Difference is android is an OS but is a consortium of many big pocket device makers like Sony, Motorola, LG, Toshiba, Samsung, HTC, Asus, ACER Lenovo and on and on.

Rim is but one company. To get any market share it needs to offer something better. BB10 might just well be something better. But people are not going to hold off buying devices waiting for BB10 to come out. Every delay means millions of phones and tablets bought that are not made by RIM causing loss of market share.

And yes it might be too late for current PB to sit there as a real competitor for Apple as a tablet maker. They blew a chance at big market share. They know it. Fortunately they are employing a strategy to minimize the damage of their mistakes and hopefully use a budget price to try t increase market share and win back customers. Hopefully if they like the revised OS they might want to consider going for a BB10 device which will complement it.
    But people won't wait 6-12 months.
    So RIM has to get off it's collective @ss and get BB10 devices to market before everyone just buys iPhone 5 and the latest 4.5 inch android powerhouse phones and leaves RIM in the dust.
    Like I said, I disagree. In 6 - 12 months there will be ppl buying a smartphone for the very first time ever, there will be LOTS of ppl who have plans expiring at and after BB10 devices drop. Nobody, and I mean nobody has lost the chance to garner a large market share. Again, if what you are saying were true, Android would be niche as well. Lets face it, there were lots of 6 month periods before Android arrived on the seen.

It seems you think that everyone will be done buying/upgrading their phones/tablets before bb10 drops but that is obviously not the case.

And if a large percentage opt for bb10 for their next phone/tablet there is no gaurantee they won't pick something else for the phone/tablet after that. Like I said, anyone can garner huge market share if their offering and presentation is on the mark.

Re. Android is a consortium:
    yes, a consortium of COMPETITORS, oh and btw, the masters of Android are now in competition with all the others. Good thing there's no conflict of interest there.
    Besides... if you split out market-share by manufacturer the Android picture isn't as rosy.

Not only that, ALL the manufactures of phones sporting Android have no choice but to go along for the ride whichever direction Motorolla, er, Google decide to take it. Sustainable product differentiation is hard to do when you don't control the platform.
    02-20-12 02:16 PM
    While I would have loved to thank and like you for a post, I think, is lauding the PlayBook, I just can't seem to get past the sudden onset of strabismus reading your post just gave me; just sayin'.
    The funny thing is the post was edited after posting. I hope not on a Playbook.
    02-20-12 02:26 PM
    When PB was released it had hardware such as the main chipset and the chip combination that were considered a Bold (excuse the reference) and risky move because it was too advanced still. That paid off for RIM on the hardware perspective. It's a solid design and still very competitive today. QNX OS is a true multi-tasking OS. One can go on and on here about the benefits of QNX. Unfortunatly the featured services and apps running on this OS was weak. FInally, RIM is about to have what will be a competitve software and UI. They have lost market share but hopefully it will grow again. I don't believe it's too late. I just bought two based on what I saw and what I expect to happen. I have faith.
    I also bought one for my wife and I. I see th potential in the device and I am not a brand but will buy what I think represents a good value and a good device.
    QNX is a great OS provided RIM doesn't F@#k it up.
    02-20-12 03:34 PM
    lol guys I was on My Prime And Atoucorrection is Awfull lol always Correct Wrong ... Dont care so much About It ,,,
    02-20-12 03:50 PM
    Like I said, I disagree. In 6 - 12 months there will be ppl buying a smartphone for the very first time ever, there will be LOTS of ppl who have plans expiring at and after BB10 devices drop. Nobody, and I mean nobody has lost the chance to garner a large market share. Again, if what you are saying were true, Android would be niche as well. Lets face it, there were lots of 6 month periods before Android arrived on the seen.

It seems you think that everyone will be done buying/upgrading their phones/tablets before bb10 drops but that is obviously not the case.

And if a large percentage opt for bb10 for their next phone/tablet there is no gaurantee they won't pick something else for the phone/tablet after that. Like I said, anyone can garner huge market share if their offering and presentation is on the mark.

Re. Android is a consortium:
    yes, a consortium of COMPETITORS, oh and btw, the masters of Android are now in competition with all the others. Good thing there's no conflict of interest there.
    Besides... if you split out market-share by manufacturer the Android picture isn't as rosy.

Not only that, ALL the manufactures of phones sporting Android have no choice but to go along for the ride whichever direction Motorolla, er, Google decide to take it. Sustainable product differentiation is hard to do when you don't control the platform.
    You miss the point. People generally refer to Android as if it was Apple or RIM. It is not. It is an OS that is run by many devices by many manufacturers at many price points with many different features. As such Android took significant market share and overall is the dominant mobile phone OS. Yes more Android devices out there than iOS. Android got to where it did by being an essentially free OS that OEM could put on their hardware. The hardware which rivals or beats apple's running a software which is more capable and customizable ( but not as polished) at a much lower price is what made Android get popular. And the fact that there are many companies producing handsets, means that people have choice of form factor and screen size etc. and can go with a brand they prefer.

There were many 6 months periods before Android, but then it came and offered a great smartphone experience rivalling apple with a large market of apps and great hardware to run it on and a low price. So people are buying. When I can get a 4.6 inch Super AMoled plus screen at 1280x800 (which blows away apples iPhone screen)with dual core processor top notch cameras with NFC capabilities and every other bell and whistle you can imagine include DLNA, wifi syncing built in turn by turn navigation by GPS etc and it is free on contract compared to 200$ for an iPhone , guess what, I must really be an apple lover to choose the iphone over that.

RIM to succeed must do the same and not wait. It has to produce a device whose screen is better than the iPhone, whose UI and gaming experience is better and faster, which offers an array of apps and games that covers the gamut of most users wants and needs and do so at a cost that is LESS expensive than the iPhone, or else guess what. RIM will lose even more market share. SO every 6 months that goes by millions of handsets are activated that are not made by RIM (since OS 7 and current crop of phones while of good build quality lag way behind the competition in features and horsepower). Not only does market share go down, but many of those people who would have opted for a RIM phone if a comparable model were available will now get to taste the iOS or android flavoured koolaid and likely won't come back.

2 Nurses I work with who SWORE by their blackberry phones and BBM messaging etc and always looked at iPhone users with disdain as there were no real keys, no bum.... are now sporting iPhones and wondering why they didn't with a long time ago. So, I disagree with you. The more people who were always on the RIM bandwagon who try other devices, the more they realizes that Rim is not some special company and that BB phones are not the be all and end all. At that point you lost your repeat customer.

I was always iPhone mac guy. But I am open minded tried a Samsung phone and have not touched my iPhone in past 5 months. I think iPhone 4s was a joke as it offered little over the iPhone 4 and Siri could have easily worked on the 4 but APple used it as a lre to the newer phone. I would be open to going to a BB phone too if I felt it offered me a superior experience. Not seeing it with current Gen phones. I am not alone:

"RIM�s sales in the U.S. fell 45 percent last quarter as consumers and businesses opted for iPhones or Android devices for their better Web browsers and wider array of apps.

The U.S. decline is dragging down RIM�s global market share even as sales in emerging markets like India and Indonesia climb. RIM�s share of the worldwide smartphone market slid to 8.2 percent in the fourth quarter from 14 percent a year earlier, while Apple�s share rose to 24 percent from 16 percent in the same period, according to research firm IDC."

That is a quote from Business week 2/16
    02-20-12 04:00 PM
    No offence, but you know why people are defensive with regards to posts like this, it is because we've seen the same post 100s of times with similar content. Nothing new was provided by the post. I have nothing to defend, PB is the device I want, but I've grown tired of these posts.
    02-20-12 05:25 PM
    No offence, but you know why people are defensive with regards to posts like this, it is because we've seen the same post 100s of times with similar content. Nothing new was provided by the post. I have nothing to defend, PB is the device I want, but I've grown tired of these posts.
    so don't read em or reply to em

Go to a thread where everyone talks about the playbook like it s the best thing going and is ignorant to why else is out there, how good it is and how Rim screwed the pooch with this device and now are hoping dmge control with os 2.0 gets this device out of the red.
    02-20-12 06:23 PM
    Well, I am a fan just by the way these things feel. You can straight up hear see and feek the quality of these devices. I will probably buy the 64gb as well as the 32 I have now, one for play and one for work. I have always been a BlackBerry fan and Android, as I am an Apple snob, all respect to Steve Jobs. The form factor, and the quality were what convinced me its the best tablet right now, or should I say in a couple hours, lol, and the price drop simply made it the best value in the gizmo world, period. Companies, like humans, go through rough patches, but you stay loyal and hope they work there way through it, and if they do, you both win. Some on RIM, make us proud and much success in the future!
    02-21-12 02:09 AM
    And we need that damn predictive text, lol.
    02-21-12 02:14 AM
    On February 21, 2012, the first page of this forum is reserved for positive threads only.

Do not bump this one.

Back to the jubilation now
    02-21-12 02:15 AM
    RIM have demonstrated that they still have ammo in the gun. All they need to do is focus & with good brainstorming they will make a great comeback.
    02-21-12 08:49 AM
    Well installed 2.0 without hiccups and for the most part it seems quite good. Some things were laggy and initially none of my media showed up. A reboot solved this.

Mail and contacts seem very nice.

Love fact the podcast app allows url entry as there were many podcasts I listen to that were not in it's catalog.

Calendar so far is disappointing. I rely heavily on google calendar as it allows me to have my mac, iOS and android devices all synced and my wife and I to share calendars. It has been a great smooth experience. For some reason the Google Calendar on PB only allows 1 calendar to show which means it is useless for me unless there is some sort of workaround.
    02-21-12 09:06 AM
    You might want to bookmark dictionary.com
    02-21-12 09:23 AM
113 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD