I love you dearly but I read contradiction, contradiction, dwibble and more contradiction. You asked a questionable question for someone with 319 posts, you received the satisfactory answers and in your own words the problem is solved, so apart from increasing your post count what are you actually trying to say? We should all shut up because your question has been satisfied. If your happy with your solution then leave others alone!
    All I'm saying is there's a time and a place. Some threads are all about chat and randomness - and I'm all for it - everybody should have one. All I'm questioning is does every thread have to end up like that - no more, no less.

Truth be told, I'm not entirely getting why people are so defensive and touchy. I'm not trying to say people shouldn't chat and talk trash, I'm just questioning whether the evil must sneak everywhere.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-13-13 07:11 PM
    Just to clarify, here, given the thinly disguised slights being thrown about, the reason for me saying what I said wasn't about this thread being "mine", nor that everything should be about me - and oddly, I think there's more than a slight hint of projection in that one - nor that I'm trying to play mod.

I just think there should be some signal as well as noise, that not every thread should be a race to obscurity, and you can't spend all your days posting stuff with the secondary hope that forum buddies will "like" your post.

In terms of what I asked, and what I ended up realising - well I guess more of a workaround - or perhaps sledgehammer to crack a nut, because apart from understanding, there's no way I'd go to the lengths of the de-brick procedure to restore them in another instance. Clearly preloaded media is in some protected area, and I had thought that if I could see the files / directory on my original PlayBook, using ghost commander (given that at least lets me see the filesystem from / downwards...), then within the same app I'd be able to map to my second PlayBook in the second pane, and copy them over - now I don�t have root access, so quite probably wouldn't be able to put them where they normally live, but quite possibly not having root is the reason why I can't actually find them (within the filesystem) on my original PlayBook (although quite patently they are there).

It's one thing knowing a technique that will put it all back, but another if that's complete overkill, and seventeenthly, as much as anything else I just wanted to understand.

I wasn�t trying to suggest that people shouldn't chat, have a ball, or whatever lights their candle, and whether or not, is certainly not all about me. Me and my ego know their place, and neither is a shrinking violet, but at least for me that's not why I wrote what I wrote. I simply said what I said, because not everybody will wade through it all, and I'm not assaulting the right, I merely suggested that surely it shouldn't be the default for practically every thread to end up that way. Who'd have thought that would be such a diabolical proposition. I mean it's not like I waded into an obscure thread and said "Stop it! Stop it NOW! Won't somebody, anybody puhhlleeaase think about the chiillddrruun?!".

It's not as if it's all or nothing, I'm not occluding any middle. There's plenty futz threads, and nothing to stop more, but by that same token, surely there's nothing wrong in the contention that not all threads should drift into playtime? That's not about me attempting to impose my will, merely equitably commenting that perhaps not all threads are for others' agendas, either.

Peace, out.
    Last edited by Wongsky; 04-14-13 at 07:19 AM.
    04-14-13 03:38 AM
    Gooseberries are logical beings (schooled from your Vulcan ancestors). I believe Wrongsky is rightsky on this one. We are in effect "hi-jacking" his thread, which is a no-no in forum etiquette. I will limit myself to bantering in the "pointless threads" in the future. Point taken.
    Can I come with you?
    04-14-13 06:35 AM
    Can I come with you?
    No.

Go to your room and ruminate on your behaviour, and don't come down 'til you've learnt your lesson, young man.
    04-14-13 07:21 AM
    Just to clarify, here, given the thinly disguised slights being thrown about, the reason for me saying what I said wasn't about this thread being "mine", nor that everything should be about me - and oddly, I think there's more than a slight hint of projection in that one - nor that I'm trying to play mod.

I just think there should be some signal as well as noise, that not every thread should be a race to obscurity, and you can't spend all your days posting stuff with the secondary hope that forum buddies will "like" your post.

In terms of what I asked, and what I ended up realising - well I guess more of a workaround - or perhaps sledgehammer to crack a nut, because apart from understanding, there's no way I'd go to the lengths of the de-brick procedure to restore them in another instance. Clearly preloaded media is in some protected area, and I had thought that if I could see the files / directory on my original PlayBook, using ghost commander (given that at least lets me see the filesystem from / downwards...), then within the same app I'd be able to map to my second PlayBook in the second pane, and copy them over - now I don’t have root access, so quite probably wouldn't be able to put them where they normally live, but quite possibly not having root is the reason why I can't actually find them (within the filesystem) on my original PlayBook (although quite patently they are there).

It's one thing knowing a technique that will put it all back, but another if that's complete overkill, and seventeenthly, as much as anything else I just wanted to understand.

I wasn’t trying to suggest that people shouldn't chat, have a ball, or whatever lights their candle, and whether or not, is certainly not all about me. Me and my ego know their place, and neither is a shrinking violet, but at least for me that's not why I wrote what I wrote. I simply said what I said, because not everybody will wade through it all, and I'm not assaulting the right, I merely suggested that surely it shouldn't be the default for practically every thread to end up that way. Who'd have thought that would be such a diabolical proposition. I mean it's not like I waded into an obscure thread and said "Stop it! Stop it NOW! Won't somebody, anybody puhhlleeaase think about the chiillddrruun?!".

It's not as if it's all or nothing, I'm not occluding any middle. There's plenty futz threads, and nothing to stop more, but by that same token, surely there's nothing wrong in the contention that not all threads should drift into playtime? That's not about me attempting to impose my will, merely equitably commenting that perhaps not all threads are for others' agendas, either.

Peace, out.
    I have to agree with at least two of your points. Not every thread should devolve into jokesterisms.

And restoring the included media should not require a backup and restore up to 64 gigs of data after a Debrick process - restoration can take many hours (backup probably should be routine. The various files have been posted before in some of those "storage" sites that are both helpful and nefarious. The links usually die and so finding them is often not possible after a few months. The wallpapers have been posted and both the original and slightly shortened HD Demo Video also have been posted (yes, the video exists in two versions). I'm not sure anyone cared enough for that one mp3 song to post it!
    04-14-13 09:33 AM
    Well, it was fun while it lasted. Made me feel like a young "bud" again. Sure it would be nice not to have to backup and debrick. But that is the price to pay for the locked down mobile OSs these days. They don't want you messing in the system files. BBRY prolly could have made them user accessible, tho. So they could be deleted if you wanted to.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-14-13 12:26 PM
    Well, it was fun while it lasted. Made me feel like a young "bud" again. Sure it would be nice not to have to backup and debrick. But that is the price to pay for the locked down mobile OSs these days. They don't want you messing in the system files. BBRY prolly could have made them user accessible, tho. So they could be deleted if you wanted to.
    Pssssssttt (said in a very low whisper) you only just managed to keep within the technical correctness of this forum then! Be careful!!!!!!!!

(Back to normal voice now), anyway do you know where your photos are? (if you don't, just say yes anyway) If not I can't help you anyway, sorry.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    04-14-13 12:53 PM
    Pssssssttt (said in a very low whisper) you only just managed to keep within the technical correctness of this forum then! Be careful!!!!!!!!

(Back to normal voice now), anyway do you know where your photos are? (if you don't, just say yes anyway) If not I can't help you anyway, sorry.
    Shhhh. Big Berry is watching. Sorry, couldn't resist. Last one, I swear...(slinking off to cellar to hide from Berry police).
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 04-14-13 at 11:56 PM.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-14-13 05:18 PM
    Shhhh. Big Berry is watching. Sorry, couldn't resist. Last one, I swear...(slinking off to cellar to hide from Berry police).
    Shhhhhhhhhh
    04-15-13 06:41 AM
    You misunderstand me - I'm not against people having fun, being off-topic - I'm just trying to say it's not good for a forum, long-term, if every thread becomes this sort of in-joke, that's all.

I've seen it happen in plenty of fora over the years, most are effectively dead, now.
    The Playbook is effectively dead now. The forum follows suit.
    The hardware is 2 years old. Development on OS has come to a standstill. App development has slowed to a trickle.
    All of this is normal and can be expected.

If / when Blackberry releases a new OS or device the forum will become busy again.
    Our banter will become lost in a sea of technical Q and A.

In the mean time new users should become familiar with the Search function.
    For example, a partial answer to your question is here.

I understand your point but this forum is barely technical. The OS and Apps & Games subforums are a little more technical.
    In real technical forums the threads are locked after an accepted answer.

Unfocused responses have always been the norm here. How many "I'm downloading the OS update now!", followed by 500 "Me too!" posts have we seen in the past?
    Last edited by Angus_CB; 04-15-13 at 08:12 AM.
    04-15-13 07:55 AM
    If / when Blackberry releases a new OS or device the forum will become busy again.
    I have tried to clarify this - I'm not trying to suggest that people suddenly stop towel-snapping each other - all I'm trying to suggest is does every thread have to descend into it? At no point have I suggested people stop creating foo threads, and talk about whatever it is lights their candle - merely that surely it shouldn't be the end game for every thread, that's all.

Now none of that is about this thread being one started by me, or me being against off-topic prattle, or it being all about me at all - actually quite the reverse.

There's a point here, that's being overreacted to, as if it's some fundamental assault on free-speech or freedom, but it's none of that. I've not waded into threads about randomness, and stood on a box and shouted "STOP IT!" - all I've done is questioned whether ever thread should end up like some in-group, in-joke. That's not restricting, gagging or impinging on anybody - merely suggesting that the subject and topic - you know, the signal, shouldn't be eradicated, either.

As to the device or platform being dead, that's just hyperbole - how many OS releases were there last year, and when was the last official one. That there's not been much official in the last couple of months is probably more about what's coming next than anything else.

There's nothing - at least as far as I can see - stopping anybody creating threads on whatever they seem to want to exchange pleasantries about - so all I'm saying is, does that sort of chat and banter have to pervade to every thread, that's all, no more, no less. No first amendments were harmed during the making of this rant.
    04-15-13 08:42 AM
    The Playbook is effectively dead now. The forum follows suit.
    The hardware is 2 years old. Development on OS has come to a standstill. App development has slowed to a trickle.
    All of this is normal and can be expected.

In the mean time new users should become familiar with the Search function.
    For example, a partial answer to your question is here.

I understand your point but this forum is barely technical. The OS and Apps & Games subforums are a little more technical.
    In real technical forums the threads are locked after an accepted answer.

Unfocused responses have always been the norm here. How many "I'm downloading the OS update now!", followed by 500 "Me too!" posts have we seen in the past?
    I don't know what you just said Mr dog but I have just taken you off my list and I am no longer going to bomb your kennel. To ensure that I stay in keeping with the technical aspects of this forum I will also say that I too have found my wallpapers that I thought I'd lost but didn't lost because they were there all the time.
    04-15-13 09:00 AM
    I have tried to clarify this - I'm not trying to suggest that people suddenly stop towel-snapping each other - all I'm trying to suggest is does every thread have to descend into it?
    If it wasn't for this crap the forum would be lifeless.
    Ok, I guess we could start a couple of threads of our own.

Since you brought the subject up, you go first.

The first amendment does not apply to a privately owned forum, myself (Canadian) or sad_old_man (Foreigner).
    04-15-13 10:22 AM
    Yet somebody was arguing we shouldn't / couldn't / wouldn't artificially perpetuate the life of the forum.

Let's not, and say I did...

What I'm struggling with, though, is - and clearly it bothers some, because it seems to irk and make them rage against the light - is what's so offensive about having chatty threads, and not polluting other threads? It's not like anybody is being told they can't chat / jive talk / golf clap anybody? I could understand it, if I was saying there's too much of it, and we need to pull the reins in - but all I'm really saying is, can't there be both? Does it need to extend to every thread?

You'd think I'd just shot somebody's dog or something... all I've been saying is why must it pervade every thread, no more no less.

The first amendment does not apply to a privately owned forum, myself (Canadian) or sad_old_man (Foreigner).
    Moi aussi - I'm also Johnny Foreigner (Brit / UK) - it was rather something of a joke...
    04-15-13 10:37 AM

Now I'm a foreigner now am i? Forget my last post, your back on the list and take photographs of your kennel because you won't have it for much longer!

Eh and how about neutering then, how do them things make you sit up?
    04-15-13 10:46 AM
    I'm US but clearly not worth starting WW3 over. I like the free-speech one but don't like the right to bear arms one (we have no arms). Gooseberries are peace-loving. It's not all posts. I think just S_O_M posts. S_O_M-free posts are pure and pristine. So there I said it and I am back at the top of the list. Really it is kinda hard to stop and go cold turkey.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 04-15-13 at 11:28 AM.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-15-13 11:18 AM
    I'm US but clearly not worth starting WW3 over. Gooseberries are peace-loving. It's not all posts. I think just S_O_M posts. S_O_M-free posts are pure and pristine. So there I said it and I am back at the top of the list.
    There are times when I get the impression that people (specifically gooseberries) think that I am somewhat thick. You don't fool me at all you gooseberry you! (did you get that, fool, gooseberry) oh never mind. Anyway I will contradict your opinion on my sanity by taking you off my list completely and placing you instead, on my Christmas card list. (your the only one by the way). Now that I have someone to send a Christmas card to, I must away to the cellar to celebrate my achievement!
    04-15-13 11:25 AM
    Haha. I guess we have chosen which thread to banter on. Here we go...Wheeee!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-15-13 11:36 AM
    Haha. I guess we have chosen which thread to banter on. Here we go...Wheeee!
    Ooopppss you conned me into that you little green thing you. I can almost feel the BB police warming up to come and get me. Your back at the top you heathen you!
    Attached Thumbnails Where do the stock wallpapers live?-imtrainages.jpg  
    04-15-13 11:41 AM
    Eh and how about neutering then, how do them things make you sit up?
    Oh no, not that again.
    04-15-13 06:42 PM
    Oh no, not that again.
    Oh yes that again dear likkle doggy woggy. I am sharpening my blunt rusty girl guide penknife as we speak!

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 09:54 AM
96 ... 234