If you don't appreciate this nice little $500 awesome flash movie player with web browsing capability, get an android tablets or iPads.
    So that's what they mean by professional grade.
    06-05-11 07:13 AM
    I still remember this quote

ORLANDO—The BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will get updates at the startlingly fast pace of up to "every two weeks," RIM vice president of software Alan Panezic said at the BlackBerry World conference today.
    "If we need to, we'll be cranking new capabilities for users every two weeks," he said.
    06-05-11 07:34 AM

ORLANDO�The BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will get updates at the startlingly fast pace of up to "every two weeks," RIM vice president of software Alan Panezic said at the BlackBerry World conference today.
    "If we need to, we'll be cranking new capabilities for users every two weeks," he said.
    The problem here is defining what "if we need to" means. To be fair, the PlayBook is selling fine as is, and specific release dates for features were not mentioned. Sure, there are improvements that people would like to see, but RIM can't deliver them until they're ready, regardless of what an SVP may have claimed.
    06-05-11 08:55 AM
    The problem here is defining what "if we need to" means. To be fair, the PlayBook is selling fine as is, and specific release dates for features were not mentioned. Sure, there are improvements that people would like to see, but RIM can't deliver them until they're ready, regardless of what an SVP may have claimed.
    RIM mislead us.... you can slice it anyway you like, its still rimpooh-pie.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-11 09:44 AM
    RIM mislead us.... you can slice it anyway you like, its still rimpooh-pie.

I completely agree... they DID promise quick updates and in the beginning they did deliver... Which is why I asked the question at the beginning "WHERE ARE the updates..??" I also feel mislead
    06-05-11 03:33 PM

ORLANDO�The BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will get updates at the startlingly fast pace of up to "every two weeks," RIM vice president of software Alan Panezic said at the BlackBerry World conference today.
    Wouldnt be the first time rim stuck their foot in their mouth- setting up customers for disappointment.

The stock has been beat and beat and beat down due to the little details bubbling up to the surface- including the fact that rim seems helpless to improve and refine this device at present.

if a new major, revolutionary update isnt ready at this juncture, this sends a clear message to stockholders that the powers that be are unwilling or incapable of improving the playbook OS. if they have work completed and improvements to the batter ready..... what in the devil are they waiting for?

Up until today i was sure the stock has bottomed out. Now i look to see it decline another 10%.... because investors know that if they cant get their act together regarding the pb by now, how long will it be before new phones that can compete will be in consumer's hands?
    06-05-11 03:39 PM
    Because the PlayBook OS is missing so many features that it needs major updates, even only two months after launch. The PlayBook is fighting an uphill battle, made worse by those that want to excuse those shortcomings every chance they get. It doesn't matter that the PlayBook came out just a few months ago... the landscape is more mature than that, and there is no excuse to enter the market in the condition the PlayBook did. The PlayBook doesn't need to catch up to the competition... it needs to pass the competition. Bug fixes won't do it. Major updates will.
    Fully agree with you. Whether they like it or not, they are competing with the current ipads and xooms and even netbooks. I was out hiking this morning, took a photo with my 9650 and quickly sent if off to friends and with a choice of attachment size - simple and easy. Seriously, rim is even in competition with its own phones which are more robust.
    06-05-11 03:52 PM
    Exactly. People keep trying to make the argument "But look at how rough around the edges the iPhone/iPad was when it came out." Sure, that's very true... then. But the PlayBook isn't competing with the iPhone or iPad then, it's competing with the iPhone or iPad (or your preferred device of comparison) now. And right now the PlayBook isn't stacking up, no matter how many different ways people want to shrug off, excuse, or ignore its shortcomings.
    06-05-11 04:12 PM
    Umm all I can say is...
    Whiners and toy users - go get an iPad or whatever you think is great. These are the ones that can't even spell or type because auto-correct is one of their major disappointments. Leave RIMM to develop a serious business tool that has potential to surpass all others in that market, beginning with the bridge to your smartphone.

If it does more than my phone does, I can wait for the rest, but I DO expect it to do at least that- bridge to the phone reliably and provide a better browsing experience (larger screen and touch) . Start there and be patient. The more you whine the more RIMM's rep goes down and nobody benefits from that.
    06-05-11 04:19 PM
    Leave RIMM to develop a serious business tool that has potential to surpass all others in that market, beginning with the bridge to your smartphone.
    You're kidding, right? A serious business tool that has potential isn't a serious business tool until it can deliver.

The more you whine the more RIMM's rep goes down and nobody benefits from that.
    You can't possibly be serious. Those of us that are unhappy with the PlayBook should keep our mouths shut so that RIM (not RIMM) can continue to look good? Really?
    06-05-11 04:23 PM
    Native email, native PIM, autocorrect, BBM... with all that would everyone be happy?

Hint: just use your BB phone. Then when you are happy, get a Playbook because it's really designed to have all that kept on your phone and ACCESSED from the Playbook. Otherwise get another tablet.
    06-05-11 04:37 PM
    well according to my calculations, june 7th there will be an update. it's a tuesday, like the other updates. and it's also my birthday. a rim rep promised me it'd be a birthday present.

ps- /sarcasm
    06-05-11 04:39 PM
    You're kidding, right? A serious business tool that has potential isn't a serious business tool until it can deliver.

You can't possibly be serious. Those of us that are unhappy with the PlayBook should keep our mouths shut so that RIM (not RIMM) can continue to look good? Really?
    No, but you should keep your expectations reasonable and identify priorities only, instead of nitpicking, dissing, and whining. Keep it positive and helpful. Otherwise it is overwhelming and yes makes RIMM look bad, only diminishes their resources (investors). The more resources they have the better for all.

Remember everybody had to have it NOW and now that they have it prematurely, and got what they asked for all they do is whine that some little stupid helpful but unnecessary feature like auto-correct isn't working yet.

I say they should stop trying to please everyone with desired features and make the basics work reliably first.
    06-05-11 04:42 PM
    Okay, autocorrection would be nice but I'd settle for a way to get the cursor where I want when I do make my infrequent typo! Getting the cursor just beyond that one error is a major trial. And while some text-entry-boxes can be zoomed, many canNOT making fixing a typo a TASK. So give me autocorrection or give me cursor control. See, I'm willing to settle. Could they throw in a find/search function in the pdf app (oh, and in the webpage) and the ability to cut/paste a cell/block in Sheets?
    06-05-11 05:14 PM

Bolded the important part of the statement. No where does it say it has to be every two weeks.
    06-05-11 05:15 PM
    WHERE ARE the updates?....
    ...coming soon, expect an update within the next 24-8760 hours....?
    06-05-11 05:20 PM
    Bolded the important part of the statement. No where does it say it has to be every two weeks.
    Doesn't matter. Should have never been mentioned in the first place. The Playbook needs updates.
    06-05-11 06:08 PM
    ...coming soon, expect an update within the next 24-8760 hours....?

hahaha very funny.
    06-05-11 06:31 PM
    Remember everybody had to have it NOW and now
    that they have it prematurely, and got what they
    asked for all they do is whine that some little stupid
    helpful but unnecessary.....<snip>
    I don't think RIM pushed it out to appease an angry mob.

They pushed it out because (1) it was RIM that said it was to be out by the end of q1 even tho they still dragged their feet and missed their own deadline, and (2) they had to save face and get it out quickly, as the lack of any word from RIM whatsoever was making investors nervous sending the stocks lower and their admission that no new phones were in the near future threw an even darker shadow on their future balance sheet.

I don't think blame can be laid on a consumer base that was getting sick and tired of hearing "coming soon" and "oh, that's something we don't think you need". The blame falls on RIM not changing to meet the challenge of today's market...

...as well as mishandling the playbook and leaving it in the state it is in with, once more, the official response of "coming soon."

06-05-11 06:42 PM
    No, but you should keep your expectations reasonable and identify priorities only, instead of nitpicking, dissing, and whining.
    Wow. I do keep my expectations reasonable. I expect the PlayBook to compete with existing tablets and with BlackBerry phones... both of which are more capable than the PlayBook in its current form.

Keep it positive and helpful. Otherwise it is overwhelming and yes makes RIMM look bad, only diminishes their resources (investors). The more resources they have the better for all.
    Please stop demanding that everyone sit by the campfire holding hands while singing Kumbayah. It's not going to happen.

I say they should stop trying to please everyone with desired features and make the basics work reliably first.
    Funny, because I consider the basics any and all capabilities that existing tablets and BlackBerry phones can do right now, including AutoText/spell check, bookmark management, etc.
    Last edited by ifarlow; 06-06-11 at 08:39 AM.
    06-06-11 06:01 AM
    I don't think RIM pushed it out to appease an angry mob.

They pushed it out because (1) it was RIM that said it was to be out by the end of q1 even tho they still dragged their feet and missed their own deadline, and (2) they had to save face and get it out quickly, as the lack of any word from RIM whatsoever was making investors nervous sending the stocks lower and their admission that no new phones were in the near future threw an even darker shadow on their future balance sheet.

I don't think blame can be laid on a consumer base that was getting sick and tired of hearing "coming soon" and "oh, that's something we don't think you need". The blame falls on RIM not changing to meet the challenge of today's market...

...as well as mishandling the playbook and leaving it in the state it is in with, once more, the official response of "coming soon."

I agree, it's obvious that they got caught between a rock and a hard place with the Q1 date. I think they also got caught off guard with the iPad2 launching when it did. I think they thought they would have the PB out before the iPad2 so they would get more comparisons with the iPad1 in the reviews. Being caught off guard, I think they decided the PB was "good enough" to ship now and by not having to wait on carriers to approve OS updates they thought they could fix the problems later and quickly. Plus seeing as though, this is a radically different product from what they have done before, that the newness and eye candy would be enough until the rollouts of updates.

I like my PB as a standalone product, but it's not a BlackBerry. In this, I don't think they managed the expectations well. When you brand a product with "BlackBerry", there comes some expectations, regardless of whether you're dealing with a new OS or not. People expect a BlackBerry product to function as BlackBerry products have functioned and are functioning. This doesn't mean that the PB needed to be a big phone. No, but what it does mean is that the phone shouldn't have capabilities that the tablet doesn't. Go back to the Devcon 2010 announcement and remember, the PB was supposed to be about an "amplification of the BlackBerry experience."

Therefore, ideally, the PB should be a great new product with great new features, but should still feel familar to you as a BlackBerry branded product. This is the current problem with the PB and as much as I dislike people going crazy over Apple, I have to admit that Apple got it right in that people want a familar feel across the brand. Bridge helps, but it's just that, a bridge. Now, all of this will probably change once QNX is on the phones, but that's quite a while away. The PB should have been everything that makes BlackBerry the brand that it is, while showcasing the future of the brand towards QNX. Right now, it's a huge disconnect.
    06-06-11 08:37 AM
    I like my PB as a standalone product, but it's not a BlackBerry. In this, I don't think they managed the expectations well. When you brand a product with "BlackBerry", there comes some expectations, regardless of whether you're dealing with a new OS or not. People expect a BlackBerry product to function as BlackBerry products have functioned and are functioning. This doesn't mean that the PB needed to be a big phone. No, but what it does mean is that the phone shouldn't have capabilities that the tablet doesn't. Go back to the Devcon 2010 announcement and remember, the PB was supposed to be about an "amplification of the BlackBerry experience."
    I think you are exactly right, and this is exactly what I am feeling right now with the PlayBook. With the BlackBerry label on the PlayBook, I have expectations of a BlackBerry experience, heightened by the amplification comment by RIM. Unfortunately, I'm not getting the BlackBerry experience with the PlayBook.
    06-06-11 08:42 AM
    I think they got so concentrated on the eye candy with Flash and integrating QNX that they didn't step back and look to see if they had integrated the actual BlackBerry experience. There was a blog post on CB about this saying how QNX had pulled RIM in two separate directions and that RIM would be working to get it all on the same page, but that this largely wouldn't happen until QNX was on the phones.
    06-06-11 08:50 AM
    I think they got so concentrated on the eye candy with Flash and integrating QNX that they didn't step back and look to see if they had integrated the actual BlackBerry experience. There was a blog post on CB about this saying how QNX had pulled RIM in two separate directions and that RIM would be working to get it all on the same page, but that this largely wouldn't happen until QNX was on the phones.
    +++1.

That really says it. Plainly. One video soundbite was titled "blackberry amplified". It was the single most effective pr approach that got me interested; implications of combining the high speed touch interface with eyecandy with the practical, powerful abilities and security of your blackberry phone.

I like my playbook, but it isn't that....

06-06-11 10:43 AM
124 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD