So I sort of have a little issue...
    I own a Blackberry Storm 9530 and after 3+ years its starting to slowly die.

I have a screen issue where everything still works just the screen is really dim (and I mean can't see anything... un-useable dim) and the weird thing is sometimes if I hit it, it turns back on for awhile or if I literally bend the phone the screen brightens back up and I can see everything and use everything.

Now money is tight right now and I can't repair it... estimated cost $100, and I do not want to sign up on a new 3 year contract with a Blackberry 7 device (sorry Blackberry 10 is just so much better and I want to wait for it).

Right now I have my phone bridged and I can use my BBM and my Email and even when someone calls since I can't see it on my phone I look to my Playbook and see whether or not I want to answer it (depending who's calling) now the only problem is I have a lot of friends who own iphones and when they text I literaly cant reply and I have to spend about 15 minutes trying to press the right spots to call them lol!

So my question again, when or is SMS going to come to the Playbook!?!
    06-15-12 11:48 AM
    Either in the next Dev Beta update or when they officially release 2.1
    06-15-12 11:56 AM
    has there been any further news towards a next beta update, or an official 2.1 release?
    06-15-12 11:58 AM
    Either in the next Dev Beta update or when they officially release 2.1
    By any chance will that be in the next few days so I can text!?!
    Lol..........

I have a feeling Im going to need a new phone.
    snarlybear likes this.
    06-15-12 11:58 AM
    I'm sure you can find a cheapy on craigslist or Kijiji for around $50 just until BB 10 comes out
    f0xG3 likes this.
    06-15-12 12:20 PM
    There is the app sms bridge in app world. Have you considered that?
    It takes an incoming text and converts it to an email. The email shows on the PB. When you respond to the email it sends it back to the phone and out as an sms. If you do a lot of texting it will clog your inbox with messages that will have to be deleted.

I have a 9000 you could have if it's worth the shipping from the states and will work on your carrier.
    kbz1960 and jafobabe like this.
    06-15-12 12:20 PM
    Last I heard... sometime in July..... Beta 2.1 only came out a couple of weeks ago... so 2 months would be a good guess.....
    06-15-12 12:45 PM
    I'm guessing by mid-July 2.1 official will be released.
    06-15-12 12:54 PM
    While waiting for the bridged SMS,.. take a look at TXTForward for the BB - and you can already have some SMS from the PB....if you really need it... and it is also a very handy SMS/PIN messages backup solution...

I have been using this app since the release, and - it just works...

you can send SMS from e-mail as well.... by replying to the backup mail from an incoming SMS ... it works...
    06-15-12 01:57 PM
    it is on 2.1 (we can see it in the bar files) but the access is currently blocked so ..whenever 2.1 is out
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    06-15-12 06:23 PM
    The current 2.1 beta OS already has it.

It's whenever the Bridge gets updated on your handset.
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-15-12 06:52 PM
    You could sideload a Android text application and use that but it won't be your phones number of course.
    06-15-12 09:28 PM
    The Bridge will need to be updated before the SMS can show on the PB...

I believe that it will come shortly (or at the same time) as the PB's 2.1 becomes official.
    06-15-12 10:09 PM
    Thanks for all replies, I was going to download some of the text apps suggested but sadly my Storm did not make it through the night
    Using my sisters old Curve 8530 in pink.....

Still hoping for an SMS update and I cannot wait till I get my BlackBerry 10 device!
    06-16-12 07:52 AM
    Thanks for all replies, I was going to download some of the text apps suggested but sadly my Storm did not make it through the night
    Using my sisters old Curve 8530 in pink.....

Still hoping for an SMS update and I cannot wait till I get my BlackBerry 10 device!
    Anyone asks just say they need their eyes testing its blatantly green. Then mutter something about the colour combo they are wearing.

Masculinity restored.
    Vorkosigan and LewLew23 like this.
    06-16-12 09:46 AM
    Or just tell them pink is the new black. lol

I'm looking forward to sms on the bridge as well - but purely out of laziness. My boss can't seem to figure out how to forward a text he receives from the paging company as a bbm so he forwards to me as a text - as it is after hours I've usually plugged in my phone to charge after a busy day and I'm using my pb for all my 'after hours' work. It's a pain to have to go and grab my phone again.
    06-16-12 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD