Today its the 2nd month i have with my PlayBook and as a heavy BlackBerry user i must say this is what i needed. Totally fits in my daily life and it is the perfect partner for my BB Torch specially on college, and pretty much everywhere, i take it to most places (i got a fancy case lol). Now, lets get real.. I love BlackBerry and BB7 devices are awesome but thats what BB6 needed to be. These arent great times for RIM but i think this Tablet which has been sold a lot due to the discounts and i've seen loads of people with PlayBooks will help RIM.. When OS2 comes i know it will bring lots of features most of us havent seen yet and arent available on the OS2 beta but on RIM's internal builds... So, who else thinks like me this Tablet will help RIM stay on the market through this transition to BB10?
    12-27-11 08:24 PM
    Well I DO! The PB OS is the basis for the OS on the BB10 phones, so they will play well with each other. I'm ready for OS 2 .... can't wait till it rolls out.
    12-27-11 08:31 PM
    i dont think so.

if anything, the playbook actually brought RIM further down. it was supposed to be their saviour. all of their advertisements kept spouting "amateur hour is over" etc etc etc. and what did that get them? a huge resounding thumbs down from the masses/reviewers/pretty much everywhere. do some people like the playbook? obviously yes. but overall, it didn't reflect well on RIM at all and many people have lost confidence in the company because of it.
    Well, i forgot to mention my main Tablet was the iPad 2, im not much of a fanboy of any brand but gotta admit that when i got the PlayBook i forgot about the heavy ipad. I can do more with the PlayBook when it comes to web browsing which is a huge plus for me, theres also a Galaxy Tab 10.1 at my home that im gonna try to use it more.. but highly doubt it could replace my 7" (Perfect sized) tablet.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 08:33 PM
    Well I DO! The PB OS is the basis for the OS on the BB10 phones, so they will play well with each other. I'm ready for OS 2 .... can't wait till it rolls out.
    The Playbook is basically a teaser to the offerings that will be seen on the mobile version of QNX. But as you say, they will play well together (they sure as better). But to answer the OP's topic, yes the PB should help (especially the sale they recently had) in terms of showing people the QNX and what BBX could be all about. But as a person who has observed the mobile industry for a few years now, RIM has a serious issue. They turned into Nokia basically riding thier free ticket with the fanbase they've built up with enterprise users and businesses for far to long, they've failed in terms of staff management and logistics/inovation/Playbook's rushed state and lack of industry standard features(still will never understand how they dropped the ball on e-mail)/OS7's existance period/ I could go on for days.

Whether RIM sees it or not, they have to now work more than normal to retain goo standing within the industry, but haven't been showing any signs of it. They now have to rush with Playbooks OS features (forget about improvements, they don't have time to do that now). They have to figure out how to get these BBX phones out sooner, and they have to start innovating, or at least providing services that have made them a solid contender. They can't pull the nonsense they pulled with the 9900(like releasing a flagship with no autofocus camera/mobile hotspot up until recently/UMA calling/theme builder/and worst of all a worse battery). I don't understand if they truely believe they can continue to survive with this sort of stupid mentality, or are they actually blind to what exactly it is now required of them. To conclude, they have to work more than twice as hard, and more than twice as fast as opposed to other companies, in order just to survive as a valid contender against the likes of Google/Apple.

The only help the Playbook will give RIM in terms of BBX, is simple visionary aid/technical test base for a mobile platform for them to expirament on. But to be honest the fear over many peoples head still lingers whether this will be RIMs last tablet.
    bjw408h and anon(375378) like this.
    12-27-11 08:54 PM
    nada_surf and Unsure2 seem to be RIM haters true and through.

It's constant, in so many threads, and it's getting tired.
    Sigh...attacking me even before I gave my opinion on this topic...that's a bit low.

I don't hate RIM at all, although I'm not really a fan (I try not to love any of these corporations--they don't love us). There was a time long ago when I lusted after a BB email device but then the technologies converged giving me a phone that would do phone and email--later, my eyes convinced me I didn't want to do email on a phone, anyway. The only way I would own a RIM phone today was if I were convinced it had a better radio transceiver than my flip Motorola.

So, that brings us to the Playbook, which I do own and happen to like. I would like it to have better software support, and I see no reason to sugar coat the truth or lie about some real issues. I hope RIM survives (from what I read, it has bigger problems than the PB) and reads this forum to get a few ideas as to how it could improve things for users.
    12-27-11 09:04 PM
    Let's NOT CrapUp this thread with bashing ok?
    Last edited by jafobabe; 12-27-11 at 09:14 PM.
    12-27-11 09:04 PM
    Well, I was ready to give up on the 9930 and switch over to a iphone 4, but got a PB 16gig for x-mas. I really like most of it, bummed that I can't get Google maps/latitude on it....
    We have Ipad2, and kindle fires here at the house, and I am the only one out of 4 that does not have a Iphone.
    Biggest reason for switching..... facetime (apples version of BBM) This is a big deal to us.

Now I have played with the PB, I may stick around to see what the next phone will be. But It better be quick, I have a Iphone just sitting in the drawer waiting for me to activate....

go ahead and bash me for my opinions, I can deal with it. BB's have served me well for 6 years (3 different devices), but there is a product that may suit my needs better now. I hope RIMM can figure something out fast..... but that WAS supposed to be the 9900......what a let down
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 09:30 PM
    Well, I was ready to give up on the 9930 and switch over to a iphone 4, but got a PB 16gig for x-mas. I really like most of it, bummed that I can't get Google maps/latitude on it....
    Did you mean this?

12-27-11 09:41 PM
    For me, comparing a BlackBerry to iPhone is like comparing Metallica with Maroon 5 lol... not the same target seriously, why bother with that annoying conversation? Anyways, cant put to a side those 100M USD RIM is going to invest in promoting their products and when it comes to attract devs eyes to this Tablet i think Rovio and its Angry Birds release helped a lot! Now when kids come ask "Do you have angry birds?!!11one!!?" i can say yes lol...
    12-27-11 09:44 PM
    this has nothing to do with RIM hating. this is factual observation that you can't ignore. i mean honestly, do you really think the playbook was received well/made people like RIM more/etc etc? of course it didnt. even the craziest RIM fanatic wouldn't even believe that.
    Actually the Playbook introduced me to RIM devices. I never thought much about RIM one way or another until the Playbook. The playbook made me a Blackberry fan. It was my first experience with a tablet and I wanted it for its 7" form factor and I liked the QNX OS. I would not have bought a 10" tablet --- my wife wanted a 10 incher, so I got her the Toshiba Thrive, which is also a great device. She plays games, I do work.

I hope RIM has a huge success from their venture into the tablet. So much so that my next phone will likely be a Blackberry when OS 10 becomes available (now have Samsung Epic 4G).
    12-27-11 09:49 PM
    To the OP's point. Yes I believe it will help, BB10 phones are being activly developed for now. That is the biggest thing that the playbook can do for BB10. When BB10 launches only the weakest of arguments will state that theres no App's.
    12-27-11 09:55 PM
    Folks,

I deleted MANY posts from the thread, but only issued 1 infraction per person, even if you had several deletions, so don't think it was JUST for the post that got sent with the infraction, it was probably for several of your posts! Trust me, you guys got cut a break! Please read from our Posting Rules & Guidelines.....

Post in the Right Forum
    We’ve done our best to layout the forum categories so they are logical and make sense. When you are creating a new thread, do your best to get it in the right category. We want these forums to be value added and educational. The General CrackBerry Discussion and General RIM/BlackBerry Discussion are good places to post if you have a serious question but are not quite sure where to put it. These forums are less stringently moderated, while specific forums (BlackBerry 8700 Series for example) are more strictly moderated to maintain their quality and usefulness.

And of course, we also have the Off-Topic Discussion forum. This is the place on the site to have fun and talk about whatever. From sports to the weather to what to buy your girlfriend for her birthday (buying her a new blackberry is always a good thing), anything goes in here. Just remember to keep it clean, keep it productive and keep it legal!

Make Meaningful Posts
    While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

Reporting a bad post
    There is a "Report bad post" button on the top right side of each post (red/white triangle) or you can send a PM to a moderator.

We now return you to your regularly schedule thread already in progress!
    12-27-11 10:08 PM
    Watching.................... Tick, Tick, Tick
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-27-11 10:09 PM
    Someone else looking to earn a second infraction Nada?
    12-27-11 10:13 PM
    i hope and pray the bb10 devices are released as groudbreaking devices. i like android and apple, but i remain a blackberry fan boy.
    12-27-11 10:14 PM
    i hope and pray the bb10 devices are released as groudbreaking devices. i like android and apple, but i remain a blackberry fan boy.
    I have this feeling that the BB10 will be... but i really don't like the other platforms you mentioned, and I have used them all.

I love the BB platform for it's security, build, and awesome viewing.. I could call myself a 'fan', but with adding 'girl' it somehow doesn't translate well and looks too .... well ..... vaudville-ish
    Last edited by jafobabe; 12-27-11 at 11:09 PM.
    12-27-11 10:28 PM
    I think they could use the pb to help 'bridge the gap' between now and when BB10 phones are released Ex. February OS2 release and more app surprises and hopefully more people being seen with pbs

The BB + pb combo is super.
    Last edited by anthogag; 12-27-11 at 10:45 PM.
    12-27-11 10:43 PM
    - The Playbook provides a real physical device for developers to test their code on.
    - The Playbook provides a market for the developers until the phones are available.
    - The Playbook users get to provide feedback for the next gen, Blackberry 10, system.
    spike12, The_Kills and bitek like this.
    12-27-11 11:08 PM
    I really hope they can pull themselves out of this North American hole they dug. It's irritating to sit here and think of the arrogance they had to not listen to their consumers and just sit back and think they could skate on old technology.

Then Kevin says the CEO's aren't even in the same building. Everything is spread out...There's your second problem, possibly lack of communication. Those that control the destiny of BlackBerry need to be housed on the same floor of the same building. Yes, I know this is the age of emails and text messages, but in my office, nothing beats being able to all just step out of our offices and meet at the table or gang up in one office to hash out a problem or set something up. It gets things done immediately.

It's not like they don't already know what WE expect from the future BlackBerry devices. Get it done and stop thinking your supporting consummers are a bunch of idiots that will except poor quality devices. No, WE look at what makes are BlackBerrys tic and it's not just the cases they come in or the keyboards they have.

If I'm forced to go to an Android or iPhone, I gonna hope i see the co-ceo's looking like the "Duke" brothers from the movie "Trading Places". LOL
    pkcable and The_Kills like this.
    12-27-11 11:18 PM
    I have this feeling that the BB10 will be... but i really don't like the other platforms you mentioned, and I have used them all.

I love the BB platform for it's security, build, and awesome viewing.. I could call myself a 'fan', but with adding 'girl' it somehow doesn't translate well and looks too .... well ..... vaudville-ish
    No, fan girl. I like it! Very retro. Very Sally Rand.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-28-11 12:01 AM
    Did you mean this?

Click to view quoted image

Please share how to get google maps and latitude loaded. So far I can not figure it out. Would very much appreciated help.
    When I goto google maps and try to download, as I did on my phone, it just takes me to google maps as if you where on a PC, and latitude states "device not supported"

Really liking the Playbook, pretty sweat little device.
    12-28-11 06:12 PM
    Please share how to get google maps and latitude loaded. So far I can not figure it out. Would very much appreciated help.
    When I goto google maps and try to download, as I did on my phone, it just takes me to google maps as if you where on a PC, and latitude states "device not supported"

Really liking the Playbook, pretty sweat little device.
    You need to download the Beta OS 2.0, the Android Player is included in it then just download the file I've uploaded, and extract it and side-load it. There are plenty of tutorials here on Crackberry that show you how to do it, just look for them, it's really very simple once you do it the first time, side loading apps is a breeze.
    12-28-11 07:01 PM
    Of course it will and is. It is the fall guy for the BB10 phones. It is where everything including apps are being worked out so when the phones come they will come with ready to go apps and OS. It is a test bed but much more than that because it is also a darn good tablet that will be a great tablet in a few months.

Disclaimer: My opinion, not fact.
    peter9477 likes this.
    12-28-11 07:18 PM
    You need to download the Beta OS 2.0, the Android Player is included in it then just download the file I've uploaded, and extract it and side-load it. There are plenty of tutorials here on Crackberry that show you how to do it, just look for them, it's really very simple once you do it the first time, side loading apps is a breeze.
    thanks, not interested in beta right now. i want it to be easy and found in app world. dont have time for messing with possible problematic software. Will wait for offical release of OS.
    look forward to new OS and world of new apps,hopefully not too far off.
    12-28-11 10:09 PM
    thanks, not interested in beta right now. i want it to be easy and found in app world. dont have time for messing with possible problematic software. Will wait for offical release of OS.
    look forward to new OS and world of new apps,hopefully not too far off.
    It is easy, and there is nothing problematic about it. But if you are too lazy, then I understand.
    12-29-11 12:23 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD