11-05-13 09:14 AM
126 123 ...
tools
    This is the elephant in the room: Another thread mentioned that the playbook battery starts to die from the time the device is made - not from when you buy it.

This means everyone's playbooks are going to start to die around the same time.

Well, what then?
    Are we all left stranded like the crew on a lost spaceship waiting for the air/food to run out? -
    Just drifting around the Crackberry site, checking the Playbook forum from time to time; wonderding if there's a peep on it - like survivors in the end of the world movies who keep checking their radios for a signal.

Just thought I'd ask since I'm a big fan of end of the world movies - and now interested in this real life senario.
    10-29-13 11:04 AM
    I'll probably troll the iPad section in iMore.
    10-29-13 11:11 AM
    When that time comes......I will probly take a look at the Apple LITE
    10-29-13 11:15 AM
    I am going to move to windows devices tables and phones and it's probably will happen soon.
    10-29-13 11:17 AM
    cannibalism!!!!!
    10-29-13 11:20 AM
    Batteries will not all die at once.... usage will determine this. And Batteries can be replace for a cheap as $22....

PlayBook is dieing a slow death as people find more useful devices that can fulfills their needs. The forums a slow because there isn't much to talk about... very few "new" users coming asking questions. No reason to speculate on the new update or new features. No reason to post much about new apps that were built for the PlayBook. But people are still using them for something, maybe as a media player for the kids or even a digital photo frame....
    GRojasHruska and richardat like this.
    10-29-13 11:21 AM
    Will go for an iPad Air in November. If BB would have announced a successor for the PB, I would have considered it, but....

I'm typing this on my PB, still use it daily, will still use it everyday for/at work. Great device, but time as come for an upgrade.
    dphjeff likes this.
    10-29-13 11:31 AM
    I agree all batteries start to die after they are made. But my experience with my PlayBooks has been that they are all performing well. My original 64gb used daily and often has shown little deterioration. My 32gb 4g does not last as long. Maybe only half as it only lasts about 4 hours with surfing and videos. My third is primarily used with my tv for watching shows and movies. I always use the batteries till they are down to below 9 percent then fully charged them. I think this full cycling keeps the batteries in better shape
    I will move on only if there is some game changing hardware or an app which I cannot live without. So far as I can see nothing else is much of an improvement.
    Last edited by jmartin4077; 10-29-13 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Addition
    10-29-13 11:34 AM
    For many Playbook was dead a long time ago and they have already moved on. There are so many decent and reasonably priced options out there you'd need to have your head examined to be purchasing parts to keep a playbook going.

Due primarily to boredom with the playbook that will likely never do anything more than I can use if for now, I opted to try out my first driod tablet. We'll see how it goes when it arrives. If it does what I use the playbook for as well or better, I will likely dump a few of the playbooks I own and keep moving forward.

Rim will never see another penny
    kbz1960, Carl Estes, web99 and 1 others like this.
    10-29-13 11:37 AM
    This is the elephant in the room: Another thread mentioned that the playbook battery starts to die from the time the device is made - not from when you buy it.

Well, what then?
    Are we all left stranded like the crew on a lost spaceship waiting for the air/food to run out? -
    Just drifting around the Crackberry site, checking the Playbook forum from time to time; wonderding if there's a peep on it - like survivors in the end of the world movies who keep checking their radios for a signal.

Just thought I'd ask since I'm a big fan of end of the world movies - and now interested in this real life senario.
    Well beaver I know for a fact that I'll go to heaven? And you?

Posted via CB10
    dphjeff, castoridae and Carl Estes like this.
    10-29-13 11:41 AM
    I agree all batteries start to die after they are made. But my experience with my PlayBooks has been that they are all performing well. My original 64gb used daily and often has shown little deterioration. My 32gb 4g does not last as long. Maybe only half as it only lasts about 4 hours with surfing and videos. My third is primarily used with my tv for watching shows and movies. I always use the batteries till they are down to below 9 percent then fully charged them. I think this full cycling keeps the batteries in better shape
    There may be argument as to whether repeated full cycling of Lipo batteries decrease battery life but most experts seem to think it does.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    castoridae likes this.
    10-29-13 11:41 AM
    Mine still works, will cross that bridge (no pun intended) when I get to it.
    10-29-13 11:44 AM
    My playbook's battery is still excellent after 1.5 years of use. I don't think battery dying will be the reason to stop using the playbook but rather you just want something newer.
    10-29-13 11:51 AM
    On to a tablet made by someone else, most likely a win8 one.
    dphjeff likes this.
    10-29-13 11:51 AM
    I'll try replacing the battery before I give up on it. There are OEM replacements on eBay and instructions on the web.
    10-29-13 11:59 AM
    Due primarily to boredom with the playbook that will likely never do anything more than I can use if for now, I opted to try out my first driod tablet. We'll see how it goes when it arrives
    Same here, finally gave in and bought a Nexus 7 (2013) last night. Still like the PlayBook OS better, but... well you know how it goes.

Both our PlayBooks are working fine though, no sign of batteries getting weaker. I'd expect they'll last a long, long time.
    BioDave1955 likes this.
    10-29-13 12:00 PM
    Ive been using the Surface Pro 2 and its a solid device for my needs. Lets me use one device instead of my laptop for installing leaks and iPad 3 for looking in the forums.
    dphjeff likes this.
    10-29-13 12:02 PM
    I simply keep it plugged in in my bathroom to listen to Pandora/Apollo while I'm showering, or surf while I ****. (TMI?)
    10-29-13 12:03 PM
    Forgot to mention that I could FINALLY get rid of my iPad. It was an alright device but I'm not a big fan of apple. Just my opinion.
    dphjeff likes this.
    10-29-13 12:05 PM
    Well beaver I know for a fact that I'll go to heaven? And you?

Posted via CB10
    I'm in heaven already - I have 2 playbooks and I know how to use them!
    10-29-13 12:12 PM
    Mine still works, will cross that bridge (no pun intended) when I get to it.
    Well, according to Scalemaster34, we can buy new batteries for about $25 (+/-). This has renewed my faith in the playbook.
    When I first heard about the battery thingy, it was like how you feel when you get a new puppy, and then you find out it has a terminal disease. You want to hang in there, still loving it, but knowing that eventually its going to die.

I now foresee people like me posting on how to install a battery for the playbook.
    I'm probably going to need a screwdriver.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-29-13 12:19 PM
    I'm in heaven already - I have 2 playbooks and I know how to use them!
    you do now that one days I iz going to find outs whereabouts you iz livin in news ealand and come and get you beaver????????
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-29-13 12:23 PM
    I simply keep it plugged in in my bathroom to listen to Pandora/Apollo while I'm showering, or surf while I ****. (TMI?)
    Or lost in space (the movie)
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-29-13 12:29 PM

Well, what then?

That's not right at all! All PB batteries are conditioned at pre-determined battery levels depending on the work order placed by BB engineering teams. So like any other battery they start their usage cycle the first time you charge them! Even if there is a SW update that needs to be installed after the unit is packaged, its run through the conditioning line again in packaging at the manufacturer.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    10-29-13 12:34 PM
    you do now that one days I iz going to find outs whereabouts you iz livin in news ealand and come and get you beaver????????
    Silly Lep - beavers are from Canada.
    Carl Estes and dazzleaj like this.
    10-29-13 12:39 PM
126 123 ...