The Z10 is flooding with OS leakages for all of its variants! How come PlayBook has none? Where are these leaks coming from anyway?

Posted via Z10
    05-05-13 09:26 AM
    I'd love to see a BB10 leak and I assume that as soon as one becomes available, we'll have it.
    05-05-13 01:53 PM
    The Z10 is flooding with OS leakages for all of its variants! How come PlayBook has none? Where are these leaks coming from anyway?
    Posted via Z10
    I don't know where these OS leaks are coming from, but... I have a theory.

Imagine if a company, erm let's call it RYM... had a lump of software that they wanted out there to beta test by a large number of users. Obviously it would be embarrassing to release an official Beta because their product is new and they don't want to give an impression that it's incomplete or buggy, so RYM leave a USB stick on a park bench in nearby Aqualoo with this software on that they want battle-tested and make a few phonecalls to interested parties so that it escapes into the wild.

People post on the CB forums of their experiences with this Beta, and when the official software is released it doesn't contain any of the bugs that were in the Beta.

And any bugs that are found... well, it's nothing to do with RYM. They can hardly be held to account for irresponsible unknown persons releasing incomplete work-in-progress... now can they?

* Obviously any connection between entities mentioned in this post and in the real world is purely coincidental.
    05-05-13 05:02 PM
    You Conspiracy Theorists are all alike!
    dphjeff and JeepBB like this.
    05-05-13 05:29 PM
    Instead of this ridiculous practice of leaking stuff, they should have a user beta program where potential guinea pigs can download bleeding-edge software and proceed to brick their phones. All officially of course and all requiring you sign a huge disclaimer before hitting that OK button... a weekly draw for free ice cream at Waterloo should suffice as reward
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-06-13 02:14 AM
    You Conspiracy Theorists are all alike!
    Awwh shucks, you got me cold F2... and I thought I was being oblique and subtle!

Actually, I'm very impressed with whoever it was inside RYM that came up with this marvellous "plausible deniability" plan of leaking OS's (coz of course the source of these leaks has to be RYM!).

Whoever it was definitely deserves a huge payrise, and maybe even the CEO's job!

It's inspired.

Get users to find the remaining bugs (for free), make sure those identified bugs get fixed in the next official release, and there can be absolutely no comebacks or complaints when users find these bugs because its a leaked OS that is nothing to do with RYM, no siree!... and it would be unfair to blame RYM or hold them responsible for bugs found in a "stolen" incomplete OS release.

Inspired, I tell 'e!

Oh, and mine's a Mint Choc Chip in a chocolate-dipped waffle cone. Thanks...
    FF22 likes this.
    05-06-13 04:36 AM
    I like your theory... it makes sense... just imagine a free "Quality Control" that is very happy to do the testing - and they are FREE!!!

A genius idea indeed...

Posted via Z10
    05-06-13 08:35 AM
    Which bring us to the logical conclusion that if that "theory" is somehow true, and there is no leak OS for a certain product, the RYM is simply not making an upgrade... or none at all... for that certain and particular product...

I hope my logical conclusion is incorrect...

Posted via Z10
    05-06-13 08:38 AM
    Which bring us to the logical conclusion that if that "theory" is somehow true, and there is no leak OS for a certain product, the RYM is simply not making an upgrade... or none at all... for that certain and particular product...

Posted via Z10
    Different group of devs maybe?
    05-06-13 08:54 AM
    I hate to say it but releasing bb10 for the playbook would be a bad business decision. BB needs people to buy bb10 and not inherit it from a deeply discounted playbook.
    05-06-13 09:39 AM
    I hate to say it but releasing bb10 for the playbook would be a bad business decision. BB needs people to buy bb10 and not inherit it from a deeply discounted playbook.
    I agree but it will hopefully be done at some point another 3 months is better than never at all!!
    05-06-13 09:53 AM
    I agree but it will hopefully be done at some point another 3 months is better than never at all!!
    I disagree. The more buzz, the better
    05-06-13 09:53 AM
    It probably works both ways. There are lots of people who bought the deeply discounted PlayBook and then got a BlackBerry phone to go with it. If OS10 works well on the Playbook, it may attract people to the OS10 phones who might otherwise have been happy with their existing phone.

I would agree with you that it would have been a bad decision to do it before releasing the phones, but now that the Q10 and Z10 are out it may not matter.
    kbz1960 and BerryClever like this.
    05-06-13 10:56 AM
    BB10 on Playbook before the phones were released would not be ideal. But now I think it is necessary to increase the number of users on the platform so developers see a bigger demand for their apps. More demand for apps = potentially more apps developed = more customers switching to BB10 without lack of apps being a major issue. In other words BB10 in more peoples hands can grow the platform faster through app development and word of mouth. That's the way I see it. Especially for Netflix and other such services to become available.
    05-06-13 11:19 AM
    It probably works both ways. There are lots of people who bought the deeply discounted PlayBook and then got a BlackBerry phone to go with it. If OS10 works well on the Playbook, it may attract people to the OS10 phones who might otherwise have been happy with their existing phone.

I would agree with you that it would have been a bad decision to do it before releasing the phones, but now that the Q10 and Z10 are out it may not matter.
    Or they might be afraid to introduce bb10 for the pb without any Bridge, even to the OS7 and lesser OS phones and folks might never upgrade to bb10 phones!!!
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    05-06-13 11:28 AM
    Or they might be afraid to introduce bb10 for the pb without any Bridge, even to the OS7 and lesser OS phones and folks might never upgrade to bb10 phones!!!
    In my family we have two old 9800 Torches that bridge nicely to two old PB 64 units. I will not "upgrade" to either the X, Y or Z or whatever until I see a PB OS10 and X, Y or Z phone that bridges like my current setup. I'll stay with my current setup until this happens or until one or the other of the 9800 or PB dies. Then I'll look at other options. Just my NHO.
    JeepBB, FF22 and cmdr_dan like this.
    05-06-13 11:57 AM
    In my family we have two old 9800 Torches that bridge nicely to two old PB 64 units. I will not "upgrade" to either the X, Y or Z or whatever until I see a PB OS10 and X, Y or Z phone that bridges like my current setup. I'll stay with my current setup until this happens or until one or the other of the 9800 or PB dies. Then I'll look at other options. Just my NHO.
    Well said.
    05-06-13 02:30 PM
    Wrong on so many levels. For one playbook was the test bench for BB10. Fire sale or not many people paid high retail and received a half *** product even now.

The least blackberry can do is give it a upgrade so it works as intended. Do you think someone who has been more or less forgotten will buy any bb10 product when they can't even fulfill a promise they made how many months ago.

Shaping up to be the old Rim full of bs and missed dates. Usual blackberry fashion a vague it's coming.

They stripped so much out I bridge just announce a EOL for it and be done with it. Blackberry world every week there Iess and less being made for it.
    cmdr_dan likes this.
    05-06-13 02:39 PM

My take on this is that BB getting BB10 on PB is a completely different situation to BB fixing the numerous bugs that exist on the BB10 phones... let's not get into a debate here over whether the undeniable BB10 bugs are serious or niggles... that's a different argument which is being fought elsewhere, and one that turns on the judgement of each individual, so is basically unresolvable anyway.

So, given the imperative of fixing the phones quietly (can't have an official Beta release, coz that's a tacit public admission that BB10 is currently borked) and quickly (coz BB must be aware that a number of people - including me - are sitting on the sidelines keeping a firm hold on their wallets until BB10 is fixed and eventually they'll just go and buy something else shiny)... what can BB do?

And the answer (for BB10 on phones) is as I've previously suggested above - free user testing on a leaked OS to quickly identify the bugs and confirm fixes in a publicity-free manner.

Turning to us PB owners, we aren't important enough to justify leaking anything to us. BB already has our money and, to be fair, we got what we paid for. Unlike the phone situation, there is no imperative for BB to bring us a leaked (or official) BB10, so they won't. There are no lines of people considering whether to buy a PB, and if the current PB owners choose to go or stay, it affects BB not at all.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 05-06-13 at 03:43 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-06-13 03:23 PM
    05-06-13 04:21 PM
    and if the current PB owners choose to go or stay, it affects BB not at all.
    Well it does, based on how they treated PB owners I expect them to treat Z10 and Q10 owners the same way. I won't be recommending anything BBRY until they ditch their old ways. Will see how this plays out when an OS11 is mentioned. BBRY has a bad habit of forgetting older devices. Playbook's browser is so bad now I refuse to even charge mine up. I do everything now from my S3, I still love the Playbook 's OS but the support is ****.
    05-06-13 10:25 PM
    Well it does, based on how they treated PB owners I expect them to treat Z10 and Q10 owners the same way. I won't be recommending anything BBRY until they ditch their old ways. Will see how this plays out when an OS11 is mentioned. BBRY has a bad habit of forgetting older devices. Playbook's browser is so bad now I refuse to even charge mine up. I do everything now from my S3, I still love the Playbook 's OS but the support is ****.
    I disagree,,, their legacy support is actually pretty good,,, just this playbook thing is dragging out a bit...
    BerryClever likes this.
    05-07-13 01:51 PM
    Actually, I'm very impressed with whoever it was inside RYM that came up with this marvellous "plausible deniability" plan of leaking OS's (coz of course the source of these leaks has to be RYM!).

Whoever it was definitely deserves a huge payrise, and maybe even the CEO's job!

It's inspired.
    Getting out from the box and do the macro view, you are going to realize that it is not only that kind of strategy is a brilliant idea - but another brilliant stratgey is making those people (who purchased your product) as your "marketing guys" i.e. convincing their families, relatives, friends and peers to buy the same product - not to mention, even making an appeal to third party developers to push and make their applications and games available to that device... just imagine, a free "quality control", a free "marketting guys", a free "public relation officers" i.e. the company is not paying these people... instead, these people are the one paying the company by buying their product!

It's really a brilliant brainwashing, I mean brilliant idea and strategy!!!

Posted via Z10
    FF22 likes this.
    05-07-13 08:56 PM
    you sir need to purchass fast browser ! well worth the 99 cents and is a lot better than pb air browser
    wired cleric likes this.
    05-07-13 08:58 PM
    I would disagree also, the more hand BB10 is in the better. Maximum exposure is key, especially given its a brand new OS.
    BerryClever likes this.
    05-07-13 11:05 PM