i'm sooo frustrated... I cant return it anymore. Still cant manage my email... RIM is blocking aMail... the apps are subpar... i dont know what to do
    06-01-11 07:42 PM
    Patience. The Playbook can only get better
    06-01-11 07:46 PM
    I can understand your frustration. I guess you have two options. Try to sell it, or hit the update button everyday like the rest of us, and hope RIM will come through with the goods.
    06-01-11 07:48 PM
    There's no point in mentioning the aMail block, as you can easily install it (and it's borderline worthless at this point, so the block is moot).

Sell it and move on, you aren't even going to lose that much...
    06-01-11 07:55 PM
    lol. You can manually install aMail and the browser works too. If you used aMail, you'd know why it hasn't been accepted yet.
    06-01-11 08:00 PM
    Patience. The Playbook can only get better
    This certainly seems to be the mantra behind the Playbook. "Be patient." "Just wait." "It will get better sometime in the future". The problem with these phrases is that the public can only use them so much before they get annoyed and either: (i) return their Playbook; (ii) sell it; or (iii) worse yet, persuade other people not to purchase a Playbook.

The third point is problematic for RIM - bad word of mouth is something they can not afford. They already got crucified in the media by analysts, economists, and other people being critical of the poor implementation of the Playbook and what's been described as a "beta version of the OS" (e.g., Globe and Mail full page review article of the device in May). They certainly can not afford to have existing adopters begin to bad mouth the product and actively persuade other people to hold of purchasing the device.

Sadly, this seems to already be occurring. For example, there are people on the forums here that recommend delaying any purchase of the Playbook. In my place of employment, the few people who have the Playbook are actively telling others "the device is cool but I would really wait or go somewhere else as there are too many features missing".

I dont think RIM can afford to have their early adopters turn on them.
    06-01-11 08:07 PM
    The pb does everything I require of it and then some. Added features are just a bonus imo, I'm ok with waiting as there's' nothing I need it to do that it can't do.
    06-01-11 08:10 PM
    You couldn't have posted this in one of the 50 or so other similar threads?

I agree its got a few bugs, that's no secret. You should have waited to buy or done more research before you pulled the trigger.

The updates will come. I really don't see it as being patient because I can't put the darn thing down as it is.
    06-01-11 08:14 PM
    Mid june is only 10 days away. Its a new platform. Give it some time. Emailmis rim's strong point, remember? Data encryption and data management is also their best. You can see from bridge. A bluetooth connection which is very quick, works very well and omitting us additional data plan. Its wonderful isnt it?

However If nothing comes out for pb1, At least there is pb2 coming soon, 10". What will it be called? Super professional grade? Hope pb2 will get native email.
    06-01-11 08:14 PM
    The European release is right around the corner, so there's definitely going to be an update before then. Just be patient.
    06-01-11 08:19 PM
    The samsung tab wifi for $350 does more than the playbook....and thats sad.
    06-01-11 08:23 PM
    I'm holding my PlayBook and channeling into the higher RIM energy levels. My psychic abilities are telling me that an update will occur very, very, VERY soon. I feel sometime in the next 13 hours.... I see native email, multiple bridge fixes including new functions such as dialing a number directly to your BB phone by clicking a contact number on bridge email, or web. I see new Custom themes in the future, with new menu transparencies and colors, configurable keypad size and functions. Proper camera functions such as WB adjustment, saturation, contrast, resolution, brightness. I also see new configurable gesture menu options. I'm also being bombarded by mental images of an ocean of new Apps... some of which will be sent from the heavens
    mmcpher and mckillio like this.
    06-01-11 08:42 PM
    I wonder if the early adopters of competitors tablets moaned as much as some on this forum. I'm too busy enjoying my PB to research that, but I bet there were equivalent issues of "patience conditioning." The current release is plenty functional, just use your PB more to make time go by faster, and the next release will be here in no time.
    06-01-11 08:43 PM
    The problem with simply crying about an update is suppose the update doesn't bring what you are waiting for. When people ask me about the PB I tell them i like ot because it does what I expect it to do ....not what another device does. It's not perfect but it is solid and I can't put it down.
    06-01-11 08:49 PM
    i'm sooo frustrated... I cant return it anymore. Still cant manage my email... RIM is blocking aMail... the apps are subpar... i dont know what to do
    Well, I hate to deliver the bad news but most of us have had 3 updates in the last week. We are running version 16.0.0.9999. Apparently the individuals struggling to remain patient have been identified and remain OS stagnant. Insiders have said you will actually be rolled back one OS at a time with each update until you are on the first OS. The final update will turn your playbook into a storm. I am sorry and wish you the best.
    cosmo497, rlarsen462 and zhafryy like this.
    06-01-11 08:52 PM
    Yeah i got tictac dance to complete experience. Not to say the excellent browser which got anvery informative progress blue line..advancing..slowing down..move forward...and voila! Mobile site! Isnt that beautiful?
    You guys check out games at appworld. Lots of similarities games..check whats the difference between two pictures! Revelation! Its absolutely necessarry for bored executive on the run, airport lounge or during flight. Wonderful!
    Patience is virtue. You are supposed to excited hoping for things to get better for an update! Just around the bend!
    bryanhayn likes this.
    06-01-11 09:06 PM
    Yeah i got tictac dance to complete experience. Not to say the excellent browser which got anvery informative progress blue line..advancing..slowing down..move forward...and voila! Mobile site! Isnt that beautiful?
    You guys check out games at appworld. Lots of similarities games..check whats the difference between two pictures! Revelation! Its absolutely necessarry for bored executive on the run, airport lounge or during flight. Wonderful!
    Patience is virtue. You are supposed to excited hoping for things to get better for an update! Just around the bend!
    Is the sportline decoder ring available on app world?
    06-01-11 09:14 PM
    you know ..

I just came back from a 10 day vacation .. and I took my PB. So I had no problems logging in to Hotel WiFi networks, using Hotmail to communicate and send pictures to friend and faamily in each stop we had and read the news from home. I did video and pictures, read the 3 books I had purchased through Kobo and played Sudoku Pro, I kept a daily dairy of some of the interesting things we did and places we visited using Word2Go. Even recorded all my vacation expenses using Sheets2Go.

When I got back, within 15 minutes i had selected and downloaded, through WiFi, 50 of 600 pictures from my camera's SD card plugged into my computer (6Mb/picture). I was back with my friends and family in the yard showing off pictures and videos making the stories all that much more interesting.

What more do you want???? I even got to use that "check for updates" button on multiple occasions!!! And battery life? Read hours on end, played games and never ran out of juice - charged it up once a day sometimes only every second day! Whinners ..
    Last edited by badboygt; 06-01-11 at 09:21 PM.
    06-01-11 09:14 PM
    Is the sportline decoder ring available on app world?
    Haha yeah for .99 get full app
    I read on a browser, say a mobile site. Then i pinch to zoom. The font get bigger, but should paragraph width adjust itself or not? So that i can still read whole width without moving the page left and right?
    06-01-11 09:27 PM
    I am getting real tired of all these whiners! RIM was straight with their users about features and availability of native email for the PlayBook - summer time frame - 60 days from release! When that date comes and goes we can start bashing RIM, until then put up and shut up! Sorry about being so abrasive but this is ridicules - what are we 12 years old.

I love my PlayBook and I think it is Awesome!
    06-01-11 10:09 PM
    The pb does everything I require of it and then some. Added features are just a bonus imo, I'm ok with waiting as there's' nothing I need it to do that it can't do.
    I agree. I work for a university and I teach Grad classes just using the PB. I log on to my browser-based email (OWA), access the learning management system, download student files, grade, take attendance, display Powerpoint slides, access Breeze (Adobe Connect) sessions (and yes of course Podcasts) and on and on and on. Actually, it's pretty cool to only carry in my PB to class. By the way, did I mention my textbook is all online also. I am also going to be getting access to Sharepoint which should be pretty cool also. What I'm also doing is using the voice note app to jog my memory and to remind me of my action items. If I wanted more I would lug a laptop into class which is really passe.
    06-01-11 10:34 PM
    Don't know if anyone else has made note of this but...if you check your calendar,
    depending on how you count it - The international launch of the PlayBook for UK etc, is exactly 58-60 days from launch, which is the timeline that Balsillie gave for native e-mail coming to the PlayBook.

Just an observation...but this could mean a very significant update coming just before international launch. Would make sense.
    06-01-11 10:48 PM
    I am getting real tired of all these whiners! RIM was straight with their users about features and availability of native email for the PlayBook - summer time frame - 60 days from release! When that date comes and goes we can start bashing RIM, until then put up and shut up! Sorry about being so abrasive but this is ridicules - what are we 12 years old.

I love my PlayBook and I think it is Awesome!
    You got the patience. Thats good. Most of fanboys got no patience. It should have been written boldly across the box :
    PROFESSIONAL GRADE TABLET
    NOT FOR WHINERS
    NOT FOR AMATEUR
    WAIT 60days FOR EMAIL IS NECESSARRY. YOU CAN PLAY TICTACTOE WHILE WAITING.
    bryanhayn likes this.
    06-01-11 10:49 PM
    Rim got two ceo,s. The first one make promises the other one negates it. No no not 2 weeks, 60 days, within 60 days. And so on.
    Android market just got zinio. Nice. We got readers digest. And $5 forbes.
    Kobo is fine but surely less books than kindle.
    06-01-11 11:09 PM
    I am also completely happy with my Playbook. It has a web browser, and I can use it to watch missed TV shows that required flash. Those of you unhappy with your PB are simply asking too much. If you want mail or Skype, use your phone. The PB is what it is, don't try or expect to change it. If you don't appreciate this nice little $500 awesome flash movie player with web browsing capability, get an android tablets or iPads.

Well for the first one, native mail client is a no brainier for an internet connected consumption device, which is PlayBook. Mail is part of the consumption of the web and therefore it is a must, no excuse. I don't need it personally because of blackberry bridge, but regardless... Now onto the second part of that, Considering we are using blackberries, there is no Skype there, or front facing camera for that matter.

The second thing is, at the moment that is What it essentially is, a 500 dollar browser screen. That is what is bothering me and so many other consumers. I know what QNX nutrino is and its capabilities, and so far what rim has put out is a shame. The Internationale Space Station circling planet earth is.... flipping in its orbit right now.

The problem is RIM is not competing for the first place, they are competing for the second. Its no secret iPad is the king of tablet devices simply because its so complete. Now looking at Android 3.0, its in a very similar shape as playbook, half finished, semi working tablet. RIM seen that, and is going after that spot to be the best, half assed released product.

I don't doubt that with TAT and QNX, PlayBook is going to be the king very soon, and im keeping mine simply to provide extra funding for RIM for the faster development. Man I hate always future tense when writing about Blackberry PlayBook.
    06-01-11 11:11 PM
124 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD