing happen when I worked for Morgan Stanley. We watched our stock price drop from a high of $101 per share to a low of nearly $22. This included the company stock in our 401k and pension plans.

It's hard to lose that much and convince folks that everything is under control.
    12-29-11 06:44 AM
    I have found owning a playbook has made me fire up the laptop a lot less. When my term is up for my bold in two years, I hope the bb10 devices will have matured enough with solid capabilities. I have seen GM do same as RIM. GM made far too many similar vehicles under their umbrella of companies which were practically the same car. Toyota much like apple focused less on quantity and focused on quality and a smaller line up of vehicles. RIM needs to do like a single curve, bold or torch model and nail them each and every release. Multiple devices of each kind i feel hinders solid innovation.
    12-29-11 07:00 AM
    Back to the OPs question. Again yes, all the people around the world that will get there first look at QNX, this will pay a dividen. 2.0.0.6149 is ready for prime time I believe. The pieces are in place.
    12-29-11 07:47 AM
    RIM has to keep people's interest in the PB and QNX for approx. the next 10 months. The only way they have been able to successfully do that was to have a big fire sale/discount in which they are losing money.

How long do you think they can continue to sell the Playbook and continuously lose money? Do you think consumers will jump back in on the Playbook once the price goes back up?

Maybe the new OS will help, but the reputation/perception for the Playbook is already out there, just like it is for their phones. So, they will really need to impress people again.

Besides, in the next 10 months or so, they will have to deal with the new Android powered phones and tablets, possibly iPad 3, iPhone 5, and a newer version of the Kindle Fire, all of which current models are selling pretty good, except maybe some of the Android powered tablets.

With no new phones and possibly no new Playbook coming out in the meantime, it doesn't look good for them.

War Is All We Know
    12-29-11 08:16 AM
    RIM has to keep people's interest in the PB and QNX for approx. the next 10 months. The only way they have been able to successfully do that was to have a big fire sale/discount in which they are losing money.

How long do you think they can continue to sell the Playbook and continuously lose money? Do you think consumers will jump back in on the Playbook once the price goes back up?

Maybe the new OS will help, but the reputation/perception for the Playbook is already out there, just like it is for their phones. So, they will really need to impress people again.

Besides, in the next 10 months or so, they will have to deal with the new Android powered phones and tablets, possibly iPad 3, iPhone 5, and a newer version of the Kindle Fire, all of which current models are selling pretty good, except maybe some of the Android powered tablets.

With no new phones and possibly no new Playbook coming out in the meantime, it doesn't look good for them.

War Is All We Know

10 months of stagnation is what your selling. Nothing, no improvment. Not eveyone is blind to everything RIM has accomplished in the last year.
    12-29-11 08:37 AM

War Is All We Know
    this is all assuming that us economy will be in good shape but honestly we are looking at second big recession in the us in 2012. i think people will not be able to afford all these expensive gadgets from apple. price will be the king. rim can redesign playbook to make it less expensive to produce. playbook does not need premium parts. it needs solid os and $199 price tag to succeed.
    12-29-11 08:53 AM
    this is all assuming that us economy will be in good shape but honestly we are looking at second big recession in the us in 2012. i think people will not be able to afford all these expensive gadgets from apple. price will be the king. rim can redesign playbook to make it less expensive to produce. playbook does not need premium parts. it needs solid os and $199 price tag to succeed.
    I'm thinking the Kindle Fire, with all its faults, and other Android powered tablets will fill that void. Kindle Fire already is it looks like.

Also, I doubt RIM is planning on releasing a cheaper Playbook model but I could be wrong. I don't see a simple redesign knocking its price down from $499 to $199 and still making a profit for RIM.

War Is All We Know
    12-29-11 08:59 AM
    Back to the OPs question. Again yes, all the people around the world that will get there first look at QNX, this will pay a dividen. 2.0.0.6149 is ready for prime time I believe. The pieces are in place.
    I don't think anyone strayed from the original question. A nuanced question get a nuanced answer.

QNX is an operating system. Not a tangible product. If QNX is what it's all about, then RIM should license it and forget about phones all altogether.
    12-29-11 09:01 AM
    It is easy, and there is nothing problematic about it. But if you are too lazy, then I understand.
    "LAZY!!!". Far from, I just don't have any time to look/search for "how to's". This PB is cool, but it not my hobby, I have bikes, boats and jeep for hobby... I enjoy spending free time playing with and working on them....
    I do realize that some individuals have more of a technology hobby, gaming with PS3/xbox and know everything about every device they own (my kid fits this description) but that is not me.
    peter9477 and kevinnugent like this.
    12-29-11 09:08 AM

War Is All We Know
    I don't think anyone strayed from the original question. A nuanced question get a nuanced answer.

QNX is an operating system. Not a tangible product. If QNX is what it's all about, then RIM should license it and forget about phones all altogether.
    History shows the two work well together, OS and hardware. Its RIMs history aswell. This company is in deep but the future is near.
    12-29-11 09:14 AM
    Well I DO! The PB OS is the basis for the OS on the BB10 phones, so they will play well with each other. I'm ready for OS 2 .... can't wait till it rolls out.
    Me too. Brilliant kit for businessmen apart from the missing spellchecker.
    12-29-11 09:39 AM
    10 months of stagnation is what your selling. Nothing, no improvment. Not eveyone is blind to everything RIM has accomplished in the last year.
    No one I s blind to what RIM has accomplished, but neither should they be blind to what they HAVEN'T done either.

Pointing out these things should be a part of the open dialogue. After all, we say these things, and most of us HAVE still gone out and spent our hard-earned cash on the PB at least. I just picked up my third one this morn.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 12-29-11 at 10:43 AM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-29-11 09:41 AM
    RIM must be doing a boatload of work on BIS and BES to make them work with PB OS2. This work is bound to make the launch of BB10 phones smoother.

They must also be learning lots about QNX by building and enhancing the Playbook.

I think we will all have a much clearer idea about how this work is going at the end of February when OS2 (hopefully!) launches. I am really looking forward to a blinking LED on my PB and it becoming a "Crackbook".
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-29-11 09:53 AM
    Can't they do both? Blackberry phones are a solid product too! Had my phone for some time now and I have never had a problem with it, in fact since I keep it in a case it still looks brand new. RIM has a hugh global market that isn't going anywhere. When the citizens of Egypt overthrew Muhammad Hosni Sayyid Mubarak using the social media do you think they were using iPhones? Nope most of those people were carrying Blackberry phones. RIM will be just fine...
    Dapper37 likes this.
    12-29-11 10:11 AM
    Can't they do both? Blackberry phones are a solid product too! Had my phone for some time now and I have never had a problem with it, in fact since I keep it in a case it still looks brand new. RIM has a hugh global market that isn't going anywhere. When the citizens of Egypt overthrew Muhammad Hosni Sayyid Mubarak using the social media do you think they were using iPhones? Nope most of those people were carrying Blackberry phones. RIM will be just fine...
    Possibly you misunderstood my post. I think they can do both. Though, admittedly, my interest is only in the PB.

My intent was to point out that if R.I.M is betting the company on QNX then maybe that is where they should focus their efforts. As they won't launch a new phone for possibly 11 months.

Example, Google owns Motorola and provides the operating system for their phones. But Google also makes a boat-load of cash and increases market penetration by licensing Android OS to other smart phone makers.

Possibly, R.I.M could use this same tactic to promote the QNX. Maybe sign and exclusive agreement with HTC. HTC has watched it's market share fall due to patent law suits and HTC was also the biggest loser when Sprint launched the iPhone here in the US. This could get a QNX OS phone into the hands of those who who not have considered a BB.

Just throwing things out there.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-29-11 10:39 AM
    Sort of agree. I am no programmer. But it seems to me that with QNX already being used on many platforms, isn't there a way to go the next step with stand-alone modules that run on top of QNX, and provide the middleware atop which BB10 apps could run? In other words, given that some cars, etc., run QNX, shouldn't it become easy for those cars to run BB10 apps too, and take advantage? Hopefully that is one of the things that RIM is working towards.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-29-11 11:00 AM
    Possibly, but if you were a share-holder(not a user) and you watched 75% of your value vanish into thin air over the course of a year, would you still be so inclined to let Captain(s) that ran your ship aground stay at the helm?

New CEOs are usually parachuted in to restore investor confidence. We make see a point where investors demand that they go.

I saw this same thing happen when I worked for Morgan Stanley. We watched our stock price drop from a high of $101 per share to a low of nearly $22. This included the company stock in our 401k and pension plans.

It's hard to lose that much and convince folks that everything is under control.
    If I were worried about RIM, which I am, I would look at what the current CEO's are doing and see if I agree with their present decisions. If so, I let them and the projects proceed. The past can't be fixed. Hopefully they learned something.

Too many companies panic and hire a new CEO, who immediately jettisons all previous decisions without much analysis, downsize, and take the company in some new random direction. Added to that, the new CEO is usually just another CEO from somewhere else who was sold to the Board as someone experienced because he/she learned from previous mistakes.

I like the direction of going with QNX/BB10. I'm disappointed that the new phones will take longer than expected, but too many cries of "half-baked" Playbook should make them make sure they have a solid product. (They can't afford a strategy like Microsoft, releasing a bunch of defective Xboxes to beat Sony to market. Sure it worked, but they can't afford such a luxury.) I don't like the multitude of models (in one market), which confuse customers and make it difficult to realize economy of production scale. The latter issue is the only item I've yet to see them change on.

OT: I would guess that your time at Morgan Stanley wasn't as someone who dealt with stocks, as you would know stock value is based on perception, not actual company worth. Dotcom bust would have been your first insight into that.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-29-11 11:49 AM
    Possibly you misunderstood my post. I think they can do both. Though, admittedly, my interest is only in the PB.

My intent was to point out that if R.I.M is betting the company on QNX then maybe that is where they should focus their efforts. As they won't launch a new phone for possibly 11 months.

Example, Google owns Motorola and provides the operating system for their phones. But Google also makes a boat-load of cash and increases market penetration by licensing Android OS to other smart phone makers.

Possibly, R.I.M could use this same tactic to promote the QNX. Maybe sign and exclusive agreement with HTC. HTC has watched it's market share fall due to patent law suits and HTC was also the biggest loser when Sprint launched the iPhone here in the US. This could get a QNX OS phone into the hands of those who who not have considered a BB.

Just throwing things out there.
    Google doesn't own Motorola yet. That's still going through regulatory approval.

Google provides Android as open source, i.e. "free". They still make their money with advertising. Android provides them with a platform to advertise. They don't make a "boat-load" from licensing.

RIM would need to get BB10 out first and prove it is solid and viable even before some third-party smartphone maker would invest in a license. Android is already "free" and if webOS does go open source, it's a cheaper gamble: "free", source, no competition from OS developer, existing user base, existing ecosystem, ...
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-29-11 12:08 PM
    If I were worried about RIM, which I am, I would look at what the current CEO's are doing and see if I agree with their present decisions. If so, I let them and the projects proceed. The past can't be fixed. Hopefully they learned something.

Too many companies panic and hire a new CEO, who immediately jettisons all previous decisions without much analysis, downsize, and take the company in some new random direction. Added to that, the new CEO is usually just another CEO from somewhere else who was sold to the Board as someone experienced because he/she learned from previous mistakes.

I like the direction of going with QNX/BB10. I'm disappointed that the new phones will take longer than expected, but too many cries of "half-baked" Playbook should make them make sure they have a solid product. (They can't afford a strategy like Microsoft, releasing a bunch of defective Xboxes to beat Sony to market. Sure it worked, but they can't afford such a luxury.) I don't like the multitude of models (in one market), which confuse customers and make it difficult to realize economy of production scale. The latter issue is the only item I've yet to see them change on.

OT: I would guess that your time at Morgan Stanley wasn't as someone who dealt with stocks, as you would know stock value is based on perception, not actual company worth. Dotcom bust would have been your first insight into that.

First, nice post.

Myself, I would pay more attention to the methodology behind the CEO's decision than the decision itself. If it seemed that the reasoning was the same I'd find myself questioning the decision.

It's what's known as the CEO "shell game". Sadly, some CEO's really become so detached that they honestly don't understand why things are not going the way they planned. They're human. No one expects them to be Oracles, but when those outside of the board room see things that those inside the board room don't, it could be a signal that something wrong. Think of baseball. The fans in the stadium can see that a pitcher's lost his stuff during a game and start screaming "pull him". But the mgr is looking with a completely different set of eyes. The fans see balls, strikes and men on base. The mgr's worried about pitch count, who he has in the bullpen and when his guy is set to throw again. Think about how often fans call for a Mgr's head while still cheering the players who actually lost the game. Baseball became a business and stopped being a "sport" a long ago.

You're dead on re: economies of scale. I'm not a BB phone guy. I just want my tablet to be a tablet. I firmly believe licensing QNX to other handset and tablet makers could offset some losses and allow them to funnel more $s towards R&D AND maybe squeeze some market share away from Google.

OT - I was an Analyst at Morgan. More specifically I would travel the U.S. speaking to Morgan Advisors about investments in the U.S. Pension and Retirement Markets.

Before Morgan Stanley, I was an analyst with JP Morgan Chase. Working in New Product Development.

Yes, I know that stock price is more about perception than balance sheets.

I believe that R.I.M can change this perception by putting QNX into the hands of more users than just those who purchase BB devices.

Mazel Tov!
    12-29-11 12:50 PM

RIM would need to get BB10 out first and prove it is solid and viable even before some third-party smartphone maker would invest in a license. Android is already "free" and if webOS does go open source, it's a cheaper gamble: "free", source, no competition from OS developer, existing user base, existing ecosystem, ...
    Most of the journals don't see any issue with the Google/Motorola deal and are saying that, behind the scenes, the regulators looked closely back over the summer and didn't find anything blatantly wrong with it. I recall an article I the WSJ saying that it would not cost the U.S. taxpayers any money and would not create an unfair monopoly. So most are considering it deal that will close by early 2012.

The other part is where we differ. I think all you need is a phone/tablet maker that is looking to distinguish themselves from all of the others. The majority of phone/tablet makers are running some form of Android. Honeycomb, Ice Cream or it's iOS. I'm an old Palm Pre guy and loved those "cards" but I don't think WebOS will find the road back to the OS market an easy one.

You need is a device maker who wants to break away from the pack and has absolutely nothing to lose by forming some sort of exclusive relationship with R.I.M.

I don't pretend to have it all thought out. Just throwing things out there.
    12-29-11 01:12 PM
    Will the PlayBook help? Certainly. The recent sale put the PlayBook under more than a few trees this past Christmas, and those units undoubtedly got passed around to friends and family.

With that in mind, consider that it's very difficult to NOT be astonished by the PlayBook -- especially if you've used other tablets.

The public (in the US, at least) has this strange idea that blackberries "old and outdated". Of course, those of us here know that isn't true, but it's difficult to get that message to the public in general.

I'd be willing to bet that the PlayBook has changed quite a few minds this past holiday with its next-gen UI. RIM is really leading the pack on that front, as the PlayBook makes abundantly clear.
    kbz1960, jafobabe and AggreX like this.
    12-29-11 06:47 PM
    For me, comparing a BlackBerry to iPhone is like comparing Metallica with Maroon 5 lol....
    Iphone would definitely be maroon five.
    12-29-11 07:18 PM
    If I understand the OP, this is not whether we hope 2.0 will carry RIM over, but whether we think it will. It would be interesting to see it happen, as I cannot readily recall an instance where a software update changed the fortunes of a failed and fire-sold product.

Would the hardware continue to be sold at a loss? Then that will be a constant black-eye for RIM every quarter. That will not help. Will the price go back to iPad prices? I don't think 2.0 + a pony with every purchase can make that fly. Will the PB be redesigned to be a clunky Kindle? Would that even run 2.0? Also, it would still be sold at a loss if it was exactly the Kindle. How much compromise are you willing to deal with?

Finally, the timing is a killer. If it comes out when expected, the only thing everyone will be talking about is the iPad 3. Siri and a retina display will have them lined up for weeks. There will be more stories about the top 100 corporations adopting iPads and iOS 6. Android tablets will have ICS and may not suck any more, and they will be playing the price card. Against all that, 2.0 is supposed to bolster the company for most of a year. No way in a thousand multiple universes will that happen.

Here's to hoping RIM has something else up its sleeves.
    FF22 and powellcrazy like this.
    12-29-11 07:48 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD