Sorry to be off topic guys...but I've dragged FLV files and a MKV file via WIFI to my PB...but they're not visible...is this supposed to happen or am i missing out on something?!
    04-25-11 01:27 AM
    Sorry to be off topic guys...but I've dragged FLV files and a MKV file via WIFI to my PB...but they're not visible...is this supposed to happen or am i missing out on something?!

ImageShack� - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Video types supported.

To be fair, I have had .avi that will not play, and some .mkv that will.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Oniberry; 04-25-11 at 01:39 AM.
    04-25-11 01:36 AM
    Now that I have my playbook I'm wondering where is the best place to download HD/blu ray quality movies so that I can take advantage of the magnificent screen. The normal torrent sites I go to don't have much selection.
    You want to download 1920x1080 movies to tak advantage of the 1024x600screen?
    04-25-11 02:26 AM
    480p or 720p will work and look mighty fine on the playbook. No need to go up to 1080p, its a total waste of storage space in such a tiny screen, unless you are planning on plugging it to a 40"+ tv.
    04-25-11 02:40 AM
    all 720p videos .avi format that I put on my PB are playing but with no sound.
    04-25-11 02:44 AM
    I guess not everyone is a saint like you. Tell me, how does it feel to never have jay walked or gone over the speed limit?
    Your logic is flawed. Jaywalking and Speeding are statutory offenses and merely victimless crimes (i.e., only illegal because the statute says it is illegal and not because it harms any individual) just like eating peanuts and walking backwards on a public sidewalk in New York. Stealing has a victim and is based on centuries of common law criminalizing it.

Therefore, your argument is invalid...thief.
    Last edited by NamelessLiar; 04-25-11 at 07:08 AM.
    04-25-11 07:03 AM
    I'm surprised that this is even being allowed to be talked about. Most open forums don't allow discussion of illegal activities.
    04-25-11 07:38 AM
    Your logic is flawed. Jaywalking and Speeding are statutory offenses and merely victimless crimes (i.e., only illegal because the statute says it is illegal and not because it harms any individual) just like eating peanuts and walking backwards on a public sidewalk in New York. Stealing has a victim and is based on centuries of common law criminalizing it.

No one implied downloading illegal movies. Some people go to torrent sites to download open HD movies. So don't go implying out of your *** and expect anyone to take you seriously.

Also, don't push your ideals onto people. No one enjoys that.
    Anyways, don't act like such a saint when you have nothing to back up your claim. I am sure you've done many worse things in your life.

Finally, no one asked you about your opinion on the situation. If someone wanted to know your opinion on the matter, they would have made a thread on said subject. So if you are not going to post helpful advice on OP's question, please don't post at all. No one wants to waste their time reading an unhelpful, useless, insulting post.
    frannip likes this.
    04-25-11 10:00 PM

Its illegal not because the statute says so, its illegal because it is a hazard. Deaths by car accident usually have been between 35 and 43 thousand people per year in the US in the past years. That includes drink and drive, text and drive, call and drive. Its illegal not because they wanted to make it so without a reason. It may not have a constant victim like stealing, but it does have its victims.

But either way, downloading illegal content is a whole different thing than speeding. However, speeding produces more harm than downloading illegal content, but just because you havent killed a whole family in a car accident doesnt mean it is harmless.

Anyways, i wouldnt allow discussions like that in a forum like this one, the sites discussed contain more warez content than "open" content. Even if you dont plan on downloading illegal stuff, others may be prone to do so when led to such sites. Which is usually why its considered "bad", even when not posting any links at all.
    Last edited by gbsn; 04-25-11 at 10:27 PM.
    04-25-11 10:20 PM
    I always try to go the legal route first but if I am limited by these movie studios not providing me a legal means to acquire the content then I am not ashamed to find another way.
    world saviour likes this.
    04-25-11 10:44 PM
    Dudes, we have no general speed limit in Germany, so please spare me with accident figures from the US. I drive speeds between 150 and 190 mph on a regular basis, even our family truck does 169 mph and sometimes I even drive over 220 mph if traffic permits. This is safer than traveling at 70-80 mph from Miami to Fort Lauderdale, where drivers don't even seem to know what a turn signal is supposed to be used for. Speed doesn't kill...the driver does, keep that in mind.
    Back to topic: You guys can argue about stealing media content as much as you want but it still remains stealing. Especially grown/adult people have NO excuse whatsoever to do that, unless of course you live on another planet and never have heard of pirated media. No, those latest movies available as torrents are NOT legal content and playing dumb may help your conscience, if you have one or your case in court but the truth is: Unless you guys are really ********, you know exactly what you are doing. I have friends who publish iOS apps and one is even working for a large movie studio. Their job(s) are maintained by paying customers, not by thieves. You don't like the price tag of certain media content? Simple solution: Stay away from it. Do you steal a Ferrari because it is too expensive for you and you can't afford it? Sorry for being that blunt but some people actually live from legal media content/apps sales.
    04-25-11 11:17 PM
    If I could steal that ferrari and get away with it - yes .. GTA style .. next.
    04-25-11 11:21 PM
    I always try to go the legal route first but if I am limited by these movie studios not providing me a legal means to acquire the content then I am not ashamed to find another way.
    Yeah, I always try to get my money legally from people but if they don't want to give it to me, I just take it from them.

Does this sound right to you?

What you are basically saying is: You ignore the law. Where is your limit doing that? Killing somebody or "just" stealing his car?

Lame excuse and extremely mature.
    04-25-11 11:22 PM
    If I could steal that ferrari and get away with it - yes .. GTA style .. next.
    Well at least you are blunt enough to tell us "yes, I'm a thief". I hope you don't mind if you get punished when/if they catch you. From time to time people get caught and you never know if you are going to be next. Thats actually the thrill of being a thief, you never think they catch you or actually care...until they do.
    04-25-11 11:27 PM
    Yeah, I always try to get my money legally from people but if they don't want to give it to me, I just take it from them.

Does this sound right to you?

What you are basically saying is: You ignore the law. Where is your limit doing that? Killing somebody or "just" stealing his car?

Lame excuse and extremely mature.
    Once again. DON'T throw stones, glass house. Everyone has done something that is not "legal". Unless you are the zombie-reincarnate of mother teresa, grow a pair.
    04-25-11 11:29 PM
    Dudes, we have no general speed limit in Germany, so please spare me with accident figures from the US. I drive speeds between 150 and 190 mph on a regular basis, even our family truck does 169 mph and sometimes I even drive over 220 mph if traffic permits. This is safer than traveling at 70-80 mph from Miami to Fort Lauderdale, where drivers don't even seem to know what a turn signal is supposed to be used for. Speed doesn't kill...the driver does, keep that in mind.
    Back to topic: You guys can argue about stealing media content as much as you want but it still remains stealing. Especially grown/adult people have NO excuse whatsoever to do that, unless of course you live on another planet and never have heard of pirated media. No, those latest movies available as torrents are NOT legal content and playing dumb may help your conscience, if you have one or your case in court but the truth is: Unless you guys are really ********, you know exactly what you are doing. I have friends who publish iOS apps and one is even working for a large movie studio. Their job(s) are maintained by paying customers, not by thieves. You don't like the price tag of certain media content? Simple solution: Stay away from it. Do you steal a Ferrari because it is too expensive for you and you can't afford it? Sorry for being that blunt but some people actually live from legal media content/apps sales.
    What car do you drive? Germany has speed limits for most of its highways only small spans have the speed free zones. Generally the parts with 3 or more lanes. You dont drive 220. You drive over 354 kph? i highly doubt your claim. Speed does kill. Your reaction time at 190-220mph must be insanely quick. Du bist ein dumkopf. I will agree driving in the US is bad but go to some other countries in Europe and see how they drive. Try Italy. It can be very scary when you are at 100 mph and a 550000 pound truck pulls in front of you ...at 190-220 you will die no matter what. Sorry for being OT.

I just stream most movies or rip them myself. i need to compress the **** out of my blue ray rips as most movies are about 20-30gb. a little too big for the playbook.
    Last edited by 8900Freak; 04-26-11 at 10:02 AM.
    04-26-11 08:04 AM
    Actually since 2003, in Canada it is legal to download P2P. So, I am not sure what you are alll talking about...lol

If they want to charge me 25 dollars on an MP3 player and most forms of recordable media, that is price we pay, or don't, as the case may be.

Germany does have speed limits.
    Speed does kill. Cause a lousy driver going at 3 mph wouldn't do much damage, same guy doing 150, a different story. Speed doesn't kill?! Haha

Copyright Board said uploading or distributing copyrighted works online appeared to be prohibited under current Canadian law.
    However, the country's copyright law does allow making a copy for personal use and does not address the source of that copy or whether the original has to be an authorized or noninfringing version, the board said.
    Under those laws, certain media are designated as appropriate for making personal copies of music, and producers pay a per-unit fee into a pool designed to compensate musicians and songwriters. Most audio tapes and CDs, and now MP3 players, are included in that category. Other mediums, such as DVDs, are not deemed appropriate for personal copying.
    Copyright Board said uploading or distributing copyrighted works online appeared to be prohibited under current Canadian law.
    However, the country's copyright law does allow making a copy for personal use and does not address the source of that copy or whether the original has to be an authorized or noninfringing version, the board said.

Under those laws, certain media are designated as appropriate for making personal copies of music, and producers pay a per-unit fee into a pool designed to compensate musicians and songwriters. Most audio tapes and CDs, and now MP3 players, are included in that category. Other mediums, such as DVDs, are not deemed appropriate for personal copying.

RIAA - DeNIED
    DMCA - Go away!!!!

Dude, I don't know what the laws are in Germany, or even the States. In Canada, I am covered.
    04-26-11 08:21 AM
    MODS- Please Lock This Thread. Can't believe this is allowed on crackberry forums.
    frannip likes this.
    04-26-11 08:23 AM
    Once again. DON'T throw stones, glass house. Everyone has done something that is not "legal". Unless you are the zombie-reincarnate of mother teresa, grow a pair.
    In that case, then it should be a free for all. A cop shouldn't be able to arrest you for a crime, a prosecuter shouldn't be able to prosecute you and a judge or jury shouldn't be able to pass judgement.

Here's the difference, I'm not asking on an internet forum for assistance in commiting whatever I may have done that wasn't "legal".
    04-26-11 09:10 AM
    MODS- Please Lock This Thread. Can't believe this is allowed on crackberry forums.
    Nothing wrong is going on here. Jesus, what is wrong with you people? Now we can't talk about acquiring legal digital backups of movies we already own?

In fact, I don't think we should talk about the Free PlayBook givaways because it will entice people to start stealing PlayBooks.
    04-26-11 09:38 AM
    AGREED! ... Please take your heated "legal vs moral" debate, including your evidence that supports your position, into its own thread as it has nothing to do with assisting this op with their dilemma. Or better yet, duke it out in emails amongst yourselves.

unreal ....
    04-26-11 10:21 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD