10-25-12 08:58 AM
29 12
tools
    hey guys,

my PB is over a year old, I need new hardware and would like to update it. Its a 64gb, wifi only Playbook. When are we getting updated specs? Ipad 3 and 4 came out within a couple of months away from each other, with upgraded specs. how about us??
    10-23-12 11:41 PM
    larger screen, faster, more memory, upgraded resolution, USB OTG, SD card, etc....
    10-23-12 11:42 PM
    hey guys,

my PB is over a year old, I need new hardware and would like to update it. Its a 64gb, wifi only Playbook. When are we getting updated specs? Ipad 3 and 4 came out within a couple of months away from each other, with upgraded specs. how about us??
    Why do we need new hardware when the playbook is comparable to the iPad 4 specs
    masterscarhead1 likes this.
    10-23-12 11:43 PM
    I think you may have to wait a while. Although with Rim, things are always just around the corner, within 6 months, 90 days, or timed to match some event!
    10-24-12 12:34 AM
    You should compare your 18 month old PlayBooks specs to the new IPad mini thats yet to be released. I think the PlayBook not only holds its own but honestly it outshines the iPad mini in almost every spec category except for battery and apps.

My PlayBook's hardware is doing fine but I guess bb10 will be the real test
    BerryClever likes this.
    10-24-12 01:08 AM
    hey guys,

I read there are a good amount of people starting to get sick of the how iPad keeps on "updating" their hardware. That is one thing I love about the PB, RIM gave it great specs from the start and doesn't screw their customers with re-releases every few months. Right now there is little reason for an updated hardware when it comes to the PlayBook. I wouldn't mind seeing more memory but even that isn't too important with how QNX handles it. There maybe some gimicky improvements like screen resolution, but for it's size it really isn't a necessity.

In the end, there is no reason to update the hardware right now. To buy another PB for it to be a few grams lighter, 2 seconds faster with the apps, have 10 apps open at once rather than 9, and add a few pixels to the HD quality screen would all be a waste of at least $200. Remember, this is RIM, not Apple.... their consumers don't normally just upgrade because the TV tells them too. Ok, to be fair, RIM doesn't exactly have a marketing team.

Specs aren't as important today, it is the OS that is the important thing. "Upgraded" specs are more for marketing than anything... you can only shave off so many seconds now, not minutes, you can only shave off grams, not pounds, you can only add more pixels to already HD picture.

That said, a 10inch BlackBerry should be out after the BB10 sometime. I personally cannot wait! Going to hold off on MS Surface to see which will be the better option for me.
    10-24-12 01:12 AM
    makes me feel good to read this thread, to find people that recognize the true workhorse that the PB is. fact is, spec wise it beats out the ipad mini, which was released long time ago in the tech world..when will people wake up and smell the coffee( i know i know, tomorrow morning, beating the smart as_ folk to the punch line).

a good portion of apple products are just average at best.

Look out world BB10 is coming.

peace out
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    10-24-12 01:32 AM
    no even close, the mini maybe but not the 4
    10-24-12 06:46 AM
    I think you may have to wait a while. Although with Rim, things are always just around the corner, within 6 months, 90 days, or timed to match some event!
    When is Feature X is coming out? I'm pretty sure it's in the next release. When is App Y coming out? It will come out during BB10 launch. How come we haven't heard anything about it? RIM is keeping things secret, so that 1) the competition can't steal their ideas, 2) it'll make a big splash.
    10-24-12 07:19 AM
    Why would RIM compound their first mistake (the PlayBook, which sold poorly and distracted RIM) with an updated one?
    Oh wait... It's RIM.
    I doubt there will be new hardware.
    10-24-12 07:21 AM
    agreed, it cannot compete with ipad 4 but yes to the mini.

A 1y old tablet is an eternity in terms of tech life cycle. If RIM is a tech company, they should come up with the latest tech. If they sell the old one at current prices and a new one around 400$, they could acutally make money....
    10-24-12 09:54 AM
    If they need to make an iPad killer, they need to add a microSD slot + make the tablet lighter + add Skype + open it to the android market.
    10-24-12 10:01 AM
    I doubt we'll ever see it.
    10-24-12 10:08 AM
    how about a laptop dock connector (the kickstand case/keyboard combo from Rim pales in comparison to Surface), or a whole desktop dock (USB port replicator, larger screen, corded phone headset) to replace an entire mac or pc?

I dont know if they decreased their hardware refresh cycle due to delay with BB10 software, but boy they are not competitive at the moment. And when will they ever be???? the tablet is over 1y old!!
    10-24-12 10:15 AM
    but boy they are not competitive at the moment. And when will they ever be???? the tablet is over 1y old!!
    Except that they have a newer one that was released a month or two ago.
    10-24-12 10:18 AM
    you mean the 32gb one in a world of 64gb or with SD support? The screen was reported as a step down from the wifi version. Bezel just as large, no extra screen real estate. Same res. Same battery life. Same rubber back. No new accessory to maximize synergy.

1.5gh is a nice increase. Not earth shattering, but nice. That is about it....
    10-24-12 10:35 AM
    you mean the 32gb one in a world of 64gb or with SD support?
    SD support like on iPad and a number of other tablets that don't have it? I was surprised they didn't do a 64 GB one too. Must be watching their inventory.

That said, it does have a faster processor and LTE and it's incorrect to say they haven't updated PlayBook in a year.
    10-24-12 10:38 AM
    Keep in mind people were wowed by the initial specs of the original playbook
    10-24-12 10:39 AM
    Jim Balsillie, is that you?

There is zero chance of another tablet from RIM until after BB10 is tested on the current PB--and then only if it is very favorably reviewed.
    10-24-12 10:55 AM
    I tend to agree with you. Better software is what will increase ATP of future playbooks, and help bring RIM back in the black
    10-24-12 11:07 AM
    Your not going to get any new hardware as RIM will throw all it has to back BB10. Should of had at least double GB by now.
    10-24-12 11:11 AM
    If BlackBerry10 is successful the next tablet from RIM will probably be the Black Forrest as per the road map. 128 gig of BlackBerry10 on 10 inch screen with possibly a detachable keyboard like surface.

This is what I day dream about anyway
    BerryClever likes this.
    10-24-12 07:47 PM
    no even close, the mini maybe but not the 4
    The ipad mini is considered to be the ipad 4
    10-24-12 08:56 PM
    I think the hardware is just doing fine. it is the os and the eco system that needs an upgrade....

http://srimanapps.wordpress.com
    BerryClever likes this.
    10-24-12 09:00 PM
    The ipad mini is considered to be the ipad 4
    negative...there is an ipad 4 and an ipad mini

iPad 4 release date, news and features | News | TechRadar
    10-24-12 09:11 PM
29 12