It seems like there is no news coming out of Devcon? What's the deal?
    10-20-11 07:57 AM
    did you read the homepage ?
    CrackBerry.com
    10-20-11 07:59 AM
    did you read the homepage ?
    CrackBerry.com
    Yeah. Poynt got updated.

I am talking about news from Devcon. Employee interviews. The kind of stuff that we usually see. There's hardly any of that this year.
    10-20-11 08:04 AM
    Maybe they are so busy that we are gonna start seeing it on friday?

I am thinking the same thing..
    10-20-11 08:06 AM
    Lazaridis is a magician, he disappeared on the stage, I think he kind of mocked all of us who were waiting for some announcements regarding their update timeline, nice bbx concept, nice developer tools, but where are the finished products, when are they gonna deliver? August passed, Summer passed, Devcon passed... and nothing, this Devcon has been a major excuse for hidding major updates in a cloud... Lazaridis the magician.
    10-20-11 08:28 AM
    psychologically, people communicate good news more frequently then bad, or embarrassing, news.

from the bits that ive gleaned here and there on CB, not much good news.
    10-20-11 09:23 PM
    I'm actually disappointed with DevCon as I thought RIM would use the opportunity to announce some major apps. The biggest announcement was Facebook Chat and that's a 'meh' at best.
    10-20-11 09:40 PM
    Well, RIM is probably also not prepared with the DevCon... but they pushed it anyway...

Same thing happened with our PlayBook... it seem to me, that they are loosing the management control but still clueless...
    10-20-11 09:49 PM
    Here's something from the Globe and Mail newspaper. It's by Chris Umiatowski (the guy who was critical of RIM last week, and the one who was on CB during the recent earnings call).

RIM starts to build bridge over "app gap" - The Globe and Mail

Ever since Apple Inc. (AAPL-Q395.31-3.31-0.83%) launched the App Store for the iPhone, Research in Motion Ltd. (RIM-T22.61-0.17-0.75%) has been stuck playing catch-up. Relative to Apple, RIM has a history of offering a less powerful operating system and weak developer tools. This has resulted in not only fewer, but far less attractive mobile apps within BlackBerry App World. Industry pundits have referred to this problem as the "app gap".

After attending the BlackBerry Developer Conference (DevCon) in San Francisco this week, I can confidently say this problem is on its way to becoming a part of the past. The primary reasons for this are third party software developer kits and HTML5.

In speaking to gaming experts at DevCon, it is clear to me that most of the big name games are not programmed using native developer tools for iPhone or Google's (GOOG-Q583.672.970.51%)Android. Instead, they are coded using third-party platforms such as Marmalade or Unity. Both of these platforms now support BlackBerry. Dozens of high quality 3D games have recently been released to BlackBerry App World.

Aside from gaming, most other apps need to do a good job of presenting content to the user. This could involve weather forecasts, financial data, news, or location based services. In the past, BlackBerry developers have had to program these capabilities using Java. Today, the recognized path forward by developers is to use HTML5. This is a web-based programming language that allows a developer to write code one time, but publish an app for several mobile platforms including Apple's iOS, Android and BlackBerry.

Over the past two days at DevCon I've spoken to dozens of attendees about the future of mobile apps. What has become clear to me is that RIM will not suffer from an "app gap" problem in the future. HTML5 and third party gaming developer kits allow developers to deploy their applications to all of the major mobile phone platforms without re-coding their apps for each platform.

For RIM, this solves a major problem. It levels the playing field. It means that customers won't worry about being stuck with empty virtual shelves in their mobile app store. It means that mobile apps are less likely to be a source of competitive advantage for any one particular platform in the future.

RIM�s goal is to deliver a compelling mobile app experience for its consumers while maintaining a strong commitment to enterprise customers and a continued focus on security. Collaboration with third-party gaming developer platforms and strong HTML5 initiatives look to me like a huge step in the right direction for RIM.

It may not sound terribly exciting for RIM to play catch up to iOS and Android, but we need to remember the company has over 70 million active BlackBerry users, and this number is growing substantially every quarter. Every step RIM takes to catch up to the two leading smartphone platforms means that Microsoft has more work to do in order to beat out RIM for the #3 position in the smart phone platform race.

I�ll be leaving DevCon today. I came here to speak to as many developers as possible. I came with a fairly skeptical view on RIM�s future. I wanted to leave with a better understanding of the company�s competitive position. As an investor, this is not a story where you can draw conclusions based on any one particular conference. But I feel more comfortable as a shareholder having attended DevCon.

I�m not ready to say that I�ll remain a long-term shareholder, but I will be hanging onto my shares for now. I�m anxious to see how RIM executes with the Playbook 2.0 relaunch, and the initial launch of QNX-powered smartphones in early 2012.
    10-20-11 10:01 PM
    crackberry team must be tired after a very busy 3 days on the conference and socializing..and the nights beer and drinks at the bar..let them get some rest, there will be great news ahead.
    10-20-11 10:38 PM
    The only tangible time I've read is "early 2012"... not for anything else, but even my thesis in school during my college days have substantial timeframe and measurable objectives... otherwise, my professor will not happy with that and will surely give you a failing grade... but I just realized in real business world, you can escape with that...
    10-20-11 10:41 PM
    crackberry team must be tired after a very busy 3 days on the conference and socializing..and the nights beer and drinks at the bar..let them get some rest, there will be great news ahead.
    Haha yeah I think going to the bars and drinking were the only exciting thing for them to do. I wonder how much the winners of the contest enjoyed themselves?! Probably bored at the keynote since they probably weren't really developers! At least they got a playbook! Haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-11 11:06 PM
    They did announce some great stuff at DevCon... the new approach go development is huge, more than consumers realize. You want apps? They've created an environment that is conducive to developers who want to build (or port existing) great apps for the PB and future BB phones. Major stuff, removing all barriers to development and having so many important framework partners.

The only thing I'm personally not too happy about is that they said they would be showing QNX phones at DevCon. That didn't happen. But mark my words, RIM IS going to call a media event and officially announce OS 2.0 as soon as it's ready. Nobody is dumb enough to quietly launch it in an OTA upgrade and expect the "word to get out."

If they DON'T call an event and announce some stuff before holiday shopping begins, management needs to be fired, as well as all marketing and communications employees and contractors. If every single person on an internet forum gets it, how can a professional publicist NOT?
    southlander likes this.
    10-20-11 11:38 PM
    psychologically, people communicate good news more frequently then bad, or embarrassing, news.

from the bits that ive gleaned here and there on CB, not much good news.
    Quite the opposite.

Whining, moaning and grousing are far more prevalent in society than praise.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-20-11 11:46 PM
    My thoughts exactly. I am sure there will be updates or something by next week.
    10-20-11 11:56 PM
    My thoughts exactly. I am sure there will be updates or something by next week.
    Or perhaps after 60 days? lol
    10-21-11 01:09 AM
    If it aint out by Nov 15th I'll be pi$$ed.
    I've waited long enough (since launch).
    I'm tired of waiting.
    I did so much pb preaching to everyone I know... And as I repeat all the snag lines Jim has been giving out, RIM has done nothing but make a fool out of me. Times up RIM. (For me anyway... You have but a few short weeks)
    10-21-11 01:33 AM
    I have lost all confidence in RIM. Instead of just knuckling down and pushing the company forward they have made promises and have not delivered on one of them.

I can't wait for the consumer version of 2.0 to be released but I have zero expectations that this is any time soon.

They had the perfect opportunity to create some buzz with regard to the new BBX platform by actually demoing the prototypes they are testing and giving the devs a glimpse into the future. But NO... Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dee decide to turn DevCon into a GAMING expo.

How are you going to lure devs over to the platform when they have no idea what they're developing for and without even a basic time line for when the new OS will be released.

Right now the devs have the tools but a half baked PlayBook OS.

To top it all off millions of consumers have effectively purchased and end of line product in these OS7 devices which they are more than likely stuck with for 24 months and RIM made no mention of how OS7 will be treated going forward.

This is just crazy and lacks simple business foresight and planning.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-21-11 03:09 AM
    If it aint out by Nov 15th I'll be pi$$ed.
    I've waited long enough (since launch).
    I'm tired of waiting.
    I did so much pb preaching to everyone I know... And as I repeat all the snag lines Jim has been giving out, RIM has done nothing but make a fool out of me. Times up RIM. (For me anyway... You have but a few short weeks)
    That's a big part of the problem. Staunch supporters get burnt with friends and family because they quote the company line. And RIM's line is broken a lot lately.
    10-21-11 03:14 AM

It's becausE there was little that was newsworthy. I mean, seriously, everything exciting would have been coughed up asap on the blog pages. We got Poynt news and documents to go.... and heard they were talking with android developers. Thats all that happened.

Berryreporter, n4bb.com, berryreview... all silent. You can hear crickets, i swear.

And this talk of "let the crackberry team digest it all, they will report it" is nonsense. All news they got was quickly blogged... dont try that tactic; there is nothing more. WAAAAAY to many anxious and unhappy rim customers were on the edge of their seat waiting to hear Balsillie come thru with his promise that the new anticipated features would be demonstrated. No, they were fanbois just drop it. Your case was lost several broken promises ago, and now Balsillie will have to do more than damage control, its salvage time.
    FF22 and JeepBB like this.
    10-21-11 05:48 AM
    Rim needs to produce at this point! I have been supportive of them but anymore they are not showing us anything to give us hope or investors reason not to sell. All the public negativity surrounding Rim is bringing them down and if there is no change it will put them were Palm is!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
    10-21-11 06:07 AM
    This is my hope: RIM is aware that it has been talking the talk but has repeatedly been unable to walk the walk. So, it did not want to show us things that we could not have right away. That would be just more empty talk. Instead, it wants to be able to just release the update.

The difference between now and in the past is that we know things are going on now. We know that there are full featured beta versions out there. We know that Android Apps are being packaged as Playbook apps. We know that the Android Player will be a good integrated experience. We know that developers have a new set of tools that they are using. This is all quietly going on in the background.

When will OS2 be released? Your guess is as good as mine but I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am still hoping for a 2011 release but I have no evidence at all to back this up. Just a hunch.

Is time running out? It depends on what you mean. Let's face it, Playbook will probably never be anything more than something that some percentage of Blackberry users use. It's not going to be the major competitor to iPad. That's fine by me. If we have a vibrant platform and all the tools that we need, I would be happy. Yes. RIM blew this almost every way that it could have blown it but it still might salvage this platform.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-21-11 06:36 AM
    Kevin was hosting his own seminar so its likely he spent quite a bit of time preparing for that. There will likely be an update about deacon either today or tomorrow.

10-21-11 07:36 AM
    This is my hope: RIM is aware that it has been talking the talk but has repeatedly been unable to walk the walk. So, it did not want to show us things that we could not have right away.
    Hey you may have a point. They just MAY have done that... i would like to think that they r learning lessons. Balsillie isnt, given that unfulfilled "leapfrog" gaffe. Maybe the rest is. I dont know. Very plausible.

God, will somebody just shut Balsillie up?

10-21-11 07:37 AM
    Hey you may have a point. They just MAY have done that... i would like to think that they r learning lessons. Balsillie isnt, given that unfulfilled "leapfrog" gaffe. Maybe the rest is. I dont know. Very plausible.

God, will somebody just shut Balsillie up?

Here's the thing about this theory though. To me, having said so much already and after having missed so many deadlines - I think that RIM really is morally obligated to say something to its customers who listened to and beleived this stuff.

Someone somewhere should say something like: "We understand that we have announced a lot of things for Playbook that we have not released. We also understand that we have set a lot of deadlines that we have not met. This has been as frustrating to us as it has been to you. The only thing that we can say is that we are working on a major update for Playbook and we want you to be happy with it just like we want to be happy with the work that we have done. Many components of this major update are being beta tested. Others are being completed and readied for beta testing. When we are in a position to announce a firm release date, we will do that. We appreciate your patience."

I agree that Balsillie should not be allowed to speak in public. At best, he comes across like a snake oil salesman. At worst, he is unintelligible.
    10-21-11 07:51 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD